The President Trump Thread

A forum for discussing topics not related to eikaiwa or Japan.
Forum rules
The basic forum rules are here :wink: . Refer to the BBCode Guide for information on using BBCode tags, plus this post about additional tags for embedding video.
Shawn
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: At Mitch & Murray, holding on to the good leads and preparing sets of steak knives

Re: The President Trump Thread

Unread post by Shawn » Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:21 am

I'm pretty much talking to myself here. :blah:

But wait, there's more! Break out the popcorn! Michael Flynn has apparently agreed to testify on Russia in return for immunity.

I wonder what he will have to say? If he wants immunity, does that mean he has some real dirt to dish?
:pc: :pc:

MacGyver
Shockproof shit detector
Shockproof shit detector

Unread post by MacGyver » Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:02 am

Shawn wrote:
Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:21 am
I'm pretty much talking to myself here. :blah:
No, definitely not. I, for one, have been lurking the whole time reading and enjoying (?) this thread. :thumbsup:

Generally just don't have the time to post anything meaningful.
"Yous guys talk a lotta shit. I'm much more smarter than all a yous." - Samurai Jerk after being owned by the Let's Japan crew.

senseiman
9 miles of bad road
9 miles of bad road

Unread post by senseiman » Fri Mar 31, 2017 11:48 am

I read too. Its just hard to comment on Trump, everything he is doing is bad and my only challenge is keeping up with the bad news.

Oh look, everyone's internet browsing history in the US is now available for sale thanks to Trump, didn't see that one coming. Glad I don't live there.
祇園精舎の鐘の聲、諸行無常の響あり。娑羅雙樹の花の色、盛者必衰のことわりをあらはす。おごれる人も久しからず、唯春の夜の夢のごとし。たけき者も遂にほろびぬ、偏に風の前の塵に同じ。

Shawn
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: At Mitch & Murray, holding on to the good leads and preparing sets of steak knives

Unread post by Shawn » Fri Mar 31, 2017 1:01 pm

senseiman wrote:
Fri Mar 31, 2017 11:48 am
I read too. Its just hard to comment on Trump, everything he is doing is bad and my only challenge is keeping up with the bad news.
It's a firehose of bullshit, isn't it? What did I read this morning? Cuts to funding of Planned Parenthood, Pell grants, HIV research, and food assistance. Oh, and Ivanka is now an unpaid advisor with an office in the White House. The idiotic budget he proposed seems like a distant memory.

sirwanksalot
Masturbateur
Masturbateur

Unread post by sirwanksalot » Fri Mar 31, 2017 11:50 pm

I'm reading too! Honestly it's a fucking clownshow and it's tiring to keep up with all of this. I had a Brazilian friend of mine in my car telling me how he supports Trump...I cut him off mid thought and gave him the choice of walking or changing the topic. I honestly miss former president Dubya.

senseiman
9 miles of bad road
9 miles of bad road

Unread post by senseiman » Mon Apr 03, 2017 3:38 pm

Shawn wrote:
Fri Mar 31, 2017 1:01 pm
senseiman wrote:
It's a firehose of bullshit, isn't it? What did I read this morning? Cuts to funding of Planned Parenthood, Pell grants, HIV research, and food assistance. Oh, and Ivanka is now an unpaid advisor with an office in the White House. The idiotic budget he proposed seems like a distant memory.
Yeah, at the moment all I can say is I am glad I do not live in that country, its just too brutal to watch. He is just taking a torch to everything the country needs while pushing policies that help nobody but himself.

The weirdest coincidence in my life is that I actually bought my first house - the biggest investment I've ever made - on the day he was elected. This was not planned, I wasn't even thinking of politics and the date just coincidentally happened to be on US election day. Take all the second guessing and worrying that goes along with becoming a home owner, then add the second guessing and worrying that goes with seeing a lunatic become leader of the free world and....I've not had many comfortable sleeps since.

So fuck you, Donald Trump, for in addition to everything else you have done ruining my ability to enjoy my new house with peace of mind.
祇園精舎の鐘の聲、諸行無常の響あり。娑羅雙樹の花の色、盛者必衰のことわりをあらはす。おごれる人も久しからず、唯春の夜の夢のごとし。たけき者も遂にほろびぬ、偏に風の前の塵に同じ。

Shawn
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Shawn » Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:52 am

senseiman wrote:
The weirdest coincidence in my life is that I actually bought my first house - the biggest investment I've ever made - on the day he was elected. This was not planned, I wasn't even thinking of politics and the date just coincidentally happened to be on US election day. Take all the second guessing and worrying that goes along with becoming a home owner, then add the second guessing and worrying that goes with seeing a lunatic become leader of the free world and....I've not had many comfortable sleeps since.

So fuck you, Donald Trump, for in addition to everything else you have done ruining my ability to enjoy my new house with peace of mind.
:rotfl: Don't worry, the pain should be over soon. If it lasts more than a year, then maybe you should consult a doctor, or move or something.

Here's an idea: a friend's daughter was born while Obama was giving his inaugural speech, which earned her the nickname "Oba-ko." If you time things just right, you could have a child when Trump is arrested/removed from office. :thumbsup:

Shawn
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Shawn » Fri Apr 07, 2017 8:54 am

Here's another quote for the history books: "Something should happen."

Shawn
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Shawn » Fri Apr 07, 2017 2:05 pm

This is brilliant! Jared Goes To Iraq! A Picture Story
Soon, Jared has to go home. Joe and his service members talk about their time with Jared.

“He sure is nice,” one says.

“It’s nice to have nice friends!” Joe says.

“He’s not in the chain of command,” another says.

Junken Master
Hopeless Drone
Hopeless Drone

Unread post by Junken Master » Fri Apr 07, 2017 6:25 pm

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/world-us-canada-39521332

OK so he launches 59 cruise miles into Syria and destroys a military base killing four soldiers as a "proportionate" response to the chemical attack.

If there is 100% evidence that the chemical attack was from the Assad regime then of course that is a terrible crime. But there are so many groups running around there how can anybody be sure?

BUT after several years of intense fighting, things in Syria had started to stabilise slightly, with the Syrian government taking back control of Aleppo.

Islamic State are gradually being ousted from key positions in Iraq, and I believe an attack was also due to take back Raqqa.

Surely it's better to deal with the Islamic state issue once and for all before deciding to get stuck into Syria to provoke Russia?

Pure Lunacy and Mindlessness.

Oh, so the UK government "supports" the US decision. That's OK they've all got their nuclear-hardened bunkers they can crawl into when it all goes off with Russia.

All I've got is my garden and a spade. Better start digging...

Also I am definitely in the anti-trump camp now. He seems to change his mind on things every five minutes. Who know's what's next.

DEAL WITH ISLAMIC STATE FIRST. FOR FUCK SAKE.

Shawn
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Shawn » Sat Apr 08, 2017 9:11 am

Junken Master wrote:
Fri Apr 07, 2017 6:25 pm
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/world-us-canada-39521332

OK so he launches 59 cruise miles into Syria and destroys a military base killing four soldiers as a "proportionate" response to the chemical attack
Well, he did something, after years of Twitting to Obama not to attack Syria and campaigning on "if Clinton is elected, she'll bomb Syria," not 100 days into his presidency, he bombs Syria. :FU: I don't understand the point of this attack. Hitting one airfield doesn't hurt Assad, or his air force, or his ability to use chemical weapons. Is this a one-off attack or does the US intend to further involve itself in Syria's civil war? The rhetoric around calling for Assad's removal is ominously reminiscent of the calls to get of Saddam Hussein.

scanman
Enthusiastic Newbie
Enthusiastic Newbie

Unread post by scanman » Sat Apr 08, 2017 12:58 pm

It's getting serious: 'The US envoy to the UN has warned America may take further action after bombarding a Syrian air base suspected of using chemical weapons. Nikki Haley said her country would not stand by when chemical weapons were used, as it was in its "vital interest" to stop their proliferation. Syrian ally Russia accused the US of encouraging "terrorists" with its unilateral actions. Moscow has promised to strengthen its ally Syria's anti-aircraft defences. It is also closing down a hotline with the US designed to avoid collisions between their air forces over Syria.' :guns:

Junken Master
Hopeless Drone
Hopeless Drone

Unread post by Junken Master » Sun Apr 09, 2017 10:43 pm

You forgot to add that he's currently sending a Nimitz class carrier / destroyer fleet towards the Korean Peninsular.

Junken Master
Hopeless Drone
Hopeless Drone

Unread post by Junken Master » Sun Apr 09, 2017 10:50 pm

Shawn I just don't get it.

They attack Afghanistan and fuck it up.

They attack Iraq and fuck it up.

They attack Libya and fuck it up.

They cheer for the Egyptian government getting overthrown and then Egypt is fucked up. Turns into a die hard Islamic run country and a further counter revolution is needed.

And no matter how fucked up Syria is already they want to fuck it up more.

I mean, they have a good solid government in place and a strong leader to replace Assad right, like there was in Iraq / Libya / Egypt?

Fuck sake I'm off to wash the car and relax in the garden.

Shawn
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Shawn » Mon Apr 10, 2017 11:05 am

Junken Master wrote:
Sun Apr 09, 2017 10:50 pm
If you expand your timeline, you'll see that the US has been at war or has been meddling in the affairs of other nations since the end of WWII. So what's the problem? Is it terrorism? Extremism? Communism? Or is the problem the United States and the fact that it likes to throw its military weight around? Assad or Saddam Hussein or Kaddaffi are/were brutal dictators, but what is the alternative if they are removed? I shudder to think of the power vacuum that would occur if the US managed to take out Assad and Kim Jong-un.

allblacks

Unread post by allblacks » Mon Apr 10, 2017 4:12 pm

Shawn wrote:
Mon Apr 10, 2017 11:05 am
Junken Master wrote:
Sun Apr 09, 2017 10:50 pm
If you expand your timeline, you'll see that the US has been at war or has been meddling in the affairs of other nations since the end of WWII. So what's the problem? Is it terrorism? Extremism? Communism? Or is the problem the United States and the fact that it likes to throw its military weight around? Assad or Saddam Hussein or Kaddaffi are/were brutal dictators, but what is the alternative if they are removed? I shudder to think of the power vacuum that would occur if the US managed to take out Assad and Kim Jong-un.
The US has also been dragging other countries into their meddling. This is a serious problem that has no easy solution but Trump is doing a great job of creating friction between the so called allies of theirs.

I might be merely echoing what the media is saying but maybe they have fucked things up for themselves with this and will not be able to get support in the future. Case in point the Syria stuff going on right now.

senseiman
9 miles of bad road
9 miles of bad road

Unread post by senseiman » Mon Apr 10, 2017 4:43 pm

The missile attack on Syria is just weird. It serves no obvious purpose and contradicts what Trump led everyone to believe was going to be his foreign policy....which is about par for the course with every other thing he promised to do...but disturbing nonetheless.

He seems to have just ordered this with no thought whatsoever. Which makes his handling of other crises where the stakes will be much higher, like Korea, terrifying to contemplate.

Shawn
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Shawn » Mon Apr 10, 2017 5:40 pm

allblacks wrote:
Mon Apr 10, 2017 4:12 pm
I might be merely echoing what the media is saying but maybe they have fucked things up for themselves with this and will not be able to get support in the future. Case in point the Syria stuff going on right now.
I don't think so. The American media, especially on the cable news networks, had a collective orgasm to the missile strikes. :ack: I suppose it's easier to "cover" than to do actual reporting or analysis. :ack:

Shawn
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Shawn » Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:12 pm

senseiman wrote:
Mon Apr 10, 2017 4:43 pm
The missile attack on Syria is just weird. It serves no obvious purpose and contradicts what Trump led everyone to believe was going to be his foreign policy....which is about par for the course with every other thing he promised to do...but disturbing nonetheless.

He seems to have just ordered this with no thought whatsoever. Which makes his handling of other crises where the stakes will be much higher, like Korea, terrifying to contemplate.
Yes, but on the other hand, with everything Trump has promised (not attacking Syria, better health care, wall across Mexico, drain the swamp, etc), he has done the exact opposite. So, maybe moving an aircraft carrier near Korea means he'll do nothing. :eyes:

Shawn
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Shawn » Tue Apr 11, 2017 12:06 pm

So, at the usual presser, Spicer was asked about why the US can bomb Syria but not take refugees. His reply:
"With respect to the people of Syria, by us taking action and de-escalating what's going on in Syria, that's the greatest thing you can do to support those people."
:puke: Asshole.

allblacks

Unread post by allblacks » Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:06 pm

We gotta get into the Japanese perspective on this... Asada Mao is retiring from her sport. That's more important news!

Shawn
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Shawn » Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:17 am

allblacks wrote:
Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:06 pm
We gotta get into the Japanese perspective on this... Asada Mao is retiring from her sport. That's more important news!
God forbid that she dies at a young age. :ack: She's all that's on TV!

senseiman
9 miles of bad road
9 miles of bad road

Unread post by senseiman » Wed Apr 12, 2017 12:10 pm

Oh hey look, Sean Spicer is saying Hitler didn't use chemical weapons and using him as a positive point of comparison. How about that.

Shawn
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Shawn » Wed Apr 12, 2017 12:56 pm

senseiman wrote:
Wed Apr 12, 2017 12:10 pm
Oh hey look, Sean Spicer is saying Hitler didn't use chemical weapons and using him as a positive point of comparison. How about that.
Just when you think something dumber could not be said, the bar get sets lower. How does this guy still have a job? He demonstrates to the public every day how bad he is at it.

MacGyver
Shockproof shit detector
Shockproof shit detector

Unread post by MacGyver » Wed Apr 12, 2017 1:16 pm

Shawn wrote:
Wed Apr 12, 2017 12:56 pm
Just when you think something dumber could not be said, the bar get sets lower. How does this guy still have a job?
One word: his boss.
"Yous guys talk a lotta shit. I'm much more smarter than all a yous." - Samurai Jerk after being owned by the Let's Japan crew.

Shawn
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Shawn » Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:09 am

Absolutely. But there comes a point when the media is doing this in their chyrons
Screen Shot 2017-04-12 at 10.30.53 AM_aa77867441affc7c7c76f37ff1baac10.jpg
that they have to start asking Spicer (and Trump) point blank: What the hell is wrong with you?

Shawn
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Shawn » Sat Apr 15, 2017 9:45 am

Apparently, the J in Donald J Trump stands for jackass. :mrgreen:

Shawn
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Shawn » Mon Apr 17, 2017 3:04 pm

Interesting interview. In a nutshell:
  • There is no Russia-Trump conspiracy
  • Russia did try to sway the election, but that was through old fashioned propaganda, which was done in the open
  • Too much emphasis placed on contact with Russian ambassador; that's what ambassadors do: they meet with all sorts of people. But this normal action has become toxic. (Russia hit the jackpot in having connections with a bunch of political outsiders that ended up in the presidency.)
  • In the end, there will be no smoking gun that ties Russia to Trump because there isn't one. The American public elected Trump.
  • Because there is no smoking gun, Trump will not be impeached
  • An impeachment would have to go down the road of McCarthyism and claim that American votes for Trump were wrong and unAmerican because of Russian influence.
  • US-Russia relations are heading for a confrontation.

Junken Master
Hopeless Drone
Hopeless Drone

Unread post by Junken Master » Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:24 pm

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/04/17/us/p ... .html?_r=0

So Trump has now given the thumbs up to Erdogan on significantly amplifying his power as a result of very questionable referendum.

And a snap general election in the UK now for the 8th June because they can't get Brexit through? I mean what's the point? Could take votes off the Labour party but SNP members still won't vote for them. What will they gain? 20 more seats? No way they'll be getting their 2/3rds majority or whatever they need.

The world has gone completely mad.

Shawn
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Shawn » Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:25 pm

Um, this interview is in English and it makes no sense. It's all over the place.

On top of it, German chancellor Merkel had to explain some very basic stuff to Trump and his team:
President Trump did not understand that the US cannot negotiate a trade deal with Germany alone and must deal with the European Union as a bloc, a senior German official told The Times of London.

"Ten times Trump asked [German chancellor Angela Merkel] if he could negotiate a trade deal with Germany. Every time she replied, 'You can’t do a trade deal with Germany, only the EU,'" the official said.

They continued: "On the eleventh refusal, Trump finally got the message, 'Oh, we’ll do a deal with Europe then.'"
:ack: