Moving advice wanted.

For topics not directly related to eikaiwa.
Forum rules
The basic forum rules are here :wink: . Refer to the BBCode Guide for information on using BBCode tags, plus this post about additional tags for embedding video.
sirwanksalot
Masturbateur
Masturbateur

Moving advice wanted.

Unread post by sirwanksalot » Sat Apr 15, 2017 10:40 pm

I'm moving again but this time it's just in town to a better place. Currently i'm in an apaato with a wood frame and hollow walls and a bad water hammer in the pipes. I can hear almost everything the neighbors do except for tv and talking. Footsteps and doors shutting. It was not a problem though until new people moved in next door. They are door slamming night owl cunts. Anyway I'm considering two places.

#1 is a mansion style place with thick looks to have 30 cm concrete walls between units. it is on the second floor of four. Is that thick enough to ensure a good night's rest? I know it depends but that's all I have to go on. It's close to the beach but far from the station. comes with 2 parking

#2 is an old house built in the showa jidai. It's a 6 LDK but I have to rent parking elsewhere. The to be landlord has secured one about two blocks away. Seems to be in a quiet neighborhood and it's close to the main station. Pets are OK and so is remodeling the place. It's old and worn out. Someone has already remodeled the kitchen so at least thats nice. There are probably rats and ghosts so I'll have to get a cat to keep me company. Other houses are jammed up right against it.

I like both and see advantages and disadvantages of both. 1 is clean and spacious and close to the beach but I've never lived in a concrete building so I don't know what to expect as far as noise. #2 could be a good hobby house for me. I've never remodeled before but have some half assed construction experience and all of the tools needed to get a job done. I'd love to have a pet to keep me company too.

Shawn
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: At Mitch & Murray, holding on to the good leads and preparing sets of steak knives

Re: Moving advice wanted.

Unread post by Shawn » Sun Apr 16, 2017 8:46 am

What do you value? Being close to the station or close to the beach?
In my experience:
1) In a concrete mansion, you probably won't hear your neighbors next to you, but you probably will hear the pitter patter of feet above you.
2) The old house sounds spacious, but if it's some old showa job, then you'll have to deal with draftiness (cold in the winter, damp in the summer), plus critters. If you are allowed to renovate, why not go for it? Sounds like a great hobby to work on!

BergKatse
Hopeless Drone
Hopeless Drone

Unread post by BergKatse » Sun Apr 16, 2017 11:01 am

As someone who values silence *highly*, and who has lived in a Showa-built house and a Heise-built manshon before, I think the manshon will make your life easier.

Even though those old houses might be stand-alone structures, the lack of noise insulation means are just as noisy as an apaato. And, as Shawn says, they are seriously cold.

With the manshon, you have a better chance of solving your noise problem; with the house, you have a higher likelihood of taking on multiple new irritants.

senseiman
9 miles of bad road
9 miles of bad road

Unread post by senseiman » Mon Apr 17, 2017 1:03 pm

My thoughts on each:

1. I lived in a concrete mansion for 4 years and never had noise problems. Our neighbor had a dog that barked a lot but the only time we could hear it was when it was outside on the balcony, the concrete walls shut out the noise when it was inside. So they are good from that perspective.

2. Houses are cool, but like Shawn said a Showa era place is going to be cold in the winter, damp in the summer. Especially if it is 6LDK you are probably going to have pretty high energy bills. Remodelling is cool, but makes more sense if you buy the place rather than rent it, otherwise you are just doing the landlord's work for them for free. Come to think of it, given that Showa era houses can be bought so cheap they are almost giving them away (unless the place is in downtown Tokyo), why not look into buying one rather than renting? If you can get a bank loan then your monthly payments on it are certain to be way cheaper than what you would pay in rent, and that way your renovations will be on something that you own (making it way more fun).
祇園精舎の鐘の聲、諸行無常の響あり。娑羅雙樹の花の色、盛者必衰のことわりをあらはす。おごれる人も久しからず、唯春の夜の夢のごとし。たけき者も遂にほろびぬ、偏に風の前の塵に同じ。

sirwanksalot
Masturbateur
Masturbateur

Unread post by sirwanksalot » Sun Apr 23, 2017 11:05 am

Thanks for the replies guys. I've decided on the mansion. The DIY house would be fun and all but as senseiman mentioned I don't think I could live with doing the landlord's work for free and the cost of supplies out of my own pocket. We'll see how this goes but I am going to convert one room into a dedicated classroom.