lifes little greats

For topics not directly related to eikaiwa.
Forum rules
The basic forum rules are here :wink: . Refer to the BBCode Guide for information on using BBCode tags, plus this post about additional tags for embedding video.
inflames
9 miles of bad road
9 miles of bad road

Re: lifes little greats

Unread post by inflames » Tue May 31, 2016 11:48 am

Costco.

I'm tall but thin, which means I have a hard time finding shirts in my size. Went to Costco on Saturday with missus and mom - got 3 shirts in my size for 2300 yen each. Shirts fit perfectly - no weird stuff about the collar being huge or the sleeves being too short, and the price was great. Going to the one in Kyoto today to see if they have pants in my size (Amagasaki didn't). Missus has a nomikai after work so the pizza is perfect.

Missus just kind of wandered off when we were there and mom decided to join on the spot. Apparently mom went with dad the next day - dad told her she couldn't come there otherwise she'd gain weight.

scanman
Enthusiastic Newbie
Enthusiastic Newbie

Unread post by scanman » Tue May 31, 2016 4:15 pm

Find UNIQLO quite good and reasonable. Usually have my size and pretty cheap.

In The Know
Cassandra
Cassandra

Unread post by In The Know » Tue May 31, 2016 9:52 pm

inflames wrote:Apparently mom went with dad the next day - dad told her she couldn't come there otherwise she'd gain weight.
:shock: It's important to keep the romance alive. "Communication" is a key part of that. :luck:

AsahiSupaSpy
Eikaiwa Hero
Eikaiwa Hero

Unread post by AsahiSupaSpy » Wed Jun 01, 2016 10:32 am

Love the Costco pizzas. The closest Costco is about an hour's drive from me but I'd do it just for that.
Do NOT arrest this man.

Shawn
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: At Mitch & Murray, holding on to the good leads and preparing sets of steak knives

Unread post by Shawn » Thu Jun 02, 2016 3:28 am

AsahiSupaSpy wrote:Love the Costco pizzas. The closest Costco is about an hour's drive from me but I'd do it just for that.
Definitely worth it. :thumbsup: I usually buy a couple, slice them up, wrap them, and toss them in the freezer. Great for when you want a quick meal. The Costco food court is damn good, too. Hell of a lot cheaper (and tastier) than McD's.

lordCONAN
Eikaiwa Hero
Eikaiwa Hero

Unread post by lordCONAN » Thu Jun 02, 2016 6:48 am

I must say I am glad for Costcos placement in Hiroshima, 15 minute bike ride from downtown, food court is on the outside (which is good if you don't have a membership, but terrible if you do cause the line can be long), right next to the baseball stadium.

allblacks

Unread post by allblacks » Thu Jun 02, 2016 7:38 am

They sell meat pies at my local Costco at 1200 yen for four. Freezer them and very quick reheat in the microwave.

MacGyver
Shockproof shit detector
Shockproof shit detector

Unread post by MacGyver » Thu Jun 02, 2016 10:28 am

Costco would be pretty good if it was nearby. The closest one to me at any point (even when I lived in Tokyo) was an hour and a half away. But even then I'd only go mostly for the pizzas, hot dogs, (food court) and a few other items. Perhaps when I get a proper pantry and big (dedicated) freezer it might be worthwhile. Otherwise, it's pretty "meh" for me. When I did go, though, I went went an American buddy, basically I tagged along with him as he was interested and had the membership so it was only ever a day out for me, and he would spend sometimes up to 200K yen. One time, I had somewhere to be (I drove us there) so had to leave by 3pm. We arrived at 10am and at 2:30pm I was literally dragging him kicking and screaming to the cash register with his two (Costco sized) trolleys. Even after almost 5 hours of shopping, he still hadn't had enough/finished....
"Yous guys talk a lotta shit. I'm much more smarter than all a yous." - Samurai Jerk after being owned by the Let's Japan crew.

sirwanksalot
Masturbateur
Masturbateur

Unread post by sirwanksalot » Thu Jun 02, 2016 11:39 am

I just went for the first time and loaded up on goodies! Will go again for sure. I was in and out in 30 minutes and got a hotdog on the way out.

steki47

Unread post by steki47 » Mon Jul 11, 2016 11:25 am

I figure it is time to share my big news:
1. Got a full-time uni position. Good for 5 years.
2. The wife and I are buying a condo and moving into the big city.

Lots of meetings with designers and loan officers and lots of packing to do, but by September, we should be moved in and ready to start the next chapter. It is all happening so fast that our heads are spinning.

sirwanksalot
Masturbateur
Masturbateur

Unread post by sirwanksalot » Mon Jul 11, 2016 2:12 pm

Good work! Congrats! I'll sleep on your sofa when I visit Nagoya!

steki47

Unread post by steki47 » Mon Jul 11, 2016 2:29 pm

sirwanksalot wrote:Good work! Congrats! I'll sleep on your sofa when I visit Nagoya!
Thank you! Yes, we are shopping for a sofa bed. You are very welcome to visit.

Never got to have a sayonara pitcher with you.

allblacks

Unread post by allblacks » Tue Jul 12, 2016 12:17 am

Well done Steki. It's a big step mate. Good luck

steki47

Unread post by steki47 » Tue Jul 12, 2016 9:35 am

allblacks wrote:Well done Steki. It's a big step mate. Good luck
Thanks, man! It has been nerve-wracking looking at those big numbers, but it will be worth it in the end.

allblacks

Unread post by allblacks » Tue Jul 12, 2016 6:34 pm

Another great... I'm about 1/3 done with my mortgage. Have been making some voluntary payments when I could. Would really be great to be able to take a bigger chunk off it of course but happy nonetheless.

sirwanksalot
Masturbateur
Masturbateur

Unread post by sirwanksalot » Tue Jul 12, 2016 7:07 pm

steki47 wrote:
sirwanksalot wrote:Good work! Congrats! I'll sleep on your sofa when I visit Nagoya!

Thanks! I'll take you up on that one day! No need for a sayonara pitcher. I'm back by the beach. Fuck living in the big city and taking the train everyday. Back in Aichi and working as a cook in a kitchen. It's kind of cool to work with fire and knives.

steki47

Unread post by steki47 » Tue Jul 12, 2016 9:09 pm

sirwanksalot wrote:
steki47 wrote:

Thanks! I'll take you up on that one day! No need for a sayonara pitcher. I'm back by the beach. Fuck living in the big city and taking the train everyday. Back in Aichi and working as a cook in a kitchen. It's kind of cool to work with fire and knives.
Fuck yeah! Hit me up!

MacGyver
Shockproof shit detector
Shockproof shit detector

Unread post by MacGyver » Wed Jul 13, 2016 8:49 pm

sirwanksalot wrote:No need for a sayonara pitcher. I'm back by the beach. Fuck living in the big city and taking the train everyday. Back in Aichi and working as a cook in a kitchen. It's kind of cool to work with fire and knives.
Shit, what happened???? You had a job and a place lined up. What made you change your mind to move back so quickly?
"Yous guys talk a lotta shit. I'm much more smarter than all a yous." - Samurai Jerk after being owned by the Let's Japan crew.

allblacks

Unread post by allblacks » Sat Jul 23, 2016 7:21 pm

Someone decided to put down witches hats and plastic rope. No more parking up for days in front of my apartment building.

Sucked in to the guy in the dented up Toyota and the chick in the Aerio sedan. Both of you have gotten away with it far too long.

allblacks

Unread post by allblacks » Sun Oct 16, 2016 5:27 pm

Planning a trip out of Japan over new year... Keeps me sane and the added bonus of being in a pool rather than freezing my balls off here.

So boring over new years in Japan! Lol

sirwanksalot
Masturbateur
Masturbateur

Unread post by sirwanksalot » Sun Oct 30, 2016 1:18 pm

Went to a Brazilian club and was the only non Brazzo in the place, Ruled the dance floor with a hot brazzo chick. Some dude came up and had some words with us about me not being Brazilian....I assume... Couldn't understand a thing but the 10 or so friends who we came with made sure the guy understood that we had a lot of back. Continued ruling the dance floor after that.

allblacks

Unread post by allblacks » Sun Jan 08, 2017 8:01 pm

Happy New year to all.

Spent mine in Thailand and had a quiet relaxing few days in an AirBNB apartment there.

Came back to the usual stuff going on in Osaka. Another year of the same I guess but working harder due to staff leaving the last few months.

allblacks

Unread post by allblacks » Sun Aug 13, 2017 5:23 pm

Jesus. No greats for 6 months?

Im getting a new (to me) car in two weeks. Cant wait! Really low kms and great condition Subaru Levorg. Zero issues getting a bank loan from MUFG for the full amount.

Lets see what else?

My daughter is almost 16. Only two more years and she is out the door! Son is 11 so he has more time. (Im a believer in kids getting out of the house and starting their own lives rather than the Jp method).

This year we are getting a new kitchen from Ikea. Tired of the old one so spend a bit of money and get a nice new one.

RalphWiggum
LJ Oracle
LJ Oracle

Unread post by RalphWiggum » Sun Aug 13, 2017 6:07 pm

6 months is too long, yeah!

We just came back from our bi-yearly Japan trip. Had a blast, spent quality time with the in-laws, went up to Shiretoko and saw wild bears, ate and drank myself silly. Now just about to pay off 20% of my mortgage and knock 5 years off the total repayment length...
Shit wank bollocks

BergKatse
Hopeless Drone
Hopeless Drone

Unread post by BergKatse » Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:20 pm

RalphWiggum wrote:
Sun Aug 13, 2017 6:07 pm
Now just about to pay off 20% of my mortgage and knock 5 years off the total repayment length...
I loooooove doing that! Hasn't happened for a while, but I remember that feeling.

senseiman
9 miles of bad road
9 miles of bad road

Unread post by senseiman » Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:43 pm

BergKatse wrote:
Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:20 pm
RalphWiggum wrote:
Now just about to pay off 20% of my mortgage and knock 5 years off the total repayment length...
I loooooove doing that! Hasn't happened for a while, but I remember that feeling.
Yeah that is pretty sweet. I have 29 years left on mine. I am tempted to pay it down, but the interest I pay on it is so low I can put the money to better uses, which is kind of weird.
祇園精舎の鐘の聲、諸行無常の響あり。娑羅雙樹の花の色、盛者必衰のことわりをあらはす。おごれる人も久しからず、唯春の夜の夢のごとし。たけき者も遂にほろびぬ、偏に風の前の塵に同じ。

RalphWiggum
LJ Oracle
LJ Oracle

Unread post by RalphWiggum » Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:50 pm

senseiman wrote:
Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:43 pm
BergKatse wrote:
Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:20 pm
RalphWiggum wrote:
Yeah that is pretty sweet. I have 29 years left on mine. I am tempted to pay it down, but the interest I pay on it is so low I can put the money to better uses, which is kind of weird.
The interest rate here is incredibly low too but I just want to mortgage-free as soon as possible - the mortgage is my biggest outgoing each month by a country mile and if I can get rid of it I could be saving a decent amount.
Shit wank bollocks

MacGyver
Shockproof shit detector
Shockproof shit detector

Unread post by MacGyver » Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:03 pm

senseiman wrote:
I am tempted to pay it down, but the interest I pay on it is so low I can put the money to better uses, which is kind of weird.
I recently bought a house in my neck of the woods (finally) and like you I was happy to pay it off as is and invest in other things, but seeing as the wife is terrified of pretty much any investment, we've decided to pay off ours in 10 years. Our interest rate is 1% (or maybe 0.9%) on 23 million yen, but even then that works out to be a fair chunk of change over 35 years. Hence, if we ain't gonna invest, we might as well pay it off ASAP.

RalphWiggum
LJ Oracle
LJ Oracle

Unread post by RalphWiggum » Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:58 pm

MacGyver wrote:
Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:03 pm
senseiman wrote:
I am tempted to pay it down, but the interest I pay on it is so low I can put the money to better uses, which is kind of weird.
I recently bought a house in my neck of the woods (finally) and like you I was happy to pay it off as is and invest in other things, but seeing as the wife is terrified of pretty much any investment, we've decided to pay off ours in 10 years. Our interest rate is 1% (or maybe 0.9%) on 23 million yen, but even then that works out to be a fair chunk of change over 35 years. Hence, if we ain't gonna invest, we might as well pay it off ASAP.
Where are you based Mac, and what does 23 million get you?
Shit wank bollocks

MacGyver
Shockproof shit detector
Shockproof shit detector

Unread post by MacGyver » Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:11 am

RalphWiggum wrote:
Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:58 pm
Where are you based Mac, and what does 23 million get you?
The house is in Fujinomiya but as it is being renovated we're still at my wife's house in Fuji. Both places are basically on the border about 2.5 kms apart, so like 5 mins drive or 25 mins walk. House and land was 15 mn: land is 450 m2 and house is 150 m2. House is 25 years old. Renovations will cost 8 mn. Basically a full reno (inside and out) except for kitchen and floors, and also includes 4 air-cons (as in the cost includes the price of replacing 4 (old) air-cons and installing the new ones). There's a pre-fab office next to the house, and of the 8 mn, that'll be just over 1 mn. I'm getting a toilet and kitchenette put in plus they gonna put sliding on the outside as it's run down. Oh, and the house is pink. Yes, we're getting it re-painted. :wink: Gonna do a lightish gray as the house is kind of a weatherboard style and with the window frames, door, and large balcony (it's about the size of a 6 tatami mat room) being white and the roof charcoal black, it should be a nice contrast. With fees, I guess its just under 25 mn all in.

Seems like renos are taking forever. We made an offer on the house in April and settled in May, and renos started in June. So far, they've extended my office to put in the toilet (but yet to install toilet or kitchenette), pulled out a window in the house and replaced it with a sliding door (it's near the kitchen and next to a concreted space outside which I'm going to turn into my BBQ area, hence the sliding door to give us easy access to the kitchen), pulled out the toilets and bathroom, replaced one toilet (there are two in the house) and they've just about finished wallpapering the entire house. Still to go: put in the bathroom and other toilet, put in lights (all lights being replaced with LEDs), replace the tatami mats in the washitsu, polish the floor boards, paint the house, touch-up the roof, and put sliding on the office walls. The reno guy (company) gave us a rough completion date of October but I'd say that'd be the end of Oct at earliest. Sounds like the issue is getting workers in to do the work. Although three weeks to wallpaper a house?!?!?! Hmmmmm.

There is a bunch of things I want/have to do but was gonna wait until we moved in but I've lost patience so I'm just gonna start doing it. Namely, tiding up the garden (weeding and so forth), sealing the balcony (it leaks badly when it rains and is over the BBQ area), and moving some of the balcony drainage pipes (the pipes in question drain onto the concrete BBQ area so I'm gonna move them so they drain into the surrounding, non-concreted area). Other than the garden, the rest of the land has gravel (for cars to drive onto and park) but I'm thinking about ripping up some of the gravel near the BBQ area and turning it into grass. But can't do that until we move. Unfortunately, that also means I'll have to wait until next year as I'll have missed the growing window. But that's not a bad thing as it'll give me time to live in it and decide if that's really what I wanna do. Ah yes, the fun and games, and joys, of owning a house!