The Dental Clinics in Japan Thread

For topics not directly related to eikaiwa.
Forum rules
The basic forum rules are here :wink: . Refer to the BBCode Guide for information on using BBCode tags, plus this post about additional tags for embedding video.

What's your take on the dentistry profession in Japan?

All Japanese dentists are excellent. I don't understand why they get such an undeserved bum rap.
No votes
Most Japanese dentists are excellent. A few bad apples causes everything to get blown out of proportion, though.
8%
Japanese dentists are no better or no worse than dentists other industrialized nations.
46%
Most Japanese dentists are horrible. But if you know where to go, you should be fine.
29%
All Japanese dentists are horrible. Plain and simple.
4%
No personal experiences or thoughts on the matter.
13%

Total votes: 24

gomen
Frustrated Realist
Frustrated Realist

Re: The Dental Clinics in Japan Thread

Unread post by gomen » Thu Mar 26, 2009 3:59 pm

i really wish i'd known how cheap japanese dentists were when i first came here, i'd been putting off having anything done for ages! my dentist is great, speaks perfect english but only switched to english when i couldn't follow the japanese, so i never feel patronised. i had a filling, tooth cleaning etc done yesterday and it only cost me about 1,200yen! i'm going to get the biggest shock when i go back to gaikoku....

quato
Jaded Veteran
Jaded Veteran

how many times

Unread post by quato » Mon Jun 15, 2009 9:41 pm

How many visits does it take for a standard teeth cleaning/gum checkup/xray? Today I went to http://418smile.com/ in Nakano for my 3rd visit- they could only scrape my lower teeth the first time because the panoramic xray and initial check took so much time. The second visit they scraped my upper teeth and cleaned my whole mouth and then today they checked my gums one last time--- during which they found a cavity which they couldn't detect with the panoramic xray! They said they want to give me a tiny little filling that they can do in the 4th visit but I'm a little skeptical... Will they find another reason for me to go back during my 4th visit? I guess I should have gone to the one in Suginami-ku that give free humerus xrays.

Keleidoscope
Eikaiwa Hero
Eikaiwa Hero

Unread post by Keleidoscope » Fri Nov 20, 2009 3:40 pm

In two years I had to go once, and I was pleasantly surprised,

I smash one of my teeth and the resulting sensitivity was too annoying, so I had to bite the bullet and go to the dentist. Having seen my students teeth, I was adamant that there was no way they were going to give me a giant piece of metal at the front of my mouth (it's a lower eye tooth) and that if they tried I was going to wait until I went home. I took a Japanese friend along with me so that this could be very clear, as my basic Japanese study never included, 'no metal fillings, I'd rather be in pain".

Turns out I needn't have worried. They looked, they discussed in Japanese for forever, this got translated to me as, "you're going to get a small white plastic", they put the white shit on, they dried it, they buffed it, I paid the 4 000 yen, and off I went. Didn't even look at my other teeth or anything, whole adventure took like 10 minutes.

The moral of the story?

When you are going to nomi hodai karaoke, park the mama-chari and get a taxi home.
Yes it's been a while :)

In The Know
Cassandra
Cassandra

Unread post by In The Know » Fri Nov 20, 2009 5:37 pm

Keleidoscope wrote:The moral of the story?

When you are going to nomi hodai karaoke, park the mama-chari and get a taxi home.
:haha: More than once I have been guilty of BWI (bicycling while intoxicated). No lost teeth, but a foggy brain the next day as I tried to recall how I got home. One afternoon following a bender, I went back to get my bicycle that I remembered parking near the Umeda bar we were at. The damn bike was gone! I walked home and later that day I happened to see it outside my apartment where I parked it the night before in my intoxicated state. :oops: But no broken teeth! :clap:

Tall Tall Tree
Cassandra
Cassandra

Unread post by Tall Tall Tree » Fri Nov 20, 2009 6:12 pm

Keleidoscope wrote:The moral of the story?

Seems more like the molar of the story to me.

:bye:

blackpassenger
Fresh & Minty
Fresh & Minty

Unread post by blackpassenger » Sat Mar 27, 2010 5:04 pm

since my arrival here in 2001, ive had terrible experiences with dentist. my first year in the countryside, I had to show the hygeinist how to scale my teeth. had to explain to her how important it was to do every tooth. i get my teeth cleaned every 3 months and most dentits here told me that, "you dont need it, theres not that much plaque." of course my standards are a bit high, my adopted father is a dentist is california. when i moved to kobe, i found an awsome dentist in hyogo, right near the jr hyogo station. getting my teeth cleaned there was exactly like getting them cleaned at my dad's dental office.

MacGyver
Shockproof shit detector
Shockproof shit detector

Unread post by MacGyver » Wed Apr 07, 2010 4:55 pm

Just got back from 2 weeks in Thailand (although my 4th trip now) and if there's one thing the Thai's do far better than the Japanese, its dentistry. Most Thai people have amazing teeth. In comparison to J peeps who on the whole have shocking teeth....
"Yous guys talk a lotta shit. I'm much more smarter than all a yous." - Samurai Jerk after being owned by the Let's Japan crew.

steki47

Re: how many times

Unread post by steki47 » Fri Aug 26, 2011 7:43 am

quato wrote:How many visits does it take for a standard teeth cleaning/gum checkup/xray?

This is my only real gripe about dentists in Japan. Three visits for a cleaning, six visits (!) for a plaque scraping. Is this an insurance/money thing? I seem to remember cleaning in the US was a one-time, one-hour deal. Not the 3 20-minute sessions they have in Japan. (This was a long time ago as I went many years without insurance back home.)

Other than that, I have received quality treatment at the two dentists I have visited. Had two wisdom teeth pulled (over two sessions) that slid right out. Lots of happy juice, etc.

And cheap! I walk out of there Y1300 lighter. Nice!

Kuronama
Eikaiwa Hero
Eikaiwa Hero

Re: how many times

Unread post by Kuronama » Sat Sep 03, 2011 7:30 pm

steki47 wrote:
quato wrote:How many visits does it take for a standard teeth cleaning/gum checkup/xray?

This is my only real gripe about dentists in Japan. Three visits for a cleaning, six visits (!) for a plaque scraping. Is this an insurance/money thing? I seem to remember cleaning in the US was a one-time, one-hour deal. Not the 3 20-minute sessions they have in Japan. (This was a long time ago as I went many years without insurance back home.)

Other than that, I have received quality treatment at the two dentists I have visited. Had two wisdom teeth pulled (over two sessions) that slid right out. Lots of happy juice, etc.

And cheap! I walk out of there Y1300 lighter. Nice!

It could simply be that attitude here of, quantity versus quality and efficiency - eikaiwa, the school system and clearly dental clinics are just a few examples of that. Being a dentist here, apparently, has become "working class" one dentist student a few years back told me, cuz there are too many of them, and they are all competing for business. So I guess they all want to have as many patients as possible, and to look as busy in their clinic as possible (which is good here, cuz its the J-mentality of "oh, theres a huge line-up for ramen, and it was probably on TV, so it must be good and i'll wait 2 hours"), which means doing on the minimal amount of work/visit. At my dentist in my hometown back in Canada, I get a check-up AND a cleaning - DURING THE SAME VISIT!! Oh my god! :lol: And if I need a cavity that needs filling, they would schedule ONE visit a couple weeks later. And for wisdom teeth? One visit/tooth?? NOPE! Two at a time, two visits. Or if youre put under the gas, ALL 4 AT ONCE! Holy Shite! Impossible! At least thats what my students think when I tell them that :rotfl:

Oh, while were on the topic of dentists - seeing as were in the dental clinics thread :wink: - Ive got another story (actually two stories). First is, my wife went to the dentist yesterday to get a filling, but apparently here if the filling required is big enough, you have to make another appointment (as has already been discussed) cuz they apparently have to custom design the shit or whatever :blah: Anyway, she went yesterday and apparently this filling didnt fit!! :bang: Now, she has to go back again sometime this month, where hopefully, THIS TIME, the filling will actually fit!! Jesus H Christ! At least she didnt hve to pay for yesterday's visit (otherwise I woulda raised some hell).

Second, I was talkin to a coworker today, and they said had an appointment yesterday to get a little work done. Anyway, this guy was saying that the dentist DIDNT use gloves!! For surgery!! Not even just a check-up - though once the hands are INSIDE the mouth and touching the skin, the dentist really needs to be using gloves! Wouldnt that be the FIRST thing you learn in dental school?! And the double standard shit is just as bad: The entire country's population will take shoes off, including in an office a lot of the time, and wear slippers... HELLO?!?! But wear gloves, even when the patient your dentist just attended to - and may or may not have washed his hands, cuz if theyre not wearin gloves, who's to say they have enough of a brain/common sense to wash their hands after each sitdown - could have HIV or any other serious disease? Nah.. they are a professional,and u dont want to insult the "sensei" by asking them to put on a pair of gloves and spend a whopping 5 yen :anger: :anger: :anger:

exUsagiCoalMiner
Cassandra
Cassandra
Location: In the concrete jungle known as "the Kitchen of Japan"....

Unread post by exUsagiCoalMiner » Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:37 pm

...bump...
I have a (I suspect from a botched root canal) molar that acts up every time I have a lot of drainage. After doing some research, I found a good home remedy for those times when you can't get to the dentist right away.
Most of the sites I looked at all agreed that Clove Oil (or barring that, ground cloves) is the best home remedy for a tooth ache. Apparently cloves are a natural analgesic, antiseptic and have anti-inflammatory properties.
I couldn't find Clove Oil at the usual places here in Osaka, but I did find a bottle of ground cloves at Seijo Ishii (in their spices section).
Basically, add just enough water to the powder to make a paste and rub it over the tooth that hurts. Relief in a bout 5 minutes - that actually lasts.

Most sites did have a bit of a warning though - Apparently Cloves are strong enough that if you leave them on the tooth long enough, or repeat the process too often, they can actually kill the root/nerve.
"But it's got sharp, pointy teeth!"

steki47

Unread post by steki47 » Wed Aug 29, 2012 7:47 am

Hey rude old man dentist-wear some fucking gloves when you stick your fingers in my mouth!

Cadence
Jaded Veteran
Jaded Veteran

Unread post by Cadence » Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:53 am

S-B wrote:I can highly recommend this one, based in Ginza:

http://www.fdclinic.com/english/

Never had a problem and treated very well. I was always nervous about finding a Japanese dentist too, but I was recommended that place by a friend. Never spoken down to, never patronised - was much much better than my dentist back home. Not so badly priced either. For dental work though, I don't put a price tag on it. The process has been painless so far too!

(No, I don't work for them!)
Bit of a bump from years back, but just wanted to thank you for the recommendation of this clinic; contacted them last week by telephone, all in English. Arranged an appointment, and clarified a few things via email, swiftly, and again all in English.

Went down there yesterday. Great place, good, professional service and they know what they are doing. Decided to use them to get my teeth totally sorted out. Not cheap, but you get what you pay for, and given the alternatives, I am more than happy to patronise this place.

So, another vote for fdclinic.com/english

:thumbsup:

Fresh & Minty
Fresh & Minty

Unread post by 1984 » Tue Oct 29, 2013 4:02 pm

MacGyver wrote:Just got back from 2 weeks in Thailand (although my 4th trip now) and if there's one thing the Thai's do far better than the Japanese, its dentistry. Most Thai people have amazing teeth. In comparison to J peeps who on the whole have shocking teeth....
There are some very good hospitals in Thailand with doctors, nurses and staff that speak English. Even Taiwanese hospitals are quite good with doctors, nurses and staff that speak English. Japanese doctors don't speak English and the whole medical system here - e.g., practices, approaches - seems to exist in a vacuum. Dentistry, as with other medical services, is a roll of the dice in Japan.

Dr. Fred Shane once told me years ago, "If it's serious, get it (operation) done back home not in Japan."

Taiwan or Thailand are great options for serious medical serious if you can afford it or later claim the costs with your Japanese insurance, which I've done 3 or 4 times now. The less serious stuff - e.g., scrapes and sprains, STDs, etc. - any hospital will do.

Overall, while I have a very low opinion of Japanese medical services for various reasons such as no English speaking doctors or nurses, mis-diagnoses, shoddy dental work, lack of effective pain medications, etc., I know guys whose wives had had babies here in clinics and they say that they were well looked after.

JerryDavid

Unread post by JerryDavid » Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:11 pm

A bit of a bump, but I use http://healthyim.com/en/ to find my English speaking dentist :) You can search for all types of english speaking clinics and hospitals on that site! :clap:

JerryDavid

Unread post by JerryDavid » Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:12 pm

A bit of a bump, but I use http://healthyim.com/en/ to find my English speaking dentist :) You can search for all types of english speaking clinics and hospitals on that site! :clap: