School results time

A forum for discussing topics not related to eikaiwa or Japan.
Forum rules
The basic forum rules are here :wink: . Refer to the BBCode Guide for information on using BBCode tags, plus this post about additional tags for embedding video.
allblacks

School results time

Unread post by allblacks » Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:15 pm

Anyone else got kids applying for schools this year? My oldest had her entrance exam last week for a public school in Osaka city. Good school with an English program and good reputation.

We have to go in and see the result soon. A good excuse to drive in to Osaka and maybe hit Ikea on the way home.
Results pending of course!

Good luck if your kids applying and congrats if results good. Commiserations if not so lucky.

Any stories? Would like to hear some!

ABs

Shawn
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: At Mitch & Murray, holding on to the good leads and preparing sets of steak knives

Re: School results time

Unread post by Shawn » Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:25 am

My guys are still small and just getting into elementary school. I am amazed at how much time school requires of mom! It's like a job for her, attending this and that, prepping for events, and then dealing with all the other moms.

allblacks

Unread post by allblacks » Fri Mar 17, 2017 1:06 pm

Mine got into a good English major program at an Osaka city run.school. There were a few kids very upset that didn't get in. Feel for them a lot. Especially the ones on their own.

senseiman
9 miles of bad road
9 miles of bad road

Unread post by senseiman » Mon Mar 27, 2017 12:22 pm

We are quite a bit earlier, but mine will be starting kindergarten soon. I have a friend with a kid in Shogako and the PTA Kodomokai is a massive time such according to him...not super looking forward to that.

Anyway, good luck to your daughter, hope she gets in!
祇園精舎の鐘の聲、諸行無常の響あり。娑羅雙樹の花の色、盛者必衰のことわりをあらはす。おごれる人も久しからず、唯春の夜の夢のごとし。たけき者も遂にほろびぬ、偏に風の前の塵に同じ。

Shawn
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: At Mitch & Murray, holding on to the good leads and preparing sets of steak knives

Unread post by Shawn » Mon Mar 27, 2017 2:02 pm

Senseiman,

You have no idea how much of a time suck kindergarten/elementary school will be. Your wife will be saddled with most of the responsibility, but you'll also have to make a cameo or two.

senseiman
9 miles of bad road
9 miles of bad road

Unread post by senseiman » Mon Mar 27, 2017 3:56 pm

I can only imagine!

I just got sucked into the stupid Chonaikai in our area (less than 6 months after moving in and I was appointed Kumicho, so I have to take care of the stupid notice board and garbage stuff) which took up all Saturday afternoon....the prospect of more useless meetings is not appealling.
祇園精舎の鐘の聲、諸行無常の響あり。娑羅雙樹の花の色、盛者必衰のことわりをあらはす。おごれる人も久しからず、唯春の夜の夢のごとし。たけき者も遂にほろびぬ、偏に風の前の塵に同じ。

Shawn
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Shawn » Mon Mar 27, 2017 5:26 pm

senseiman wrote:
Mon Mar 27, 2017 3:56 pm
I can only imagine!

I just got sucked into the stupid Chonaikai in our area (less than 6 months after moving in and I was appointed Kumicho, so I have to take care of the stupid notice board and garbage stuff) which took up all Saturday afternoon....the prospect of more useless meetings is not appealling.
Ba-ha! The same rules apply in my neighbourhood! It's a thankless job, so they let the newbies do it first. I'm done, so according to the list, I won't be the kumicho for another 15 years. :cheers:

senseiman
9 miles of bad road
9 miles of bad road

Unread post by senseiman » Mon Mar 27, 2017 6:19 pm

Shawn wrote:
Mon Mar 27, 2017 5:26 pm
senseiman wrote:
Mon Mar 27, 2017 3:56 pm
I can only imagine!

Ba-ha! The same rules apply in my neighbourhood! It's a thankless job, so they let the newbies do it first. I'm done, so according to the list, I won't be the kumicho for another 15 years. :cheers:
Yes, after this time we won't have to do it again for 19 years....So can't wait!

Edogaijin
Eikaiwa Hero
Eikaiwa Hero

Unread post by Edogaijin » Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:30 pm

I've got my second son on his 4th year of college. He's doing an extra 3 year course with 2 more years to go. Sets me back about ¥130000 a month.
Can't wait till he finishes.

MacGyver
Shockproof shit detector
Shockproof shit detector

Unread post by MacGyver » Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:55 am

Edogaijin wrote:
Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:30 pm
Sets me back about ¥130000 a month.
I don't know how ppl can afford kids. That's a shit tonne of money and you've still got bills to pay for other things and kids!

When the wife and I owned a house in Tokyo, we got out of the whole Kumicho thing because we worked. According to our next-door neighbour, they were going to ask us to do it but didn't cause we both worked and were rarely home so figured we properly couldn't do it even if we wanted to. Easy enough in Tokes with lots of people, especially youngish people, but here in inakaville if we buy a house I can't see how we're gonna get out of it considering most of neighbours will most likely be oldies and with any luck, we won't be in a heavily populated area either. Plus working from home they're prolly gonna think we have all the time in the world. While I'm trying to cut down my work schedule, I don't want to take weekends off just to do that BS...
"Yous guys talk a lotta shit. I'm much more smarter than all a yous." - Samurai Jerk after being owned by the Let's Japan crew.

Edogaijin
Eikaiwa Hero
Eikaiwa Hero

Unread post by Edogaijin » Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:19 pm

He's going on a study trip to L.A in June. Luckily he's told me he'll use all his otoshidama.... he has saved 90% of it all since he was born. He also told me he'll pay me back all the money for college... Not sure if that will pan out...fingers crossed.

MacGyver
Shockproof shit detector
Shockproof shit detector

Unread post by MacGyver » Wed Mar 29, 2017 1:37 pm

Edogaijin wrote:
Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:19 pm
Not sure if that will pan out...fingers crossed.
Wow, that'd be amazing. If parents pay, generally kids don't pay them back! How are your sons English doing by the way? Last time I saw you many years ago, they didn't speak to you in E. Has that changed?
"Yous guys talk a lotta shit. I'm much more smarter than all a yous." - Samurai Jerk after being owned by the Let's Japan crew.

Edogaijin
Eikaiwa Hero
Eikaiwa Hero

Unread post by Edogaijin » Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:00 pm

eldest one's English is ok...youngest one hides it... basically they are more Japanese than Aussie. Eldest always communicates in English only on the phone, youngest in angry adolescent Japanese. They both definitely needed more time in Aus. Eldest one did some summer trips to Aus & Singapore when he was about 10. That made a big difference. 2nd son had no motivation...