Smoking these days

A forum for discussing topics not related to eikaiwa or Japan.
Forum rules
The basic forum rules are here :wink: . Refer to the BBCode Guide for information on using BBCode tags, plus this post about additional tags for embedding video.
allblacks

Smoking these days

Unread post by allblacks » Wed Jan 25, 2017 6:48 pm

Hi all. Here's an off topic one for ya all.

When I first came to Japan in 1996, the cost of a packet of cigs was 220 yen for Mild Seven Superlights. I picked up the habit and smoked until I left. Back home it was pretty expensive so I quit until coming back again about a year later and staying again. It was still pretty cheap then and I kept up the habit.

Finally quit in about 2003 and have been basically smoke free ever since. Yeah a few lapses but just a night here and there really.

I saw in the NZ Herald that the government has decided to bump tax up on tobacco 10% annually for next 4 years.
It's over for smokers back home. They won't pay $30 for a pack! That's what the cost will be in three more years! In JPY that's about 2700 yen.

Any thoughts on this topic?

lordCONAN
Eikaiwa Hero
Eikaiwa Hero

Re: Smoking these days

Unread post by lordCONAN » Wed Jan 25, 2017 6:56 pm

I'm all for huge taxes on it. Really, the effects of passive smoking are well documented, and smoking parents exponentially increases the chance that their children will also smoke, leading to an extremely high rate of cancer.

Sure enough, tobacco is physically addictive ... but still, smokers won't get much sympathy from me. Especially when they walk around smoking on what are common running courses.

allblacks

Unread post by allblacks » Wed Jan 25, 2017 8:07 pm

Absolutely right. I've never smoked around my kids. Totally against that.

senseiman
9 miles of bad road
9 miles of bad road

Unread post by senseiman » Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:26 am

I am also in favor of upping the taxes.

More importantly (to me at least) is that I wish Japan would ban smoking in all restaurants. I used to put up with it, but now that I have a young kid it pisses me off massively that I can't go into 90% of the restaurants here without exposing him to that shit.
祇園精舎の鐘の聲、諸行無常の響あり。娑羅雙樹の花の色、盛者必衰のことわりをあらはす。おごれる人も久しからず、唯春の夜の夢のごとし。たけき者も遂にほろびぬ、偏に風の前の塵に同じ。

Shawn
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: At Mitch & Murray, holding on to the good leads and preparing sets of steak knives

Unread post by Shawn » Thu Jan 26, 2017 12:12 pm

senseiman wrote:I am also in favor of upping the taxes.

More importantly (to me at least) is that I wish Japan would ban smoking in all restaurants. I used to put up with it, but now that I have a young kid it pisses me off massively that I can't go into 90% of the restaurants here without exposing him to that shit.
I think Japan will get there, especially given the upcoming Olympics in 2020. For now, they could at least seal off smoking sections. Use air-tight doors, no air circulation. Shops should also do some thinking about where smoking areas are placed. Don't put them at or near entrances! I hate having to run a gauntlet of stink. Go smoke behind a dumpster or something. :anger:

allblacks

Unread post by allblacks » Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:25 pm

They might take it one step further like in NZ and Australia soon: No smoking in bars or restaurants or any public place.

I went home last year and Auckland restaurants etc were great. Bars too. Zero smoke made it more enjoyable for sure. Same exact thing in Aussie last year in June.

Shawn
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: At Mitch & Murray, holding on to the good leads and preparing sets of steak knives

Unread post by Shawn » Fri Jan 27, 2017 11:47 am

allblacks wrote:They might take it one step further like in NZ and Australia soon: No smoking in bars or restaurants or any public place.

I went home last year and Auckland restaurants etc were great. Bars too. Zero smoke made it more enjoyable for sure. Same exact thing in Aussie last year in June.
I remember when they did this in my hometown of Vancouver a long time ago. Man, did the bars and restaurants bitch and complain about not being able to have a smoke with their drink/meal. Sales will drop! We'll do out of business! Well, life went on. It's so nice to be able to sit down in a pub and enjoy a craft beer or a meal without inhaling noxious smoke.

senseiman
9 miles of bad road
9 miles of bad road

Unread post by senseiman » Fri Jan 27, 2017 12:22 pm

Shawn wrote: I remember when they did this in my hometown of Vancouver a long time ago. Man, did the bars and restaurants bitch and complain about not being able to have a smoke with their drink/meal. Sales will drop! We'll do out of business! Well, life went on. It's so nice to be able to sit down in a pub and enjoy a craft beer or a meal without inhaling noxious smoke.
I remember that too, the hysterical reaction from bar owners was kind of laughable - if it is banned in all restuarants and bars, then nobody is going to lose any business.

The fact that the Ministry of Finance in Japan owns a 1/3 ownership stake in Japan Tobacco has been cited as one reason why a similar ban has never been tried in Japan and I think that is plausible as an explanation.

The JT advertising (oh, another thing Japanese law is behind the times in - allowing tobacco ads everywhere!) is nauseating, especially the bullshit ads-disguised-as-public-service announcements like this one promoting friendship and understanding among smokers and non-smokers as though that was some sort of an actual issue of public concern unrelated to....say....public regulations banning smoking in restuarants (which would go a long way towards making non smokers get along with smokers):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_tFOxJYvQ90
祇園精舎の鐘の聲、諸行無常の響あり。娑羅雙樹の花の色、盛者必衰のことわりをあらはす。おごれる人も久しからず、唯春の夜の夢のごとし。たけき者も遂にほろびぬ、偏に風の前の塵に同じ。

allblacks

Unread post by allblacks » Fri Jan 27, 2017 7:17 pm

...and the V at the end with the birds is like JT's victory over mankind or some shit.

Shawn
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Shawn » Tue Jan 31, 2017 12:02 pm

senseiman wrote:
Shawn wrote:The fact that the Ministry of Finance in Japan owns a 1/3 ownership stake in Japan Tobacco has been cited as one reason why a similar ban has never been tried in Japan and I think that is plausible as an explanation.
It makes complete sense. No stakeholder would ever do something to harm their profits. The commercials are also sensible in that the public understands that smoking will kill you, so why not do some PR to make everyone feel warm and fuzzy? They are still bullshit, though. Friendship and understanding my ass. Smokers can enjoy their cigarettes by the trash heap in the freezing rain while "understanding" that nobody wants to share in their smelly habit.

senseiman
9 miles of bad road
9 miles of bad road

Unread post by senseiman » Tue Jan 31, 2017 1:11 pm

Shawn wrote: It makes complete sense. No stakeholder would ever do something to harm their profits. The commercials are also sensible in that the public understands that smoking will kill you, so why not do some PR to make everyone feel warm and fuzzy? They are still bullshit, though. Friendship and understanding my ass. Smokers can enjoy their cigarettes by the trash heap in the freezing rain while "understanding" that nobody wants to share in their smelly habit.
True, I can't argue against the existence of some internal logic behind them.

I favor your view of the best way to encourage co-existence between smokers and non-smokers. If neither side smokes in the presence of the other, everyone will get along great.

Not exactly what JT is getting at I suppose, but its really the only way that makes sense.