The Japanese Police Thread

For topics not directly related to eikaiwa.
Forum rules
The basic forum rules are here :wink: . Refer to the BBCode Guide for information on using BBCode tags, plus this post about additional tags for embedding video.

Based on my personal encounters with Japanese police my impression is

Very favorable
8%
Somewhat favorable
26%
Neutral (neither favorable, nor unfavorable)
25%
Somewhat unfavorable
11%
Very unfavorable
18%
Doesn't apply to me/Have not had any personal encounters with the Japanese police
11%

Total votes: 61

exUsagiCoalMiner
Cassandra
Cassandra
Location: In the concrete jungle known as "the Kitchen of Japan"....

Re: The Japanese Police Thread

Unread post by exUsagiCoalMiner » Fri Jun 22, 2012 12:07 am

Johnny is going to be so disappointed...
"But it's got sharp, pointy teeth!"

allblacks

Unread post by allblacks » Fri Jun 29, 2012 12:11 pm

http://www.japantoday.com/category/crim ... -back-door
OKYO —
Police are investigating how a man was able to escape from police custody while being detained at a police box (“koban”) in Tokyo.

The Shakujii police department said the man, who was being held on suspicion of groping a woman in a train car on the Seibu Shinjuku line, escaped from the “koban” opposite Kami-shakujii Station in Nerima Ward on June 18, TBS reported.

The police sergeant on duty, a man in his 50s, made the suspect wait in a back room at around 8 p.m. while he questioned the alleged victim. When he later went to question the man, the sergeant realized that the suspect had left the station by an unlocked back door, TBS reported.

According to the Tokyo Metropolitan Police Department, the sergeant had not yet taken the man’s name, and as such, his identity is unknown. Before being left alone in the room, the suspect reportedly told the officer, “This has nothing to do with me.”

There was no other officer on duty at the time.
Wow. That's a doozie. Remind me of Ichihashi. Sort of...

allblacks

Unread post by allblacks » Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:48 am

Im fricking speechless!

http://www.japantoday.com/category/crim ... -back-seat
Woman police officer, driving drunk, causes crash with baby daughter in back seat
TOKYO —
Police said Monday they have arrested a female police head patrol officer for causing an accident while driving drunk in Tokyo’s Katsushika Ward on Saturday. The woman had her 5-month-old baby daughter in the car with her at the time of the crash, TV Asahi reported.

The officer, who has been named as 32-year-old Yoshimi Minamoto, was reportedly driving under the influence when her car collided with another vehicle on Saturday night. Minamoto then reportedly attempted to flee the scene with her daughter, TV Asahi reported. Police say she stumbled and fell, at which point she left her daughter on the ground and ran away.

Minamoto, who was on maternity leave from police duties at the time of the incident, was tested at six times the legal alcohol limit, police were quoted as saying. During police questioning, Minamoto said: “I have been finding raising a baby stressful and hid the stress from my husband by drinking.”

A Tokyo Metropolitan Police spokesperson said, “This is a deeply deplorable incident and we will be dealing with the accused in a strict manner,” TV Asahi reported.
YOU STUPID FUCKING BINT!

MacGyver
Shockproof shit detector
Shockproof shit detector

Unread post by MacGyver » Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:36 pm

allblacks wrote:YOU STUPID FUCKING BINT!
:agree: ffs
"Yous guys talk a lotta shit. I'm much more smarter than all a yous." - Samurai Jerk after being owned by the Let's Japan crew.

exUsagiCoalMiner
Cassandra
Cassandra

Unread post by exUsagiCoalMiner » Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:00 am

Minamoto said: “I have been finding raising a baby stressful and hid the stress from my husband by drinking.”
:puke: FUCK YOU you reject of humanity. :FU: :ack:
A Tokyo Metropolitan Police spokesperson said, “This is a deeply deplorable incident and we will be dealing with the accused in a strict manner,” TV Asahi reported.
You fucking think so? (And by strict manner do you mean you're going to make her sit in the koban at a desk all day... :roll: )

exUsagiCoalMiner
Cassandra
Cassandra

Unread post by exUsagiCoalMiner » Thu Jul 12, 2012 4:04 pm

http://mainichi.jp/english/english/news ... 4000c.html
Shiga police launch probe into junior-high school student's suicide

OTSU -- Shiga Prefectural Police launched a full-scale investigation July 11 into bullying and injuries inflicted on a 13-year-old male student who committed suicide here in October last year.

Police have set up a 25-member team including investigators specializing in youth cases. After questioning the principal and others at the school, as well as leading members of the city board of education, the team will question students at the boy's school.

Prior to the investigation, the deceased student's family visited Otsu Police Station three times to file claims of violence against the boy, but their submissions were not accepted.

"In light of the string of news reports and other factors, we decided that we must embark on uncovering the facts," said Akio Mitsushige, head of the prefectural police force's life safety department.

Police said the life safety department and investigators at Otsu Police Station will participate in the investigation. Investigators are expected to ask the school and board of education officials about surveys conducted on all the school students after the suicide and about the city's investigation until now.

In the survey, students answered that others tried to make the deceased student eat dead bees, that the student was forced to shoplift, that money was extorted from him, and that he was hit and kicked in the restroom. Sixteen students also answered that the deceased student was made to practice suicide. Investigators will seek to determine whether the behavior referred to in the survey results actually happened. If investigators determine that crimes like violence or threats occurred, they are expected to send the offenders to family courts or give them corrective guidance.

However, as the survey answers are believed to contain third-party information, investigators intend to proceed carefully in their investigation into the answers and the cause of the student's suicide.

On July 10, Otsu mayor Naomi Koshi commented on legal action by the victim's parents against the city, saying, "I think (the student) died because there was bullying. We want to accept the bereaved family's argument and settle the suit (with them)."

The relatives of the deceased student took the city and classmates of the student to court in February, seeking around 77.2 million yen in damages. The city, however, showed intention to fight the suit, arguing that it was not clear that bullying led to the student's suicide.

In her comments, Koshi added, "The school's insufficient investigation was a factor in this situation where too much time has passed (since the suicide) to be able to acquire enough information from those involved."
"In light of the string of news reports and other factors, we decided that we must embark on uncovering the facts,"
Are you fucking kidding me? Let's not investigate because a student was basically bullied to death. Damned pesky journalists making us get off our arses and do our jobs... :bang:

eb0li
Jaded Veteran
Jaded Veteran

Unread post by eb0li » Thu Jul 12, 2012 5:59 pm

Is there a law against bullying? I don't think there is in Japan or America so beyond determining for a fact that it was a suicide and not a murder what responsibility do the police have? If death threats were made against him they should investigate but why should the police get involved for being made to eat dead bees? Everyone knows bullys choose easy targets so why weren't the parents trying to raise a child who stands up for himself and doesn't contemplate suicide as a way out? Of course laying any of the blame whatsoever on the parents would just be so insensitive and politically incorrect. It's always the schools and societys fault alone.

Rant off

AsahiSupaSpy
Eikaiwa Hero
Eikaiwa Hero

Unread post by AsahiSupaSpy » Fri Jul 13, 2012 3:46 pm

Yeah, I don't know. Would there be something like 'actions contributing towards...' or 'malice aforethought' or some such? I really have no idea, but if a person is bullied so badly that they choose suicide as the only way out, surely someone should be held accountable.
Half the reason this shit goes on, and seems to be getting more widespread, is that people are rarely held fully responsible for their own actions these days. There is always some mental condition, or cycle of abuse, or medical side effect, or media influence or what have you.
I am not saying these things don't exist but sometimes, people are just worthless, good for nothing fuckheads.
Do NOT arrest this man.

exUsagiCoalMiner
Cassandra
Cassandra

Unread post by exUsagiCoalMiner » Sat Jul 14, 2012 1:11 am

A very good blog post on this by our very own Spastic Tactician:
(URL redacted as there is a fairly recognizable pic of Spas on there...)
Oh, this is some bullshit, right here.
by spastictactician

This is one of those situations that puts me in a shitty head space that I just can’t shake. I feel impotent and useless and furious and ashamed.

There’s something you should know about Japan: This country runs on a system of institutionalized bullying. In schools, universities, companies, political arenas, police, military and fire fighting forces, medical establishments and, for all intents and purposes, every organized niche of Japanese culture, the sempai/kohai system reigns as the default organizational standard. Sempai is the term given to an older or more experienced member of a given hierarchal structure. Kohai is a younger or less experienced member. Under this system, the sempai is given near complete authority over any and all kohai. For a kohai to question, criticize or disobey a sempai is strictly taboo in most situations.

This system is responsible for the stagnation of so many Japanese corporations and industries. Long time employees who have only ever learned one way of doing things (which they learned from their sempai) are reluctant to change and never allow younger workers with different ideas to express themselves, let alone institute change.

This system is responsible for the shockingly large burnout rate for new medical doctors. Sempai doctors pile such amazing workloads on newcomers that they either quit, commit suicide or make career destroying errors at frightening rates.

This system is responsible for the continued institutionalized corruption in Japanese government. Any kohai in a government position who even suggests a change in the system is shown the door. Not for exposing corruption, but for daring to question a sempai. The sempai is older and therefore (goes the narrative) wiser. Questioning someone wiser than yourself reveals a character so flawed as to be unfit for the job.

This system is responsible for the rampant labour abuses in Japan. The famed efficiency and worker motivation that Japan butters its bread with is almost entirely due to a system where workers have been trained to do exactly what they’ve been told, for as long as they are told to do it as long as the person telling them to do it is older. Labour unions are so powerless here as to be a joke. Management always makes sure to have an elderly sempai figure in negotiations who can make sweeping statements that younger labour negotiators are conditioned to just accept. Most bargaining sessions are nothing more than management telling the union how things are going to be this year.

All of that stuff pisses me off. I don’t dwell on it very often, however. All I have to do is look at the corporate greed, sly corruption, cutthroat business practices, and crumbling social infrastructure in Canada and America to realize that none of these problems rooted in the sempai/kohai system are so horrible that they have no analog in my own culture. I recognize that the problems have a slightly different genesis, but I don’t feel that the cultural difference warrants any of the “These fucking people don’t know what the hell they’re doing” kind of rants that are pretty common in the expat community here.

There is one facet to the system, however, that does infuriate me and causes all of the negativity that I started with at the top: The sempai system is, as mentioned, an institutionalized form of bullying. I speak primarily of schools when I say this, but it appears that the same is true of all the places I’ve mentioned. Sempai students are not only allowed to bully kohai, but, in many schools, are encouraged to do so. Sempai are responsible for ensuring that younger students don’t get out of line. They have free reign to do as they please to stamp out behavior considered weird or different or contrary to harmony. They do so, in many cases, quite joyfully, as they’ve suffered in the position of kohai for years before finally having the chance to wield the end of the stick without shit on it. This is true of schools ranging from preschool to university.

Students who say the wrong things, who react differently to stimulus, who look differently, who think differently, who don’t like the same things are physically and emotionally battered for their transgressions. Teachers aid the process by scolding the victims of the bullying for exhibiting the behavior that brought on the wrath of the bullies, and by failing to implement even the most perfunctory of disciplinary procedures against known bullies.. This has been the case for so long, that it is now not only sempai that are given free rein to bully. Anybody who is bigger, more aggressive or can find a way to gain the upper hand is free to try their hand at it. Bullying is such an integral part of the social engineering that happens in Japanese schools, that teachers don’t even recognize it as a negative force. Parents who complain that their children are being terrorized at school are asked to help bring their kids into line so they don’t have to worry about it anymore. If the kid still doesn’t come around, the schools often suggest that the student take some time away from school. The numbers of school aged children who don’t attend school are growing rapidly. The schools hide the true numbers by continuing to collect tuition and to promote students through grades despite non-attendance. This is how Japan maintains its stellar graduation rates: It is nearly impossible to fail.

This week, in the news in Japan, you can read about a student in Shiga prefecture. He was thirteen years old when he killed himself. He had been brutally bullied for years. His parents had begged his homeroom teacher to intercede. He refused. They begged the principal to intercede and were told that there wasn’t any evidence of bullying. They finally went to the police. Three times, after three separate incidents of assault. The police told them that there wouldn’t even be an investigation.

It was pretty much inevitable that this kid would snap. When he finally did, and committed suicide, his parents, (who probably should have done more, but I have very little anger for them as my empathy trumps it), launched a lawsuit against the families of the bullies, the school, the police and the city. Nobody offered to settle or even discuss it. The city and the police prepared their defense based on the “there is no evidence that any bullying even happened” argument. They would have won, had it not been for someone (I’m not sure who…The news stories I’ve read don’t mention) who released details from a questionnaire that had been distributed to the staff and students at the school.

Overwhelmingly, the staff and students appear to believe that the bullying wasn’t really that serious. They were comfortable enough with the goings on to reveal them in their answers on a questionnaire: The boy was physically assaulted. Kicked, slapped, punched, held down. This happened daily. He was forced to eat dead bees. He was teased and verbally abused several times every day. He was trapped in toilet stalls. He was extorted for money regularly. All of this is bad enough. If you aren’t pissed off yet, however, the next detail would pretty much have to get you there.

With the knowledge and (Fuck you! Fuck you! Fuck you!) participation of at least one teacher, this boy was made to practice and simulate several different methods of suicide.

No hyperbole. I am shaking with anger after writing that last sentence.

I don’t care how much money the boy’s family gets. It should be a lot, but…whatever. There will be no justice unless every single staff member at that school is run out of the education field for good. Fuck them all so much. I can’t even think rationally about what I hope happens, here.

Now…. I teach elementary school. For a bunch of reasons, I’m not going to go much further along explaining why, exactly, I feel the way I do to the extremes I do. I just don’t know what I’m going to do if I ever have to ask myself if there was more I could have done. I don’t know how I’m going to avoid it, though.

Spastic Tactician
July 13, 2012

bostonaussie
Jaded Veteran
Jaded Veteran

Unread post by bostonaussie » Sat Jul 21, 2012 11:48 pm

exUsagiCoalMiner wrote:A very good blog post on this by our very own Spastic Tactician:
(URL redacted as there is a fairly recognizable pic of Spas on there...)
Oh, this is some bullshit, right here.
by spastictactician

This is one of those situations that puts me in a shitty head space that I just can’t shake. I feel impotent and useless and furious and ashamed.

There’s something you should know about Japan: This country runs on a system of institutionalized bullying. In schools, universities, companies, political arenas, police, military and fire fighting forces, medical establishments and, for all intents and purposes, every organized niche of Japanese culture, the sempai/kohai system reigns as the default organizational standard. Sempai is the term given to an older or more experienced member of a given hierarchal structure. Kohai is a younger or less experienced member. Under this system, the sempai is given near complete authority over any and all kohai. For a kohai to question, criticize or disobey a sempai is strictly taboo in most situations.

This system is responsible for the stagnation of so many Japanese corporations and industries. Long time employees who have only ever learned one way of doing things (which they learned from their sempai) are reluctant to change and never allow younger workers with different ideas to express themselves, let alone institute change.

This system is responsible for the shockingly large burnout rate for new medical doctors. Sempai doctors pile such amazing workloads on newcomers that they either quit, commit suicide or make career destroying errors at frightening rates.

This system is responsible for the continued institutionalized corruption in Japanese government. Any kohai in a government position who even suggests a change in the system is shown the door. Not for exposing corruption, but for daring to question a sempai. The sempai is older and therefore (goes the narrative) wiser. Questioning someone wiser than yourself reveals a character so flawed as to be unfit for the job.

This system is responsible for the rampant labour abuses in Japan. The famed efficiency and worker motivation that Japan butters its bread with is almost entirely due to a system where workers have been trained to do exactly what they’ve been told, for as long as they are told to do it as long as the person telling them to do it is older. Labour unions are so powerless here as to be a joke. Management always makes sure to have an elderly sempai figure in negotiations who can make sweeping statements that younger labour negotiators are conditioned to just accept. Most bargaining sessions are nothing more than management telling the union how things are going to be this year.

All of that stuff pisses me off. I don’t dwell on it very often, however. All I have to do is look at the corporate greed, sly corruption, cutthroat business practices, and crumbling social infrastructure in Canada and America to realize that none of these problems rooted in the sempai/kohai system are so horrible that they have no analog in my own culture. I recognize that the problems have a slightly different genesis, but I don’t feel that the cultural difference warrants any of the “These fucking people don’t know what the hell they’re doing” kind of rants that are pretty common in the expat community here.

There is one facet to the system, however, that does infuriate me and causes all of the negativity that I started with at the top: The sempai system is, as mentioned, an institutionalized form of bullying. I speak primarily of schools when I say this, but it appears that the same is true of all the places I’ve mentioned. Sempai students are not only allowed to bully kohai, but, in many schools, are encouraged to do so. Sempai are responsible for ensuring that younger students don’t get out of line. They have free reign to do as they please to stamp out behavior considered weird or different or contrary to harmony. They do so, in many cases, quite joyfully, as they’ve suffered in the position of kohai for years before finally having the chance to wield the end of the stick without shit on it. This is true of schools ranging from preschool to university.

Students who say the wrong things, who react differently to stimulus, who look differently, who think differently, who don’t like the same things are physically and emotionally battered for their transgressions. Teachers aid the process by scolding the victims of the bullying for exhibiting the behavior that brought on the wrath of the bullies, and by failing to implement even the most perfunctory of disciplinary procedures against known bullies.. This has been the case for so long, that it is now not only sempai that are given free rein to bully. Anybody who is bigger, more aggressive or can find a way to gain the upper hand is free to try their hand at it. Bullying is such an integral part of the social engineering that happens in Japanese schools, that teachers don’t even recognize it as a negative force. Parents who complain that their children are being terrorized at school are asked to help bring their kids into line so they don’t have to worry about it anymore. If the kid still doesn’t come around, the schools often suggest that the student take some time away from school. The numbers of school aged children who don’t attend school are growing rapidly. The schools hide the true numbers by continuing to collect tuition and to promote students through grades despite non-attendance. This is how Japan maintains its stellar graduation rates: It is nearly impossible to fail.

This week, in the news in Japan, you can read about a student in Shiga prefecture. He was thirteen years old when he killed himself. He had been brutally bullied for years. His parents had begged his homeroom teacher to intercede. He refused. They begged the principal to intercede and were told that there wasn’t any evidence of bullying. They finally went to the police. Three times, after three separate incidents of assault. The police told them that there wouldn’t even be an investigation.

It was pretty much inevitable that this kid would snap. When he finally did, and committed suicide, his parents, (who probably should have done more, but I have very little anger for them as my empathy trumps it), launched a lawsuit against the families of the bullies, the school, the police and the city. Nobody offered to settle or even discuss it. The city and the police prepared their defense based on the “there is no evidence that any bullying even happened” argument. They would have won, had it not been for someone (I’m not sure who…The news stories I’ve read don’t mention) who released details from a questionnaire that had been distributed to the staff and students at the school.

Overwhelmingly, the staff and students appear to believe that the bullying wasn’t really that serious. They were comfortable enough with the goings on to reveal them in their answers on a questionnaire: The boy was physically assaulted. Kicked, slapped, punched, held down. This happened daily. He was forced to eat dead bees. He was teased and verbally abused several times every day. He was trapped in toilet stalls. He was extorted for money regularly. All of this is bad enough. If you aren’t pissed off yet, however, the next detail would pretty much have to get you there.

With the knowledge and (Fuck you! Fuck you! Fuck you!) participation of at least one teacher, this boy was made to practice and simulate several different methods of suicide.

No hyperbole. I am shaking with anger after writing that last sentence.

I don’t care how much money the boy’s family gets. It should be a lot, but…whatever. There will be no justice unless every single staff member at that school is run out of the education field for good. Fuck them all so much. I can’t even think rationally about what I hope happens, here.

Now…. I teach elementary school. For a bunch of reasons, I’m not going to go much further along explaining why, exactly, I feel the way I do to the extremes I do. I just don’t know what I’m going to do if I ever have to ask myself if there was more I could have done. I don’t know how I’m going to avoid it, though.

Spastic Tactician
July 13, 2012

As a former cop and a current online graduate diploma student in counselling, two words - I CONCUR. This is gold my friend. You have put so well and succinctly. It will take a polar shift for it to change, yet with effort it can be done.

I remember the baseball strike in 2004/2005. At the time, the team owners and NPB decided a new team, the Rakuten Eagles, was to be accepted in to the league. The owners and the league felt they had right of way and were just going to push it through - UNTIL THE PLAYERS STEPPED IN. The players were insulted that they were not a part of the discussion, and the head of the players union, Yakult Swallows catcher Atsuya Furuta, stated that the league has to talk to the players or they will start striking. The league and the owners basically laughed at this and ignored it - AND THE PLAYERS STRIKED. FANCY THIS - OPENING WEEKEND - NOTHING. NO GAMES. ZER0. ZILCH. The head of the owners, the yomiuri giants, must have spat all over his knickers because at the price conference between him and Furuta the next week, he almost appeared decent and conciliatory. Heck he almost appeared genuine - except for his " shake my hand and dont make me look like a fool" look he gave Furuta when the time for handshakes came, at which point Furuta looked at him and his hand three times and committed a rather unique, heart string pulling, and poignant moment on national TV - in the form of telling 'Mr Yomiuri' to basically - yet ever so sweetly and politely- to go fuck himself.

Baseball actually continued pretty well after that.

I understand that this is on a far bigger level, but it can be done. I guess it is still so ingrained in the Japanese psyche, that it will take many years to break - but hey, big mountains start as small piles yeh ??

allblacks

Unread post by allblacks » Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:01 am

My daughter has been bullied in her basketball club. Its been going on for the last 2 months. Im quite literally about to visit the parents houses and belt some heads in. That is how pissed off I am about the whole thing. They can just cop a large white guy in their faces! Fuck them and their bullying kids!

EXCEPT...my daughter has been VERY mature about it. On Saturday just gone she asked for permission to go to the school for a meeting about the bullying. She was apologized to by the girl who lead the bullying and subsequently this girl burst into tears because of the shame. DONT FUCKING DO IT TO START WITH YOU IDIOT!

Im not going to make threats to these people. Im just going to act if someone bullies my kids. Especially in middle school and if they are yanki fuckers.

SamhainP8
Dronus japonica
Dronus japonica

Unread post by SamhainP8 » Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:37 am

Good on your daughter :clap:
Let's hope that's the end of it.
"Do you know how a falcon is trained, my dear? Her eyes are sewn shut. Blinded temporarily, she suffers the whims of her God patiently, until her will is submerged and she learns to serve - as your God taught and blinded you with crosses."

exUsagiCoalMiner
Cassandra
Cassandra

Unread post by exUsagiCoalMiner » Mon Jul 23, 2012 3:18 pm

:clap: Extremely good on your daughter. I also hope that's the end of it, though it may just be the end of it in "public view"...
Good luck to getting it 100% resolved ABs! :thumbsup:

katamari
Eikaiwa Hero
Eikaiwa Hero

Unread post by katamari » Mon Aug 06, 2012 2:33 pm

i was bullied as a kid cos i was fat, specky, clever and shite at football. now im a 6 foot tall whippet with a testicle homing missile for a left foot and a 3 week old daughter. if she gets any snash in the years to come, ill be using the celebrated "ABs Manouvere.(sic)"
How do I get out of this chickenshit outfit?

allblacks

Unread post by allblacks » Mon Sep 10, 2012 3:06 pm

The cops just stopped a car right outside my office that was on-the-run apparently. No less than 6 cop cars. Some coming the wrong way up one way streets! Excitement!

Hard to see but theres a black Honda Fit on the pavement. Got stopped. Apparently was running wild or something!

Info just in: It was drug related.
Attachments
chaser.jpg

sirwanksalot
Masturbateur
Masturbateur

Unread post by sirwanksalot » Mon Sep 10, 2012 7:47 pm

Good reporting!

Shawn
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: At Mitch & Murray, holding on to the good leads and preparing sets of steak knives

Unread post by Shawn » Mon Jul 13, 2015 6:49 am

Thought this might belong here. A little red meat for everyone.
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/07/12/magaz ... .html?_r=0

The very first sentence is, "I’ve been living in Japan for two years, and I pretty much know all the rules."

It gets better. :haha:

wilde_oscar
9 miles of bad road
9 miles of bad road

Unread post by wilde_oscar » Mon Jul 13, 2015 1:26 pm

Good find!

Sounds like 'Our Sarah' could be another Amy Chavez waiting to happen.
Never try to teach a pig to sing - it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

MonkeyMagic
Hopeless Drone
Hopeless Drone

Unread post by MonkeyMagic » Mon Jul 13, 2015 1:34 pm

‘‘You stole it?’’ he asked.

‘‘No,’’ I said. ‘‘I found it. (I was drunk at the time) I didn’t know it belonged to someone else. I thought it had been left there on purpose.’’

She forgot to say the all important get-out clause.
"In the worlds before Monkey, primal chaos reigned."

scanman
Enthusiastic Newbie
Enthusiastic Newbie

Unread post by scanman » Mon Jul 13, 2015 2:06 pm

Unusual story. She didn't actually write saying the bike she took was in 'a pile of other bikes.' She could have explained that to the police. Hmm?

RalphWiggum
LJ Oracle
LJ Oracle

Unread post by RalphWiggum » Mon Jul 13, 2015 4:48 pm

Jesus fucking Christ. She steals an obviously not-abandoned bike and claims it's OK because someone told her it's OK. In the UK if that happened she'd be in court and looking at a criminal record, and rightly so.
Shit wank bollocks

AsahiSupaSpy
Eikaiwa Hero
Eikaiwa Hero

Unread post by AsahiSupaSpy » Wed Jul 15, 2015 10:18 am

scanman wrote:Unusual story. She didn't actually write saying the bike she took was in 'a pile of other bikes.' She could have explained that to the police. Hmm?
That shouldn't matter though. It's still not hers to take.

I'll admit to taking a bike once or twice when I had just arrived in Japan and was going home after a bender. Always an old, seemingly abandoned one which I would return the next day or whatever. Then one day I went to Jusco and spent about 5000yen for my very own sparkling new bike which I still ride today.
Do NOT arrest this man.

scanman
Enthusiastic Newbie
Enthusiastic Newbie

Unread post by scanman » Thu Jul 16, 2015 11:11 am

Yes, I understand. But, she could have expalined to the police that she thought that bikes piled up outside a railway station were abandoned.

AsahiSupaSpy
Eikaiwa Hero
Eikaiwa Hero

Unread post by AsahiSupaSpy » Thu Jul 16, 2015 11:25 am

scanman wrote:Yes, I understand. But, she could have expalined to the police that she thought that bikes piled up outside a railway station were abandoned.
Playing the ignorant foreigner card? A useful tool, if you can stomach it. Not sure if the pigs would accept the amorality argument though.
Do NOT arrest this man.

scanman
Enthusiastic Newbie
Enthusiastic Newbie

Unread post by scanman » Fri Jul 17, 2015 11:05 am

I spoke to a Japanese person about it, and he said that if the person was Japanese she would have been let go with a caution.

allblacks

Unread post by allblacks » Thu Oct 06, 2016 1:56 pm

"SAITAMA —
Saitama prefectural police have arrested a 30-year-old police officer on suspicion of stealing 50,000 yen from the home of a 78-year-old woman whose home he was at in response to an emergency call."

Source: Japan today. Link later...

Holy shit. What a genius. As if she wouldn't notice.