lifes little greats

For topics not directly related to eikaiwa.
Forum rules
The basic forum rules are here :wink: . Refer to the BBCode Guide for information on using BBCode tags, plus this post about additional tags for embedding video.
sirwanksalot
Masturbateur
Masturbateur

Re: lifes little greats

Unread post by sirwanksalot » Wed Nov 11, 2015 5:16 pm

My university work ends in late January so no work until April. ...well that's what I thought when I told my friend who just happens to own a yakiniku and needs help. I now have a part time kitchen job. It should be fun since i know most of the kitchen help there. Also we are allowed to drink on duty. This will also be a great chance to get my Japanese to the next level and will go along great with my renewed diligence to improving myself.

BergKatse
Hopeless Drone
Hopeless Drone

Unread post by BergKatse » Thu Nov 12, 2015 10:37 am

↑ That is a "little great."
I did some work as a kitchen hand as a teenager... most enjoyable job I've ever had.

senseiman
9 miles of bad road
9 miles of bad road

Unread post by senseiman » Thu Nov 12, 2015 12:20 pm

Working in a yakiniku place does sound pretty cool. A friend of mine where I used to live had a bar. I never worked there, but he used to let me stand behind the counter every once in a while. Very very fun job if you don`t own the place and have to worry about all the stuff there is for a small business owner to worry about.
祇園精舎の鐘の聲、諸行無常の響あり。娑羅雙樹の花の色、盛者必衰のことわりをあらはす。おごれる人も久しからず、唯春の夜の夢のごとし。たけき者も遂にほろびぬ、偏に風の前の塵に同じ。

AsahiSupaSpy
Eikaiwa Hero
Eikaiwa Hero

Unread post by AsahiSupaSpy » Fri Nov 13, 2015 4:31 pm

sirwanksalot wrote: I now have a part time kitchen job.
That's awesome!! I fucken love kitchen work. The heat, the energy. The big sharp knives.
I helped a friend run his kitchen in his little countryside restaurant over Golden Week one year. Dinner service would finish at 9, then we'd just get high and drink beers all night.
Do NOT arrest this man.

sirwanksalot
Masturbateur
Masturbateur

Unread post by sirwanksalot » Fri Nov 13, 2015 8:23 pm

AsahiSupaSpy wrote: then we'd just get high and drink beers all night.

The friend is from surfing. Sometimes we camp out on the beach and do just that. I expect more of the same.

sirwanksalot
Masturbateur
Masturbateur

Unread post by sirwanksalot » Fri Nov 13, 2015 8:25 pm

senseiman wrote: Very very fun job if you don`t own the place and have to worry about all the stuff there is for a small business owner to worry about.
He's gong to have to worry about the amount of beer in the keg while I'm around.

sirwanksalot
Masturbateur
Masturbateur

Unread post by sirwanksalot » Fri Nov 13, 2015 8:26 pm

BergKatse wrote:↑ That is a "little great."
I did some work as a kitchen hand as a teenager... most enjoyable job I've ever had.
I've been fired from three kitchen jobs back in the day. I too had a bit of fun at work.

AsahiSupaSpy
Eikaiwa Hero
Eikaiwa Hero

Unread post by AsahiSupaSpy » Fri Nov 13, 2015 11:40 pm

sirwanksalot wrote:The friend is from surfing. Sometimes we camp out on the beach and do just that. I expect more of the same.
Mate, that sounds fucking fantastic. Nothing beats a post work spliff on the beach.
Back in NZ we'd drive 40 minutes to the nearest coast after the late shift and punch buckets straight into the ocean.
Do NOT arrest this man.

sirwanksalot
Masturbateur
Masturbateur

Unread post by sirwanksalot » Sun Nov 15, 2015 11:53 pm

Lamarr wrote:
AsahiSupaSpy wrote:Mate, that sounds fucking fantastic. Nothing beats a post work spliff on the beach.
Back in NZ we'd drive 40 minutes to the nearest coast after the late shift and punch buckets straight into the ocean.
Stoned driving. Good one. Hope you just maimed yourself and didn't kill anyone in a crash on the way home. :wink:
The Pots Kill!

sirwanksalot
Masturbateur
Masturbateur

Unread post by sirwanksalot » Sat Nov 21, 2015 10:33 am

Got quite hammered with my friend in town last night which helped me to get 10 hours of good sleep.

steki47

Unread post by steki47 » Mon Nov 30, 2015 2:14 pm

Had an interesting but not really great experience yesterday. Went to my first funeral in Japan. My wife explained the bowing and incense part to me but didn't mention the second half. Driving to the crematorium and then picking through the bones was certainly a first for me. I knew about the taboo of passing things between chopsticks and now I have experience with that, too. My wife and I put pieces of bone into the jar together. I remember hoping that no one would say "hashi joozu" to me at that particular point.

scanman
Enthusiastic Newbie
Enthusiastic Newbie

Unread post by scanman » Tue Dec 01, 2015 11:21 am

I went to a Japanese wedding recently which took place in a hotel. The actual wedding ceremony took place in a wedding ceremony room. There was a mini altar and a large cross on the wall behind. There were also two small rows of pews, like in a real church. The bride and groom were not christian, but they were having a western-style christian wedding. A foreigner dressed as a priest conducted the ceremony. I didn't get a chance to talk to him. We were also given some confetti when we entered the room, which we threw in the air over the couple as they walked down the aisle after the ceremony and the signing of the registry book. I think it was a registry book. Anyway, it was a copycat western wedding ceremony. Can't imagine Britons, Americans, Australians etc. having a copycat Japanese wedding ceremony in their home country. There you go. When in Rome do as the Japanese do.

MacGyver
Shockproof shit detector
Shockproof shit detector

Unread post by MacGyver » Tue Dec 01, 2015 11:28 am

When I go to J weddings that do the chapel and fake priest thing, I have a hard time keeping my composure, especially when the fake priest starts talking. I'm not religious, in fact I'm an atheist, so I couldn't give a toss that J peeps do this fake christian wedding stuff, but I just find it hilarious. And it's good money for the fake priests so good luck to them.
"Yous guys talk a lotta shit. I'm much more smarter than all a yous." - Samurai Jerk after being owned by the Let's Japan crew.

sirwanksalot
Masturbateur
Masturbateur

Unread post by sirwanksalot » Tue Dec 01, 2015 11:52 pm

Most of the foreign guys I know that live in this town do the wedding thing. Decent money and I could have been hooked up with it but I'm too chicken to go out and ruin someone's big day.

T.D.
Eikaiwa Hero
Eikaiwa Hero

Unread post by T.D. » Wed Dec 02, 2015 12:35 am

I did it my last year or 2 in Japan. It was very good money. Typically Y10,000 per hour plus transportation if I recall. At first I admit it was pretty odd, but I quickly started taking it seriously. It's the couples big day so I always really tried to do my best. I didn't mind staring at the bridesmaids though. You definitely get over any public speaking fears quite fast.

scanman
Enthusiastic Newbie
Enthusiastic Newbie

Unread post by scanman » Wed Dec 02, 2015 8:44 am

I wonder if any of the fake priests are actual Christians who, when they return to their home countries, visit the confessional booth and confess their sin(s). 'Bless me father for I have sinned. I pretended to be a priest and carry out wedding ceremonies whilst I lived in Japan.'

MacGyver
Shockproof shit detector
Shockproof shit detector

Unread post by MacGyver » Wed Dec 02, 2015 9:44 am

I'm sure there are those on this board that do it and have their own stories but I've got mates who do it as well and in some ways it sounds like eikaiwa. That is, you only get paid for the weddings that you do, and while per wedding is good money, especially for 15 to 30 minutes of work, once you factor in transportation time, time to get ready, and other non-paying tasks, the money quickly isn't that good anymore. Plus some days/weekends you may do a lot of weddings back to back and make shitloads, and other times you may only do two weddings, one in the morning and one in the evening, with the latter being across town so you can't go home and end up spending half your day in Maccas or Starbucks killing time (I actually interviewed for a business eikaiwa gig like that years ago. You had to teach business classes in the morning and then in the evening but due to the far flung locations, there was no chance to go home so you'd spend half your day killing time somewhere, which is why I ended up turning it down). Which is why I've never seriously considered it cause knowing my luck/shitty planning, I'd prolly only end up making 20 or 30K per weekend and lose my weekend entirely.
"Yous guys talk a lotta shit. I'm much more smarter than all a yous." - Samurai Jerk after being owned by the Let's Japan crew.

sirwanksalot
Masturbateur
Masturbateur

Unread post by sirwanksalot » Wed Dec 02, 2015 10:43 am

What Mac said.

steki47

Unread post by steki47 » Wed Dec 02, 2015 4:23 pm

sirwanksalot wrote:What Mac said.
Same here. I interviewed for that job and the gigs were 1-2 hours away from me. Plus my wife didn't want me to give up my weekends. I didn't either.

I am not religious, but it still struck me as disrespectful to pose as clergy.

AsahiSupaSpy
Eikaiwa Hero
Eikaiwa Hero

Unread post by AsahiSupaSpy » Wed Dec 02, 2015 4:31 pm

steki47 wrote:I am not religious, but it still struck me as disrespectful to pose as clergy.
I was offered the gig (by some broad as I was waiting for a friend outside a convenience store) and I considered it but out of respect for my mother, who is somewhat of a godbotherer, I turned it down.

Fair play to those that do it though. It sounds like it could be a decent little earner under the right conditions.
Do NOT arrest this man.

steki47

Unread post by steki47 » Wed Dec 02, 2015 5:03 pm

AsahiSupaSpy wrote:
steki47 wrote:I am not religious, but it still struck me as disrespectful to pose as clergy.
I was offered the gig (by some broad as I was waiting for a friend outside a convenience store) and I considered it but out of respect for my mother, who is somewhat of a godbotherer, I turned it down.

Fair play to those that do it though. It sounds like it could be a decent little earner under the right conditions.
Good boy!

sirwanksalot
Masturbateur
Masturbateur

Unread post by sirwanksalot » Wed Dec 02, 2015 10:06 pm

I'm making a surfboard for a Japanese woman and she has requested a color pattern with really light blue and really light pink. I made a couple of test panels and sent her some pics in order to get it right. Well come today when i applied the color to the board I kind of messed it up in comparison to the test panel she approved. I sent off pics of the F up and she replied that was the exact color she had in mind. I feel like I've earned my beer tonight.

AsahiSupaSpy
Eikaiwa Hero
Eikaiwa Hero

Unread post by AsahiSupaSpy » Thu Dec 03, 2015 12:40 pm

Lamarr wrote:I doubt many of the people who want this type of wedding are doing it for religious reasons,
Precisely, because if they were they would go to an actual church with an actual priest.
Do NOT arrest this man.

steki47

Unread post by steki47 » Thu Dec 03, 2015 1:26 pm

Lamarr wrote:The whole thing's fake anyway. So what if the priest's fake as well?
Well, that's my point. I find the whole package to be a bit disrespectful. Same with love hotels that use the Statue of Liberty or the Eiffel Tower. Amsuing but also a bit rude to me.

RalphWiggum
LJ Oracle
LJ Oracle

Unread post by RalphWiggum » Thu Dec 03, 2015 5:38 pm

steki47 wrote: Well, that's my point. I find the whole package to be a bit disrespectful. Same with love hotels that use the Statue of Liberty or the Eiffel Tower. Amsuing but also a bit rude to me.
How on earth is that rude?!?
Shit wank bollocks

steki47

Unread post by steki47 » Thu Dec 03, 2015 9:40 pm

Lamarr wrote:
steki47 wrote:I find the whole package to be a bit disrespectful. Same with love hotels that use the Statue of Liberty or the Eiffel Tower. Amsuing but also a bit rude to me.
I can see what you mean. It's another case of the Japanese stereotyping foreign culture.

I don't think I'd do a job like that, unless I needed the work and the money. It'd have me grinding my teeth, having to go through some sort of fake religious ceremony and pretend to take it seriously, with all these natives thinking they're having some kind of "exotic" experience, gawping at the fake native priest.

JESUS, talk about awkward and embarrassing situations!
Overthinking a bit tonight.

Eikaiwa can be a forced, fake experience at times. Although some of the teachers/students are sincere in their efforts. That's the word I want: sincerity. I am not a religious person, but I respect the sincere beliefs of others (generally).

As for priesting, some of my friends do it and they like the cash and the experience. I chose not to.

steki47

Unread post by steki47 » Thu Dec 03, 2015 9:42 pm

RalphWiggum wrote:
steki47 wrote: Well, that's my point. I find the whole package to be a bit disrespectful. Same with love hotels that use the Statue of Liberty or the Eiffel Tower. Amsuing but also a bit rude to me.
How on earth is that rude?!?
Associating foreign cultures with sex. The Statue of Liberty represented friendship between two nations, not people getting it on. French monuments might be a different story. Perhaps I am being too sensitive/conservative here.

sirwanksalot
Masturbateur
Masturbateur

Unread post by sirwanksalot » Thu Dec 03, 2015 10:28 pm

As an American I actually have a little bit of pride behind my giggles when I see a Statue of Liberty reigning in front of a pachinko parlor. I'm unaware of the love hotel connection but if my foreign culture is being associated with sex then I'd hope that would give me a little advantage.

RalphWiggum
LJ Oracle
LJ Oracle

Unread post by RalphWiggum » Fri Dec 04, 2015 2:21 am

That's just it, I don't think anyone is associating national monuments with sex. They're just familiar (and maybe romantic in the case f the Eiffel Tower) monuments to use as a selling point. Even if they ARE associating them with sex you've got to be pretty touchy to get upset about it. If people want to bone each other under a reproduction of Big Ben, have at it! I find it hilarious rather than offensive.
Shit wank bollocks

inflames
9 miles of bad road
9 miles of bad road

Unread post by inflames » Sun Jan 10, 2016 7:03 pm

Haven't been on here in a while.

About the priests - if you are in a big city the pay is lower, but you won't travel as much and you can get multiple weddings in a day.