The North Korea Question

A forum for discussing topics not related to eikaiwa or Japan.
Forum rules
The basic forum rules are here :wink: . Refer to the BBCode Guide for information on using BBCode tags, plus this post about additional tags for embedding video.
Junken Master
Hopeless Drone
Hopeless Drone

Re: The North Korea Question

Unread post by Junken Master » Tue Jul 04, 2017 10:14 pm

Well they aren't stopping:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-40491138

First time it's been on the front page of the news for a while.

So the Hwasong 14. I'm not an expert on missile technology but is this quite a big step up from their other missiles? Is this the first time they've tested this one?

And why does the Western press only care when NK can hit the western US? What about South Korea and Japan?

So just the usual "please use restraint" comment by China.

T.D.
Eikaiwa Hero
Eikaiwa Hero

Unread post by T.D. » Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:29 am

Several weeks ago the US went on the record saying they stand by and will support Japan 100%, so that's good, but damn, shit's escalating quick with NK. Apparently they are readying an attack on Guam now. Time for China to step in and help get this shit under control. Feel bad for all the N Koreans that could die because of this idiot.

Junken Master
Hopeless Drone
Hopeless Drone

Unread post by Junken Master » Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:34 pm

So yes apparently NK are "getting ready" to fire 4 missiles over Japan into waters 30 to 40km from Guam?

Surely Fat Boy isn't going to try that one, as there would be a guaranteed military response, right? Even if the missiles went where they said they would?

And would Japan try and shoot them down anyway, bringing Japan more directly into NK's hit radar?

Best thing China could do is to announce that it will stay neutral in the event of the war and not support them at all. As long as a Chinese sympathetic government is still in place afterwards whatever happens.

Come on Fat Boy don't sent those missiles over...

allblacks

Unread post by allblacks » Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:50 am

Trump is being equally idiotic.

China said it would not stand by while NK regime change etc happened. They will not stay neutral at all.

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/quee ... 86bcc1e142
State-run Chinese newspaper The Global Times called for an end to provocations and a peaceful solution for the Korean peninsula.

It warned if the US attacked North Korea, China “will stop them”.
My prediction is a mere standoff again however. Both sides have too much to lose to go to war and yes, the US and it's allies would wipe the fucking floor with NK. Maybe not with China, but NK would be gone from the world map.

Shawn
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: At Mitch & Murray, holding on to the good leads and preparing sets of steak knives

Unread post by Shawn » Sat Aug 12, 2017 8:50 am

allblacks wrote:
Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:50 am

My prediction is a mere standoff again however. Both sides have too much to lose to go to war and yes, the US and it's allies would wipe the fucking floor with NK. Maybe not with China, but NK would be gone from the world map.
:agree: This. But in this case, I would say that it is North Korea who are acting rationally while the US comes across as belligerent and hysterical. I've been watching the US media and the level of hysteria is something to see. You'd think Kim has his finger on the button and is ready to destroy America at any moment. Even the man-in-the-street interviews show a preponderance of people OK with a pre-emptive strike or even war. :eyes:

China is the only country that has any sway with North Korea and I wouldn't be surprised if they were letting North Korea ramp up tensions before they give them a jerk on the leash. It's a great distraction for them as it turns attention away from what they have been doing in the South China Sea.

A slight aside, I see that Canada has been meeting with North Korea officials. Could they be doing some behind-the-scenes diplomacy?

Junken Master
Hopeless Drone
Hopeless Drone

Unread post by Junken Master » Mon Aug 14, 2017 5:21 pm

http://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/world/wil ... ailsignout

So two key dates coming up apparently: Tomorrow (15th - liberation day) . "Aug. 15 is the anniversary of the end of World War II in 1945 and the Korean Peninsula's liberation from Japanese colonial rule. Pyongyang likes to use big anniversaries to make high-profile statements with military activity or political provocations..."

Then Aug. 21 (war games) This is another likely trigger, if Pyongyang is going to actually do anything.

"Tens of thousands of U.S. and South Korean troops are expected to kick off the annual Ulchi-Freedom Guardian military exercises on Aug. 21. North Korea sees these exercises and larger ones held every spring as a rehearsal for invasion. Getting Washington to halt them has long been one of Pyongyang's key demands, and it regularly stirs the pot around the time they're held.

North Korea carried out its biggest nuclear test just after last year's UFG drills ended and fired four Scud ER missiles into waters off Japan to coincide with the spring exercises this past March."

So if the war games (that last for 10 days until the end of the month) go by without anything happening (or in the immediate aftermath), that could possibly be a good sign. Let's hope so!

senseiman
9 miles of bad road
9 miles of bad road

Unread post by senseiman » Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:29 pm

Junken Master wrote:
Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:34 pm
Best thing China could do is to announce that it will stay neutral in the event of the war and not support them at all. As long as a Chinese sympathetic government is still in place afterwards whatever happens.
I think the Chinese position is close to this and is actually pretty pragmatic. They just announced (indirectly through state media) a few days ago that if North Korea starts a war, China will remain neutral. They will only get involved if the US, rather than North Korea, starts it.

That provides negative incentives to both of the idiot hot heads involved, which I think is constructive.

Oh wait....Trump just held a press conference defending white supremacists after one of them murdered a protestor. Guess North Korea is going to go back to the bottom of the news cycle for a while.
祇園精舎の鐘の聲、諸行無常の響あり。娑羅雙樹の花の色、盛者必衰のことわりをあらはす。おごれる人も久しからず、唯春の夜の夢のごとし。たけき者も遂にほろびぬ、偏に風の前の塵に同じ。

Junken Master
Hopeless Drone
Hopeless Drone

Unread post by Junken Master » Tue Aug 29, 2017 5:00 pm

BartenBotflyVB
Frustrated Realist
Frustrated Realist
Location: (i'm not barten, or Valve Bouncer, I'm just that botfly c**t)

Unread post by BartenBotflyVB » Wed Sep 06, 2017 4:39 pm

cannot wait until Dear Leader bombs my nuts halfway back to the fucken Stone Age. slingshot those kiln-baked little cunts halfway around the Cape of Good Cock and back for all I fucken care. LETS DO IT U FAT FUCK

the last monster pyong dong K.Dong shot went right over my fucking head.

"I'm watching you Botters, you corrosively handsome tiny-cocked motherfucker."

once Porcupine Brain has done testing his DieDong Mk 1 all over Japan's collective groin gristles, its a quick spray all over the filthy capitalist gooksphere over the border then on to JesusLand to fuck their shit up with a biblical smiting hooray fuck R.I.P

Shawn
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: At Mitch & Murray, holding on to the good leads and preparing sets of steak knives

Unread post by Shawn » Sat Sep 23, 2017 5:25 am

The war of words has reached a ridiculous low. It's now Rocket Man vs Barking Dog. And just watch the use of 'dotard' increase.

Junken Master
Hopeless Drone
Hopeless Drone

Unread post by Junken Master » Sat Sep 23, 2017 8:38 pm

It's a farce isn't it. They really do just need to have a game of conkers or something to sort out their differences. (Nuclear tipped conkers maybe??)

And what's all this stuff about NK testing a H-bomb in the sea next? Madness!

Anyway won't they just send Rodman back in to sort it all out?