lifes little greats

For topics not directly related to eikaiwa.
Forum rules
The basic forum rules are here :wink: . Refer to the BBCode Guide for information on using BBCode tags, plus this post about additional tags for embedding video.
senseiman
9 miles of bad road
9 miles of bad road

Re: lifes little greats

Unread post by senseiman » Tue Aug 22, 2017 12:16 pm

MacGyver wrote:
Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:11 am

The house is in Fujinomiya but as it is being renovated we're still at my wife's house in Fuji. Both places are basically on the border about 2.5 kms apart, so like 5 mins drive or 25 mins walk. House and land was 15 mn: land is 450 m2 and house is 150 m2. House is 25 years old. Renovations will cost 8 mn. Basically a full reno (inside and out) except for kitchen and floors, and also includes 4 air-cons (as in the cost includes the price of replacing 4 (old) air-cons and installing the new ones). There's a pre-fab office next to the house, and of the 8 mn, that'll be just over 1 mn. I'm getting a toilet and kitchenette put in plus they gonna put sliding on the outside as it's run down. Oh, and the house is pink. Yes, we're getting it re-painted. :wink: Gonna do a lightish gray as the house is kind of a weatherboard style and with the window frames, door, and large balcony (it's about the size of a 6 tatami mat room) being white and the roof charcoal black, it should be a nice contrast. With fees, I guess its just under 25 mn all in.

Seems like renos are taking forever. We made an offer on the house in April and settled in May, and renos started in June. So far, they've extended my office to put in the toilet (but yet to install toilet or kitchenette), pulled out a window in the house and replaced it with a sliding door (it's near the kitchen and next to a concreted space outside which I'm going to turn into my BBQ area, hence the sliding door to give us easy access to the kitchen), pulled out the toilets and bathroom, replaced one toilet (there are two in the house) and they've just about finished wallpapering the entire house. Still to go: put in the bathroom and other toilet, put in lights (all lights being replaced with LEDs), replace the tatami mats in the washitsu, polish the floor boards, paint the house, touch-up the roof, and put sliding on the office walls. The reno guy (company) gave us a rough completion date of October but I'd say that'd be the end of Oct at earliest. Sounds like the issue is getting workers in to do the work. Although three weeks to wallpaper a house?!?!?! Hmmmmm.

There is a bunch of things I want/have to do but was gonna wait until we moved in but I've lost patience so I'm just gonna start doing it. Namely, tiding up the garden (weeding and so forth), sealing the balcony (it leaks badly when it rains and is over the BBQ area), and moving some of the balcony drainage pipes (the pipes in question drain onto the concrete BBQ area so I'm gonna move them so they drain into the surrounding, non-concreted area). Other than the garden, the rest of the land has gravel (for cars to drive onto and park) but I'm thinking about ripping up some of the gravel near the BBQ area and turning it into grass. But can't do that until we move. Unfortunately, that also means I'll have to wait until next year as I'll have missed the growing window. But that's not a bad thing as it'll give me time to live in it and decide if that's really what I wanna do. Ah yes, the fun and games, and joys, of owning a house!
That sounds pretty awesome. My mortgage was almost exactly the same (23.8 million, 1.09% interest rate fixed for 30 years). But our place is way smaller than yours (155 sq metres land, 103 sq metre house), I wish we had been able to get a big one like that with a bigger yard, but I had to get a place that was convenient in terms of commuting so our options were limited (also we don't drive so needed to be near a major train station). Our place was 10 years old when we bought it and the seller had just carried out all the renovations (new kitchen and bathroom, wallpaper, painted exterior, air conditioners, fumigated for termites, etc etc) which was included in the price, so we haven't had to do any work on it (though I would have traded that for a bigger yard if one was available).

On the plus side our yard is big enough for us to plant some trees and grass, and I just bought a picnic table for it. Next year my big project will be to tear up one of the concrete parking spots that we don't need to expand the yard. After that maybe solar panels for the roof!
祇園精舎の鐘の聲、諸行無常の響あり。娑羅雙樹の花の色、盛者必衰のことわりをあらはす。おごれる人も久しからず、唯春の夜の夢のごとし。たけき者も遂にほろびぬ、偏に風の前の塵に同じ。

MacGyver
Shockproof shit detector
Shockproof shit detector

Unread post by MacGyver » Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:17 pm

MacGyver wrote:
Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:11 am
my wife's house
That should read "wife's parents house"....
senseiman wrote:
Tue Aug 22, 2017 12:16 pm
I had to get a place that was convenient in terms of commuting so our options were limited (also we don't drive so needed to be near a major train station).
Yeah we're lucky cause we both work from home and don't need to be near a train station. We're about the same distance (about 15 kms) from the center of both Fuji and Fujinomiya cities, and there's nothing really in walking distance (except a 7/11 around the corner and a soba shop) so if we go out for a drink, it means a daiko, but we don't go out that much. But working from home it has to be quiet, and it is, which is great cause the in-laws place is noisy as shit (45 yr-old thin-as-paper wooden house on a busy road). And we got lucky price-wise. We were looking at fairly big places cause of the working from home thing (either to put an office in or use one of the bedrooms as an office) and I wanted a yard, but on average, the places we looked at were about 27 million. And that's before renos. Although one place was massive (400 m2 for the house and 2,000 m2 for the land) at, initially, 59 million but came down to 38 after a year or two on the market. But the wife didn't like the area; residential but too high (lots of fog and so forth apparently) and too far from anything. And the land we looked at were roughly 500 m2 blocks on average at 15 million or so and obviously we then gotta put a house on top, which would've been at least another 30 plus million for what we wanted (prolly would've gone with concrete if we built even though the place we bought is wood). Apparently the last owners defaulted on the loan and was in the hands of lawyers. They paid 30 million for it (we have all the paperwork for it since it was built). Not sure why they defaulted but it is the countryside after all. No big paying jobs for the most part around here I wouldn't have thought. The funny thing is the house behind us is owned by the previous owner's sister and their parents' place is across the road, which is where their brother lives with his family. Not living there yet we haven't met them yet but will be interesting when we do. Would love to have them round for a BBQ and get the dirt! lol
senseiman wrote:
Tue Aug 22, 2017 12:16 pm
After that maybe solar panels for the roof!
I'd love to put solar panels on our carport roof but the wife is like "it's a waste of money." Maybe I'll give it a few years and then do the research to see if it is worth it or not.
"Yous guys talk a lotta shit. I'm much more smarter than all a yous." - Samurai Jerk after being owned by the Let's Japan crew.

lordCONAN
Eikaiwa Hero
Eikaiwa Hero

Unread post by lordCONAN » Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:52 pm

MacGyver wrote:
Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:17 pm
I'd love to put solar panels on our carport roof but the wife is like "it's a waste of money." Maybe I'll give it a few years and then do the research to see if it is worth it or not.
That's exactly what you shouldn't do. 5 years or so ago, solar panels were probably the best investment you could make in Japan, especially if you could get an array over 10kw. You could get a 20 year contract where they would pay you a fair amount for the energy you were producing. Under previous pricing you could pay off the solar panel in 7-10 years, then the next 10 years or so were pure profit. After that you could just use the power yourself.

Unfortunately the payments these days aren't so great, well definitely not as good as they used to be. But if you're thinking about doing solar, you should do it sooner rather than later.

If you get an array under 10kw, you can get a 10 year contract, selling any power you don't use. If you can get an array over 10kw, you can get a 20 year contract, and choose whether you sell all your energy, or if you sell only what you don't use. The prices for arrays over 10kw are lower than less than 10kw, but you get a 20 year contract. A few years ago, you would without a doubt sell all your energy if you had a 10kw+ array, nowadays, it's not so cut and dried.

If you wait, the prices you get for your power are only going to get lower.

MacGyver
Shockproof shit detector
Shockproof shit detector

Unread post by MacGyver » Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:54 am

lordCONAN wrote:
Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:52 pm
If you wait, the prices you get for your power are only going to get lower.
But so is the equipment. Actually I remember someone a whiles back talking about how the prices paid by the power companies had dropped compared to what they used to be but it didn't matter anymore (or wouldn't matter soon, not sure which one) as the price of the equipment (that is, initial investment) was so much lower than it used to be that it offset the low prices paid by the power company. All anecdotal I'm afraid though cause I haven't done the research myself...
"Yous guys talk a lotta shit. I'm much more smarter than all a yous." - Samurai Jerk after being owned by the Let's Japan crew.

Edogaijin
Eikaiwa Hero
Eikaiwa Hero

Unread post by Edogaijin » Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:47 pm

I had a salesman try and sell me solar for my carport roof. It's a big roof...( largest double car carport we could find)
The company would arrange a 10 year loan and he worked out the monthly income from the power would pay it off in 10 years.
I decided not to get it.
Plus I didn't trust the extra weight on the roof. It's scary enough when it snows.

My home solar is locked in at a higher rate as we got in over 10 years ago. The downside is, my system doesn't produce as much power as a newer system.

Overall I'm not too impressed with the benefits of the system I got... plus two panels have almost burst into flames. Had to get them replaced twice and they shut down half the grid on the roof. Was never sure how long it was out for. Have to get up on the roof every year to make sure they are all ok. Also paid an extra 30,000 yen to extend the warranty from 10 to 15 years.

Not sure I can afford any repairs after warranty goes...

senseiman
9 miles of bad road
9 miles of bad road

Unread post by senseiman » Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:08 pm

MacGyver wrote:
Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:17 pm

Yeah we're lucky cause we both work from home and don't need to be near a train station. We're about the same distance (about 15 kms) from the center of both Fuji and Fujinomiya cities, and there's nothing really in walking distance (except a 7/11 around the corner and a soba shop) so if we go out for a drink, it means a daiko, but we don't go out that much. But working from home it has to be quiet, and it is, which is great cause the in-laws place is noisy as shit (45 yr-old thin-as-paper wooden house on a busy road). And we got lucky price-wise. We were looking at fairly big places cause of the working from home thing (either to put an office in or use one of the bedrooms as an office) and I wanted a yard, but on average, the places we looked at were about 27 million. And that's before renos. Although one place was massive (400 m2 for the house and 2,000 m2 for the land) at, initially, 59 million but came down to 38 after a year or two on the market. But the wife didn't like the area; residential but too high (lots of fog and so forth apparently) and too far from anything. And the land we looked at were roughly 500 m2 blocks on average at 15 million or so and obviously we then gotta put a house on top, which would've been at least another 30 plus million for what we wanted (prolly would've gone with concrete if we built even though the place we bought is wood). Apparently the last owners defaulted on the loan and was in the hands of lawyers. They paid 30 million for it (we have all the paperwork for it since it was built). Not sure why they defaulted but it is the countryside after all. No big paying jobs for the most part around here I wouldn't have thought. The funny thing is the house behind us is owned by the previous owner's sister and their parents' place is across the road, which is where their brother lives with his family. Not living there yet we haven't met them yet but will be interesting when we do. Would love to have them round for a BBQ and get the dirt! lol
The previous owners of our house defaulted on their loan too. The seller we bought it from is a company whose business model is buying up used houses (mostly from bankruptcy sales), then renovating and flipping them. The original owner paid way more than we did when he bought it new in 2006, its crazy how much houses depreciate in value here.

That is interesting that the relatives of the former owners will live all around you, I can imagine that might feel awkward at first. Our previous owner had 3 kids who were roughly the same age as the kids in the houses on both sides of us and they were quite good friends so I was a bit worried at first that there might be some awkward feelings (seems it was quite a sad story as the father lost his job and they lost their home and had to go live with grandparents), but we've gotten along well with them.

My decision was also a bit of a compromise with the wife like yours. There was an older house (early 90s) that was further from the station and hadn't been renovated, but was bigger and was on a nicer lot that had a much bigger yard available (almost 300sqm versus 155 sqm at our place) for roughly the same price as ours. I was leaning towards that one, but my wife really liked the new interior on the one we bought and being closer to the station so we ended up going with that. I sometimes pass by the other one and every time I do have this pang of regret "AH, that beautiful yard could have been mine." Not sure we could have afforded the renos on it though.

I'm in Nagoya and the housing available here for under 30 million Yen is pretty depressing for the most part, especially within walking distance of stations. I would imagine in a smaller city like Fujinomiya the options must have been better, 15 million will get you about 100sq metres in Nagoya rather than 500!
祇園精舎の鐘の聲、諸行無常の響あり。娑羅雙樹の花の色、盛者必衰のことわりをあらはす。おごれる人も久しからず、唯春の夜の夢のごとし。たけき者も遂にほろびぬ、偏に風の前の塵に同じ。

sirwanksalot
Masturbateur
Masturbateur

Unread post by sirwanksalot » Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:41 pm

I gave a surfing lesson yesterday to a younger woman in a bikini and her sports bra like top shifted over just enough that both of her breasts were completely exposed.

Not once but three times.

She messaged me and said it was really fun and she wants to learn to surf with me again. I wont say no to that.

BartenBotflyVB
Frustrated Realist
Frustrated Realist
Location: (i'm not barten, or Valve Bouncer, I'm just that botfly c**t)

Unread post by BartenBotflyVB » Wed Sep 06, 2017 4:26 pm

One for the spank bank there Wanksman

The Imagination is the Fourth Estate of Wanking.

BartenBotflyVB
Frustrated Realist
Frustrated Realist
Location: (i'm not barten, or Valve Bouncer, I'm just that botfly c**t)

Unread post by BartenBotflyVB » Wed Sep 06, 2017 4:51 pm

ps wft 0% on a housing loan? Into it about 12 years now and its fucekn 30%! I may as well just take my paltry salary straight to Mr Sumitomo's house and hand the fucker over to the cunt! I think ours was around 0% when we started then the arse fucking started. Read the fine print I guess I should say. I obviously didnt. Or maybe it's so high cos we had such a measly downpayment. WFt do I know I'm no money cunt. Either way, living beyond our means etc etc, come on Kim Pyong just send the monster dong over and end this shit