Good Japanese Films

Talk about TV, film, games, hobbies, music, and fun things found on the internet here.
Forum rules
The basic forum rules are here :wink:. Refer to the BBCode Guide for information on using BBCode tags, plus this post about additional tags for embedding video.

Good Japanese Films

Unread postby Touchstone » Wed Jan 05, 2011 7:22 am

I'm feeling a bit nostalgic for Japan so I wondered if you cultured beasts could recommend some good films to watch. Any genre fine as long as no member of SMAP is in it!
"There is in every village a torch - the teacher; and an extinguisher - the clergyman"

Victor Hugo
Touchstone
Hopeless Drone
Hopeless Drone

Re: Good Japanese Films

Unread postby allblacks » Wed Jan 05, 2011 10:41 am

"A taxing woman" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Taxing_Woman)

Anything Itami Juzo!
"So the clutch is called a clutch and the accelerator is called something stupid?" Holly interrupted, "Why didn't they just call the clutch a squeezer?"

http://27bslash6.com/arguments.html
allblacks
Drop Kick Artist
Drop Kick Artist

Unread postby Are they the lemmings? » Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:02 am

allblacks wrote:"A taxing woman" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Taxing_Woman)

Anything Itami Juzo!

Those movies he made with his wife, Nobuko Miyamoto, in the lead role were all pretty good. マルサの女 (A Taxing Woman) is good, as ABs mentions above, and so are タンポポ, スーパーの女 and マルタイの女.
Ahead! Groove factor five! Yeah!
Are they the lemmings?
Eikaiwa Hero
Eikaiwa Hero

Unread postby SamhainP8 » Wed Jan 05, 2011 7:01 pm

G.I. Samurai :rotfl:
"Do you know how a falcon is trained, my dear? Her eyes are sewn shut. Blinded temporarily, she suffers the whims of her God patiently, until her will is submerged and she learns to serve - as your God taught and blinded you with crosses."
SamhainP8
Dronus japonica
Dronus japonica

Unread postby Are they the lemmings? » Wed Jan 05, 2011 10:13 pm

Touchstone wrote:I'm feeling a bit nostalgic for Japan so I wondered if you cultured beasts could recommend some good films to watch. Any genre fine as long as no member of SMAP is in it!

Oh, hey! Do they have to be Japanese films? Can they be the Japanese overdubs of non-Japanese TV programmes? Because the Japanese overdubs of Sledge Hammer! are hilarious. Whoever did them is a very funny person. They've obviously decided that it's impossible to translate the jokes into Japanese and still be funny, so they've made up their own jokes to fit.

Recommended.
Ahead! Groove factor five! Yeah!
Are they the lemmings?
Eikaiwa Hero
Eikaiwa Hero

Unread postby RalphWiggum » Thu Jan 06, 2011 1:10 am

Dare mo shiranai was amazing but hard work due to the subject matter. Definitely in my all-time top ten films.

Okuribito was really enjoyable.
Shit wank bollocks
RalphWiggum
LJ Oracle
LJ Oracle

Unread postby Touchstone » Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:48 am

Thanks for all the suggestions. Going on to Amazon to order a few of them. If you have anymore suggestions, keep 'em coming please.
"There is in every village a torch - the teacher; and an extinguisher - the clergyman"

Victor Hugo
Touchstone
Hopeless Drone
Hopeless Drone

Unread postby allblacks » Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:09 am

Ive only seen a bit of it but SWALLOWTAIL BUTTERFLY is pretty good too. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swallowtai ... rfly_(film)

Swallowtail Butterfly takes place in an alternate Japan, in a ghetto where immigrants from all over the world have come to live and make their fortune. The city is called Yentown, and it is much like Tokyo. Sixteen-year-old Ageha (Ito), a young girl whose mother has just died, is passed on from person to person until a prostitute named Glico (Chara) finally takes pity on her.
Under Glico's care, Ageha has many experiences with the other poverty-stricken immigrants in Yentown. Eventually, due to a sudden twist in fate, the immigrants are given a chance to realize their dreams. But in doing so, they destroy their solidarity, and have to face their problems separately.
"So the clutch is called a clutch and the accelerator is called something stupid?" Holly interrupted, "Why didn't they just call the clutch a squeezer?"

http://27bslash6.com/arguments.html
allblacks
Drop Kick Artist
Drop Kick Artist

Unread postby Tall Tall Tree » Sat Jan 08, 2011 4:21 pm

The last J-movie I saw which I dug was Rashomon, a Kurosawa flick about a murder which takes place in the woods, for which all the witnesses give very different accounts.

Before that, I saw The Great Happiness Space, a disturbingly fascinating documentary about host club workers in Osaka.

If you like downtempo, slightly surreal stuff, check out The Taste of Tea, Party 7, or just about anything else directed by Katsuhito Ishii.
Tall Tall Tree
Cassandra
Cassandra

Unread postby Touchstone » Sun Jan 09, 2011 6:45 am

RalphWiggum wrote:Okuribito was really enjoyable.

Watched this last night. Really beautifully acted. Had me welling up a few times.

Victor Hugo
Touchstone
Hopeless Drone
Hopeless Drone

Unread postby Examination_Hell » Fri Apr 15, 2011 12:41 am

...bump

ラジオの時間 Rajio no Jikan or Welcome Back, Mr.McDonald had me in tears first time I saw it.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Welcome_Back,_Mr._McDonald

The Japanese R2 DVD has english subtitles on it.

Cheers,
Wake up, school, club activities, piano lessons, juku, nova, english school, challenge school, homework, sleep, wake up, school...
Examination_Hell
Eikaiwa Hero
Eikaiwa Hero

Return to Entertainment