The Thread for the Sake of a Thread Thread

A forum for discussing topics not related to eikaiwa or Japan.
Forum rules
The basic forum rules are here :wink: . Refer to the BBCode Guide for information on using BBCode tags, plus this post about additional tags for embedding video.
exUsagiCoalMiner
Cassandra
Cassandra
Location: In the concrete jungle known as "the Kitchen of Japan"....

Re: The Thread for the Sake of a Thread Thread

Unread post by exUsagiCoalMiner » Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:30 pm

Wasn't there a famous Confucian saying: "Walk softly and carry a fat wad of cash"? :lol:
"But it's got sharp, pointy teeth!"

Wage Slave
Shockproof shit detector
Shockproof shit detector

Unread post by Wage Slave » Sun Feb 19, 2012 12:52 am

Don't hesitate to spoil the ship for a ha'porth of tar. You'll get credit for saving the ha'penny and someone else will get the blame for losing the ship.

Kuronama
Eikaiwa Hero
Eikaiwa Hero

Unread post by Kuronama » Sun Feb 19, 2012 7:30 am

steki47 wrote:
Wage Slave wrote:I don't think it does mesh at all. It's just some typically sloppy journalist writing the first thing that comes into his head. I just wondered if it was just me that thought that. :thumbsup:
Thanks for the link. Not very exciting. The guy probably meant "East Asian economies/societies", Confucian being a poor word choice.

Back to Confucian economics. Adam Smith wrote of both Christianity and capitalism, so can we call him a "Christian capitalist"?

Come to think of it, there were some folks at Harvard in the 70s who called themselves "Marxist biologists". The late Gould was part of that. At first that sounded as ridiculous as "Republican meteorologist", but now I wonder. I can see a synthesis of cultural values and economic systems, as a more all-encompassing weltanschauung. I'm willing to listen.

Religion and/or cultural values may play a role in the economy, but honestly, after just returning from a nice all inclusive vacation with the wife to Cuba, I can tell you that politics and government certainly play a huge part in determining economic success. Never have I been to a country in my travels where I havent seen at least one major American chain. I know why they're not there, but it was interesting nonetheless to witness. It was actually quite nice - at least for a western tourist such as myself, who, personally, wants to visit a new country partly to escape all the 7/11s, Subways, McDicks, Starbucks, KFC, etc.... Not one in sight anywhere. In fact, 'chains' are illegal. A Cuban can now own his or her own establishment; they just can't expand and open more than one. Some of the stories I heard from other tourists, as well as our guides, were, well... really quite something

EDIT TO ADD: My wife noticed a couple instances where she thought some of the local population in Cuba was discriminating against Asians (which I noticed as well and agreed with) - one of them being when we went for dinner at the Cuban restaurant at our resort, and we, as well as two other tables that had Asian people sitting there, waited close to two hours to get our full meals. They were good with refilling our wine glasses though at that place, and so naturally I ran my mouth and said to her, "now you know how most gaijins feel living in Japan" :wink: - people moving seats when a gaijin sits down, or simply refusing to sit in the only empty space on the train, long drawn-out stares, being stopped by police for absolutely no reason. Actually, following her observation, I went into a full-on rant for 10 minutes, making comparisons and using examples, so she knew full well that my years of complaining about discriminatory behaviour and bull shite while we lived in Japan, were indeed fact and not made up non-sense

MacGyver
Shockproof shit detector
Shockproof shit detector

Unread post by MacGyver » Mon Feb 20, 2012 7:56 pm

Langslave wrote:Just found out via Facebook that my old watering-hole back in the hometown is about to be closed down.
Was that the Cooby Tavern??? :rotfl: A shithole if there ever was one!
"Yous guys talk a lotta shit. I'm much more smarter than all a yous." - Samurai Jerk after being owned by the Let's Japan crew.

SamhainP8
Dronus japonica
Dronus japonica

Unread post by SamhainP8 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:05 am

I felt the same way when they closed the Playroom on the Gold Coast. I'd been going there since I was a 17 year old with a mouth full of braces. I'd often go there 4 nights a week and actually put aside a weekly budget from my pay just for the Playroom.

Thu - $1.00 drinks ($2 double bourbon and cokes).
Fri - $5.00 bourbon and coke slurpees. :drool:
Sat - The busiest night for picking up.
Sun - Band night.

The list of good memories from the place is very long and although it had a reputation of being a rough joint I hardly ever saw any fights there, unlike Surfers or Broadbeach where you'd see 3 or 4 fights and a glassing every weekend.

They knocked down the Playroom to turn it into a car park......... :cuss:
"Do you know how a falcon is trained, my dear? Her eyes are sewn shut. Blinded temporarily, she suffers the whims of her God patiently, until her will is submerged and she learns to serve - as your God taught and blinded you with crosses."

angryboy
Busdriver
Busdriver

Unread post by angryboy » Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:11 am

SamhainP8 wrote:I felt the same way when they closed the Playroom on the Gold Coast. I'd been going there since I was a 17 year old with a mouth full of braces. I'd often go there 4 nights a week and actually put aside a weekly budget from my pay just for the Playroom.

Thu - $1.00 drinks ($2 double bourbon and cokes).
Fri - $5.00 bourbon and coke slurpees. :drool:
Sat - The busiest night for picking up.
Sun - Band night.
Was that the one on the Tullebudgera inlet?

Before I moved the the GC I went up there to check the place out and i stayed in the caravan park across the road
so that was the first pub I saw there! They had a Doors tribute playing.
When I moved up there I went there a lot.Great fucking rock/hard rock/punk and alternative music, tons of women
and great bands.TISM,Spiderbait,Captain Sensible.The memory is a bit hazy but I saw a lot there.
You`re right about the fights though,lots of rough heads but safer than Surfers.And you could walk out at sunrise
and straight in the ocean for a skinny dip.Awesome memories.
[quote="valve-bouncer"]Fuck me, I hope to christ you are a troll because the possibility of someone so mind-numbingly boring as you walking amongst us gives me the fear.[/quote]

SamhainP8
Dronus japonica
Dronus japonica

Unread post by SamhainP8 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:26 am

Yep that's the place :thumbsup:
"Do you know how a falcon is trained, my dear? Her eyes are sewn shut. Blinded temporarily, she suffers the whims of her God patiently, until her will is submerged and she learns to serve - as your God taught and blinded you with crosses."

angryboy
Busdriver
Busdriver

Unread post by angryboy » Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:33 am

SamhainP8 wrote:Yep that's the place :thumbsup:
And the mo fos closed it!!Cunts!!
That and the Beer Garden (maybe a bit before your time) were the two best places for music.
I saw Def Rhyme at the Beer Garden before it became a gay nightclub (nicknamed the Queer Garden!).
[quote="valve-bouncer"]Fuck me, I hope to christ you are a troll because the possibility of someone so mind-numbingly boring as you walking amongst us gives me the fear.[/quote]

SamhainP8
Dronus japonica
Dronus japonica

Unread post by SamhainP8 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:58 am

angryboy wrote:
SamhainP8 wrote:Yep that's the place :thumbsup:
And the mo fos closed it!!Cunts!!
That and the Beer Garden (maybe a bit before your time) were the two best places for music.
I saw Def Rhyme at the Beer Garden before it became a gay nightclub (nicknamed the Queer Garden!).
I saw so many top Aus and international bands at the Playroom. Too many to list. I'll stop thinking about that list vs the carpark though or I'll start to tear up! :lol:
My other haunts were The Patch and Hill Street in Coolangatta, Joe's in Broadbeach and The Party in Surfers. Oh and also the Tugun Surf Club for cheap beer and a few games of pool straight after work before getting the bus up to the Playroom.

angryboy
Busdriver
Busdriver

Unread post by angryboy » Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:18 am

SamhainP8 wrote:, Joe's in Broadbeach
$5 roasts! Huge fishermans baskets! And cheap beer!
Fuck mate,we need to get together someday for a reminiscing session over a few frothies!

MacGyver
Shockproof shit detector
Shockproof shit detector

Unread post by MacGyver » Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:59 pm

Langslave wrote:Nah mate, The Kwinana, equally as salubrious. I grew up in Calista. Did have the misfortune of visiting The Cooby on a couple of occasions though and youre right, it was a fuckin dump. Pretty much a textbook example of everything that can be bad about an Aussie pub.
Fark that would have been back when Kwinana wasn't considered a suburb of Perth! Of course it was but what I mean is no one considered it to be cause it was so far away and no one really lived there. That's not commentary on yer age either, mind. Its only been in the last decade or so that I'm aware of that people can say they live/considering buying in Kwinana and not get a response like, "Kwinana?!?!?! Why the fark would you live there???" In fact I remember going fishing with my old man when I was a youngster in the early to mid-80s in Madora Bay Beach when that was considered a sleepy little town miles away from anywhere (and when there was tailor there but there isn't any more as they were over-fished.... :cry: ) When I was home a couple of weeks back, I saw a house for sale in the paper in that area going for over a million big ones! Holy farking shit! :jaw:
"Yous guys talk a lotta shit. I'm much more smarter than all a yous." - Samurai Jerk after being owned by the Let's Japan crew.

SamhainP8
Dronus japonica
Dronus japonica

Unread post by SamhainP8 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:27 pm

angryboy wrote:
SamhainP8 wrote:, Joe's in Broadbeach
$5 roasts! Huge fishermans baskets! And cheap beer!
Fuck mate,we need to get together someday for a reminiscing session over a few frothies!
Indeed we do, we’ll have to throw Wanks in the mix also! (no homo-reach-around pun intended :shock: ).

Us 17 year olds used to get to Joe’s early for a cheap feed and then go and hang out in the shitter during the restaurant / nightclub transition. I used to drink JUGS of bourbon and coke and I think they were only $10 or something like that. Busting moves on the dance floor trying to hook up with some slapper while chugging on my jug of B&C, classy! To get into the Playroom underage we used to head there straight after work and a quick change of clothes and play pool and sink a few beers in the front section when there was only barmaids about (who knew we were underage but apparently didn't give a fuck). The bouncers would rock up and start checking IDs at the entrance but because we were already in they didn't bother, they just took the cover fee and stamped us to get into the back club area.

Come to think of it, I only ever got asked for ID once during my underage rampage and that was on my 18th birthday night at the Playroom. I’d been going there for almost a year, so I’m sure someone stitched me up but I never found out who. I had to sit outside eating sausage rolls until midnight but it turned out in my favour as I got talking to some bird and we ended up down on the Tallebudgera sand a few hours later. :thumbsup:

sirwanksalot
Masturbateur
Masturbateur

Unread post by sirwanksalot » Tue Feb 21, 2012 2:31 pm

SamhainP8 wrote:
Indeed we do, we’ll have to throw Wanks in the mix also! (no homo-reach-around pun intended :shock: ).
Ha ha! Sam could jump in my shaggin wagin and we could meet half way in Shizuoka somewhere.

angryboy
Busdriver
Busdriver

Unread post by angryboy » Tue Feb 21, 2012 2:48 pm

sirwanksalot wrote:
SamhainP8 wrote:
Ha ha! Sam could jump in my shaggin wagin and we could meet half way in Shizuoka somewhere.
Unfortunately I`m a loooooong way away but I have a plan to visit another mate down that way sometime or other
so a beer would be on the cards.

MacGyver
Shockproof shit detector
Shockproof shit detector

Unread post by MacGyver » Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:26 pm

The freeway goes right the way through now so its acceptable to live there. :wink: And certainly makes it easy to get into the big smoke, that's for sure.

MacGyver
Shockproof shit detector
Shockproof shit detector

Unread post by MacGyver » Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:48 pm

Langslave wrote:Well I wouldnt recommend it, once a dump, always a dump I reckon. My brother sent me the "official" town calendar last year.....what a joke. Shots of the Alcoa stacks to impress out-of-towners? :rotfl:
Fark I thought it was getting rid of its industrial heritage but I guess not....

AsahiSupaSpy
Eikaiwa Hero
Eikaiwa Hero

Unread post by AsahiSupaSpy » Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:57 pm

Sorry for the morbid post but...
A co-worker of a girl I know hung himself in the storeroom of their office. A 50's office worker with a wife and kid in another prefecture. Those are the only details I know apart from the fact that, I assume after the body was removed, business carried on as normal for the rest of the day.
Do NOT arrest this man.

exUsagiCoalMiner
Cassandra
Cassandra

Unread post by exUsagiCoalMiner » Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:33 pm

That's a bit fucked up. (This should go in the gripes thread, but why are many Japanese so over-the-top selfish when it comes to offing yourself? Suicide is, IMO, the most selfish act one can do, but why compound it by doing it in the vicinity of others? What's wrong with doing it in the comfort of your own home?)

steki47

Unread post by steki47 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 4:22 pm

exUsagiCoalMiner wrote: (This should go in the gripes thread, but why are many Japanese so over-the-top selfish when it comes to offing yourself? Suicide is, IMO, the most selfish act one can do, but why compound it by doing it in the vicinity of others? What's wrong with doing it in the comfort of your own home?)
I always thought it was odd that the Japanese, who tend to be a bit introverted, would choose such disgustingly extroverted methods and locations for suicide. Westerners generally off themselves in private.

Kuronama
Eikaiwa Hero
Eikaiwa Hero

Unread post by Kuronama » Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:03 pm

steki47 wrote:
exUsagiCoalMiner wrote: (This should go in the gripes thread, but why are many Japanese so over-the-top selfish when it comes to offing yourself? Suicide is, IMO, the most selfish act one can do, but why compound it by doing it in the vicinity of others? What's wrong with doing it in the comfort of your own home?)
I always thought it was odd that the Japanese, who tend to be a bit introverted, would choose such disgustingly extroverted methods and locations for suicide. Westerners generally off themselves in private.

Here's my two cents on that. They wanna go out with a bang - or in this case, with a hang (ok, that was bad). It's their final act of passive-agressive behaviour. It's their way of sticking it to society and probably their company by saying , "fuck you for all those transfers around Japan, the pay cut, the 14 hour days, the drinking sessions with my power trippin senpai" yada, yada, yada... Does anyone really care? Not really. Like people living in the "burbs" always trying to maintain a certain boring image of perfect superficial conformity (just watched American Beauty with the wife last night on Bravo :) ), though it's absolutely meaningless and deep down inside I think the Zomburbians know this

angryboy
Busdriver
Busdriver

Unread post by angryboy » Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:45 pm

Not to glorify road rage but you can clearly see the guy getting the living suitcase pounded out
of him is a body builder.According to the radio report he got out thinking he would kill this
guy and got a lesson.
The other guy is apparently in his 50`s.Obviously got some skills!

http://www.triplem.com.au/sydney/shows/ ... -fvx1.html

MacGyver
Shockproof shit detector
Shockproof shit detector

Unread post by MacGyver » Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:40 am

Just goes to show size isn't everything. And I dunno if the other bloke has skills or not. Hard to do anything when you are being showered by punches! Just 2 angry dickwads evidently....

steki47

Re: Your Advice Fellow LJers?

Unread post by steki47 » Sun Mar 25, 2012 12:31 pm

Langslave wrote:The single biggest problem is the manager who runs the place like her own personal fiefdom.
I worked at two different eikaiwas that had female owners like the above. My question-can you get a better job or do you just want a different job? Better the devil you know, etc. In any case, hope things go well for you!

steki47

Re: Your Advice fellow LJers?

Unread post by steki47 » Sun Mar 25, 2012 1:23 pm

Langslave wrote:Thanks steki, to be honest I think at the mo even just different would be OK for a while. As I said though, Im hoping to have a break for a month as Im worn out. Most places wouldve no doubt got their April intakes now anyway. But as we all know, some people leave very quickly and a lot of places seem to need to replace people at all times of the year. So Im aiming at end of May/start of June for a serious new job.
There is of course this urban legend in Japan about how bad it is to have a female boss. I had almost all female branch managers at Nova and most of them were OK. This one however is a whole different story. Two of the people at this place used to work in another place together, their stories about the female manager there are downright scary.
-Some ALT contracts start in May, if that interests you.

-Speaking of taking a break, I quit my last eikaiwa gig in February and started my ALT gig in mid-April. 6 weeks to visit Brisbane for two weeks and generally loaf around the house here.

-My two former bosses, both women, ran schools that had horrible reputations, broke labor laws and were pretty trigger happy when it came to firing teachers. I don't want to get too sexist here, but...

-My last point: different job. My friend quit a job at a private HS that came with a nice salary for a dispatch ALT gig. The cut in pay corresponded with a huge cut in responsibility. He seems overall happy with his decision.

exUsagiCoalMiner
Cassandra
Cassandra

Unread post by exUsagiCoalMiner » Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:23 pm

Can't believe I'm suggesting it, but you could always use Gaba as a holdover until you find something better. If there is a Gaba in your area. Since the students have to pay so much, a majority of them are actually there to learn English and not fuck around. Sadly/Surprisingly, it's not actually that bad - depending on your manager, I guess.
But good luck in whatever you do.
I forget where you're located, but see if you have something like the Kansai Flea Market. Most people disregard it as only a rag for sayonara sales, but I've found a few pretty good gigs in their employment section.

Mogura
Porn Lord
Porn Lord

Unread post by Mogura » Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:32 am

Langslave wrote:They, also, bend and break the LSB laws as, and when they see fit. Her Majesty probably thinks none of us aware of them, but perhaps, as a little surprise, when I hand in my notice, Ill also give her a list of the ones theyve mangled over the years.
I actually did this once when I resigned from a job ("Dear XXX, I hereby resign my post as instructor, effective immediately, for reasons of unresolved incidents resulting in breach of contract/violation of the Labor Standards Law, as detailed below:...")

I laid out 6 the 6 incidents we had been in dispute over (and clearly the company was in the wrong). Let me tell you, presenting them with a resignation letter like that was like pissing on a hornet's nest. It infuriated them. They kept demanding that I "rewrite" it, and in the rewritten version, I ask for permission to resign, rather than making it in an announcement format. I flat-out refused, which further pissed them off. I wish I could say what there reaction was when I dropped off copies of my resignation letter, contract, and more details of their illegal actions and embezzlement (yep, they were up to that as well) at my local labor standards office, but by then I had already washed my hands of the matter and was already on the job at my new workplace. I did have to change my number though, due to those assholes harrassing me, demanding payment for "damages," threatening to sue, etc.
Langslave wrote:Yes Gabas in the To Consider box as a tide-me-over ex, though I fear I may not be young and catwalk enough for them. I went there for an interview post-Nova and all the teachers I saw there looked liked (they thought) they were modelling this years fashion.
I think if you go in looking professional (suit & tie) and sport an air of confidence you should be fine. The young and catwalk are probably a chore to train, not to mention there is always a higher element of risk with the FOTP types...
Lick my troll, goosh... :bird:

allblacks

Unread post by allblacks » Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:46 pm

That was gutsy Mogs. I wish I did that to a bunch of CUNTS in Nagano I once worked for. That said I did make their life miserable by leaving like I did.

It would suck to have to change your phone number though. Couldnt you just block their numbers? Thats what I do now on my phone. It takes about 2 seconds to do it too!

Mogura
Porn Lord
Porn Lord

Unread post by Mogura » Mon Mar 26, 2012 4:09 pm

allblacks wrote:That was gutsy Mogs. I wish I did that to a bunch of CUNTS in Nagano I once worked for. That said I did make their life miserable by leaving like I did.
I wouldn't call what I did gutsy. The org I was working for was doing illegal shit that just wouldn't fly with me, so I stood up for/asserted myself when the situations presented, made an exit plan (looked for another job), reported them to the LSO to recover lost monies/prevent future abuses (they proved more useless than tits on a nun, BTW), and moved on when the first decent offer was made.

I don't know what it is, but foreigners tend to become seriously pussified when they come to Japan (I'm saying this in general--not directed at anyone personally). Anyway, the way I see it, what I did wasn't bold or courageous. Just common sense, what had to be done.
allblacks wrote:It would suck to have to change your phone number though. Couldnt you just block their numbers? Thats what I do now on my phone. It takes about 2 seconds to do it too!
Actually, it worked out better in the end. My new company was on my ass to switch to AU (since my phone at the time was practically worthless inside a steel-frame building), and they sweetened the deal by offering to pay for part of it. Even if they didn't pay, I feel it was a good move for sake of peace of mind--plus, if I blocked one number, they would just hop on another extension and continue with the harrassment.

Mogura
Porn Lord
Porn Lord

Unread post by Mogura » Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:25 am

Langslave wrote:Theres a problem with me throwing their shit back in their face though Mogs. As I think I told you in the PMs, without asking or telling me, they got my missus to sign some bollocks making her "guarantor" for me as an employee ensuring I wouldnt make any trouble. Unfortunately with her condition the way it is at present, shes in no state to have to deal with any harrassment from them. Even if I dont point out their infringements I suspect theyll contact her anyway.
There is throwing shit back in their face for the sake of drama (which I don't recommend because... what's the point?), and then there's throwing shit back in their face when they're clearly in the legal or moral wrong. And don't back down if they try to intimidate you.

As for your missus, you could start looking now for options to mitigate the risks of whatever they could conceivably do. Talk to a professional lawyer for 5,000 yen for 30 minutes to find out if they have a legal leg to stand on in this "guarantor" agreement. Have your missus send them a letter (certified) terminating the guarantorship. Have her change her phone number, e-mail address, too, if they have that.

That leaves them only the option of coming to her home to harrass her, which they probably won't do. A lot of these companies--their bark is worse than their bite (have you heard any stories where they actually harrassed someone?). Hell, you could even join a union and let them harrass your company, completely turning the tables on the situation.

Level3 is also good at coming up with ways of mitigating this type of shit, so perhaps he'll chime in with some advice as well.

Yes, asserting oneself takes a little legwork (getting things done, exploring options), self-education (knowing applicable laws and regulartions), and forward-thinking (risk management), but in the long run, I think it's worth it. Of course, I cannot tell you what to do. I'm just pointing out the fact that you have more options than you think. You mentioned that you were up for contract renewal. Not renewing would be a more "orderly" way of quitting a job. Anyway, you have options...

Mogura
Porn Lord
Porn Lord

Unread post by Mogura » Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:03 pm

Langslave wrote:I was considering going the not re-signing route, but they always get around to the new contracts late, and the new term will be starting soon. On the one hand I dont necessarily want to piss them off too much, but the boss is so...cant even think of an apt description right now...but shell take it bad no matter when I do it. One problem is, she feels she is the school, and the school is her.
I'm not quite following. You would rather renew your contract for an additional year, and then turn around and break the contract by resigning, as opposed to not renewing altogether (which is your prerogative, if you really want to quit)? Or did you have a change of heart and decided that you want to continue working there? :huh: