Decent tv

Talk about TV, film, games, hobbies, music, and fun things found on the internet here.
Forum rules
The basic forum rules are here :wink:. Refer to the BBCode Guide for information on using BBCode tags, plus this post about additional tags for embedding video.

Re: Decent tv

Unread postby AsahiSupaSpy » Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:27 am

MacGyver wrote:I must look it up on wikipedia then. Yeah the UK (original) was easily better than the US version. I thought the UK version was closer to reality TV/doco style than the US version. Seems to me the US version is more dramatic and made to be that way. And IMHO no need for it. Just shits me off.

Agree 100% The original UK Nightmares was kind of a special interest show, with entertainment in the form of Ramsey running around being a cnut, and a bit of the old 'haha, I could do a better job than that loser' feel-better-about-yourself appeal to attract an audience beyond only people in the restaurant business. The US version was OK at first but now is 95% relationships between family members and sob-story bullshit, 5% food and running a successful restaurant.

Oh, I have been watching The Newsroom. The characters are annoying sometimes but the story line is pretty cool so far. A news station reporting the news with (supposedly) no bias and so-on. (Just the facts, ma-am)
Do NOT arrest this man.
AsahiSupaSpy
Eikaiwa Lifer
Eikaiwa Lifer

This ends the way you would expect

Unread postby In The Know » Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:38 am

This is from today's CNN. Sometimes even a well-placed WTF?! doesn't adequately describe some people's stupidity. I don't care if she is crippled. She deserved the tumble she got. As gorgeous Robin Meade notes at the end of the video, "There was an elevator nearby." :rope:

http://www.cnn.com/video/?hpt=hp_c2#/video/us/2012/07/18/sotvo-hln-ma-scooter-escalator.cnn
You can fix almost anything, but you can't fix stupid. Stupid is forever.
In The Know
Cassandra
Cassandra

Unread postby SamhainP8 » Sat Jul 21, 2012 6:06 pm

If you are a "Game of Thrones" fan there is a series called "Thronecast" with interviews and stuff that can be found on Youtube (if you didn't already know about it).

Youtube link: Thronecast.
"Do you know how a falcon is trained, my dear? Her eyes are sewn shut. Blinded temporarily, she suffers the whims of her God patiently, until her will is submerged and she learns to serve - as your God taught and blinded you with crosses."
SamhainP8
Dronus japonica
Dronus japonica

Unread postby SamhainP8 » Sun Jul 22, 2012 12:44 pm

Oh man don't bother, the host is an uber douchebag.
"Do you know how a falcon is trained, my dear? Her eyes are sewn shut. Blinded temporarily, she suffers the whims of her God patiently, until her will is submerged and she learns to serve - as your God taught and blinded you with crosses."
SamhainP8
Dronus japonica
Dronus japonica

Unread postby SamhainP8 » Sun Aug 12, 2012 5:57 pm

exUsagiCoalMiner wrote:
lordCONAN wrote:Don't know if anyone has mentioned this yet, but I'm enjoying Falling Skies. Nothing like a bit of the good ol' human resistance fighting invading aliens.

I watched the first few. Not too bad. Just wish they had a slightly larger sfx budget...

Started watching this recently.
The first season was 80% human drama and 20% Sci-fi and action which was just enough to keep me watching.

I'm a few episodes into the second season and am pleasantly surprised to find that so far it's been 80% Sci-fi and action and 20% human drama. I'm burning through the episodes now. :clap:

Season 5 of Breaking Bad has been fairly good so far, although I'm hoping to date it's been the calm before the storm. High expectations.

Another great season of the latest Deadliest Catch recently done and dusted.

Wife and I have also started burning through seasons of Dexter when the kids are asleep. Great show!
SamhainP8
Dronus japonica
Dronus japonica

Unread postby allblacks » Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:59 am

What about Fear Fucktor?

It's back and CRAZY! Crazy! LOL!

If I want to space out and listen to some American trash etc this is the show for me. HAHAHA!
"So the clutch is called a clutch and the accelerator is called something stupid?" Holly interrupted, "Why didn't they just call the clutch a squeezer?"

http://27bslash6.com/arguments.html
allblacks
Drop Kick Artist
Drop Kick Artist

Unread postby SamhainP8 » Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:30 am

For my American trash fix I watch Cops.
SamhainP8
Dronus japonica
Dronus japonica

Unread postby allblacks » Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:43 am

Yes. That one does the job too.
"So the clutch is called a clutch and the accelerator is called something stupid?" Holly interrupted, "Why didn't they just call the clutch a squeezer?"

allblacks
Drop Kick Artist
Drop Kick Artist

Unread postby steki47 » Mon Aug 13, 2012 12:15 pm

SamhainP8 wrote:For my American trash fix I watch Cops.

If you're not a misanthrope beforehand, prolonged viewing of that show will turn you into one.
steki47
Cassandra
Cassandra

Unread postby SamhainP8 » Mon Aug 13, 2012 1:10 pm

steki47 wrote:

If you're not a misanthrope beforehand, prolonged viewing of that show will turn you into one.

As it's mostly so far out from what I've ever witnessed, I laugh my arse off. I can imagine it'd be a different story for folks with first hand experience of such shit though.
SamhainP8
Dronus japonica
Dronus japonica

Unread postby steki47 » Mon Aug 13, 2012 3:18 pm

SamhainP8 wrote:
steki47 wrote:

As it's mostly so far out from what I've ever witnessed, I laugh my arse off. I can imagine it'd be a different story for folks with first hand experience of such shit though.

When I worked at an ER in San Francisco, I made a point of NOT watching such things.

Now that I live in Japan, Cops makes me appreciate being here.
steki47
Cassandra
Cassandra

Unread postby MacGyver » Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:33 am

SamhainP8 wrote:Season 5 of Breaking Bad has been fairly good so far, although I'm hoping to date it's been the calm before the storm. High expectations.

Only watched the first episode so far myself so don't know whether its slow or not yet but did you notice its only 8 episodes for this (final) season? So they don't have too many episodes to get to the point and wrap it up! I hope they don't do what some shows do, which is go so slow leading up to the finale that they don't give themselves time to actually wrap it up properly so you end up with a half-assed ending that mostly doesn't make sense....
"Yous guys talk a lotta shit. I'm much more smarter than all a yous." - Samurai Jerk after being owned by the Let's Japan crew.
MacGyver
Shockproof shit detector
Shockproof shit detector

Unread postby allblacks » Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:27 am

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Breaking_Bad

Nah. Theres 16 episodes in season 5. Without revealing too much I think the current human drama side of it is pretty good.

allblacks
Drop Kick Artist
Drop Kick Artist

Unread postby MacGyver » Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:31 am

Ah, the 2-part bizzo threw me. I only saw 8 listed so thought that was it. But 2 parts over 2 years is lame. I have enough trouble remembering what happened in the previous season let alone splitting one season over 2 years!
"Yous guys talk a lotta shit. I'm much more smarter than all a yous." - Samurai Jerk after being owned by the Let's Japan crew.
MacGyver
Shockproof shit detector
Shockproof shit detector

Unread postby allblacks » Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:38 am

Yeah it sucks. Especially for hardcore fans like myself and a mate. But so be it.

allblacks
Drop Kick Artist
Drop Kick Artist

Unread postby steki47 » Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:48 pm

SamhainP8 wrote:Wife and I have also started burning through seasons of Dexter when the kids are asleep. Great show!

I'm a huge fan of Dexter. Awesome story. What season are you up to? I am curious how they will continue after the last finale. (No, I won't reveal any secrets.)
steki47
Cassandra
Cassandra

Unread postby SamhainP8 » Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:04 pm

steki47 wrote:
SamhainP8 wrote:Wife and I have also started burning through seasons of Dexter when the kids are asleep. Great show!

I'm a huge fan of Dexter. Awesome story. What season are you up to? I am curious how they will continue after the last finale. (No, I won't reveal any secrets.)

Only about halfway through season 2.
Last finale being season 7?
I think I read somewhere that season 8 will be the last.
SamhainP8
Dronus japonica
Dronus japonica

Unread postby SamhainP8 » Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:09 pm

MacGyver wrote:Ah, the 2-part bizzo threw me. I only saw 8 listed so thought that was it. But 2 parts over 2 years is lame. I have enough trouble remembering what happened in the previous season let alone splitting one season over 2 years!

Yeah it sucks and it's obvious money grubbing but I'll take that over a premature cancellation (V, Sarrah Connor, Deadwood etc...) or a dragged out into stupidity (Heroes etc.).
SamhainP8
Dronus japonica
Dronus japonica

Unread postby steki47 » Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:06 am

SamhainP8 wrote:
steki47 wrote:

Only about halfway through season 2.
Last finale being season 7?
I think I read somewhere that season 8 will be the last.

Yeah, season 8 will finish the story. Season 6 was the most recent. The finale had a great cliffhanger that guaranteed I would keep watching.

In many ways, I thought the second season was one of the strongest in terms of character development and plot.
steki47
Cassandra
Cassandra

Unread postby MacGyver » Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:00 am

SamhainP8 wrote:Yeah it sucks and it's obvious money grubbing but I'll take that over a premature cancellation (V, Sarrah Connor, Deadwood etc...) or a dragged out into stupidity (Heroes etc.).

Yeah true. I didn't think Sarah Connor was the greatest show but I didn't mind it. Was disappointing how it got cut just as it started to get interesting again (sort of waned during season 2 before ramping up toward the end of the season).

Actually I'm very tempted, seeing as part 1 is almost over and I've only seen one episode so far, to wait until part 2 is done and dusted and watch them in a reasonable space of time rather than a year apart!
MacGyver
Shockproof shit detector
Shockproof shit detector

Unread postby allblacks » Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:09 am

The Killing and Alcatraz both cut. Disappointed!

allblacks
Drop Kick Artist
Drop Kick Artist

Unread postby MacGyver » Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:22 am

allblacks wrote:The Killing and Alcatraz both cut. Disappointed!

Haven't seen Season 2 of The Killing yet so not sure if it is a good thing or not (although the ending to Season 1 was lame) but been watching Alcatraz Season 1 and it doesn't surprise me. The stroy is pretty lame really. Watched it cause I have it and it was OK and in fact I got 6 or 7 episodes in and stopped (got busy I guess) and that was a few weeks ago and total forgot about it. Same thing happened with 24 Season 1. I guess I'm not that interested in it after all....
MacGyver
Shockproof shit detector
Shockproof shit detector

Unread postby allblacks » Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:49 am

I liked both of those shows. Alcatraz was cool cos of the fat guy and Sam Neill. And The Killing had some good moments but I will admit lame in parts.

allblacks
Drop Kick Artist
Drop Kick Artist

Unread postby MacGyver » Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:54 am

allblacks wrote:I liked both of those shows. Alcatraz was cool cos of the fat guy and Sam Neill. And The Killing had some good moments but I will admit lame in parts.

Season 1 of The Killing was good until the finale. Looking forward to watching Season 2 when I get time...
MacGyver
Shockproof shit detector
Shockproof shit detector

Unread postby In The Know » Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:07 pm

:thumbsup: A weakness of mine too if I stumble upon it while channel surfing. On the one hand you hope these dolts aren't reproducing. On the other hand, you know they are! :?

If you could find some Trailer Park Boys (Canada sit-com show) you might get some chuckles too.
You can fix almost anything, but you can't fix stupid. Stupid is forever.
In The Know
Cassandra
Cassandra

Unread postby SamhainP8 » Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:11 am

In The Know wrote:If you could find some Trailer Park Boys (Canada sit-com show) you might get some chuckles too.

:agree:
I watch every season about once a year, pure gold :thumbsup:
SamhainP8
Dronus japonica
Dronus japonica

Unread postby MacGyver » Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:45 am

SamhainP8 wrote:
In The Know wrote:If you could find some Trailer Park Boys (Canada sit-com show) you might get some chuckles too.

:agree:
I watch every season about once a year, pure gold :thumbsup:

Pity it finished but then I spose I'd prolly be whinging that it had gone stale and was past its used by date if it was still on the air....
MacGyver
Shockproof shit detector
Shockproof shit detector

Unread postby steki47 » Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:02 pm

In The Know wrote: If you could find some Trailer Park Boys (Canada sit-com show) you might get some chuckles too.

Thanks for the recommendation. Watching it now!
steki47
Cassandra
Cassandra

Unread postby MacGyver » Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:14 pm

steki47 wrote:Thanks for the recommendation. Watching it now!

Wait til you get to the episode with Conky.... :rotfl:
MacGyver
Shockproof shit detector
Shockproof shit detector

Unread postby AsahiSupaSpy » Thu Aug 16, 2012 6:34 pm

British show by the name of 'Vexed'. Cop comerama (that's comedy and drama)
First series was 3 episodes long.
Do NOT arrest this man.
AsahiSupaSpy
Eikaiwa Lifer
Eikaiwa Lifer

PreviousNext

Return to Entertainment