gentlemens relish

A forum for discussing topics not related to eikaiwa or Japan.
Forum rules
The basic forum rules are here :wink: . Refer to the BBCode Guide for information on using BBCode tags, plus this post about additional tags for embedding video.
steki47

Re: gentlemens relish

Unread post by steki47 » Tue Jun 22, 2010 12:22 pm

Shawn wrote:Note: I've never been in a fight.
Most martial arts teachers tell their students to avoid fighting. Maybe for legal reasons, but also common sense. A person picking a fight in a bar is probably an idiot with nothing to lose. Can we say the same?

exUsagiCoalMiner
Cassandra
Cassandra
Location: In the concrete jungle known as "the Kitchen of Japan"....

Unread post by exUsagiCoalMiner » Tue Jun 22, 2010 1:01 pm

As said already, anything goes - short of death or maiming (and then it still depends on what the other guy did). Knee and elbow joints are the best targets for quickly ending a fight. Torque a guy's knee and knee him in the face as he goes down to grab, fight done.
If you're more of a puncher, bent arm throws with your elbow parallel to your fist is the best way to go. If you miss the solid shot with your fist, you follow through with the elbow.

And, apparently, it only takes ~10lbs (~5kg) of pressure to rip off a human ear... :bye:
"But it's got sharp, pointy teeth!"

SamhainP8
Dronus japonica
Dronus japonica

Unread post by SamhainP8 » Tue Jun 22, 2010 1:20 pm

If you're toe-to-toe a front kick to the weighted knee with a jab to the nose, or if they are coming straight at you a passing to the side thumb first chop to the throat. Nothing ever goes to plan though, the last person I throat chopped smacked me under the eye with a bourbon glass on his way down, luckily it didn't break but it still split me up good.
"Do you know how a falcon is trained, my dear? Her eyes are sewn shut. Blinded temporarily, she suffers the whims of her God patiently, until her will is submerged and she learns to serve - as your God taught and blinded you with crosses."

steki47

Unread post by steki47 » Tue Jun 22, 2010 1:44 pm

The last non-dojo fight I had involved a stupid drunk lunging at me with both arms up and open. I think he was trying to swing a punch, but I grabbed his arm and chest-butted him out of the bar. He wouldn't give up and moved at me again and so I sunk the 4D Cell Maglite straight down across his forehead. Down and out.

Oh, I was the bouncer at a punk bar in Long Beach for 2-3 months. I think that was my only altercation there.

sambo-
Eikaiwa Hero
Eikaiwa Hero

Unread post by sambo- » Tue Jun 22, 2010 3:00 pm

Spastic_Tactician wrote:Something I've been dying to get an answer to from a broad spectrum of guys: If you find yourself in a situation where you have to fight some guy on the street, in a pub, what have you... What are the rules to the fight?
Honestly unless you're doing some form of sport/martial art there are no "rules" I'd say. Most street brawls are scrappy with very little technique anyhow. Whatever the best way of ending the fight quickest would be the better route. Headbutt to the nose, elbow, knee to the face, kick to the balls. If you've done some form of grapple based fighting too thats good. A well placed throw usually does the trick, ends the fight kinda quick. Obviously don't try to perminantly damage the person (unless they were trying to inflict some heavy damage on you, or you felt that maybe your life was in danger.) Thankfully people don't really resort to fisty cuffs over here though. Something I don't miss about home so much. Also If you're up against a group of people I'd say just leg it, seriously!..........Unless you're this guy

exUsagiCoalMiner wrote:
And, apparently, it only takes ~10lbs (~5kg) of pressure to rip off a human ear... :bye:
LMFAO :rotfl:
The idle man does not know what it is to enjoy rest, for he has not earned it

InTheColdLightOfDay
9 miles of bad road
9 miles of bad road

Unread post by InTheColdLightOfDay » Tue Jun 22, 2010 4:28 pm

sambo- wrote:Most street brawls are scrappy with very little technique anyhow.
Yup, that's what i was going to say. You can think about it and plan it out as much as you want, but unless you've had some kind of specific training, as soon as something kicks off it's all going to go out the window.
Coming from quite a rural area there were times when I've just had to walk away. It'd be easy to beat the crap out of one local chav/ned/whatever the local terminology is, but the problem is, it wouldn't end there. Next time I was out the same guy would be there with 4 or 5 of his mates in tow, or you'd get up one morning and find your car/house has been vandalised.
Each monkeys has different face. It's very difficult to distinguish monkey's face, like we can't memorize foreigner's face.

angryboy
Busdriver
Busdriver

Unread post by angryboy » Tue Jun 22, 2010 9:36 pm

I pretty much agree with everyone else,especially if you decline to fight and can`t get out of it.
A knee/kick to the nuts,eye gouging,hair pulling,throat chopping are all a go.
[quote="valve-bouncer"]Fuck me, I hope to christ you are a troll because the possibility of someone so mind-numbingly boring as you walking amongst us gives me the fear.[/quote]

Spastic_Tactician
Hopeless Drone
Hopeless Drone

Unread post by Spastic_Tactician » Wed Jun 23, 2010 10:20 am

My first thought is to agree with many of the comments here. Upon reflection, however, I recognise that the dynamics at work are much more complex than they seem at first.
If some clown starts a fight and I crush his windpipe or cripple his knee, it is very possible that my reaction was a little over the top. Sure, I was just trying to end the fracas quickly and get out of the situation intact, but it may be that this guy was just trying to give me a smack or two to convince his friends that he's a tough guy. It has been my experience that most douchebags who start fights aren't out to do any serious injury, just to assert their dominance or impress some bimbo. This is not to say that they don't ever inflict serious harm, only that they don't really intend to. The fact that these guys are usually too drunk or too stupid to recognise the possible consequences of their actions may not be sufficient reason to rip their ears off in every case.
I have no problems with breaking an aggressive morons nose for him, or even putting out a tooth or two, but I feel somewhat hesitant to pull out any "How to really hurt a guy" tricks I may know for every dipshit who raises a fist.
This, however, can lead to situations where my response might not be strong enough to repel the 'roid raging troglodyte who decides he doesn't like my face. This is when people get hurt. A jab to the nose just makes this guy angrier whereas the aforementioned crushed windpipe might save my life.
To me, each situation requires a (very fast) judgment call as to the level of threat actually posed. If the threat is negligible: slap him around and be on your way. Moderate: put up yer dukes and fight like a cowboy. Serious: pull out all the stops and hurt him before he has the chance to hurt you. Chuck Norris: whimper like a Russian hockey player and go fetal, praying for a speedy journey to the afterlife.
Making the wrong judgment can lead to all sorts of problems. Legal, moral and medical consequences are joined here by the social stigma of either being the guy who got brutalised without putting up a fight or of being a bloodthirsty, ear ripping, throat chopping, gonad stomping, knee smashing asshole.
"Finally, the last step to build the robot is you should screw it. It needs a lot of screwing. Especially in the legs and neck."
-Quote from first year high school English exam

exUsagiCoalMiner
Cassandra
Cassandra

Unread post by exUsagiCoalMiner » Wed Jun 23, 2010 11:09 am

Spastic_Tactician wrote:Making the wrong judgment can lead to all sorts of problems. Legal, moral and medical consequences are joined here by the social stigma of either being the guy who got brutalised without putting up a fight or of being a bloodthirsty, ear ripping, throat chopping, gonad stomping, knee smashing asshole.
Always err on the side of caution - for you. I'd rather be the asshole than the bloody, pulped person.

MacGyver
Shockproof shit detector
Shockproof shit detector

Unread post by MacGyver » Wed Jun 23, 2010 11:19 am

Apparently its only me that the question is retarded in the first place. I have known more than a few (foreign) blokes who've gotten arrested over the years for fighting and never has the end result been good for them, regardless of who started the fight (I've heard stories that as long as you don't start the fight you're golden. That's BS). One thing about home I don't miss is the farkwits who seem to think they are big men and need to prove it.
"Yous guys talk a lotta shit. I'm much more smarter than all a yous." - Samurai Jerk after being owned by the Let's Japan crew.

exUsagiCoalMiner
Cassandra
Cassandra

Unread post by exUsagiCoalMiner » Wed Jun 23, 2010 2:06 pm

MacGyver wrote:(I've heard stories that as long as you don't start the fight you're golden. That's BS).
:agree: In Japan, it seems to be "He who is bigger is always at fault".

Spastic_Tactician
Hopeless Drone
Hopeless Drone

Unread post by Spastic_Tactician » Wed Jun 23, 2010 2:30 pm

MacGyver wrote:Apparently its only me that the question is retarded in the first place. I have known more than a few (foreign) blokes who've gotten arrested over the years for fighting and never has the end result been good for them, regardless of who started the fight (I've heard stories that as long as you don't start the fight you're golden. That's BS).
The question is not specifically related to Japan.
The question may be retarded for you, but you may be the type of guy that dickheads don't choose to try to start fights with. I, however, am a big man that fuckwits have always wanted to test their mettle against. I am not an aggressive asshole, so they often think they'll be able to kick some big man ass without too much trouble and move on as king of the hill. This has put me in a LOT of situations where I either have to talk my way out of fighting (Which I am rather accomplished at) or square up.
If you are not the type to get accosted, hooray for you. If you spend all of your time avoiding conflict or surrounding yourself with peaceniks in tye dye and dreadlocks... I guess the choice is yours...
The reason these guys are still around picking fights is because they've yet to have someone feed them their own teeth yet. This is not to suggest that I'm the one to do it, but I will certainly applaud the guy who does. Simply running away every time some asshat tries to start something or screaming for help while you get thumped is what gives these cretins the nuts to keep it up.
"Finally, the last step to build the robot is you should screw it. It needs a lot of screwing. Especially in the legs and neck."

katamari
Eikaiwa Hero
Eikaiwa Hero

Unread post by katamari » Wed Jun 23, 2010 10:36 pm

run away if you can. if not, boot to the plums.it might mean you make the first move, but if someones in your face id rather kick them in the balls and run away than get headbutted and stabbed.
How do I get out of this chickenshit outfit?

exUsagiCoalMiner
Cassandra
Cassandra

Unread post by exUsagiCoalMiner » Wed Jun 23, 2010 11:02 pm

katamari wrote:run away if you can. if not, boot to the plums.it might mean you make the first move, but if someones in your face id rather kick them in the balls and run away than get headbutted and stabbed.
All fine and dandy until you come upon a "mutant" like me. The two times I've been in a fight and got a ball shot, it put me into a "Hulk Rage" instead of immediate pain. Granted, my boys punished me after the adrenaline wore off, but still...

InTheColdLightOfDay
9 miles of bad road
9 miles of bad road

Unread post by InTheColdLightOfDay » Thu Jun 24, 2010 1:28 am

exUsagiCoalMiner wrote:The two times I've been in a fight and got a ball shot, it put me into a "Hulk Rage"
Which Hulk? Incredible or Hogan?
Each monkeys has different face. It's very difficult to distinguish monkey's face, like we can't memorize foreigner's face.

SamhainP8
Dronus japonica
Dronus japonica

Unread post by SamhainP8 » Thu Jun 24, 2010 5:21 am

Spastic_Tactician wrote:but it may be that this guy was just trying to give me a smack or two to convince his friends that he's a tough guy.
In this day and age it’s more than likely said ‘show off’s’ mates would quickly join in and kick the shit out of you, giving you plenty of time to reflect on your bad call in hospital or in your grave.
"Do you know how a falcon is trained, my dear? Her eyes are sewn shut. Blinded temporarily, she suffers the whims of her God patiently, until her will is submerged and she learns to serve - as your God taught and blinded you with crosses."

exUsagiCoalMiner
Cassandra
Cassandra

Unread post by exUsagiCoalMiner » Thu Jun 24, 2010 8:55 am

InTheColdLightOfDay wrote:
exUsagiCoalMiner wrote:The two times I've been in a fight and got a ball shot, it put me into a "Hulk Rage"
Which Hulk? Incredible or Hogan?
Ferrigno (sp?), so a little of both, I guess! :P

MacGyver
Shockproof shit detector
Shockproof shit detector

Unread post by MacGyver » Thu Jun 24, 2010 1:35 pm

Spastic_Tactician wrote:I, however, am a big man that fuckwits have always wanted to test their mettle against.
Is 189cm (about 6' 2") and a shade over 100kgs big enough for you?

Yeah back home enough dickheads wanted to have a crack (worth noting I've been in Japan since '99 and mostly not had to deal with this crap) but its just not worth it. Anything can happen and you can end up permanently maimed or worse, dead. And I've heard you're a long time dead. :wink: So when faced with a dickhead who wants to have a scrap, I talk them down or extricate myself from the situation. Must work cause I've not been involved in a scrap since I was 16 (which while I didn't start it or even look for it, I didn't exactly back down and gave an older and bigger bloke, who was with his mates, lip and I seriously could have died. I was extremely lucky. I learnt my lesson from that). I just don't see the point. It doesn't prove anything, except that those involved are morons. And I'm referring to a fight with no weapons. What happens if someone draws a knife or a gun?

Feel free to call me a pussy (and by the sounds of it you will but that'd say more about you than me) but if you want to talk hypothetically, or even real life, then go for it. I've got nothing to prove and far, far too much to lose.

Edited: Sorry missed this:
Sam wrote:In this day and age it’s more than likely said ‘show off’s’ mates would quickly join in and kick the shit out of you, giving you plenty of time to reflect on your bad call in hospital or in your grave.
Yep. Hasn't there been a few incidents recently where this exact act has happened in Oz? One was, in all places, HJs yeah? Broken record time: not worth it.
"Yous guys talk a lotta shit. I'm much more smarter than all a yous." - Samurai Jerk after being owned by the Let's Japan crew.

katamari
Eikaiwa Hero
Eikaiwa Hero

Unread post by katamari » Thu Jun 24, 2010 6:30 pm

exUsagiCoalMiner wrote:
katamari wrote:run away if you can. if not, boot to the plums.it might mean you make the first move, but if someones in your face id rather kick them in the balls and run away than get headbutted and stabbed.
All fine and dandy until you come upon a "mutant" like me. The two times I've been in a fight and got a ball shot, it put me into a "Hulk Rage" instead of immediate pain. Granted, my boys punished me after the adrenaline wore off, but still...
they probably missed...( small genitals insult )
How do I get out of this chickenshit outfit?

exUsagiCoalMiner
Cassandra
Cassandra

Unread post by exUsagiCoalMiner » Thu Jun 24, 2010 8:21 pm

katamari wrote:they probably missed...( small genitals insult )
:roll:

:)

Spastic_Tactician
Hopeless Drone
Hopeless Drone

Unread post by Spastic_Tactician » Fri Jun 25, 2010 1:41 pm

[/quote]
Is 189cm (about 6' 2") and a shade over 100kgs big enough for you?

Yeah back home enough dickheads wanted to have a crack (worth noting I've been in Japan since '99 and mostly not had to deal with this crap) but its just not worth it. Anything can happen and you can end up permanently maimed or worse, dead. And I've heard you're a long time dead. :wink: So when faced with a dickhead who wants to have a scrap, I talk them down or extricate myself from the situation. Must work cause I've not been involved in a scrap since I was 16 (which while I didn't start it or even look for it, I didn't exactly back down and gave an older and bigger bloke, who was with his mates, lip and I seriously could have died. I was extremely lucky. I learnt my lesson from that). I just don't see the point. It doesn't prove anything, except that those involved are morons. And I'm referring to a fight with no weapons. What happens if someone draws a knife or a gun?

Feel free to call me a pussy (and by the sounds of it you will but that'd say more about you than me) but if you want to talk hypothetically, or even real life, then go for it. I've got nothing to prove and far, far too much to lose.

[/quote]

I'm in absolute agreement with you. If the fight can be avoided, it should be. If you can't talk your way out of it or bluff your way out of it, then look for a way to run. The situations I'm talking about are those in which these options are not viable. I am very good at avoiding fights. I worked for six years as a bouncer and only fought twice. What made me good at the job was convincing people NOT to fight. I have carried that skill out of the workplace and into life in general and it has served me well. That being said, it would be foolish to assume that one can avoid every fight and dangerous to continue trying once it has become obvious that you can't. Having some idea of how you will proceed in this situation is prudent.
The problem lies in the fact that not all unavoidable fights contain the same amount of peril or call for the same response. It's a tricky judgment call that can lead to everything from embarrassment to serious injury to social rejection to incarceration.
On top of all that... There are just some fuckers out there who need a comeuppance. Without someone to put these dicks on their asses once in a while, they just keep growing into bigger and bigger blemishes on society.

exUsagiCoalMiner
Cassandra
Cassandra

Unread post by exUsagiCoalMiner » Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:29 pm

OK, this is some trippy shit. Super cool, though. Still can't figure out if the guy is actually going that slowly or if it was shot in SloMo....

Shawn
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: At Mitch & Murray, holding on to the good leads and preparing sets of steak knives

Unread post by Shawn » Sat Jul 03, 2010 9:03 am

The 100 Greatest Movie Insults in 10 Minutes.
Are you able to name the movies?

allblacks

Unread post by allblacks » Sat Jul 03, 2010 9:49 am

0’00 - Roxanne, Adventures of Priscilla Queen of the Desert, Gleaming the Cube, The Princess Bride, A Fish Called Wanda, Star Wars, The Wizard of Oz, Casino, Three Amigos, A Clockwork Orange
1’05 - Dolemite, Glengarry Glen Ross, Bad Santa, The Witches of Eastwick, The Big Lebowski, In Bruges, Full Metal Jacket, There Will Be Blood
2’05 - Toy Story, Casablanca

exUsagiCoalMiner
Cassandra
Cassandra

Unread post by exUsagiCoalMiner » Sat Jul 03, 2010 11:14 am

Betty White has the best clip in that. "If I had a dick, this is where I'd tell you to suck it." Funny in and of itself, but epic coming from her.

exUsagiCoalMiner
Cassandra
Cassandra

Unread post by exUsagiCoalMiner » Sat Jul 03, 2010 11:16 am

allblacks wrote:0’00 - Roxanne, Adventures of Priscilla Queen of the Desert, Gleaming the Cube, The Princess Bride, A Fish Called Wanda, Star Wars, The Wizard of Oz, Casino, Three Amigos, A Clockwork Orange
1’05 - Dolemite, Glengarry Glen Ross, Bad Santa, The Witches of Eastwick, The Big Lebowski, In Bruges, Full Metal Jacket, There Will Be Blood
2’05 - Toy Story, Casablanca
Glengarry is in there twice. Full Metal Jacket 3 times.
(And I'm not insulting your intelligence, ABs, but which SW was it? :P )

naynay
Fresh & Minty
Fresh & Minty

Unread post by naynay » Sat Jul 03, 2010 12:38 pm

So cathartic! Can't believe how much stress was gone after watching this. I guess all the great movies have all the great disses. What movie was "You're a canteloupe!" from. Out of context it's pretty funny.

I forget how scary Al Pacino is. He and Daniel Day Lewis gave me the chills.

steki47

Unread post by steki47 » Sat Jul 03, 2010 12:45 pm

naynay wrote: What movie was "You're a canteloupe!" from. Out of context it's pretty funny.
"True Romance". Christopher Walken said that to Dennis Hopper. He says the line around 4:28.

naynay
Fresh & Minty
Fresh & Minty

Unread post by naynay » Sat Jul 03, 2010 12:54 pm

Oh! That's right!!!
Thanks! I don't remember the movie so well since I had my eyes closed for most of it.
Yes, I am a wimp.

steki47

Unread post by steki47 » Sat Jul 03, 2010 1:46 pm

It's one of my favorite guy movies from the early 90s. Walken, Kilmer, Oldman, Gandolfini, Hopper-who else? Oh yeah, Slater, Arquette, that dork from Perfect Strangers.