A certain rabblerouser

For topics not directly related to eikaiwa.
Forum rules
The basic forum rules are here :wink: . Refer to the BBCode Guide for information on using BBCode tags, plus this post about additional tags for embedding video.
angryboy
Busdriver
Busdriver

Re: A certain rabblerouser

Unread post by angryboy » Sat May 14, 2011 9:42 am

Dragon Ranger Burai wrote:
Pretty disturbing stuff. I get the impression that Debito really can't handle any criticism or dissent whatsoever.
I think the issue is is that he KNOWS he is not wrong and everybody else is.Such blatantly and obviously wrong posters
get banned.It`s as simple as that in his head.
Like you,I used to respect the guy for fighting for the cause even if he was shit stirring and looking for trouble but now
he`s just plain loony.
[quote="valve-bouncer"]Fuck me, I hope to christ you are a troll because the possibility of someone so mind-numbingly boring as you walking amongst us gives me the fear.[/quote]

senseiman
9 miles of bad road
9 miles of bad road

Unread post by senseiman » Sat May 14, 2011 10:36 am

LMAO, he reviewed his own book? What an idiot.

I think I'm in the same boat as Angryboy, I once found him interesting as a guy fighting discrimination but now just find him to be more of a paranoid caricature who can't be taken even remotely seriously.
祇園精舎の鐘の聲、諸行無常の響あり。娑羅雙樹の花の色、盛者必衰のことわりをあらはす。おごれる人も久しからず、唯春の夜の夢のごとし。たけき者も遂にほろびぬ、偏に風の前の塵に同じ。

InTheColdLightOfDay
9 miles of bad road
9 miles of bad road

Unread post by InTheColdLightOfDay » Wed May 18, 2011 4:52 pm

I had a look on lulu.com and found his book, but I couldn't see his review.
Maybe you have to be a member (or maybe I just wasn't looking hard enough). Any chance someone could post a copy of his review?
Each monkeys has different face. It's very difficult to distinguish monkey's face, like we can't memorize foreigner's face.

Level3
9 miles of bad road
9 miles of bad road

Unread post by Level3 » Wed May 18, 2011 5:27 pm

InTheColdLightOfDay wrote:I had a look on lulu.com and found his book, but I couldn't see his review.
Maybe you have to be a member (or maybe I just wasn't looking hard enough). Any chance someone could post a copy of his review?
From the preview, it looks like a real page-turner. Literally.
In roughly 12-point font on B5 paper with generous margins and plenty of extra white space at chapter pages and between paragraphs, you really need to be turning pages fast just to read it.
The densest page in the preview has about the industry-standard 250 words, so for this 149 page novel(la), (143 if you consider he starts on Page 7, possibly even less) you're looking at a maximum of 35,000 words. A couple hours of reading. But double that to factor in the breaks for large amounts of alcohol to dull the pain.

As posted under his own 5-star (of course) rating.
By Arudou Debito
"In Appropriate" is a novel by author ARUDOU Debito, a 23-year resident of Japan, the JUST BE CAUSE Japan Times newspaper columnist, and a naturalized Japanese citizen. He exposes a dark side of family ties in Japan, one rarely seen with such insight and depth.

The author writes: "IN APPROPRIATE is about more than just divorce: I wanted to describe how a person would find fascination in Japan and Japanese people, come over during Japan's Bubble Era to see Japan ripe with opportunity, and find how Japan went sour as an economy over the past two decades. It was wonderful to recount as a Bubble-Era veteran -- when in the late 1980's Japan looked poised to take over the world, and even challenge notions of how capitalism works -- and see how, step-by-step, Japanese society would be squeezed and squeezed, convinced that recovery was right around the corner just like Godot. How a person could assimilate himself to the point of founding his own company, becoming bilingual in Japanese, even taking Japanese citizenship, yet be blindsided by events that were nearly always beyond his control. IN APPROPRIATE is much more than just a story of divorce -- it's a time capsule charting Japan's descent into mediocrity and comparative international irrelevance."

His nonfiction books include "Handbook for Newcomers, Migrants, and Immigrants to Japan", and “Japanese Only: The Otaru Hot Springs Case and Racial Discrimination in Japan" (English and Japanese). He lives in Sapporo
:rotfl:
"Facts all come with points of view. Facts don't do what I want them to." - Talking Heads

sirwanksalot
Masturbateur
Masturbateur

Unread post by sirwanksalot » Wed May 18, 2011 6:25 pm

Dave Arsewinker wrote:He lives in Sapporo

Completely unnecessary sentence at the end of his own review. I will buck the trend and not buy the book. " In Appropriate" Is a stupid title in my opinion as well but then again what do I know. I'm not an author.

Level3
9 miles of bad road
9 miles of bad road

Unread post by Level3 » Wed May 18, 2011 6:55 pm

Still, I think I'd rather read debito's book than one of Amy Chavez's.

But that's in the same category as ranking which bone you'd rather have broken.
"Facts all come with points of view. Facts don't do what I want them to." - Talking Heads

Dragon Ranger Burai
Fresh & Minty
Fresh & Minty

Unread post by Dragon Ranger Burai » Thu May 19, 2011 2:08 am

sirwanksalot wrote:" In Appropriate" Is a stupid title in my opinion as well but then again what do I know. I'm not an author.
Judging from lulu's preview pages of his novel, Debito isn't much of one, either.

Okay, pretty unfair to judge the whole book based on the first two pages, but the guy starts slamming Japan in the first bloody paragraph! So his character flies into Japan and starts going on about "The Eye" and an "invisible hand on the scruff of your neck, compelling you towards collective behavior." Sounds like he's walking into Mordor, for Pete's sake.

I'll admit, I have a morbid curiosity to read his book, but can't justify paying money for it. It just seems like Debito going off on a 150-page rant. Again, I haven't read it, but I don't think I'm too far off the mark.

My advice to Debito would be to leave Japan if it's such a living hell. But without Japan, what would he be?

SamhainP8
Dronus japonica
Dronus japonica

Unread post by SamhainP8 » Thu May 19, 2011 7:55 am

"IN APPROPRIATE is about more than just divorce
IN APPROPRIATE is much more than just a story of divorce
Anyone who took an elective in physcology could see that what he’s basically saying here is that the book is all about his divorce. :rotfl:

Edit: Spelling FAIL!
Last edited by SamhainP8 on Wed May 25, 2011 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Do you know how a falcon is trained, my dear? Her eyes are sewn shut. Blinded temporarily, she suffers the whims of her God patiently, until her will is submerged and she learns to serve - as your God taught and blinded you with crosses."

Level3
9 miles of bad road
9 miles of bad road

Unread post by Level3 » Mon May 23, 2011 1:43 am

PanicInducingGaijin wrote:
Dragon Ranger Burai wrote:3) Debito acquaintance/friend/whatever Jennifer Beamer giving him a glowing review for his novella while making the outrageous claim that negative reviews should be ignored as "they did not read the book!!!"
It's possible this is true, for I'm guessing that almost no one has read the book.
I get your joke there, but the reviews given at tepido have too much detail.

But debito has jumped his last shark as of this weekend. Someone trolled him with a story that the critical tepido site was not only collecting "63 names and emails" of debito commenters for some sort of revenge cyber-stalking campaign, but also discussing it openly for all to see, but then all the posts were conveniently deleted... by aliens I think.

And debito bought it.

And then started publishing names and emails of tepido commenters, in effect begging his fans to harass them.
Officially jumping the "I am a hateful paranoid loon" shark. Anyone who stays a fan after this is either eagerly waiting with a paper cup and asking when the Kool-Aid will be ready, or just trolls pretending to be fans for the entertainment value.

Though there is worry that this paranoid story was NOT the work of a troll, but by a debito fan or debito himself. yikes.

I'd say get the popcorn ready, but I have the same sick feeling here I did watching the white Bronco back in 1994. This can't end well.

Dragon Ranger Burai
Fresh & Minty
Fresh & Minty

Unread post by Dragon Ranger Burai » Mon May 23, 2011 3:09 am

Level3 wrote: But debito has jumped his last shark as of this weekend. Someone trolled him with a story that the critical tepido site was not only collecting "63 names and emails" of debito commenters for some sort of revenge cyber-stalking campaign, but also discussing it openly for all to see, but then all the posts were conveniently deleted... by aliens I think.

And debito bought it.

And then started publishing names and emails of tepido commenters, in effect begging his fans to harass them.
Officially jumping the "I am a hateful paranoid loon" shark.
Yeah, I've been watching the drama unfold on both sites.

Y'know, for a guy who demands "Source, please" from his critics, he's very lenient on allowing unsubstantiated posts from a trustworthy guy like Anonymous. If you can't trust Anonymous, then who can you trust?

But seriously, he blundered into this one far too easily. Common sense would have dictated that he not respond to the post, but his paranoia got the better of him.

inflames
9 miles of bad road
9 miles of bad road

Unread post by inflames » Mon May 23, 2011 9:43 pm

PanicInducingGaijin wrote: I have plenty of male Japanese friends. My theory of why Debito has none is that it has a lot more to do with Debito than it does with half a nation's population.
To be fair, I agree with some of what was posted in that thread.

Are they the lemmings?
Eikaiwa Hero
Eikaiwa Hero

Unread post by Are they the lemmings? » Tue May 24, 2011 12:14 pm

PanicInducingGaijin wrote:Several theories abounded…
And I'll wager none of them involved Debito and his cohorts being the cause of their inability to form friendships with Japanese men.

What's more, several theories cannot abound. Either there were several theories or theories abounded.
Ahead! Groove factor five! Yeah!

Level3
9 miles of bad road
9 miles of bad road

Unread post by Level3 » Tue May 24, 2011 1:28 pm

Are they the lemmings? wrote:
PanicInducingGaijin wrote:Several theories abounded…
And I'll wager none of them involved Debito and his cohorts being the cause of their inability to form friendships with Japanese men.

What's more, several theories cannot abound. Either there were several theories or theories abounded.
Yet another case of "I do not think that word means what you think it means" from Ivy-League grad and professor of eikaiwa debito :roll:

Here a recent one.
So let me counterbalance "fly-jin" by coining a word too: "sheeple."
http://search.japantimes.co.jp/cgi-bin/ ... 503ad.html

yes, debito apparently invented the word "sheeple" :rotfl:

Tall Tall Tree
Cassandra
Cassandra

Unread post by Tall Tall Tree » Sun May 29, 2011 1:45 pm

Just read that In Appropriate review and all the comments, including those by Debito and his white knights.

Gotta wonder: Is there anything in life that makes this poor man happy? Does he have anything which gives him joy?

InTheColdLightOfDay
9 miles of bad road
9 miles of bad road

Unread post by InTheColdLightOfDay » Sun May 29, 2011 2:21 pm

Tall Tall Tree wrote:Gotta wonder: Is there anything in life that makes this poor man happy? Does he have anything which gives him joy?
Righting wrongs, fighting the good fight and battling injustice wherever it rears it's ugly head.
He's basically a one-man A-Team.
Each monkeys has different face. It's very difficult to distinguish monkey's face, like we can't memorize foreigner's face.

allblacks
Drop Kick Artist
Drop Kick Artist

Unread post by allblacks » Sun May 29, 2011 5:41 pm

InTheColdLightOfDay wrote:
Tall Tall Tree wrote:Gotta wonder: Is there anything in life that makes this poor man happy? Does he have anything which gives him joy?
Righting wrongs, fighting the good fight and battling injustice wherever it rears it's ugly head.
He's basically a one-man A-Team.

I can see him as B.A. BARACCUS. Oops! Sorry I mean KONG... :lol:
Donald Trump "You know what Uranium does? Lots of things, nuclear and like lots of things."

steki47

Unread post by steki47 » Sun May 29, 2011 7:33 pm

HagiwaraMai wrote:
inflames wrote:
PanicInducingGaijin wrote: I have plenty of male Japanese friends. My theory of why Debito has none is that it has a lot more to do with Debito than it does with half a nation's population.
To be fair, I agree with some of what was posted in that thread.
Me too, but it's worth a thread all of its own to discuss it.
Yes, that would be a good thread. To go with our threads complaining about Japanese women!

Shawn
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: At Mitch & Murray, holding on to the good leads and preparing sets of steak knives

Unread post by Shawn » Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:22 am

This has to be said: With the way Debito rants in his columns, it's time to give Amy Chavez a kick at the can. Maybe Debito could try his hand at humor? He seems to have tragedy down pat. :cheers:

Level3
9 miles of bad road
9 miles of bad road

Unread post by Level3 » Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:54 pm

Shawn wrote:This has to be said: With the way Debito rants in his columns, it's time to give Amy Chavez a kick at the can. Maybe Debito could try his hand at humor? He seems to have tragedy down pat. :cheers:
Geez Shawn, you're just not conscious of your place among the Anglo "diaspora".
Debito's latest JT piece is yet another unresearched, fact-free speculation as to why all us long-term gaijin in Japan didn't join his little club. Apparently we "lack a sense of affinity with strangers despite potential ascriptive commonalities", :blah:
(seems like he's saying: we should be friends and form organizations with people because we have the same skin color? race-based grouping? really?)
and we're "self-interested, rent-seeking" whatever that implies. People who want to pay their rent are selfish? What does that make someone who wants 10,000 a year for membership in his inactive club and sells [well, TRIES to sell] "gaijin welcome" (with included advertisement for http://www.debito.org) shop-window stickers at 1500 yen?
And the cartoon (nicely drawn, not by debito) makes those who criticize debito out as US Civil War Southern Rebel redneck gun-toting hicks.
Basically one step below just putting the 95% of Anglo long-termers in Japan who think debito is a joke in Brownshirts and swastikas.

Persuasion is not the goal apparently.

Sum it up in one sentence. We didn't join his club because obviously it is WE who are flawed.
A parody of himself.
Last edited by Level3 on Sat Dec 22, 2012 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Shawn
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: At Mitch & Murray, holding on to the good leads and preparing sets of steak knives

Unread post by Shawn » Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:42 pm

Level3 wrote:Geez Shawn, you're just not conscious of your place among the Anglo "diaspora".
Debito's latest JT piece is yet another unresearched, fact-free speculation as to why all us long-term gaijin in Japan didn't join his little club. Apparently we "lack a sense of affinity with strangers despite potential ascriptive commonalities", :blah:
Went back and re-read the article. Did a lot of :rotfl: and :roll:
WTF? There's a gaijin diaspora on? Still going on about that non-word, "flyjin." :zzz:
It's an important question: Why are some minorities in Japan less able to organize than others?

Let's focus on the English-language community, since this very forum is part of it.

It might be a numbers or a longevity issue, since English-speaking residents might arguably seem to be comparatively few or staying a shorter time.
No data to back this assumption? of course not! That would require work! Here he talks about the "English-language community" but in the previous paragraph cites the Chinese and Zainichi Koreans. Hmmm....comparing a language group with two ethnic groups. Think there's a problem here? What do you do with English-speaking Chinese and Koreans?

The cartoon is interesting. Focusing on the targets would have been more powerful--Debito's arguments are full of holes--but that wouldn't support his column. Anyway,

Draft Amy Chavez! :drunk:

allblacks
Drop Kick Artist
Drop Kick Artist

Unread post by allblacks » Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:48 pm

This guy did a lot for the foreign community with his activism years ago. Specifically Im talking about the Onsen case up north quite a while ago.

However, now what we see is a very jaded individual that is confused about his own identity. He goes on and on about how he is Japanese. And yet he thinks hes in the right to criticize non Japanese living here for not thinking or acting in a way he would like. For not joining his club. For not writing things on his site that "suit the mood."

As I said previously Im done with the guy. Its just interesting to see his next stupid move. And I do like to read about that HERE on LJ.
Donald Trump "You know what Uranium does? Lots of things, nuclear and like lots of things."

senseiman
9 miles of bad road
9 miles of bad road

Unread post by senseiman » Tue Jun 07, 2011 4:24 pm

The title of his latest made me think he was nursing wounds against everyone who has joined the anti-debito bandwagon (ie pretty much everyone).

Anyway, the real failing in the article is simply that he is trying to answer a question that doesn't really merit asking. Why do English speakers not band together like Chinese, Koreans and Brazilians do? I mean....it is just too obvious to even be worth writing an article about. More of them, they stay longer, they have stronger ties, they don't come from numerous different countries, etc etc.

It doesn't help his cause that, as Level3 notes, he uses academic terminology in an article clearly targeted at a general readership either. That is kind of nitpicking though.
祇園精舎の鐘の聲、諸行無常の響あり。娑羅雙樹の花の色、盛者必衰のことわりをあらはす。おごれる人も久しからず、唯春の夜の夢のごとし。たけき者も遂にほろびぬ、偏に風の前の塵に同じ。

Are they the lemmings?
Eikaiwa Hero
Eikaiwa Hero

Unread post by Are they the lemmings? » Tue Jun 07, 2011 5:03 pm

Fools! You've missed the hidden message. Can't you see?!?!
Debito wrote:ascriptive commonalities
can be rearranged to spell
"I... I love moist scat. Crap in me!"
"Clam? No, its a vomit piece, sir"
[Edited to add:] I would gladly pay 2,000 yen to see a show by a band called Vomit Piece.
Last edited by Are they the lemmings? on Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wage Slave
Shockproof shit detector
Shockproof shit detector

Unread post by Wage Slave » Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:12 pm

Don't hesitate to spoil the ship for a ha'porth of tar. You'll get credit for saving the ha'penny and someone else will get the blame for losing the ship.

Are they the lemmings?
Eikaiwa Hero
Eikaiwa Hero

Unread post by Are they the lemmings? » Wed Jun 08, 2011 11:20 am

I wonder if Debito would call it "potential ascriptive commonality" when used by police to determine whether someone belonging to a specific social group may or may not be involved in a crime. Somehow, I don't think he would; I suspect he'd call it [all together now]......

Schizm
Frustrated Realist
Frustrated Realist

Unread post by Schizm » Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:08 pm

Why does he care so much about non-Japanese and whether or not they get along? He is Japanese and let's everyone know it.........
PaulH doesn't know much about anything.

senseiman
9 miles of bad road
9 miles of bad road

Unread post by senseiman » Fri Jul 08, 2011 4:13 pm

Overwhelmingly negative wave of reaction to Debito's most recent JT article:

http://search.japantimes.co.jp/cgi-bin/ ... 705hs.html

Makes for an interesting read. 11 responses, all but 1 of them negative.

Are they the lemmings?
Eikaiwa Hero
Eikaiwa Hero

Unread post by Are they the lemmings? » Fri Jul 08, 2011 5:01 pm

Are they the lemmings? wrote:I wonder if Debito would call it "potential ascriptive commonality" when used by police to determine whether someone belonging to a specific social group may or may not be involved in a crime. Somehow, I don't think he would; I suspect he'd call it [all together now]......
Forgot about that post. No-one joined in, so here is the answer: Racial profiling.

Level3
9 miles of bad road
9 miles of bad road

Unread post by Level3 » Mon Sep 05, 2011 12:48 pm

I'm pretty sure some LJers know a thing or two about import/export.

An issue has come up in the debito/tepido furball in which someone found a bill of lading showing debito shipping books to Canada, with addresses and everything (not published on tepido, but easily Googled). Basically it is not only proof that he is planning on leaving Japan long term (if he hasn't already), but shows where he apparently is moving to. He has long hinted at leaving for some sort of "research opportunity", but nothing concrete. What he chooses to do with debito.org and his odd campaign if he even further removes himself from Japanese society is a question.
But I don't really care about this basically harmless "gotcha" revelation. (Harmless in that tepido.org does not have a history of contacting employers trying to get their enemies fired, trying to embarrass people at academic conferences for personal reasons, publishing email addresses for the rabid fans to harass people into silence, and various other tactics to silence critics rather than defeat them in honest debate..maybe because they can't? etc.. But anyway...)

The big question for me is: When you ship something out of Japan, can you reasonably expect that the record of the shipment will be available with a quick Google search of your name with a few educated guesses?
Scary.
Last edited by Level3 on Sat Dec 22, 2012 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

allblacks
Drop Kick Artist
Drop Kick Artist

Unread post by allblacks » Mon Sep 05, 2011 1:54 pm

Hmm. I dont know if thats proof of him leaving as such. Just because you send something to yourself doesnt mean you handle the import procedures at destination. In fact most countries require certification to enter port facilities and the average joe cant get these. ALSO if a BL is surrendered ANYONE can pick the stuff up with a copy only. All they will need to show is that they are acting on behalf of the consignee (addressee).

We do this all the time with cars that go on their own. And also with containers.

ABs