Unbelievable...

A forum for discussing topics not related to eikaiwa or Japan.
Forum rules
The basic forum rules are here :wink: . Refer to the BBCode Guide for information on using BBCode tags, plus this post about additional tags for embedding video.

Re: Unbelievable...

Unread postby MacGyver » Fri Jul 27, 2012 2:16 pm

Holy fuck....Had to laugh at the ambulance diving past them though....
"Yous guys talk a lotta shit. I'm much more smarter than all a yous." - Samurai Jerk after being owned by the Let's Japan crew.
MacGyver
Shockproof shit detector
Shockproof shit detector

Unread postby steki47 » Sun Jul 29, 2012 9:38 am

Yesterday in Taipei I saw some really horrible driving behavior. A mom with two small kids on a scooter had a mild collision with a man in a station wagon. I did not see it, just heard it. The two drivers proceed to yell at each. The man in the car backs up and rams the scooter again, clearly on purpose. The mom continues screaming at the man who just keeps yelling at her.

The light turns green and everyone else drives off except those two. The mom backs up the scooter to take a pic of the license plate with her cell. The man gives a final curse and drives off.

Ramming a scooter carrying two kids, what an asshole!!

PS-I relied on the very clean and fast train system and dodged the headache of driving and watching them drive.
steki47
Cassandra
Cassandra

Unread postby bostonaussie » Tue Jul 31, 2012 1:26 am

actually this reminds me of the time blova had the sheer audacity to increase break times in 2004 so as to come to 29.5 hours per week of teaching just to avoid having to pay shakai hoken.
bostonaussie
Jaded Veteran
Jaded Veteran

meth smuggler busted

Unread postby In The Know » Tue Jul 31, 2012 11:04 pm

This ass wipe may not realize it, but it's better for him that he was caught on the U.S. end rather than be allowed to deplane in Japan... with the keikan waiting. They would have had to pump sunlight into his cell in Japan.

http://www.japantoday.com/category/crime/view/american-man-attempts-to-smuggle-meth-disguised-as-snickers-candy-bars-to-japan
You can fix almost anything, but you can't fix stupid. Stupid is forever.
In The Know
Cassandra
Cassandra

Unread postby Kuronama » Sat Aug 11, 2012 3:50 pm

I am in the mood right now for watching crazy chinese obachans flip out on Youtube - see quite a bit of it live here in Van, but nothing like this :haha:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJ7VWqj1 ... re=related

In a way though, dont yall in eikaiwa/ALT positions wish u could do that? lol
Kuronama
Eikaiwa Hero
Eikaiwa Hero

Unread postby Langslave » Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:48 pm

Im with her ALL the way!
"If I may put forward a slight..er..personal philosophy..I feel that man has ruled this world as a stumbling, demented, child-king..LONG ENOUGH!"
Langslave
9 miles of bad road
9 miles of bad road

Unread postby MacGyver » Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:38 am

Langslave wrote:Im with her ALL the way!

Totally. I thought that was the exact appropriate reaction. Didn't yell or scream at him, just grabbed the phone, destroyed it, and carried on with her lesson. No one in that class will answer their phone in future.
"Yous guys talk a lotta shit. I'm much more smarter than all a yous." - Samurai Jerk after being owned by the Let's Japan crew.
MacGyver
Shockproof shit detector
Shockproof shit detector

Unread postby AsahiSupaSpy » Tue Aug 14, 2012 12:13 pm

MacGyver wrote:
Langslave wrote:Im with her ALL the way!

Totally. I thought that was the exact appropriate reaction. Didn't yell or scream at him, just grabbed the phone, destroyed it, and carried on with her lesson. No one in that class will answer their phone in future.

Bet that won't be the end of it for her though. The student will probably sue her and the school for all manner of things up to and including assault. He will probably sue the other students for laughing. Hell, the cell phone manufacturer will probably suffer a lawsuit 'cos the phone broke.
Do NOT arrest this man.
AsahiSupaSpy
Eikaiwa Lifer
Eikaiwa Lifer

Unread postby allblacks » Tue Aug 14, 2012 12:30 pm

Ah yes. The American tangent. Haha.
"So the clutch is called a clutch and the accelerator is called something stupid?" Holly interrupted, "Why didn't they just call the clutch a squeezer?"

http://27bslash6.com/arguments.html
allblacks
Drop Kick Artist
Drop Kick Artist

Unread postby MacGyver » Tue Aug 14, 2012 12:36 pm

AsahiSupaSpy wrote:Bet that won't be the end of it for her though. The student will probably sue her and the school for all manner of things up to and including assault. He will probably sue the other students for laughing. Hell, the cell phone manufacturer will probably suffer a lawsuit 'cos the phone broke.

Just depends on the country where the video was taken. To my ears she was speaking Chinese (although happy to be corrected on it cause I didn't listen all hat closely) but that doesn't really tell us where it was. My first thought was Singapore cause of the school uniforms but again total guess. If it was a country where education is valued very highly, then there is a very good chance nothing will happen to her. Hell, the student will prolly get a bollocking. When I was in HS in the 80s, at least once a teacher broke something of mine when I had it on my desk and was fiddling with it (no matter how many times I re-write that, it still comes out sounding dirty!) but that was where the matter ended. Had I gone to the principle, most likely he would have said "You shouldn't have had it in class, should you! Serves you right!" or words to that effect. Times have no doubt changed though (in Oz)....
MacGyver
Shockproof shit detector
Shockproof shit detector

Bullying aftermath

Unread postby In The Know » Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:59 pm

Sometimes punk schoolkids have to find out the hard way not to fuck with the wrong fat kid. This is great:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mEqniEvNcnk&feature=related
In The Know
Cassandra
Cassandra

Re: Bullying aftermath

Unread postby MacGyver » Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:55 am

In The Know wrote:Sometimes punk schoolkids have to find out the hard way not to fuck with the wrong fat kid. This is great:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mEqniEvNcnk&feature=related

BUYA! Take THAT biyach! Should have dropped him on his head.
MacGyver
Shockproof shit detector
Shockproof shit detector

Unread postby allblacks » Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:15 pm

That one did the rounds a while ago. All I can say is good on the big kid for standing up for himself.
"So the clutch is called a clutch and the accelerator is called something stupid?" Holly interrupted, "Why didn't they just call the clutch a squeezer?"

allblacks
Drop Kick Artist
Drop Kick Artist

Unread postby MacGyver » Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:47 pm

Yeah 2011 but bullies getting taking down never gets old.
MacGyver
Shockproof shit detector
Shockproof shit detector

Unread postby allblacks » Thu Aug 16, 2012 2:34 pm

http://www.wimp.com/olympicsprinters/

This is pretty amazing. Usain Bolt is just something else!

allblacks
Drop Kick Artist
Drop Kick Artist

little Oz hero

Unread postby In The Know » Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:22 pm

allblacks wrote:That one did the rounds a while ago. All I can say is good on the big kid for standing up for himself.

The kid is from Oz. It wasn't the first time he had been picked on and that day he just snapped. Good for him. :clap:

If you haven't seen it, here's a follow-up TV interview he did about the incident and the support he got for standing up for himself.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&NR=1&v=I_BdAk7H6Lk
In The Know
Cassandra
Cassandra

Unread postby MrNoodle » Wed Aug 22, 2012 2:43 pm

First McDonald's coffee, now another dumbass lawsuit.

Dallas Cowboys in hot seat as woman sues over burned buttocks

DALLAS — A Texas woman is suing the Dallas Cowboys and owner Jerry Jones, saying her buttocks were severely burned when she sat on a bench outside Cowboys Stadium.

In a lawsuit filed last week in Tarrant Count, Jennelle Carrillo said the black marble bench was in direct sunlight on a hot August afternoon before a Cowboys scrimmage last year.

A weather official says the high temperature on that day was 37 C.

Carrillo’s lawyer, Michael Wash, said his client didn’t know the extent of the burns until after receiving medical attention.

The lawsuit claims she was hospitalized and underwent skin grafts.

The lawsuit claims there were no warnings about sitting on the benches in hot weather.
MrNoodle
Fresh & Minty
Fresh & Minty

Unread postby allblacks » Wed Aug 22, 2012 2:45 pm

Good one. I bet she wins.

allblacks
Drop Kick Artist
Drop Kick Artist

Unread postby inflames » Thu Aug 23, 2012 4:01 pm

MrNoodle wrote:First McDonald's coffee, now another dumbass lawsuit.

The logic behind the McDonald's coffee lawsuit was very simple - McDonald's knew they had an issue with this and consistently ignored it (aside from settling with other people but not this woman) and got busted with it.
inflames
9 miles of bad road
9 miles of bad road

Unread postby AsahiSupaSpy » Thu Aug 23, 2012 4:33 pm

inflames wrote:
MrNoodle wrote:First McDonald's coffee, now another dumbass lawsuit.

The logic behind the McDonald's coffee lawsuit was very simple - McDonald's knew they had an issue with this and consistently ignored it (aside from settling with other people but not this woman) and got busted with it.

Woman buys hot coffee. Spills hot coffee on herself. Sues the company that sold her the coffee for a bunch of millions of dollars.
Frivilous lawsuits (and twitter) are why I hope the Mayans are right.
Do NOT arrest this man.
AsahiSupaSpy
Eikaiwa Lifer
Eikaiwa Lifer

Unread postby allblacks » Thu Aug 23, 2012 6:07 pm

That suit is a bit more complicated. The woman was sitting in a parked car with the engine off. She put the coffee between her legs because there was no cup holder. The McDonalds worker had not put the top on properly and it came off. This has happened to me before as well. McDonalds were definitely at fault and not just because the coffee was hot.

I watched a documentary about this which explained it very well. They even went to the McDs where it happened. After seeing it I decided that more frivilous lawsuits are out there. Like the one where the burglar sued because he was injured breaking into someones house. Or even this dumb bitch who burned her arse on a hot marble seat. OMG! The sun makes things HOT! Fuck me dead! The judge should tell her in no uncertain terms that she is retarded and make her pay for the court costs. Judge Judy would be perfect!

allblacks
Drop Kick Artist
Drop Kick Artist

Unread postby AsahiSupaSpy » Fri Aug 24, 2012 12:36 am

allblacks wrote:That suit is a bit more complicated. The woman was sitting in a parked car with the engine off. She put the coffee between her legs because there was no cup holder. The McDonalds worker had not put the top on properly and it came off. This has happened to me before as well. McDonalds were definitely at fault and not just because the coffee was hot.

I watched a documentary about this which explained it very well. They even went to the McDs where it happened. After seeing it I decided that more frivilous lawsuits are out there. Like the one where the burglar sued because he was injured breaking into someones house. Or even this dumb bitch who burned her arse on a hot marble seat. OMG! The sun makes things HOT! Fuck me dead! The judge should tell her in no uncertain terms that she is retarded and make her pay for the court costs. Judge Judy would be perfect!

I know the details of the case. I just don't think it was McDs fault.
I bought a mountainbike a couple of weeks ago. Yesterday I crashed on a technical section and took some skin off my right shin and forearm. The day I first got the bike I noticed the front brakes were a bit tighter than I would usually have them. By the McDs logic I could sue the manufacturer, or the store, or whoever it was that assembled the bike I guess. Whatevers. The difference is I don't run around blaming other fucking things for my actions. The brake was tight, I crashed. Get over it and move on. The coffee was hot and you got burned? Be more careful next time you fucking retard.
Do NOT arrest this man.
AsahiSupaSpy
Eikaiwa Lifer
Eikaiwa Lifer

Unread postby inflames » Fri Aug 24, 2012 1:28 am

AsahiSupaSpy wrote:
I know the details of the case.

It's quite clear you don't. Here's the case:
McDonald's makes coffee at around 190 Fahrenheit. This is far higher (by 60 degrees or so) than other places or the coffee made at home. If you took a big gulp of it, your mouth and probably esophagus would be burned (you'd have been screwed if you drank it all at once). Hundreds of people have had injuries from it, which McDonald's settled and does nothing to change their practices. Woman buys coffee, spills it, and is hospitalized for days. Asks McDonald's to cover costs plus a bit extra. McDonald's refuses. She calls lawyers, who then discover the previous incidents and the entire thing goes to court. A jury, seeing repeated negligent behavior, holds McDonald's liable for it. Eventually a settlement is reached and McDonald's changes the temperature of their coffee.

If this is considered unreasonable then all the tobacco lawsuits are also unreasonable.
inflames
9 miles of bad road
9 miles of bad road

Unread postby AsahiSupaSpy » Fri Aug 24, 2012 1:53 am

inflames wrote:It's quite clear you don't. Here's the case:
McDonald's makes coffee at around 190 Fahrenheit. This is far higher (by 60 degrees or so) than other places or the coffee made at home. If you took a big gulp of it, your mouth and probably esophagus would be burned (you'd have been screwed if you drank it all at once). Hundreds of people have had injuries from it, which McDonald's settled and does nothing to change their practices. Woman buys coffee, spills it, and is hospitalized for days. Asks McDonald's to cover costs plus a bit extra. McDonald's refuses. She calls lawyers, who then discover the previous incidents and the entire thing goes to court. A jury, seeing repeated negligent behavior, holds McDonald's liable for it. Eventually a settlement is reached and McDonald's changes the temperature of their coffee.

If this is considered unreasonable then all the tobacco lawsuits are also unreasonable.

Awesome post. I see your wikipedia skills are marginally better than mine. Read on to a comparable case in the U.K. and we can come to a happy medium. But McD's is a horrible, horrible establishment. There is no denying that. Good burgers though.
Do NOT arrest this man.
AsahiSupaSpy
Eikaiwa Lifer
Eikaiwa Lifer

Unread postby allblacks » Fri Aug 24, 2012 10:17 am

Good burgers my arse. They are the worst in the fast food industry!

Seriously, watch the documentary called HOT COFFEE. You will change your mind about that case. McDonalds were far more at fault than the poor woman was.

allblacks
Drop Kick Artist
Drop Kick Artist

Unread postby AsahiSupaSpy » Fri Aug 24, 2012 12:56 pm

allblacks wrote:Seriously, watch the documentary called HOT COFFEE. You will change your mind about that case. McDonalds were far more at fault than the poor woman was.

Well then. Consider me proven absolutely wrong. I apologise for my previous, belligerent ignorance.
Do NOT arrest this man.
AsahiSupaSpy
Eikaiwa Lifer
Eikaiwa Lifer

Unread postby allblacks » Fri Aug 24, 2012 1:29 pm

Dont worry about it! I felt the same way until I saw what they provided in court as evidence!

allblacks
Drop Kick Artist
Drop Kick Artist

Unread postby MacGyver » Fri Aug 24, 2012 1:32 pm

The McD's case was done to death on this site back in the day so I won't go over old ground but I will say that, like ASS, I disagreed with the case then and I disagree with the case now. Although I would be interested in that movie so I'll see if I can <ahem> obtain a copy of it. Her fault, case should never have been brought, but yet through America's BS legal system and culture of victims she sued and amazingly won. In searching for the Winnebago story (#7 on the list on this site) I found this:

The "Stella" Awards rank up there with the Darwin awards. Stella Liebeck is the 81 year old lady who spilled coffee on herself and successfully sued McDonald's instead of accepting their $20,000 offer. (Note: in the factual version of this story, McDonald's refused Stella's $20,000 settlement offer and took her to court instead. After losing the case and being called reckless and callous in court, McDonald's started serving coffee at drinking temperature rather than skin-burning temperature.)

This case inspired an annual award -- The "Stella Award" -- for the most frivolous lawsuits in the U.S.
----------------------------

I'd also like to note that while I am what the Japanese call "neko jita" I hate warm coffee. If its not hot, then I don't like it. If I can drink it in gulps, its no good. I have a electric pot at home that is supposed to keep water at 90 degrees but even then I'll microwave my coffee cause its not hot enough.
MacGyver
Shockproof shit detector
Shockproof shit detector

Unread postby MacGyver » Fri Aug 24, 2012 1:35 pm

allblacks wrote:Dont worry about it! I felt the same way until I saw what they provided in court as evidence!

As I say I'm interested in seeing that doco but I'd be surprised if it changed my mind. And worth noting I rarely eat McDs and mostly don't like their food or burgers so in no way am I trying to defend them. If they disappeared tomorrow it wouldn't bother me in the least. Although I don't mind a Big Mac every few months and that Masala burger was pretty good.
MacGyver
Shockproof shit detector
Shockproof shit detector

Unread postby inflames » Fri Aug 24, 2012 6:10 pm

MacGyver wrote:The "Stella" Awards rank up there with the Darwin awards. Stella Liebeck is the 81 year old lady who spilled coffee on herself and successfully sued McDonald's instead of accepting their $20,000 offer. (Note: in the factual version of this story, McDonald's refused Stella's $20,000 settlement offer and took her to court instead. After losing the case and being called reckless and callous in court, McDonald's started serving coffee at drinking temperature rather than skin-burning temperature.)

The irony is that textbooks (from my law class where I studied this case) and every website I found said that McDonald's refused her offer and never offered her $20,000.

I actually studied this case in uni - it was pointed out to be a good legal principle (that companies can't continue to ignore issues with their products - the Ford Pinto case was based on the exact same logic). Ironically enough, I pointed out a potential problem in Williams v. Walker-Thomas that would reappear in a few years with foreclosures (namely people being charged tons of ridiculous fees on foreclosures).
inflames
9 miles of bad road
9 miles of bad road

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic