R.I.P. Let's Japan.org

A forum for discussing topics not related to eikaiwa or Japan.
Forum rules
The basic forum rules are here :wink: . Refer to the BBCode Guide for information on using BBCode tags, plus this post about additional tags for embedding video.
JD9
Eikaiwa Hero
Eikaiwa Hero

R.I.P. Let's Japan.org

Unread post by JD9 » Sat Dec 15, 2012 7:12 pm

Dead as a dead dingoes dry dong......
Angryboy: [size=150][color=#FF0000]Fuck I`m drunk.Been nbice knowing you apck of cunts.[/color][/size]

steki47

Re: R.I.P. Let's Japan.org

Unread post by steki47 » Sun Dec 16, 2012 12:13 am

Hitting the bottle early? What brought on this pessimism?

JD9
Eikaiwa Hero
Eikaiwa Hero

Unread post by JD9 » Sun Dec 16, 2012 12:26 am

steki47 wrote:Hitting the bottle early? What brought on this pessimism?
Well yeah, I've been sucking on my 3L JD bottle but I think 3 consequitive days of fuck all posts might be more of a catalyst for my pessimism. Busy time of the year I guess, for the life livers.
Angryboy: [size=150][color=#FF0000]Fuck I`m drunk.Been nbice knowing you apck of cunts.[/color][/size]

steki47

Unread post by steki47 » Sun Dec 16, 2012 9:05 am

JD9 wrote:
steki47 wrote:Hitting the bottle early? What brought on this pessimism?
Well yeah, I've been sucking on my 3L JD bottle but I think 3 consequitive days of fuck all posts might be more of a catalyst for my pessimism. Busy time of the year I guess, for the life livers.
Yeah, I see the last post on eikaiwa was from Thursday or so. I try to start some discussions, but generally get few replies. Oh well.

Wish E-rock would post here more. Lazy turd.

allblacks

Unread post by allblacks » Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:45 am

Ive been too busy dealing with certain issues to post here much. Neglected lifes little gripes even. Highly uncharacteristic I know!

RalphWiggum
LJ Oracle
LJ Oracle

Unread post by RalphWiggum » Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:26 am

I think message boards in general are gradually dying out with the rise of social media. They just aren't relevant any more, and coupled with the decline of eikaiwa it's unsurprising that there's no new blood joining the board. It's a shame as this place used to be a riot back in the day...

Big Daikon went this way and seems to have vanished now.
Shit wank bollocks

BergKatse
Hopeless Drone
Hopeless Drone

Unread post by BergKatse » Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:41 am

Would it be an idea to take a hint from waygook.org? Over there, they post the lesson plans and materials they made for others to shares. Presentations, worksheets, activities, etc. That might help bring people back to Let's Japan...?

JD9
Eikaiwa Hero
Eikaiwa Hero

Unread post by JD9 » Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:12 am

RalphWiggum wrote:I think message boards in general are gradually dying out with the rise of social media. They just aren't relevant any more, and coupled with the decline of eikaiwa it's unsurprising that there's no new blood joining the board.
Sounds about right....
Pity because there's shit I post here that I would never post on FB and vice versa.

allblacks

Unread post by allblacks » Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:55 am

Were many of you around when Shawn put the site on hold a while back? It was a shame not to have a place to go to talk about stuff only expats here can relate to.

BergKatse
Hopeless Drone
Hopeless Drone

Unread post by BergKatse » Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:11 pm

↑ No. What happened?

steki47

Unread post by steki47 » Mon Dec 17, 2012 5:22 pm

BergKatse wrote:Would it be an idea to take a hint from waygook.org? Over there, they post the lesson plans and materials they made for others to shares. Presentations, worksheets, activities, etc. That might help bring people back to Let's Japan...?
Not a bad idea. Rather than just bitching about stuff (productive in its own way), we could pretend to be professionals.

exUsagiCoalMiner
Cassandra
Cassandra
Location: In the concrete jungle known as "the Kitchen of Japan"....

Unread post by exUsagiCoalMiner » Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:40 am

steki47 wrote:
BergKatse wrote:Would it be an idea to take a hint from waygook.org? Over there, they post the lesson plans and materials they made for others to shares. Presentations, worksheets, activities, etc. That might help bring people back to Let's Japan...?
Not a bad idea. Rather than just bitching about stuff (productive in its own way), we could pretend to be professionals.
There used to be a thread for that on here somewhere. Thing it sprung up sometime around the Nova collapse, so you'll have to do some digging/searching to dredge it up.
"But it's got sharp, pointy teeth!"

steki47

Unread post by steki47 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:48 pm

exUsagiCoalMiner wrote:
steki47 wrote:
There used to be a thread for that on here somewhere. Thing it sprung up sometime around the Nova collapse, so you'll have to do some digging/searching to dredge it up.
I'll search some day. If there is enough interest, there should be a separate section just for teaching ideas, lesson plans and so on.

I would like to see us share ideas and become something we could share with others. Something i could share with my grad school classmates.

Shawn
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: At Mitch & Murray, holding on to the good leads and preparing sets of steak knives

Unread post by Shawn » Sat Dec 22, 2012 11:36 am

Rumors of my death have been greatly exaggerated. Sadly, I have neglected the bog and forums for nearly a year. Lots has changed in my life. Somebody decided to promote me at work, giving me a sorts of responsibility and forcing me to work long hours. I also have 2 kids running around now. Work and kids take up all of my time. When I do I have free time. that's for sleeping or drinking.

I'd like to get back to a more active role though....

senseiman
9 miles of bad road
9 miles of bad road

Unread post by senseiman » Sat Dec 22, 2012 1:12 pm

Glad that you aren`t dead Shawn! :D :beer:

My board participation has dropped off significantly over the years too. I generally agree with Ralph, this place used to be a riot back around 2003 or 2004 and I would spend a crapload of time on here. Now I check maybe 2 or 3 times a week and post in a thread maybe once a month or so, if that.

I guess the reasons have already been mentioned by others. I would add that it has now been almost a decade since I worked for an Eikaiwa chain and that probably holds true for most of the long-termers, so our thematic attraction to the board is probably less than it once was too.

Also, Allblacks, I do remember when Shawn closed down the boards. No Facebook, Twitter or anything like that back then, I think most of my online `socialization` occurred on here. Big bummer that was, though I was pretty happy when it came back up.
祇園精舎の鐘の聲、諸行無常の響あり。娑羅雙樹の花の色、盛者必衰のことわりをあらはす。おごれる人も久しからず、唯春の夜の夢のごとし。たけき者も遂にほろびぬ、偏に風の前の塵に同じ。

senseiman
9 miles of bad road
9 miles of bad road

Unread post by senseiman » Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:06 pm

I was reading this article about stamp collecting the other day. No young people collect stamps anymore, partly because its a boring hobby but mainly because young people haven`t been exposed to stamps while they were young like previous generations were. So stamp collecting shows these days are full of retirees and pretty much nobody under 40. Its a dying hobby.

You could say that Japan forums are kind of the online version of that. This place is filled with old timers who came over when these places were the only way of communicating with people in a similar situation. The kids these days though have so many options they just don`t need to come here as much as we did back in the day.

Plus, of course, there are fewer young ones out there.

Not all forums are dying, but it seems the ones that are still busy are the ones centred around a hobby and people mainly go there to use the buy/sell/trade subforums.
祇園精舎の鐘の聲、諸行無常の響あり。娑羅雙樹の花の色、盛者必衰のことわりをあらはす。おごれる人も久しからず、唯春の夜の夢のごとし。たけき者も遂にほろびぬ、偏に風の前の塵に同じ。

MacGyver
Shockproof shit detector
Shockproof shit detector

Unread post by MacGyver » Wed May 01, 2013 10:27 am

senseiman wrote:Not all forums are dying, but it seems the ones that are still busy are the ones centred around a hobby and people mainly go there to use the buy/sell/trade subforums.
Actually that's an interesting point. I am not a member of any forum any more except this one. Back in the day you'd basically have to be a member of some forum to ask questions to find out information. But now I just google to find out what I want to know and generally in minutes I have my answer. If I want to know more, I just keep clicking on links and/or refine my search criteria and slowly but surely I have more information on said topic. More related to the topic of this forum, there are also a lot more people out there writing blogs so if you just want to know something about living in Japan, or anything about Japan really, but don't want to join a forum to find out and wait possibly days to get an answer, you just search for it and generally you'll find something related, whether it be forums, some dude's personal blog, or perhaps someone has already asked it on Yahoo questions or whatever that service/site is called.
"Yous guys talk a lotta shit. I'm much more smarter than all a yous." - Samurai Jerk after being owned by the Let's Japan crew.

RalphWiggum
LJ Oracle
LJ Oracle

Unread post by RalphWiggum » Tue May 14, 2013 2:51 am

Look at this place today - busiest I've seen it for years!

I like it!
Shit wank bollocks

bostonaussie
Jaded Veteran
Jaded Veteran

Unread post by bostonaussie » Wed Jul 31, 2013 12:40 am

RalphWiggum wrote:Look at this place today - busiest I've seen it for years!

I like it!

I second that ralph. I echo your earlier sentiments about this forum being a riot back in the day. Fuck, come to think of it, there was some serious Pullitzer winning shit on here huh !!! But like everything there will be ups and downs so I am sure LJ will keep winning !

T.D.
Eikaiwa Hero
Eikaiwa Hero

Unread post by T.D. » Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:41 pm

Yup, I was on LJ back in the day for hours on end, especially while stuck in the teachers office killing time. Skweeks and and the others were posting epic shit back then.

bostonaussie
Jaded Veteran
Jaded Veteran

Unread post by bostonaussie » Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:19 am

T.D. wrote:Yup, I was on LJ back in the day for hours on end, especially while stuck in the teachers office killing time. Skweeks and and the others were posting epic shit back then.
Yeh Nigerian Nampa and redpower put up the goodies too. As for the board dying, Nope, dont think so. Things come. Things go. Things change. This board is just a reflection on that. Everything peaks and troughs as it does.

RalphWiggum
LJ Oracle
LJ Oracle

Unread post by RalphWiggum » Fri Aug 09, 2013 4:50 am

Can't remember the last time anyone new joined though...
Shit wank bollocks

BartenBotflyVB
Frustrated Realist
Frustrated Realist
Location: (i'm not barten, or Valve Bouncer, I'm just that botfly c**t)

Unread post by BartenBotflyVB » Thu Aug 04, 2016 11:58 am

just had a look and they all have russki cyborgy names...

still keen on forus layout. You try finding a 2005 thread from one of those blog reply columns the masses flock to these days. Buried under 70 million gigagoogletonnes of non-negotiable cyber rubble. With the forii, there it is up on blocks, good to go on page 3.

Looks like Wanksman, Angryboy, SamHain and Valve Bouncer all deleted their accounts?

BartenBotflyVB
Frustrated Realist
Frustrated Realist

Unread post by BartenBotflyVB » Sat Aug 06, 2016 10:53 am

SirWanksalot sighting:

T.D.
Eikaiwa Hero
Eikaiwa Hero

Unread post by T.D. » Thu Aug 11, 2016 10:14 pm

I'll be on here til this fucking site is pulled dammit!!!!!!!

sirwanksalot
Masturbateur
Masturbateur

Unread post by sirwanksalot » Thu Aug 11, 2016 11:36 pm

BartenBotflyVB wrote:SirWanksalot sighting:

That's not me. I'd never fuck a Fiat. That being said the handsome gentleman looks a lot like me and inter net wizardry could have been used to disguise the car.

BartenBotflyVB
Frustrated Realist
Frustrated Realist

Unread post by BartenBotflyVB » Fri Aug 12, 2016 9:08 am

sirwanksalot wrote: inter net wizardry could have been used to disguise the car.
Disgusting.

The lengths some people will go to.

haha, "lengths", "wanking", get it?

Ah fuckyuz nevermind

Spastic_Tactician
Hopeless Drone
Hopeless Drone

Unread post by Spastic_Tactician » Fri Sep 09, 2016 12:38 pm

This is my first time visiting in several years. My life just got WAY too busy. I 'm dismayed to see the place in the doldrums. I guess I'm part of the problem.
"Finally, the last step to build the robot is you should screw it. It needs a lot of screwing. Especially in the legs and neck."
-Quote from first year high school English exam

T.D.
Eikaiwa Hero
Eikaiwa Hero

Unread post by T.D. » Tue Sep 13, 2016 11:28 pm

I still check in every week or so. Hoping this place sticks around for a while!!

allblacks

Unread post by allblacks » Tue Sep 13, 2016 11:54 pm

There are more spam message attempts than real posts most days. I probably check twice a day when I'm not busy.