R.I.P. Let's Japan.org

A forum for discussing topics not related to eikaiwa or Japan.
Forum rules
The basic forum rules are here :wink: . Refer to the BBCode Guide for information on using BBCode tags, plus this post about additional tags for embedding video.
RalphWiggum
LJ Oracle
LJ Oracle

Re: R.I.P. Let's Japan.org

Unread post by RalphWiggum » Wed Sep 14, 2016 1:20 am

Sad, isn't it? This place kept me sane on a number of occasions when I was in Japan. Used to be a proper community!
Shit wank bollocks

BartenBotflyVB
Frustrated Realist
Frustrated Realist
Location: (i'm not barten, or Valve Bouncer, I'm just that botfly c**t)

Unread post by BartenBotflyVB » Sun Sep 18, 2016 11:54 am

Gave a few threads a pounding over the summer with the defibrillator paddles, to no avail.

People whinge about forums being dead... then do nothing to rescuscitate them.

It's really fucking easy.

lordCONAN
Eikaiwa Hero
Eikaiwa Hero

Unread post by lordCONAN » Sun Sep 18, 2016 6:02 pm

We probably don't just get the same traffic we used to. I've said this multiple times in multiple different threads I believe, but social media was probably the biggest killer of these forums. When we all came over facebook wasn't a thing, so keeping in touch with people was limited to instant messengers like ICQ, AoL and skype, but these were all somewhat cumbersome to use, and let you only chat with someone. Nowadays with facebook and instagram people are constantly connected. So when the new batch of ALTs and eikaiwa monkeys jump fresh off the boat, they've already posted on their wall and had multiple people like and comment on it. They no longer feel isolated and lost, there is no need to go to a forum. When they need to vent, they vent on facebook.

That said, reddit does have a somewhat active community./r/japan is mostly full of retards that love japan because they watch a lot of anime and dream of living in the glorious land of nippon. /r/japanlife is supposed to be a sub-reddit for people who currently live in Japan, but often has people asking for advice on where to go for their trip, but they are often downvoted. And /r/japancirclejerk is a sub-reddit to make fun of the useless cunts that post in the other 2 threads, or just talk ridiculous shit (may be an acquired taste).

Shawn
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: At Mitch & Murray, holding on to the good leads and preparing sets of steak knives

Unread post by Shawn » Mon Sep 19, 2016 9:44 am

The rise of social media certainly has had an impact, but when NOVA and GEOS were in trouble, the value of anonymity of a forum cannot be understated. Apart from JET, are there "batches" of new teachers coming over as in the past?

I agree that the world is much more connect now, so places like LJ have limited appeal now. I am still on the fence as to what to do with this site.

scanman
Enthusiastic Newbie
Enthusiastic Newbie

Unread post by scanman » Mon Sep 19, 2016 12:47 pm

Maybe it's best to stay on the fence for a while. But, it doesn't look like things will return to the old Nova days.

T.D.
Eikaiwa Hero
Eikaiwa Hero

Unread post by T.D. » Tue Sep 20, 2016 3:15 am

Agreed. The value of being anonymous is understated in today's age. I try to post here and there but unfortunately I don't think LJ will ever reach the number of users it once had. Shawn, you should at least keep her up another year though. And before you pull the plug give us all a chance to swap email addresses and contact info somehow.

Shawn
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: At Mitch & Murray, holding on to the good leads and preparing sets of steak knives

Unread post by Shawn » Tue Sep 20, 2016 12:01 pm

If and when I do shut the site down, I will let everyone know in advance.

In The Know
Cassandra
Cassandra

Unread post by In The Know » Fri Sep 23, 2016 12:31 am

Shawn wrote:If and when I do shut the site down, I will let everyone know in advance.
Fair enough, Shawn. You've provided and maintained a great resource for many years for many people in Japan, so :clap: to you. LJ was a godsend when NOVA started its meltdown and bankruptcy in fall 2007. I'm sure your servers could barely keep up with the posts during that time!

gaijinsmash
Fresh & Minty
Fresh & Minty

Unread post by gaijinsmash » Sat Oct 08, 2016 5:06 am

Ah now some of you come to appreciate the cyclical rise and fall of internet boards. Yes, yes, it has been a long time, grasshoppers, bub-bub-buBBas and others. I remember participating in the rise and fall of other internet discussion boards a decade prior to LJ. Back then, they didn't even have image/emoticon icons but the cycle was eerily similar...a rapid flourishing powered by a new technology or online innovation, new members swelling, excited babble, followed by a period of three or four years of peak intensity, then a slow decay as members departed faster than they were recruited, and then as alternative media/topics/lifeforces for the founders- usually work and kids - ate into their time and enthusiasm for the board. Soon there were few left. Finally a few old hands reconvened for a final reminiscing. Soon it will be time to consign the LJ experience to memory in this same way. I agree it was fun on here and nobody can "resuscitate" the forums more than I, if I cared to do so.

One day you will be reminded of these facts again, by your various starring roles in my own blog/publication/rant. Do not think your LJ presence will be forgotten for ever if this board disappears. No indeed. Because you f##s, I remember and know you all so well, not only VB and allblacks and SWL and ralphie and paulhackfVck, but even fetusovereasy. You are now thinking, oh sh%%, who the f### is this, but in reality yes, you know well. Very well. Plus ca change...

RalphWiggum
LJ Oracle
LJ Oracle

Unread post by RalphWiggum » Sat Oct 08, 2016 10:07 pm

What a load of bollocks.
Shit wank bollocks

BergKatse
Hopeless Drone
Hopeless Drone

Unread post by BergKatse » Sun Oct 09, 2016 1:44 pm

Question: Shawn, have you made any money at all off LJ? Even a few pennies?
I sure hope you have; your effort deserves some reward.

Shawn
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Shawn » Sun Oct 09, 2016 3:01 pm

BergKatse wrote:Question: Shawn, have you made any money at all off LJ? Even a few pennies?
I sure hope you have; your effort deserves some reward.
Overall, no, but at the height of the NOVA collapse, I did manage to pull in a few hundred bucks a month for a stretch with AdSense. You really do need constant traffic to generate any meaningful amount of cash. I figure I made enough to cover hosting costs for a few years.

BergKatse
Hopeless Drone
Hopeless Drone

Unread post by BergKatse » Mon Oct 10, 2016 12:00 pm

Well, if running LJ doesn't exactly bring financial rewards, I hope it's rewarding in some other way.

gaijinsmash
Fresh & Minty
Fresh & Minty

Unread post by gaijinsmash » Mon Oct 10, 2016 3:01 pm

It's very rewarding to see the debate. LJ used to be awesome and it's not the fault of the site creators that traffic/interest has waned. It's on you, you f#$#s because you have switched to other social media modes. Even though nothing beats the potential of these old-style boards for deep discussions. Twitter is a platform for those with 140=character brains. It is so infantile, whoa, yeah man! Check it out! Right on! Look at me! and that's all.

Buuuut....we all move on. It has been more than ten years since I last left Japan. These days I transit NRT as a visitor but it used to be my home airport. I visit the old haunts from time to time and I am reminded that nothing beats those gaijin-friendly izakayas where eikawa folk congregated and we could swap war stories.

Shawn
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Shawn » Mon Oct 10, 2016 4:07 pm

BergKatse wrote:Well, if running LJ doesn't exactly bring financial rewards, I hope it's rewarding in some other way.
I like to think that LJ was useful as NOVA and GEOS imploded. :thumbsup:

T.D.
Eikaiwa Hero
Eikaiwa Hero

Unread post by T.D. » Wed Nov 09, 2016 11:19 pm

LJ was awesome as a newbie. No sugarcoating. Just solid advice. Was great when seeking advice on eikaiwa's and staffing companies too.

YoruKamiTsuki

Unread post by YoruKamiTsuki » Fri Dec 09, 2016 7:35 pm

Hello Shawn,

Please back up the site, and host the result so I can download it for my viewing pleasure.
Not only does LJ contain a wealth of knowledge, it also has some of the most interesting Japan stories out there.

That, or kick some damn life into it, son.

Shawn
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Shawn » Mon Dec 12, 2016 12:48 pm

I have considered backing up the site and making it available for download, but there is a lot of private/personal information that would need to be scrubbed. If you want copies of stuff, nothing is stopping you from saving any of the pages.

BartenBotflyVB
Frustrated Realist
Frustrated Realist
Location: (i'm not barten, or Valve Bouncer, I'm just that botfly c**t)

Unread post by BartenBotflyVB » Tue Dec 27, 2016 10:27 am

Last edited by BartenBotflyVB on Wed Sep 06, 2017 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BergKatse
Hopeless Drone
Hopeless Drone

Unread post by BergKatse » Wed Feb 01, 2017 11:06 am

Signs of life at LJ, and all it took was Donald Trump.

allblacks

Unread post by allblacks » Wed Feb 01, 2017 11:11 am

Haha. Yup exactly. :cheers:

RalphWiggum
LJ Oracle
LJ Oracle

Unread post by RalphWiggum » Wed Feb 01, 2017 11:47 pm

It's good to see the old girl moving again!
Shit wank bollocks

In The Know
Cassandra
Cassandra

Unread post by In The Know » Thu Feb 02, 2017 12:05 am

BergKatse wrote:Signs of life at LJ, and all it took was Donald Trump.
Yes, the great uniter and healer. On here anyway. "Make Let's Japan Great Again," I say! :clap:

Shawn
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Shawn » Thu Feb 02, 2017 10:09 am

BergKatse wrote:Signs of life at LJ, and all it took was Donald Trump.
I've been radicalized. :cheers: