Music that floats your boat.

Talk about TV, film, games, hobbies, music, and fun things found on the internet here.
Forum rules
The basic forum rules are here :wink:. Refer to the BBCode Guide for information on using BBCode tags, plus this post about additional tags for embedding video.
SamhainP8
Dronus japonica
Dronus japonica

Music that floats your boat.

Unread post by SamhainP8 » Sun Aug 08, 2010 6:50 am

I’ve never liked falsetto in metal music (or otherwise) and would go so far as to say that back in the day I despised Judas Priest and any swinging dick in a Judas Priest T-shirt etc.

I had my iPod on shuffle a couple of weeks back though and a song caught my ear and on closer inspection it turned out to be King Diamond’s The Puppet Master.

I don’t even know where I got the MP3 from but I did a bit of clickety clicking and purchased King Diamond’s Abigail and Abigail II and despite serious lashings of falsetto used this shit rocks!

I’m a bit late in discovering King Diamond (and Merciful Fate) and sure it's cheesy and more than a little corny but it floats my boat big time ATM.
"Do you know how a falcon is trained, my dear? Her eyes are sewn shut. Blinded temporarily, she suffers the whims of her God patiently, until her will is submerged and she learns to serve - as your God taught and blinded you with crosses."

SamhainP8
Dronus japonica
Dronus japonica

Re: Music that floats your boat.

Unread post by SamhainP8 » Tue Aug 10, 2010 5:12 am

Getting old is weird aye. I’ve hated olives all my life and now I can’t get enough of them and it seems that instead of developing an ear for jazz or classical music, I’ve developed an ear for 80’s power metal….

I’ve been caught out several times in the last week with my left hand held high in a backwards facing claw squeaking out “Oh, Deadly Omens” in my terrible attempt at falsetto metal….. :oops:

"Do you know how a falcon is trained, my dear? Her eyes are sewn shut. Blinded temporarily, she suffers the whims of her God patiently, until her will is submerged and she learns to serve - as your God taught and blinded you with crosses."

Examination_Hell
Eikaiwa Hero
Eikaiwa Hero

Unread post by Examination_Hell » Tue Aug 17, 2010 1:05 am

I quite like the King Diamond concept albums Them and the sequel Conspiracy.

Wake up, school, club activities, piano lessons, juku, [s]nova,[/s] english school, challenge school, homework, sleep, wake up, school...

SamhainP8
Dronus japonica
Dronus japonica

Unread post by SamhainP8 » Wed Aug 18, 2010 5:44 am

Examination_Hell wrote:I quite like the King Diamond concept albums Them and the sequel Conspiracy.
Yeah they are on my list to get once some ebay money comes through. :thumbsup:

MonkeyMagic
Hopeless Drone
Hopeless Drone

Unread post by MonkeyMagic » Wed Sep 01, 2010 12:17 am

SamhainP8 wrote:it seems that instead of developing an ear for jazz or classical music, I’ve developed an ear for 80’s power metal….
I grew up listening to this sort of stuff:

"In the worlds before Monkey, primal chaos reigned."

SamhainP8
Dronus japonica
Dronus japonica

Unread post by SamhainP8 » Sat Sep 04, 2010 2:00 pm

Examination_Hell wrote:I quite like the King Diamond concept albums Them and the sequel Conspiracy.
Downloading now, can't wait! :clap:
MonkeyMagic wrote:
SamhainP8 wrote:it seems that instead of developing an ear for jazz or classical music, I’ve developed an ear for 80’s power metal….
I grew up listening to this sort of stuff (Saxon).
I saw Saxon at Loud Park 2007 and from what I remember they were very popular with the J-crowd. Can't remember much else about them as all of my energy was going into remembering Satyricon's set, which was hard considering I was crying my eyes out in disappointment and then in pure joy.

I grew up listening to Iron Maiden, Slayer, D.R.I. and Samhain, I reckon I wouldn't have given old mate King Diamond a look in if I'd heard him back in the day but he gets me that hard I could pop fleas with it at the moment. :bye:

MonkeyMagic
Hopeless Drone
Hopeless Drone

Unread post by MonkeyMagic » Sat Sep 04, 2010 11:28 pm

SamhainP8 wrote:I grew up listening to Iron Maiden
Up the irons! Killers and The Number of the Beast are classic albums.

SamhainP8
Dronus japonica
Dronus japonica

Unread post by SamhainP8 » Sun Sep 05, 2010 8:37 am

MonkeyMagic wrote:
Yep, and after taking the wife to see them in Japan for the 'A Matter of Life and Death Tour' and in Aus for the 'Somewhere Back in Time Tour' she's right into them too :clap:

Are they the lemmings?
Eikaiwa Hero
Eikaiwa Hero

Unread post by Are they the lemmings? » Wed Sep 08, 2010 2:49 pm

SamhainP8 wrote:
MonkeyMagic wrote:
Yep, and after taking the wife to see them in Japan for the 'A Matter of Life and Death Tour' and in Aus for the 'Somewhere Back in Time Tour' she's right into them too :clap:
Mrs. Lemmings doesn't like Iron Maiden per se; she likes my terrible impersonation of Bruce Dickinson singing the "Six! Six six! The number of the beast" refrain. Trouble is, I only ever do it when I see that number somewhere, a number plate or something. So it's usually, "Six! Six six! The number of the Prius!" or the like. Oh well...

♪ Bring yer daughter, bring yer daughter, to the slauuuuuughter. Let her go, let her go, let her go! ♪
Ahead! Groove factor five! Yeah!

SamhainP8
Dronus japonica
Dronus japonica

Unread post by SamhainP8 » Wed Sep 08, 2010 4:32 pm

Are they the lemmings? wrote:Mrs. Lemmings doesn't like Iron Maiden per se; she likes my terrible impersonation of Bruce Dickinson singing the "Six! Six six! The number of the beast" refrain. Trouble is, I only ever do it when I see that number somewhere, a number plate or something. So it's usually, "Six! Six six! The number of the Prius!" or the like. Oh well...

♪ Bring yer daughter, bring yer daughter, to the slauuuuuughter. Let her go, let her go, let her go! ♪
:rotfl: My wife likes Iron Maiden because it's about the only band that I listen to that she can understand any of the lyrics. :eyes:

Are they the lemmings?
Eikaiwa Hero
Eikaiwa Hero

Unread post by Are they the lemmings? » Wed Sep 08, 2010 5:48 pm

The weird thing is, I've never been a fan of metal, but Iron Maiden are an occasional exception. Any band with a member who pilots large passenger aircraft for pocket money is pretty cool in my book.

Examination_Hell
Eikaiwa Hero
Eikaiwa Hero

Unread post by Examination_Hell » Wed Sep 29, 2010 12:45 am

I've recently been listening to Jeff Wayne's Musical Version of The War of the Worlds, it's surprisingly good.

Wake up, school, club activities, piano lessons, juku, [s]nova,[/s] english school, challenge school, homework, sleep, wake up, school...

SamhainP8
Dronus japonica
Dronus japonica

Unread post by SamhainP8 » Fri Oct 01, 2010 7:39 pm

Examination_Hell wrote:I've recently been listening to Jeff Wayne's Musical Version of The War of the Worlds, it's surprisingly good.
:clap: Yep that's awesome!

MonkeyMagic
Hopeless Drone
Hopeless Drone

Unread post by MonkeyMagic » Sun Oct 03, 2010 10:38 pm

Examination_Hell wrote:I've recently been listening to Jeff Wayne's Musical Version of The War of the Worlds, it's surprisingly good.
I first heard that at night whilst on a Summer Camp in Primary School. It scared the bejesus out of me! :jaw:
But I agree, it`s a great take on the original.

And keeping with the thread, I`ve been enjoying this Canadian retro seventies band called Black Mountain.

Shawn
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: At Mitch & Murray, holding on to the good leads and preparing sets of steak knives

Unread post by Shawn » Fri Oct 08, 2010 10:02 am

Johnny Cash. Love that boom-chick-a boom sound. :clap:

/I shot a man in Reno just to watch him die.

allblacks

Unread post by allblacks » Fri Oct 08, 2010 10:28 am

Say what you will. I like this a lot!

Are they the lemmings?
Eikaiwa Hero
Eikaiwa Hero

Unread post by Are they the lemmings? » Fri Oct 08, 2010 10:40 am

Shawn wrote:Johnny Cash. Love that boom-chick-a boom sound. :clap:

/I shot a man in Reno just to watch him die.
:agree: Johnny Cash was great. I even liked the American Recordings series he did later in his career; interesting takes in songs like Nick Cave's Mercy Seat, Soundgarden's Rusty Cage, etc.

sambo-
Eikaiwa Hero
Eikaiwa Hero

Unread post by sambo- » Sat Oct 09, 2010 4:06 am

Never gets old for me

The idle man does not know what it is to enjoy rest, for he has not earned it

RalphWiggum
LJ Oracle
LJ Oracle

Unread post by RalphWiggum » Sat Oct 09, 2010 4:23 am

sambo- wrote:Never gets old for me

She Smells Sanitary - haven't heard that since my indie disco days in the early 90s. Had no idea they looked so camp!
Shit wank bollocks

sambo-
Eikaiwa Hero
Eikaiwa Hero

Unread post by sambo- » Sat Oct 09, 2010 6:37 pm

RalphWiggum wrote: She Smells Sanitary - haven't heard that since my indie disco days in the early 90s. Had no idea they looked so camp!
Super camp indeed. Always enjoyed the music though!
Langslave wrote:Hmmm, never could handle The Cult meself. Always thought them to be too posey and wannabe, especially the singer. Didnt like his voice either. Give me Motorhead and Lemmy anyday.
Big Motorhead fan here. 999 emergency, bomber, ace of spades and my favorite pick of the bunch...........

Are they the lemmings?
Eikaiwa Hero
Eikaiwa Hero

Unread post by Are they the lemmings? » Mon Oct 11, 2010 12:05 am

sambo- wrote:ace of spades
Neil: We've been picked, right, to go on University Challenge tonight!
Vyvyan: To the station!
Mike: Music!

Are they the lemmings?
Eikaiwa Hero
Eikaiwa Hero

Unread post by Are they the lemmings? » Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:51 am

I just read that Solomon Burke died. Man, that's sad. Now there's someone whose music really floats my boat - one of the great (but undervalued) soul singers. Most of his famous songs were made famous by other people covering them, perhaps the best-known being Everybody Needs Somebody ("I need you, you you..")

sambo-
Eikaiwa Hero
Eikaiwa Hero

Unread post by sambo- » Sat Oct 30, 2010 2:15 pm

SamhainP8
Dronus japonica
Dronus japonica

Unread post by SamhainP8 » Sat May 28, 2011 7:06 pm

Some chick plucking out my all-time favourite song in the whole entire universe, Mother North.

Consider my boat floated twice over!!!

allblacks

Unread post by allblacks » Sat May 28, 2011 8:58 pm

A lot of people say that Cliff Burton was one of the best bassists ever. Watching him playing this makes me think they are right.

Are they the lemmings?
Eikaiwa Hero
Eikaiwa Hero

Unread post by Are they the lemmings? » Thu Jun 09, 2011 5:31 pm

Not strictly music, but related. This from Uncyclopedia about the magnificent hair of Brian May from Queen:
Brian's hair is a grade A listed structure with its own dedicated maintenance team. [...] The team work from the bottom left of "Rock God Hair" over the top finally completing at the bottom of the right side. Such is the size of the bonce, it takes engineers over two years to condition every strand. Once completed, the task is immediately started again from the left side.

From June to September of 1979, May's power-fro went on a rampage in Dublin. Several salons and wig-makers were taken out in the first couple of months. [...] Unfortunately, our future hairy overlord was defeated at the Second Battle of Pantene. [...] After a three-day fight, Brian agreed to go back to playing guitar and stop trying to exterminate the Irish. Renovators in Ireland still find curly hair in water or wall cracks.

A Costa Coffee was built into the hair structure next to Brian's left ear-lobe for use by the workers and hair-tourists. [...]

Due to the enormous size of Brian's hair, it has collapsed many times, on some occasions killing members of the audience. This problem was fixed recently by applying Brill cream, which reinforces the hair's strength. [...]

Some say the notes to his guitar solo's just randomly drop out of his hair. No-one knows how or why, but damn thats awesome!
:rotfl:

SamhainP8
Dronus japonica
Dronus japonica

Unread post by SamhainP8 » Thu Aug 25, 2011 1:45 pm

Just had a blast from the past with my iPlod on shuffle. :clap:

The Clowns of Decadence are the most entertaining live band I've ever seen.

SamhainP8
Dronus japonica
Dronus japonica

Unread post by SamhainP8 » Tue Sep 27, 2011 10:20 am

I like that as I get older I’m more open to music that I once thought was crap, like this:

Back in the day I thought Gorgoroth was stupid satanic crap and now while the severed heads and what not still do nothing for me, the relentless brutal noise and screaming tickles me in all my special places. Not to mention that rediscovering old stuff saves me a packet on itunes. :clap:

Get that up ya Kei! :lol:

allblacks

Unread post by allblacks » Tue Sep 27, 2011 11:53 am

Oh yeah?

I thought this was great when it came out. Still is!

SamhainP8
Dronus japonica
Dronus japonica

Unread post by SamhainP8 » Tue Sep 27, 2011 12:05 pm

Hah I've gone the opposite way with Pantera! I loved them back in the day but think I overdosed (like Phil!) and now usually skip them on the iPlod. Still think Dimebag rules on the axe (RIP) though and never skip Cemetary Gates. :clap: