The President Trump Thread

A forum for discussing topics not related to eikaiwa or Japan.
Forum rules
The basic forum rules are here :wink: . Refer to the BBCode Guide for information on using BBCode tags, plus this post about additional tags for embedding video.
Shawn
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: At Mitch & Murray, holding on to the good leads and preparing sets of steak knives

Re: The President Trump Thread

Unread post by Shawn » Tue Feb 14, 2017 3:58 pm

senseiman wrote:I am actually fine with them letting Miller on the air - if this administration is going to act in a fascist, authoritarian way then what better way to warn the public than by letting these idiots make themselves look bad by parroting fascist leaders. Can't wait to see who will play Miller in the inevitable SNL skit.
Fair enough, but this only works if the media pushes back and flat out calls a lie a lie. They gave Trump a free ride with his BS during the election and look what happened. Trump's buddies don't have a sense of shame, so letting them stay outrageous things is what they want.

As for Miller, SNL has to cast a woman. I hear Rosie O'Donnell is up for playing Bannon. :D

In The Know
Cassandra
Cassandra

Unread post by In The Know » Wed Feb 15, 2017 12:17 am

Shawn wrote:he's just resigned[/url] over his contact with Russia.
Damn! And his 2,000 business cards just arrived from the printers too! His name plaque on the office door was just put on yesterday!

Well, one Trump post resignation down, several more to go. And they will. Seriously, other than his wife-daughter, who could work for this guy for very long?

Speaking of which... this story is all over the place. Photo of Ivanka Trump sitting at the President's desk in the Oval Office yesterday with Trudeau and Trump standing to either side.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/photo-of-iv ... -eyebrows/
My blog of mocking satire which targets Kim Jong-un and his evil regime: https://reedakted.blogspot.com

Shawn
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: At Mitch & Murray, holding on to the good leads and preparing sets of steak knives

Unread post by Shawn » Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:16 am

In The Know wrote:Damn! And his 2,000 business cards just arrived from the printers too! His name plaque on the office door was just put on yesterday!

Well, one Trump post resignation down, several more to go. And they will. Seriously, other than his wife-daughter, who could work for this guy for very long?
Not even a month in and the administration is a hot mess. The talk now is that Trump new about or ordered Flynn to talk to Russia. If that's the case, then it might be an impeachable offense. Flynn had to fall on his sword to protect the president.
In The Know wrote:Speaking of which... this story is all over the place. Photo of Ivanka Trump sitting at the President's desk in the Oval Office yesterday with Trudeau and Trump standing to either side.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/photo-of-iv ... -eyebrows/
She really has no business being there, but did the CBS news story really end with the picture of a kid at the desk? :shock: I'm sure many kids have sat in the Oval Office, but they were not there to greet and meet with foreign leaders on official visits. :roll:

Shawn
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Shawn » Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:04 am

Dumber than a sack of doorknobs.

sirwanksalot
Masturbateur
Masturbateur

Unread post by sirwanksalot » Wed Feb 15, 2017 12:53 pm

Who knows where any of this is going...We are all in for a bumpy ride though. Here's Dan Rather's take..

Watergate is the biggest political scandal of my lifetime, until maybe now. It was the closest we came to a debilitating Constitutional crisis, until maybe now. On a 10 scale of armageddon for our form of government, I would put Watergate at a 9. This Russia scandal is currently somewhere around a 5 or 6, in my opinion, but it is cascading in intensity seemingly by the hour. And we may look back and see, in the end, that it is at least as big as Watergate. It may become the measure by which all future scandals are judged. It has all the necessary ingredients, and that is chilling.
When we look back at Watergate, we remember the end of the Nixon Presidency. It came with an avalanche, but for most of the time my fellow reporters and I were chasing down the story as it rumbled along with a low-grade intensity. We never were quite sure how much we would find out about what really happened. In the end, the truth emerged into the light, and President Nixon descended into infamy.
This Russia story started out with an avalanche and where we go from here no one really knows. Each piece of news demands new questions. We are still less than a month into the Trump Presidency, and many are asking that question made famous by Tennessee Senator Howard Baker those many years ago: "What did the President know, and when did he know it?" New reporting suggests that Mr. Trump knew for weeks. We can all remember the General Michael Flynn's speech from the Republican National Convention - "Lock her up!" in regards to Hillary Clinton. If Hillary Clinton had done one tenth of what Mr. Flynn had done, she likely would be in jail. And it isn't just Mr. Flynn, how far does this go?
The White House has no credibility on this issue. Their spigot of lies - can't we finally all agree to call them lies - long ago lost them any semblance of credibility. I would also extend that to the Republican Congress, who has excused away the Trump Administration's assertions for far too long.
We need an independent investigation. Damn the lies, full throttle forward on the truth. If a scriptwriter had approached Hollywood with what we are witnessing, he or she would probably have been told it was way too far-fetched for even a summer blockbuster. But this is not fiction. It is real and it is serious. Deadly serious. We deserve answers and those who are complicit in this scandal need to feel the full force of justice.
https://www.facebook.com/theDanRather/p ... 5383810716

Shawn
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Shawn » Wed Feb 15, 2017 2:25 pm

sirwanksalot wrote:Who knows where any of this is going...We are all in for a bumpy ride though. Here's Dan Rather's take..
Oh my, it looks like it's much worse.
But the intercepts alarmed American intelligence and law enforcement agencies, in part because of the amount of contact that was occurring while Mr. Trump was speaking glowingly about the Russian president, Vladimir V. Putin. At one point last summer, Mr. Trump said at a campaign event that he hoped Russian intelligence services had stolen Hillary Clinton’s emails and would make them public.

The officials said the intercepted communications were not limited to Trump campaign officials, and included other associates of Mr. Trump. On the Russian side, the contacts also included members of the Russian government outside of the intelligence services, the officials said. All of the current and former officials spoke on the condition of anonymity because the continuing investigation is classified.
The Trump campaign had multiple contacts with Russian officials. Is it too soon to roll out the T-word?

In The Know
Cassandra
Cassandra

Unread post by In The Know » Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:58 pm

Shawn wrote:The Trump campaign had multiple contacts with Russian officials. Is it too soon to roll out the T-word?
If it turns out Trump ordered 'Flynngazi' to begin negotiations while Obama was still in office, then Flynn is a patsy and sap for not throwing Trump under the bus now. Flynn's career is over anyway. In fact, he was radioactive and hated in D.C. when Trump plucked him from the intel community to be his National Security Advisor. Resign to save Trump's ass (nobody can say 'legacy') for doing what he was ordered to? No.

In time, when Flynn goes before a committee under oath, he may come clean. Then it's treason charges and ejection for Trump.
My blog of mocking satire which targets Kim Jong-un and his evil regime: https://reedakted.blogspot.com

Shawn
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Shawn » Thu Feb 16, 2017 11:45 am

Man, there's so much happening so fast now. Did I just hear during a meeting with the PM of Israel that Trump was OK with whatever Israel does about the Palestinian issue? :huh: The deal with Flynn looks increasingly like everyone on Trump's team knew what was going on. If so, they are truly screwed. The GOP can run cover and remain silent for so long until they find themselves in the crosshairs.

And while North Korea and Russia are test-firing missiles, he's going to hold a rally in Florida. :huh: The campaign is over, dude. Get a grip.
I may have to revise my prediction in The End of Trump Thread from 2 years to less than one.

sirwanksalot
Masturbateur
Masturbateur

Unread post by sirwanksalot » Thu Feb 16, 2017 12:36 pm

This unraveling is making me quite happy. I hope to see this cabinet go to trial then get sent to Guantanamo!

senseiman
9 miles of bad road
9 miles of bad road

Unread post by senseiman » Thu Feb 16, 2017 2:04 pm

The scandals and shit-storms are unfolding at such break-neck speed that I cannot keep up with the deluge.

Trump has packed in a bout 3-4 full presidential terms worth of them into just his first month, which isn't even over yet.

There is just no way that this is sustainable. The administration has been in crisis mode since day one, yet there have been no crises for them to face other than those of their own making. Everything that was said about him being completely unfit for office owing to basically his incompetence is proving true.

The faster he is gone, the better.
祇園精舎の鐘の聲、諸行無常の響あり。娑羅雙樹の花の色、盛者必衰のことわりをあらはす。おごれる人も久しからず、唯春の夜の夢のごとし。たけき者も遂にほろびぬ、偏に風の前の塵に同じ。

allblacks
Drop Kick Artist
Drop Kick Artist

Unread post by allblacks » Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:12 pm

There's no crisis. It's just fake news. Lol
Donald Trump "You know what Uranium does? Lots of things, nuclear and like lots of things."

In The Know
Cassandra
Cassandra

Unread post by In The Know » Thu Feb 16, 2017 11:58 pm

For once this is not Trump's fault, but how he reacts to it will be telling. A Russian spy ship (electronic signals gathering apparatus) is now sitting off the Connecticut coast-- 30 miles off the coast!-- near a U.S. submarine base. It's in int'l waters, and while it's perfectly within maritime law to be doing this, it is nonetheless highly unusual.

It's almost as if Putin is saying, "Trump, what are you going to do? What are you going to say about this? You know we have things on you, don't make us disclose them in your moment of crisis."

The spy ship arrived off the U.S. coast after a stop in... Cuba.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/02/15/politics/ ... index.html
Last edited by In The Know on Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

In The Know
Cassandra
Cassandra

Unread post by In The Know » Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:02 am

Shawn wrote:Man, there's so much happening so fast now. Did I just hear during a meeting with the PM of Israel that Trump was OK with whatever Israel does about the Palestinian issue? :huh:
I watched that live. Yes, he said it. "One state or two state solution. I'm for whatever the two parties decide to work out."

International leadership and wise diplomacy at its finest! :thumbsup:

In other words, let's just have another 40 years of war with no recognition of Palestine.

Shawn
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Shawn » Fri Feb 17, 2017 9:34 am

In The Know wrote:I watched that live. Yes, he said it. "One state or two state solution. I'm for whatever the two parties decide to work out."

So I wake and turn on the news to see what wacky White House antics the day brings.
:shock:
Did you see today's press conference? There are no words.
-The leaks coming out of the White House are real but news about them is fake news. :jaw:
-Gets called out on his claim of having the largest electoral college vote victory
-Thinks WIkiLeaks is fine because it never leaked classified information.
-Says that if the US doesn't get along with Russia, the alternative is nuclear holocaust
-Shouts down a Jewish reporter's question about anti-Semitism
-Asks a black reporter to help him set up a meeting with the Congressional Black Caucus

The Rolling Stone lists 18 WTF moments. :drunk: :drunk:

The man is completely unhinged and clueless. How long can he last before he does some serious damage?

Shawn
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Shawn » Fri Feb 17, 2017 9:57 am

Let's turn our attention back to policy. Gen. Mattis spoke to NATO leaders the other day and basically told them to pay up.
“I owe it to you all to give you clarity on the political reality in the United States and to state the fair demand from my country’s people in concrete terms,” Mattis said. “America will meet its responsibilities, but if your nations do not want to see America moderate its commitment to the alliance, each of your capitals needs to show its support for our common defense.”

The statements came during a closed-doors meeting with defense ministers from other NATO countries and were provided to reporters traveling with the defense secretary to Brussels. It marks an escalation in Washington’s long-running frustration that many NATO countries do not spend at least 2 percent of their gross domestic product as they have pledged. President Trump often made that point during his upstart run for the White House, at various times calling the alliance “obsolete” while grousing that its 28 members need to pay “their fair share.”
This is a long-standing complaint of the US toward NATO and Trump campaigned on it. I get trying to get NATO members to up their spending, but for some nations, hitting 2% of GDP won't be realistic. And if all of NATO starts increasing their military spending, does that invoke an arms race?

I wonder what "moderate its commitment" implies? What are the consequences? Is the US going to withdraw troops?

I think what's missing from the equation is the benefit the US derives from the alliance. It's not simply a question of dollars. The US would have a very tough time projecting power if it did not have bases in Europe and Asia. And the US doesn't necessarily pay for these bases, either. Japan's budget for hosting the Americans is at least $2 billion annually.

Security is interdependent, and with Trump in the White House, the US is going to need its allies, and drawing a line in the sand like this doesn't look like it does much to build a cooperative environment.

allblacks
Drop Kick Artist
Drop Kick Artist

Unread post by allblacks » Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:32 am

Shawn wrote:
In The Know wrote:I watched that live. Yes, he said it. "One state or two state solution. I'm for whatever the two parties decide to work out."

So I wake and turn on the news to see what wacky White House antics the day brings.
:shock:
Did you see today's press conference? There are no words.
-The leaks coming out of the White House are real but news about them is fake news. :jaw:
-Gets called out on his claim of having the largest electoral college vote victory
-Thinks WIkiLeaks is fine because it never leaked classified information.
-Says that if the US doesn't get along with Russia, the alternative is nuclear holocaust
-Shouts down a Jewish reporter's question about anti-Semitism
-Asks a black reporter to help him set up a meeting with the Congressional Black Caucus

The Rolling Stone lists 18 WTF moments. :drunk: :drunk:

The man is completely unhinged and clueless. How long can he last before he does some serious damage?
You're being way too nice mate. The whole thing is about to implode. It's going to be a spectacular Hindenburg-like disaster.

Wherever Obama is right now I bet he is enjoying the show. He did like that show Homeland and this has certain parallels.
Donald Trump "You know what Uranium does? Lots of things, nuclear and like lots of things."

scanman
Enthusiastic Newbie
Enthusiastic Newbie

Unread post by scanman » Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:02 am

Donald Trump is going to go down as the strangest President ever elected. I am sure his term in office will be short lived. Personally, I think he is mentally ill. No sane person spouts the way he does. He has no idea as to his status as President.

Shawn
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Shawn » Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:18 am

allblacks wrote:You're being way too nice mate. The whole thing is about to implode. It's going to be a spectacular Hindenburg-like disaster.

Wherever Obama is right now I bet he is enjoying the show. He did like that show Homeland and this has certain parallels.
You just might be right. Obama is probably laughing his ass off right now because he knew that Trump wasn't up to the job.
Even The Poke can't mock that press conference so they're just offering a list of the crazy shit he said.

allblacks
Drop Kick Artist
Drop Kick Artist

Unread post by allblacks » Fri Feb 17, 2017 1:55 pm

Just added a new signature quote. Let's see how long it takes until I get a better one. Lol

In The Know
Cassandra
Cassandra

Unread post by In The Know » Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:09 pm

I watched as much as I could, but I had to turn off the TV in disgust. It was... unwatchable. Three other claims come to mind:

1) "This administration is running like a well-oiled machine."
2) "The crowds are massive. They are massive, I'm told." (He was speaking at noon Thursday about a pep rally in Florida that will be held... Saturday. Yes, he said the crowds are "massive." Not 'they will' or 'I expect them to be,' but they are. I knew then he cannot speak without lying.
3) "I inherited a mess. A total mess. A mess domestically and overseas." -- (You see, folks, all the panic now is because he inherited "a mess" from Obama!)

Seriously, he is mentally unstable.

In The Know
Cassandra
Cassandra

Unread post by In The Know » Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:15 pm

Trump's pick to replace Flynn turns down offer. "Ummm.... no." From the Washington Post:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/pos ... 561d97364c

Shawn
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Shawn » Sat Feb 18, 2017 10:07 am

In The Know wrote:Trump's pick to replace Flynn turns down offer. "Ummm.... no."
If you were offered a shit sandwich, would you take it? In the span of a month, Trump has become absolutely toxic. Working for the administration or associating yourself with it would be bad for your career. And that goes for government leaders as well. Given Trump's incoherence, palling around with Trump makes you look foolish.(I'm looking at you, Shinzo Abe.) It might be best to keep your distance from a mad man.

I wondered when the media would start questioning Trump's sanity. Here it is.

On top of that, comes Trump's latest Tweet, which is terrifying.
The FAKE NEWS media (failing @nytimes, @NBCNews, @ABC, @CBS, @CNN) is not my enemy, it is the enemy of the American People!
:shock: This is very dangerous language coming from a president. This is the language of a dictator. We know that Bannon and his Leninism guides the White House. Bannon's goal is to tear apart the Republic, which makes this interview with Timothy Snyder, professor of history at Yale University, very prescient. He gives American democracy a year before it is destroyed. His comment on Leninism:
When Bannon calls himself a „Leninist“, do Americans know what is he talking about?

No, they usually have no idea. It is a good question. Americans have this idea that comes from Jefferson and the American Revolution that you have to rebel every so often. And they sometimes don’t make the distinction between a rebellion against injustice and the extinction of the whole political system, which is what Bannon says that he is after. The American Revolution actually preserved ideas from Britain: the rule of law being the most important. The whole justification of the American Revolution was that the British were not living up to their own principles, were not including Americans in their own system. In a broad way that that was also the argument of the civil rights movement: the system fails itself when it does not extend equal rights to all citizens. So there can be resistance and even revolution which is about meeting standards rather than about simple destruction. What Bannon says correctly about the Bolsheviks was that they aimed to completely destroy an old regime. We can slip from one to the other very easily, from rebelliousness to a complete negation of the system. Most Americans had a rule of law state for most of their lives, African Americans are an exception, and so most Americans think this will be there forever. They don’t get that a “disruption” can actually destroy much of what they take for granted. They have no notion what it means to destroy the state and how their lives would look like if the rule of law would no longer exist. I find it frightening that people who talk about the destruction of the American state are now in charge of the American state.

scanman
Enthusiastic Newbie
Enthusiastic Newbie

Unread post by scanman » Sat Feb 18, 2017 11:08 am

Japan’s interpreters struggle to make sense of ‘Trumpese’ -- From The Japan Times:

“He rarely speaks logically, and he only emphasizes one side of things as if it were the absolute truth. There are lots of moments when I suspected his assertions were factually dubious,” said Chikako Tsuruta, who routinely covers Trump-related news as an interpreter for CNN, ABC and CBS.

“He is so overconfident and yet so logically unconvincing that my interpreter friends and I often joke that if we translated his words as they are, we would end up making ourselves sound stupid,” Tsuruta, who is also a professor of interpreting and translation studies at the Tokyo University of Foreign Studies, said in a recent interview.

Like Tsuruta, English-Japanese interpreters recall being dumbstruck by Trump’s disregard for logic and facts as well as his unabashed use of a litany of sexist and racist remarks during the election campaign.

A “readability analysis” of presidential campaign speeches by researchers at Carnegie Mellon University’s Language Technologies Institute (LTI) revealed last March that Trump’s lexical richness was the lowest — at seventh-grade level — of his rival candidates and past U.S. presidents.

Junken Master
Hopeless Drone
Hopeless Drone

Unread post by Junken Master » Wed Feb 22, 2017 12:56 am

scanman wrote: revealed last March that Trump’s lexical richness was the lowest — at seventh-grade level — of his rival candidates and past U.S. presidents.
Well, at least he does know at least three nouns: "Mexican", "Muslim", "Wall"

And a couple of verbs "build", "ban".

And can use simple adverbs "Build quickly" and can use indefinite pronouns well. "Ban everybody".

Shawn
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Shawn » Fri Feb 24, 2017 12:11 pm

Does Trump intend to start another nuclear arms race? Because...
President Donald Trump said on Thursday he wants to ensure the U.S. nuclear arsenal is at the "top of the pack," saying the United States has fallen behind in its weapons capacity.
...sounds like he does.

And this makes no sense:
“I am the first one that would like to see ... nobody have nukes, but we’re never going to fall behind any country even if it’s a friendly country, we’re never going to fall behind on nuclear power.

"It would be wonderful, a dream would be that no country would have nukes, but if countries are going to have nukes, we’re going to be at the top of the pack," Trump said.
First, has the US fallen behind? Second, he wants to see a nuclear-free world but is going to build an arsenal instead? A man with a plan would think about global disarmament and nuclear weapons treaties, no? :eyes:

AsahiSupaSpy
Eikaiwa Hero
Eikaiwa Hero

Unread post by AsahiSupaSpy » Fri Feb 24, 2017 4:39 pm

Hi all.

I read this thread with interest. Thanks for all of your knowledge and insights. I was very reluctant to join in myself as I know very little about politics. I just wanted to butt in regarding the banning of steki, even though it was a while ago now.

I realise steki was saying some very unsavoury, sometimes downright bigoted things, but to ban him outright seems to veer towards turning this thread and LJ into one of those echo-chambers that helped get Trump elected in the first place. Lefties and liberals (of which I count myself as one) presenting convincing and compelling arguments about the evils of Mr. Trump to other lefty liberals. I think you need people on both sides (as unpalatable as than can be) in order to have a chance at change.

Anyways, it's your guys' site and of course you have the right to include / exclude whoever you want. Thanks again.

P.S Fuck Trump!!
Do NOT arrest this man.

Junken Master
Hopeless Drone
Hopeless Drone

Unread post by Junken Master » Fri Feb 24, 2017 7:21 pm

AsahiSupaSpy wrote:
Fri Feb 24, 2017 4:39 pm
Hi all.

I realise steki was saying some very unsavoury, sometimes downright bigoted things, but to ban him outright seems to veer towards turning this thread and LJ into one of those echo-chambers that helped get Trump elected in the first place.

P.S Fuck Trump!!
I think makes at least 3 of us now that are petitioning to have him back in!

Well Shawn said he's been quite bigoted on some of the other threads, but even regarding someone as being bigoted can be quite subjective i think.

To me he's come across as a happy go-lucky poster on here. I mean he hasn't actually been banned until this thread, so he can't have been doing that badly until now.

As you say it's their site but I like you think it's a bit of a shame.

Shall we start a re-instate Steki petition on the web! If it get's 10,000 votes then parliament must debate it! :lol:

RalphWiggum
LJ Oracle
LJ Oracle

Unread post by RalphWiggum » Sat Feb 25, 2017 2:44 am

He'd acted like an arsehole before, I forget which thread it was but it was nasty, bigoted shite again. This time he even went as far as to announce that "he wasn't taking it any more" and was going to say exactly what he wanted. He brought it on himself, he was deliberately provocative and there was no attempt to be civil. The way he acted is symptomatic of a very, very nasty streak that both the Trump and Brexit wins have brought out in the right.
Shit wank bollocks

Shawn
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Shawn » Sat Feb 25, 2017 9:45 am

Fascism marches on! America takes another step down the path by banning CNN, The New York Times, The Hill, Politico, RealClearPolitics, BBC, and The News from a press briefing because Trump doesn't like what their reporting. Trump still trotted out his "the press is the enemy of the people" line at CPAC, too. This is a clear attack on the Republic. When you look at the people surrounding Trump, with perhaps Mattis being the exception, none of the them have the chops to run their respective departments. In fact, if they accomplish anything, it will be to ruin their departments. He's going to wreck the country if the people can't remove him from office.

It's only been a month, but I'm now more fearful of what will become of the USA. If Trump is successful in discrediting the press and manages to supplant it with the likes of FOX and Brietbart, the Republic is finished. A break-up of the country would be entirely within the realm of possibility, which would be a massive headache for Canada and the world.

allblacks
Drop Kick Artist
Drop Kick Artist

Unread post by allblacks » Sat Feb 25, 2017 12:09 pm

Steki can go post his shit elsewhere. There are the same number of people if not more that DON'T want him here.