lifes little greats

For topics not directly related to eikaiwa.
Forum rules
The basic forum rules are here :wink: . Refer to the BBCode Guide for information on using BBCode tags, plus this post about additional tags for embedding video.
indoctrin8

lifes little greats

Unread post by indoctrin8 » Sat Jun 21, 2008 11:48 am

sometimes, the natives will restore
yer faith in japanity. things like walking
you cross the road with an umbrella.

i had a great wee chat with a post
office guy yesterday. turns out he is
a sex pistols fan. at no point did he
ask where i do from.

brilliant. its nice to remember
that theres normal people out there.

any more heartwarming normal
japanese people tales?

Raelene
Eikaiwa Lifer
Eikaiwa Lifer

Re: lifes little greats

Unread post by Raelene » Sat Jun 21, 2008 8:18 pm

I have so many, I wouldn't know where to start. But the most recent one is a taxi driver who got slightly lost when he was taking me to the clinic. So he stopped the car, stopped the metre, and got out and asked a local for directions, leaving his change-box out in full view! I couldn't believe he could be so naive. We got to the clinic in record time. After my doctor's visit, I came out of the clinic feeling tired and strained, only to find the same taxi waiting out front for me, ready to take me home. It was so nice to see a familiar face right then, let me tell you. :)

Great topic! :)
[i]"Bored and decided to try her hand at a bit of trolling. Not the worst I have seen either by any means."[/i]

InTheColdLightOfDay
9 miles of bad road
9 miles of bad road

Unread post by InTheColdLightOfDay » Sun Jun 22, 2008 1:05 am

I don't think him waiting for you outside is anything to do with being nice. He just realised that if you needed a taxi to get there, you were going to need one to get back. If he hangs around, it's double fare for him. If he leaves, someone else gets your cash.
Each monkeys has different face. It's very difficult to distinguish monkey's face, like we can't memorize foreigner's face.

Raelene
Eikaiwa Lifer
Eikaiwa Lifer

Unread post by Raelene » Sun Jun 22, 2008 9:47 am

Naw, I think he was sweet on me! :mrgreen:
[i]"Bored and decided to try her hand at a bit of trolling. Not the worst I have seen either by any means."[/i]

Touchstone
Hopeless Drone
Hopeless Drone

Unread post by Touchstone » Sun Jun 22, 2008 11:09 pm

Langslave wrote:I've recently found people on the bus are more courteous than the crowds on the train. There's a couple of blind people get on my home-bound bus nearly everyday and almost every time someone helps them get on, or put their pass in the machine, gives them their seat or helps them to a vacant one. Can't recall seeing too much of that on the train, more like the opposite. Does restore a bit of faith.
Hey, Langslave! Who's the sexy young guy in your avatar? He looks like a guy from my hometown: James Maybrick, one of the chief suspects in the Jack the Ripper case.
"There is in every village a torch - the teacher; and an extinguisher - the clergyman"

Victor Hugo

Touchstone
Hopeless Drone
Hopeless Drone

Unread post by Touchstone » Sun Jun 22, 2008 11:34 pm

Yeah, from up North. If you mean in England. I thought you were an Aussie actually. My nan lived in the road next to Mr. Maybrick. How many people can say that their nan lived in the road next to where the chief suspect in the Ripper case lived? Cool, eh?
"There is in every village a torch - the teacher; and an extinguisher - the clergyman"

Victor Hugo

allblacks

Unread post by allblacks » Mon Jun 23, 2008 12:19 pm

My local bottleshop. Two very nice people that have never done anything but be nice to me and my kids. A couple of times I was 10 yen short or something: "pay us back next time." I made a point of remembering and did just that. Gotta love them.

wilde_oscar
9 miles of bad road
9 miles of bad road

Unread post by wilde_oscar » Mon Jun 23, 2008 12:31 pm

allblacks wrote:My local bottleshop. Two very nice people that have never done anything but be nice to me and my kids. A couple of times I was 10 yen short or something: "pay us back next time." I made a point of remembering and did just that. Gotta love them.
Is it fair to say that you have put their kids through university? :D
Never try to teach a pig to sing - it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

allblacks

Unread post by allblacks » Mon Jun 23, 2008 12:45 pm

wilde_oscar wrote:
allblacks wrote:My local bottleshop. Two very nice people that have never done anything but be nice to me and my kids. A couple of times I was 10 yen short or something: "pay us back next time." I made a point of remembering and did just that. Gotta love them.
Is it fair to say that you have put their kids through university? :D
Well.........to some extent yes!

senshisteph
Frustrated Realist
Frustrated Realist

Unread post by senshisteph » Tue Jun 24, 2008 9:30 pm

The lady who runs my favourite local yarn shop - she's always really friendly but not in the least pushy. I have 2 other yarn shops in the area that I've only visited once. One is scary - the woman that runs it just fired constant questions at me and wouldn't just let me browse. The other is one of those places where the owners friends come in to sit and knit - I got glared at by the friends and ignored by the owner. The owner of Ishii shoten, on the other hand, is super nice, interested without being nosy, and even knows my yarn preferences enough to give me free samples of stuff she thinks I might like.

The guy who delivers parcels from Amazon - he knows I won't be home before 7 and always calls me beforehand to see when I'll be in, saving me the hassle of rearranging deliveries. Also friendly and pleasant.

Last but definitely not least, my line manager at work. As an example, today I started feeling ill on the train - made it as far as work but had to go and tell her I might have to go home later. Ten minutes later she had her car out to give me a lift to the station so I wouldn't have to get the bus, and kept telling me that I shouldn't hesitate to take tomorrow off too if I still felt bad. Such a change from those bosses who guilt-trip you for not coming in unless you are actually dead.

indoctrin8

Unread post by indoctrin8 » Tue Aug 05, 2008 2:26 pm

hello everyone.

just bumped this to

A) i started the thread

B) we are all miserable
sweaty bastards

C) watched a butterfly
glide today. nobody
told me butterflies
could glide. BRILLIANT.

good things happen to
cheer you up.

can we have some more?

allblacks

Unread post by allblacks » Tue Aug 05, 2008 2:41 pm

I had a kinda weird yet nice moment this morning at the station. Was on way to work like hordes of others. The politicians were out in force greeting everyone. Walked by one of em and I got this: "Good morning, where are you going?"

My first thought was GRRR but then I mellowed out and thought that it was nice she bothered to ask me cos I DONT KNOW WHERE IM GOING HALF THE TIME! :o

sampler
Eikaiwa Hero
Eikaiwa Hero

Unread post by sampler » Tue Aug 05, 2008 3:19 pm

A bloke came around bringing cakes to apologize for lying about why he wanted to quit my English class last month. I thought it was good that this guy swallowed his pride and came 'round to say sorry.

AmishChief
Hopeless Drone
Hopeless Drone

Unread post by AmishChief » Tue Aug 05, 2008 5:10 pm

allblacks wrote:I had a kinda weird yet nice moment this morning at the station. Was on way to work like hordes of others. The politicians were out in force greeting everyone. Walked by one of em and I got this: "Good morning, where are you going?"

My first thought was GRRR but then I mellowed out and thought that it was nice she bothered to ask me cos I DONT KNOW WHERE IM GOING HALF THE TIME! :o
Really? My experience with walking by politicians here is that they ignore foreigners, on the (usually correct) assumption that they don't vote. I'll keep my vote in my home country, thanks.

My good points this week - 2nd year anniversary with my girlfriend today and my birthday tomorrow. I could do without the Hiroshima mourn-fest, but all things considered, this has been a decent summer. Now to fine some solid way to drill grammar points for 2-kyuu on the JLPT...

kunikun
Yummy Mummy
Yummy Mummy

Unread post by kunikun » Tue Aug 05, 2008 5:46 pm

Little 80 or so year old woman gave us an extra ice-cream for little Kuni and and us free ice-cream on top of our kaki-goori.

exUsagiCoalMiner
Cassandra
Cassandra
Location: In the concrete jungle known as "the Kitchen of Japan"....

Unread post by exUsagiCoalMiner » Tue Aug 05, 2008 6:57 pm

AmishChief wrote:My good points this week - 2nd year anniversary with my girlfriend today and my birthday tomorrow. I could do without the Hiroshima mourn-fest, but all things considered, this has been a decent summer. Now to fine some solid way to drill grammar points for 2-kyuu on the JLPT...
Congrats on the 2 year mark, and Happy Birthday! Hope both are good days!
"But it's got sharp, pointy teeth!"

senshisteph
Frustrated Realist
Frustrated Realist

Unread post by senshisteph » Tue Aug 05, 2008 11:09 pm

Those little moments when your students surprise you by figuring something out. I've had 2 instances this week of kids figuring out that words and phrases can be used outside of stereotyped exchanges - yesterday we played bingo in my 5-yo class, the kids are used to hearing me say 'not here' when I do the register and someone is absent. 2 of the kids started shouting 'not here' when they didn't have an item on their bingo card.
Then today I was readng 'Quiet, Loud' by Leslie Patricelli (I heartily recommend her books for anyone who has or teaches little kids - the vocab is simple and the illustrations are absolutely brilliant, and they are great for starting follow-up talk - in fact they are a life's little great on their own) in a 4-yo class. We often say 'very good' or 'very nice', so it was brilliant when little Koutarou piped up that fish are not just quiet but 'very quiet'.

Little things, but it made me smile, anyway :D

uperjer
Enthusiastic Newbie
Enthusiastic Newbie

Unread post by uperjer » Wed Aug 06, 2008 12:47 am

fireworks!

Wage Slave
Shockproof shit detector
Shockproof shit detector

Unread post by Wage Slave » Wed Aug 06, 2008 9:54 pm

I am working in a school up in the mountains. I am far from a twitcher but anyone would have to say that the bird life around the school is amazing. Anyway, there has been a brown falcon around for the last few months. Today there were two plus two little ones learning to hunt for food. There are literally dozens of young swallows out of their nests in the eaves of the school as well. Just cheers me up to see them and they are strikingly unafraid of people.
Don't hesitate to spoil the ship for a ha'porth of tar. You'll get credit for saving the ha'penny and someone else will get the blame for losing the ship.

Are they the lemmings?
Eikaiwa Hero
Eikaiwa Hero

Unread post by Are they the lemmings? » Wed Aug 06, 2008 10:37 pm

Wage Slave wrote:I am working in a school up in the mountains. I am far from a twitcher but anyone would have to say that the bird life around the school is amazing. Anyway, there has been a brown falcon around for the last few months. Today there were two plus two little ones learning to hunt for food. There are literally dozens of young swallows out of their nests in the eaves of the school as well. Just cheers me up to see them and they are strikingly unafraid of people.
Got to agree with Wage Slave here. Since I've moved to the outskirts of the suburbs, I've taken great pleasure in watching the breathtaking acrobatics of the swallows and staring in awe as the kites float on the thermals looking for something to eat. It's incredible for me, because I've never really had the opportunity to see a raptor up close except in a zoo/aviary situation.

Frogs, too, have been a nice surprise. I dug a couple of ditches to lay foundations for a block wall a while back and it rained that night and filled the ditches with water. I went out next day to have a look and there were two tiny brown frogs splashing around (the following pic shows one of them, tho' not splashing around).

Gotta love the inaka. The only creatures I saw when living in the city were cockroaches and stray cats. The former were repulsive; the latter delightful. In fact, here's a pic of one:

Wait, I tell a lie: I used to see wild boars in the rivers in Kobe. Here:

Anyway, this is fast turning into a photo essay. Sorry to get carried away. All I wanted to do was say that wage Slave was right.

indoctrin8

Unread post by indoctrin8 » Wed Aug 06, 2008 10:44 pm

mm. its cool how wildlife
adapts round us monkeys.

back home i used to watch
foxes rake thru the garbage.

seeing deer in the parks
was also common.

just wait til we fuck
it all up. theres millions
of wee furry guys waitin
to take over.

my bets on the rodents.

Stick-Swinging Incident
9 miles of bad road
9 miles of bad road

Unread post by Stick-Swinging Incident » Thu Aug 07, 2008 1:39 am

Give me those 3 to 1 odds on "Team Insect"... Their captain Cockroach is a hell of a battler!
[i][size=150][color=#4040FF] §[/color][/size][/i]

exUsagiCoalMiner
Cassandra
Cassandra

Unread post by exUsagiCoalMiner » Thu Aug 07, 2008 1:55 am

After the great robotic revolution and the nuclear holocaust, the only things left will be cockroaches and Twinkies.

Stick-Swinging Incident
9 miles of bad road
9 miles of bad road

Unread post by Stick-Swinging Incident » Thu Aug 07, 2008 2:28 am

exUsagiCoalMiner wrote:After the great robotic revolution and the nuclear holocaust, the only things left will be cockroaches and Twinkies.
And, in the ultimate ironic twist of fate, the neo-nuclear twinkies will be the ONLY thing that the cockroaches can't/won't eat. (It will be the definitive proof that a god does exist and that he has a wicked sense of humour, however we'll all be dead so it won't really matter by then.) :jaw:

Stick-Swinging Incident
9 miles of bad road
9 miles of bad road

Unread post by Stick-Swinging Incident » Thu Aug 07, 2008 2:32 am

Ooops, just realized I think I've hijacked this thread thats supposed to be something positive.

So... to get back on track

Lately there have been some absolutely spectacular lightning storms in my area. I've seen lightning before but this stuff has multiple flashes a second.
Had one or two forks of lightning go clear across the sky horizontally, but it branched out like a fern I guess you could say.

Just sat there saying WOW :jaw: til the next one lit up half the sky with one super bright bolt!

(and best thing was, gots me some high res pics of em...) :)

exUsagiCoalMiner
Cassandra
Cassandra

Unread post by exUsagiCoalMiner » Thu Aug 07, 2008 9:14 am

Have to agree with the recent "light shows" we've been getting. (Until a bolt hit the lightning rod in the building directly behind mine - shockwave and sound blast were immense.)
Another little great, well, for me at least:
Delivery companies actually delivering when they're supposed to!

And another (which I had to add after hitting submit):
Being the first post on a new page. Don't know why, just feels cool.

EDIT: to add the other great of being the first on a new page.

AmishChief
Hopeless Drone
Hopeless Drone

Unread post by AmishChief » Thu Aug 07, 2008 10:02 am

exUsagiCoalMiner wrote:
AmishChief wrote:My good points this week - 2nd year anniversary with my girlfriend today and my birthday tomorrow. I could do without the Hiroshima mourn-fest, but all things considered, this has been a decent summer. Now to fine some solid way to drill grammar points for 2-kyuu on the JLPT...
Congrats on the 2 year mark, and Happy Birthday! Hope both are good days!
Thanks! Both were very good. I got a whole load of messages from friends and the anniversary was good, so I can't complain!

InTheColdLightOfDay
9 miles of bad road
9 miles of bad road

Unread post by InTheColdLightOfDay » Thu Aug 07, 2008 10:31 am

exUsagiCoalMiner wrote: shockwave and sound blast were immense.
Not surprising with an avatar like that...
Each monkeys has different face. It's very difficult to distinguish monkey's face, like we can't memorize foreigner's face.

indoctrin8

Unread post by indoctrin8 » Thu Aug 07, 2008 10:42 am

Stick-Swinging Incident wrote:
(and best thing was, gots me some high res pics of em...) :)

put them up if you can.

ive been a total child with
the last couple of thunderstorms.

alternating between cooing at the
lightning and worrying about the
possible end of the world.

these last few storms are the
biggest ive seen here for years.
have turned into one of those
daft buggers that go outside and
stand arms aloft whilst getting
soaked.

better than watchin the shit tv.

Shawn
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: At Mitch & Murray, holding on to the good leads and preparing sets of steak knives

Unread post by Shawn » Thu Aug 07, 2008 10:47 am

I've found myself staring up at the night sky, too. It's far more interesting than anything on TV. :D