Book and PC Game Giveaway

The LJ Classifieds. Buy, Sell, Swap, Rent, Giveaways, etc. Advertise jobs available and apartments for rent (if you are the principal, not an agent).
Forum rules
The basic forum rules are here :wink:. Refer to the BBCode Guide for information on using BBCode tags, plus this post about additional tags for embedding video.

Book and PC Game Giveaway

Unread postby Shawn » Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:39 am

UPDATE 6/2@ 14:12 The video games have a new home.

Cleaning out my closets, I realized that I haven't used these items in a long time. That means it's time to set them free. They are free to anyone that wants them. All I ask is that you pay postage. First come, first served. PM me if you want anything.

PC Games

  • Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare. PC DVD. Includes serial number and all of the patches and map packs. :clap:
  • Call of Duty: World at War. PC DVD. Includes serial number and all of the patches and map packs.
Great games, but I haven't touched them since the birth of my daughter. Played them on a DELL Dimension 8300, but World at War really strained my rig. CoD MW ran well on the Radeon 9800 video card, but I swapped it out for a something a bit better for WaW. It must be the way Treyarch develops their games, because WaW, while fun to play, felt heavy and laggy.

Books
Image

Get involved with the Eikaiwa Wiki

RSS Feeds: Blog :: Blog comments :: Forums
User avatar
Shawn
Site Admin
Site Admin
 
Posts: 3814
Joined: Fri Jan 14, 2005 9:35 pm
Location: At Mitch & Murray, holding on to the good leads and preparing sets of steak knives

Re: Book and PC Game Giveaway

Unread postby allblacks » Wed Jun 02, 2010 2:53 pm

Shawn wrote:Cleaning out my closets, I realized that I haven't used these items in a long time. That means it's time to set them free. They are free to anyone that wants them. All I ask is that you pay postage. First come, first served. PM me if you want anything.

PC Games

  • Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare. PC DVD. Includes serial number and all of the patches and map packs. :clap:
  • Call of Duty: World at War. PC DVD. Includes serial number and all of the patches and map packs.
Great games, but I haven't touched them since the birth of my daughter. Played them on a DELL Dimension 8300, but World at War really strained my rig. CoD MW ran well on the Radeon 9800 video card, but I swapped it out for a something a bit better for WaW. It must be the way Treyarch develops their games, because WaW, while fun to play, felt heavy and laggy.

Books


Call of duties are now MINE!
"So the clutch is called a clutch and the accelerator is called something stupid?" Holly interrupted, "Why didn't they just call the clutch a squeezer?"

http://27bslash6.com/arguments.html
User avatar
allblacks
Drop Kick Artist
Drop Kick Artist
 
Posts: 7239
Joined: Tue Jan 01, 2002 10:00 am
Location: Deep South Osaka

Re: Book and PC Game Giveaway

Unread postby Tall Tall Tree » Sun Jun 06, 2010 3:41 pm

Did you buy CoD:WaW in Japan? Did it actually come out there? Seeing as how half the game is about the American campaign in the Pacific up through the taking of Okinawa and all…

Tangent: I enjoyed all of the WWII-themed CoD games I've played, but MW felt so much more… uninteresting story-wise. I think a good deal of the fun in the WWII-themed games was about playing out real campaigns as they occurred and being able to go to Wikipedia and read about how it really happened and such. MW's fake story just seemed much less interesting to me.
User avatar
Tall Tall Tree
Cassandra
Cassandra
 
Posts: 2481
Joined: Sat Oct 11, 2003 7:48 pm
Location: Tokyo

Re: Book and PC Game Giveaway

Unread postby Shawn » Sun Jun 06, 2010 3:55 pm

Tall Tall Tree wrote:Did you buy CoD:WaW in Japan? Did it actually come out there? Seeing as how half the game is about the American campaign in the Pacific up through the taking of Okinawa and all…

Tangent: I enjoyed all of the WWII-themed CoD games I've played, but MW felt so much more… uninteresting story-wise. I think a good deal of the fun in the WWII-themed games was about playing out real campaigns as they occurred and being able to go to Wikipedia and read about how it really happened and such. MW's fake story just seemed much less interesting to me.

I bought both games in Japan. Picked up WaW in Shinjuku for something like 3,000, which I thought was a steal. It's not that WWII is sensitive; it's talk about war responsibility that touches a nerve.

I agree about WWII shooters vs MW. I haven't played MW2, but I've read about it's crazy plot twists. As you say, playing a historical campaign is much more engrossing even if the WWII genre has been worn out.
Image

Get involved with the Eikaiwa Wiki

RSS Feeds: Blog :: Blog comments :: Forums
User avatar
Shawn
Site Admin
Site Admin
 
Posts: 3814
Joined: Fri Jan 14, 2005 9:35 pm
Location: At Mitch & Murray, holding on to the good leads and preparing sets of steak knives

Re: Book and PC Game Giveaway

Unread postby Wage Slave » Sun Jun 06, 2010 5:15 pm

Shawn wrote: It's not that WWII is sensitive; it's talk about war responsibility that touches a nerve.


Exactly. Japan wasn't responsible for it and certainly never cruel. Japan was an asian anti=colonialist force with honourable motives. It ruled and ran the liberated territories to the benefit of the locals and in a kind manner. There are many successful lies told about Japan's behaviour during that time. This is because history is written by the people who won thanks to the use of the terrible and inhumane atomic bomb.

Japan never even wanted to fight America. The US decided to fight an undeclared naval war against Japan and so Japan was left with no option but to attack American naval power against their will and better instincts.

The last bit contains a grain of truth.
Don't hesitate to spoil the ship for a ha'porth of tar. You'll get credit for saving the ha'penny and someone else will get the blame for losing the ship.
User avatar
Wage Slave
Shockproof shit detector
Shockproof shit detector
 
Posts: 3434
Joined: Mon Nov 27, 2006 4:42 pm
Location: In Front of the Thing with Lots of Buttons

Re: Book and PC Game Giveaway

Unread postby chimpsky » Fri Nov 19, 2010 10:02 pm

Wage Slave wrote:
Shawn wrote: It's not that WWII is sensitive; it's talk about war responsibility that touches a nerve.


Exactly. Japan wasn't responsible for it and certainly never cruel. Japan was an asian anti=colonialist force with honourable motives. It ruled and ran the liberated territories to the benefit of the locals and in a kind manner. There are many successful lies told about Japan's behaviour during that time. This is because history is written by the people who won thanks to the use of the terrible and inhumane atomic bomb.


Not too sure the victims of the Sook Ching or NanKing Massacre will agree with the "honourable motives" and "kind manner" description...
User avatar
chimpsky
Hopeless Drone
Hopeless Drone
 
Posts: 317
Joined: Thu Mar 06, 2008 3:04 pm

Re: Book and PC Game Giveaway

Unread postby InTheColdLightOfDay » Sat Nov 20, 2010 1:21 am

chimpsky wrote:Not too sure the victims of the Sook Ching or NanKing Massacre will agree with the "honourable motives" and "kind manner" description...


Psssst... Chimpsky. Chimpsky, come over here a second.

Listen, I didn't want to say anything in front of the other guys, but, uuuuumm... I don't think Wage Slave was being serious.
Just a heads up.
Each monkeys has different face. It's very difficult to distinguish monkey's face, like we can't memorize foreigner's face.
User avatar
InTheColdLightOfDay
9 miles of bad road
9 miles of bad road
 
Posts: 1494
Joined: Sat Mar 01, 2008 1:15 am
Location: Team Building Exercise ('99)

Re: Book and PC Game Giveaway

Unread postby SamhainP8 » Sat Nov 20, 2010 8:01 am

:haha: Oh my oh my.......
"Do you know how a falcon is trained, my dear? Her eyes are sewn shut. Blinded temporarily, she suffers the whims of her God patiently, until her will is submerged and she learns to serve - as your God taught and blinded you with crosses."
User avatar
SamhainP8
Dronus japonica
Dronus japonica
 
Posts: 4013
Joined: Sun Jun 19, 2005 5:41 pm
Location: Under a Judas Goatskin. Waiting patiently.

Re: Book and PC Game Giveaway

Unread postby Wage Slave » Sat Nov 20, 2010 10:05 pm

chimpsky wrote:
Wage Slave wrote:
Shawn wrote: It's not that WWII is sensitive; it's talk about war responsibility that touches a nerve.


Exactly. Japan wasn't responsible for it and certainly never cruel. Japan was an asian anti=colonialist force with honourable motives. It ruled and ran the liberated territories to the benefit of the locals and in a kind manner. There are many successful lies told about Japan's behaviour during that time. This is because history is written by the people who won thanks to the use of the terrible and inhumane atomic bomb.


Not too sure the victims of the Sook Ching or NanKing Massacre will agree with the "honourable motives" and "kind manner" description...



Ah you see, more lies told by the victors to discredit the glorious Imperial Japanese Army and to justify their cruel actions towards innocent Japanese people. In fact, the Japanese army was on a mission to rescue the Chinese people from European and American domination. As part that operation it was necessary to conduct some military operations in NanKing and Sook Ching. It is regrettable, but military operations in civilian areas often cause some significant civilian casualties. In this Japan was no different from any other power seeking to overturn a corrupt and unjust government the benefit of the population as a whole. In any case it is not clear exactly what happened as for some strange reason the records seem to have largely disappeared. More proof that they were not really very significant incidents.

And before you ask. the treatment of allied POWs was regrettable but all due to cultural misunderstanding. The Japanese soldiers who did it harboured no ill intent and had no choice. They were constrained by the deep held belief that according to the ancient code of Bushido (which every Japanese soldier regarded as his birthright) soldiers who surrender forfeit any rights of any kind. They become and should expect to treated as subhuman. No Japanese soldier would ever or has ever surrendered no matter what the circumstances. Sorry about that, but when cultures clash there can be unfortunate outcomes.

It seems beyond belief but someone won a big essay competition not so long ago with a line pretty much like this. There are a lot of people who believe this version of history and I don't see a lot of effort in the schools to counter it.
Don't hesitate to spoil the ship for a ha'porth of tar. You'll get credit for saving the ha'penny and someone else will get the blame for losing the ship.
User avatar
Wage Slave
Shockproof shit detector
Shockproof shit detector
 
Posts: 3434
Joined: Mon Nov 27, 2006 4:42 pm
Location: In Front of the Thing with Lots of Buttons


Return to LJ Classifieds

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest