lifes little greats

For topics not directly related to eikaiwa.
Forum rules
The basic forum rules are here :wink: . Refer to the BBCode Guide for information on using BBCode tags, plus this post about additional tags for embedding video.
wilde_oscar
9 miles of bad road
9 miles of bad road

Re: lifes little greats

Unread post by wilde_oscar » Thu Jan 14, 2016 9:00 am

Never try to teach a pig to sing - it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

steki47

Unread post by steki47 » Thu Jan 14, 2016 11:04 am

wilde_oscar wrote:SMAP have finally broken up.
This morning over breakfast, my wife told me more than I cared to know about this.

sirwanksalot
Masturbateur
Masturbateur

Unread post by sirwanksalot » Fri Jan 15, 2016 7:12 pm

I just accepted a job in Tokyo that pays double what I earn now. That plus I'm interviewing for another job that I conveniently will have time to work at in the mornings. Hello 12 hour days!

senseiman
9 miles of bad road
9 miles of bad road

Unread post by senseiman » Wed Feb 03, 2016 4:15 pm

I am officially a permanent resident of this country now. Not really a `great`, but it does save me from constantly having to renew my visa and will make it a bit easier to do stuff, like maybe buying a house and actually settling down.
祇園精舎の鐘の聲、諸行無常の響あり。娑羅雙樹の花の色、盛者必衰のことわりをあらはす。おごれる人も久しからず、唯春の夜の夢のごとし。たけき者も遂にほろびぬ、偏に風の前の塵に同じ。

steki47

Unread post by steki47 » Wed Feb 03, 2016 4:42 pm

Congrats!

ShonaiBen
Eikaiwa Hero
Eikaiwa Hero

Unread post by ShonaiBen » Wed Feb 03, 2016 6:37 pm

2nd the congrats!.........it does give you peace of mind as far as the visa renewal goes.
Shit Sticks to the Wall.........

lordCONAN
Eikaiwa Hero
Eikaiwa Hero

Unread post by lordCONAN » Wed Feb 03, 2016 7:49 pm

senseiman wrote:I am officially a permanent resident of this country now. Not really a `great`, but it does save me from constantly having to renew my visa and will make it a bit easier to do stuff, like maybe buying a house and actually settling down.
I'm also in the process of collecting all the necessary documents and such to file my application.

Got any pointers?

MacGyver
Shockproof shit detector
Shockproof shit detector

Unread post by MacGyver » Thu Feb 04, 2016 9:35 am

lordCONAN wrote:I'm also in the process of collecting all the necessary documents and such to file my application.

Got any pointers?
A friend of mine got rejected recently actually. I presume it is because he is self-employed.

As for pointers, so clearly having a stable job working for the man is a plus. Having paid all your taxes (you have to prove this) as well. But that's really about it. Just do the paperwork and you should be golden. There was a (very small) section on the application form that asked why you want PR but I don't think I filled it out. Or if I did it was one sentence. I know some who have written essays. Might be useful for you to do that. Didn't seem to matter in my case so who knows. Otherwise, it's just a mountain load of paperwork (certainly seemed a lot to me) but other than that, and the 6 to 12 month wait (8 in my case I think), it's piss easy. Still quite shocked my friend didn't get his but as I say I think the self-employed thing might have made a difference. And he is single. But as they don't tell you, who knows. It is definitely easier when you have a wife and kids from what I can gather.
"Yous guys talk a lotta shit. I'm much more smarter than all a yous." - Samurai Jerk after being owned by the Let's Japan crew.

senseiman
9 miles of bad road
9 miles of bad road

Unread post by senseiman » Thu Feb 04, 2016 11:42 am

Thanks guys!

In my case it was unexpectedly easy. In fact, I wasn`t even intending to apply for PR when I went to immigration last summer. I was just planning on renewing my spouse visa, but the person at the counter told me `You qualify for permanent residency, why don`t you apply for that too while you are here?`

The paperwork I needed was actually identical to what I needed for the spouse visa (tax forms from the ward office, passport, etc) so all I had to do was fill in an additional form right there on the spot, which took about 15 minutes or so, and I just submitted both applications (for spouse visa and PR) simultaneously without having to prepare any other documents.

The new spouse visa was ready in about 2 weeks, and last week I got a postcard in the mail saying to come down to immigration to pick up my PR visa (basically just a new zairyuu card). I think that was about 7-8 months after I applied. Easy as that.

I think in my case the ease I had was due to meeting all the requirements they look at - more than 10 years residency in Japan with no run ins with the law, married to a Japanese citizen for more than a decade (and father of a Japanese citizen), steady job that pays reasonably well (and able to show I`ve been paying taxes).

As Mac`s friend`s case indicates, the weight they attribute to these factors is a bit vague, so long as you have a steady income and have been paying taxes you are probably good (assuming you have lived here long enough). Being married to a citizen helps, but probably isn`t going to prevent you from getting it. Not having a job or not having paid taxes are likely the biggest red flags for them.
祇園精舎の鐘の聲、諸行無常の響あり。娑羅雙樹の花の色、盛者必衰のことわりをあらはす。おごれる人も久しからず、唯春の夜の夢のごとし。たけき者も遂にほろびぬ、偏に風の前の塵に同じ。

MacGyver
Shockproof shit detector
Shockproof shit detector

Unread post by MacGyver » Thu Feb 04, 2016 12:40 pm

senseiman wrote:Not having a job or not having paid taxes are likely the biggest red flags for them.
Back to my friend, I strongly suspect from what he told me the other day about trying to get a mortgage in NZ (where he's from) that he is playing fast and loose with his taxes here. As he is self-employed (freelance translator and auditor) he gets income from both within and without of Japan, and the income he gets from OS I strong suspect he doesn't declare some or all of it. The other day he essentially said he'll have to start declaring all of his taxes to get a mortgage. Clearly having income in Japan he does declare some, but how much that is, and how big a role total income plays in the mind of immigration, I have no idea. But I gather, as sensei said, having a family, stable job, and good income all help. The fact that he has none of these (well, I think his income is good, easily better than an English teachers for point of reference but immigration may not be getting the full picture) probably, well clearly, counted against him.

A friend of mine was like you sensei. He rolled up to renew another visa and even though he technically didn't qualify, they said apply anyway cause you'll get it. But in his case he'd been married 10 yrs and had a kid, even though, at the time, he'd only been in Japan for 3 yrs, whereas qualification is 5 yrs. he also works for a big, stable US company and makes more money than I'll see in my lifetime (well, not that good, but I only know traders and CEOs who make more).
"Yous guys talk a lotta shit. I'm much more smarter than all a yous." - Samurai Jerk after being owned by the Let's Japan crew.

sirwanksalot
Masturbateur
Masturbateur

Unread post by sirwanksalot » Thu Feb 04, 2016 3:56 pm

MacGyver wrote:
lordCONAN wrote:I'm also in the process of collecting all the necessary documents and such to file my application.

Got any pointers?
A friend of mine got rejected recently actually. I presume it is because he is self-employed.

I'm going to go and work for the man myself for a year or two and see if I can get it the next time I apply. I'm also going to walk in with an immigration lawyer. A friend of mine got rejected and did just that the next time he applied and he claims that they did not have to wait in line.

Congrats senseiman!

senseiman
9 miles of bad road
9 miles of bad road

Unread post by senseiman » Fri Feb 05, 2016 11:40 am

Yeah, Mac, if your friend wasn`t able to show a decent income through tax records that would probably have hindered him, at least in the absence of other factors like a Japanese spouse. It would be nice if immigration provided a bit more transparency, like a point system or something, so people could know beforehand what weight they give to what factor. With the new highly skilled professional visa they just introduced they do use such a point system so they could probably introduce one for PR too.

Good luck, Sirwanksalot, hope you get it. To be honest, I`m not sure if having a lawyer with you will help, since all you are doing is dropping off paperwork and the actual evaluation seems to be processed months later by someone other than the one who took the application (who wouldn`t know if you had a lawyer or not and thus wouldn`t be swayed by that).

sirwanksalot
Masturbateur
Masturbateur

Unread post by sirwanksalot » Sun Feb 07, 2016 12:33 am

Had a movie day with my Saturday kids classes and managed to get a 30 minute surprise nap in while the movie was playing. Either that or I was abducted by aliens and lost 30 minutes of time.

steki47

Unread post by steki47 » Tue Feb 23, 2016 3:13 pm

For fans of the old Wai Wai. Not so new, but I just found it. Nice and sleazy.

http://www.tokyoreporter.com/

MacGyver
Shockproof shit detector
Shockproof shit detector

Unread post by MacGyver » Tue Feb 23, 2016 3:34 pm

Haha awesome. Funny, cause the man himself (ex-wai wai guy) has recently quit FB. I know the whole saga cost him his family in addition to his job and he's not or at least wasn't on FB under his real name. Unfortunately he still has to be careful online cause he occasionally gets harassed to this day. Poor bastard. Lovely bloke too.

steki47

Unread post by steki47 » Tue Feb 23, 2016 10:18 pm

MacGyver wrote:Haha awesome.
I fucked off the whole afternoon reading that trash.

Loved it.

Shawn
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: At Mitch & Murray, holding on to the good leads and preparing sets of steak knives

Unread post by Shawn » Sat Feb 27, 2016 10:15 am

My daughter's kindergarten had an open house, so I decided to drop in and watch a few of her lessons. I managed to catch her English lesson. You could sense that my mere presence made the Japanese instructor uneasy. :mrgreen:

For a class of six-year olds, she gave a good lesson.

It's not like I was there to critique the lesson, so relax!

MacGyver
Shockproof shit detector
Shockproof shit detector

Unread post by MacGyver » Sat Feb 27, 2016 10:40 am

How's your kid with the eigo? And how did she go in front of other kids? A lot of halvie kids who speak E seem embarrassed to do so in class in front of other kids. Yours the same?

Shawn
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: At Mitch & Murray, holding on to the good leads and preparing sets of steak knives

Unread post by Shawn » Sat Feb 27, 2016 11:38 am

MacGyver wrote:How's your kid with the eigo? And how did she go in front of other kids? A lot of halvie kids who speak E seem embarrassed to do so in class in front of other kids. Yours the same?
My daughter's first language is clearly Japanese. My policy is to speak to my kids only in English. (At the moment, they don't fully realize that dad can speak Japanese, too.) Her English is probably better than most kids her age and I think she has a very large passive vocabulary in English. She goes around translating what I say to her little brother.

She's hasn't reached the embarrassment stage, yet. That's probably because she's not seen as the ringer by her classmates. That'll change once she gets into elementary school.

MacGyver
Shockproof shit detector
Shockproof shit detector

Unread post by MacGyver » Sun Feb 28, 2016 10:36 am

My wife's sister, who's married to an Aussie guy and lives in Sydney, refused (he's 12 so too late now) to speak in Japanese with her son so of course he speaks no Japanese at all, beyond say a few greetings. The greater shame of it is that he was born and lived here until he was 3 so his first language at that time was Japanese.

Shawn
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Shawn » Sun Feb 28, 2016 4:15 pm

Langslave wrote:I remember talking to someone who wasn't speaking "the eigo" to his kids and I thought "What a dick." His kids were visibly not fully Japanese, so to my mind I thought he was setting up his kids for some future crap from teachers..."But why can't you speak English? Your father is English!" etc, etc. To me it just makes sense to have your kids bilingual from day one, they can do it easily.
If you want to raise your kids to be 100% Japanese, go ahead, but surly you see the value and advantage of your child being able to speak a second language at virtually no cost (no eikaiwa!). Don't know why you wouldn't speak your own language to your child.

MacGyver
Shockproof shit detector
Shockproof shit detector

Unread post by MacGyver » Sun Feb 28, 2016 4:54 pm

Shawn wrote:Don't know why you wouldn't speak your own language to your child.
In my sister-in-law's case, it was she couldn't be arsed. And to be fair, I do see her point. BUT, to me, on so many different levels, that's very short-sighted. So yeah I still think she's a dopey bitch but at the end of the day, it is her kid and her decision. Unfortunately her ex-Nova teacher hubby is no help in that regard as his J was junk when he was here. It's now not far above nothing. Lovely bloke, awesome bro-in-law, and I'm sure he would have been a great teacher, but just learning Japanese as either not his thing or he was just no good at it. Or too lazy. But we all know someone who has lived here for 5, 6 years and never really gets good at the lingo.

Shawn
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Shawn » Mon Feb 29, 2016 9:01 am

MacGyver wrote:
Shawn wrote:Don't know why you wouldn't speak your own language to your child.
In my sister-in-law's case, it was she couldn't be arsed. And to be fair, I do see her point. BUT, to me, on so many different levels, that's very short-sighted.
My point exactly. I'm sure I read about it somewhere, but while most "halfs" get a lot of attention for their "exoticness," wouldn't they garner even more (unwanted) attention for not knowing a second language? They are expected to be bicultural, aren't they?

sirwanksalot
Masturbateur
Masturbateur

Unread post by sirwanksalot » Wed Mar 02, 2016 1:21 am

I went surfing in Chiba today. It was pretty good and I was surfing pretty good too. After I got out of the water and made it to the parking lot I was kind of daydreaming and admiring the bulge in my wettie especially after losing 18 kgs. No more gut. What brought me out of my self admiration was a younger mid 20s surfer chickie asking me how the waves were. Talked a bit got her line and found out she is a local semi pro competitor who is down to take me around and show me the spots.

AsahiSupaSpy
Eikaiwa Hero
Eikaiwa Hero

Unread post by AsahiSupaSpy » Wed Mar 02, 2016 11:11 am

sirwanksalot wrote:I went surfing in Chiba today. It was pretty good and I was surfing pretty good too. After I got out of the water and made it to the parking lot I was kind of daydreaming and admiring the bulge in my wettie especially after losing 18 kgs. No more gut. What brought me out of my self admiration was a younger mid 20s surfer chickie asking me how the waves were. Talked a bit got her line and found out she is a local semi pro competitor who is down to take me around and show me the spots.
18 kegs? Nice one!
Do NOT arrest this man.

sirwanksalot
Masturbateur
Masturbateur

Unread post by sirwanksalot » Wed Mar 02, 2016 1:49 pm

Yeah, I've done a massive lifestyle change.

AsahiSupaSpy
Eikaiwa Hero
Eikaiwa Hero

Unread post by AsahiSupaSpy » Wed Mar 02, 2016 11:33 pm

How long did it take to drop 18 kg? And did you have to give up brews and barbecues to do it?
Do NOT arrest this man.

Junken Master
Hopeless Drone
Hopeless Drone

Unread post by Junken Master » Wed Apr 20, 2016 9:43 pm

Exactly 1 month today to my first trip to Japan in 5 years, with a stop off on the way to see a mate in Nam for a few days.

Sun and cocktails in Nam plus catching up with all the family back in Japan who I haven't seen for a long time.

And most importantly can finish off a game I didn't manage to complete when I was there last time on my old XBOX 360 at my mother-in-law's house. (GTA4).

Gonna be awesome!!!

sirwanksalot
Masturbateur
Masturbateur

Unread post by sirwanksalot » Wed Apr 27, 2016 12:05 pm

Going on a guided surf trip to the area right next to the no-entry zone in Futaba Fukushima tomorrow. I'll be camping under the stars, moon and glowing green sky. RIP my ballz.

allblacks

Unread post by allblacks » Sun May 15, 2016 2:43 pm

Paying tax in 1000 yen notes. 251 of them. LOL. The last pic is of them counting it.

Attachments
1463127592939.jpg