Buying a car in Japan

The LJ Classifieds. Buy, Sell, Swap, Rent, Giveaways, etc. Advertise jobs available and apartments for rent (if you are the principal, not an agent).
Forum rules
The basic forum rules are here :wink:. Refer to the BBCode Guide for information on using BBCode tags, plus this post about additional tags for embedding video.
MacGyver
Shockproof shit detector
Shockproof shit detector

Re: Buying a car in Japan

Unread post by MacGyver » Fri Jul 08, 2016 8:41 am

In The Know wrote:Both the government and auto makers want you to keep buying a new car every 3 years.
I've always thought it was 10 years seeing as Shaken is every year after the car turns 10.

Shaken costs depend on the type of car, condition, and so on. The purpose is to keep cars roadworthy. Whether you agree with that premise or think it's just govt. and car makers colluding to sell more cars, that's the stated reason. If the car doesn't pass shaken, you have to get it fixed and you can't drive it until you get it fixed. Personally, I think it is a combination of collusion and road safety.
"Yous guys talk a lotta shit. I'm much more smarter than all a yous." - Samurai Jerk after being owned by the Let's Japan crew.

Wage Slave
Shockproof shit detector
Shockproof shit detector

Unread post by Wage Slave » Fri Jul 08, 2016 1:54 pm

A normal or Kei car's first shaken is after 3 years. After that it is every two years no matter how old it is.

I don't think it is expensive at all in comparison with other countries. I pay about 65k for a Honda Fit each time. And that includes basic minimum insurance for two more years.
Don't hesitate to spoil the ship for a ha'porth of tar. You'll get credit for saving the ha'penny and someone else will get the blame for losing the ship.

MacGyver
Shockproof shit detector
Shockproof shit detector

Unread post by MacGyver » Fri Jul 08, 2016 2:10 pm

Wage Slave wrote:A normal or Kei car's first shaken is after 3 years. After that it is every two years no matter how old it is.
And then every year once the car turns 10. (My comment above, "I've always thought it was 10 years" refers to the point ITK was making about the govt. wanting the masses to buy a new car. Most people tend to replace their car once it turns 10 cause they don't want to pay shaken annually, hence my thinking is the govt. is trying to get the masses to buy a new car after 10 yrs, not 3. I think it would be too expensive for most ppl to get a new car after 3 years.)
Wage Slave wrote:I don't think it is expensive at all in comparison with other countries. I pay about 65k for a Honda Fit each time. And that includes basic minimum insurance for two more years.
My wife pays ours so I don't know exactly how much it is but it's over 100K yen (we've got a Prius). I seem to think it's closer to 150K yen but I could be wrong. I can't say I've thought too much about it. It is what it is, we need a car, so we pay it. And we can't afford to replace our car every few years (well, we can, but it's such a bad invest we'd lose money hand over foot and I don't see the point). Ours is coming up on 9 years this year so we've got about 15 months left of shaken before it it hits the dreaded 10 and we need to do it again, and annually from that point. Not sure what we'll do. Although I've got my eye on a Lexus hatchback (CT200 or something) so wouldn't mind getting a fairly new second hand one of those. Other than that, I can't say I pay much attention to cars so not sure what is out there. No doubt we'll get another hybrid again though cause they are just so good on the gas.
"Yous guys talk a lotta shit. I'm much more smarter than all a yous." - Samurai Jerk after being owned by the Let's Japan crew.

Wage Slave
Shockproof shit detector
Shockproof shit detector

Unread post by Wage Slave » Fri Jul 08, 2016 2:38 pm

MacGyver wrote:
Wage Slave wrote:A normal or Kei car's first shaken is after 3 years. After that it is every two years no matter how old it is.
And then every year once the car turns 10. (My comment above, "I've always thought it was 10 years" refers to the point ITK was making about the govt. wanting the masses to buy a new car. Most people tend to replace their car once it turns 10 cause they don't want to pay shaken annually, hence my thinking is the govt. is trying to get the masses to buy a new car after 10 yrs, not 3. I think it would be too expensive for most ppl to get a new car after 3 years.)
Wage Slave wrote:I don't think it is expensive at all in comparison with other countries. I pay about 65k for a Honda Fit each time. And that includes basic minimum insurance for two more years.
My wife pays ours so I don't know exactly how much it is but it's over 100K yen (we've got a Prius). I seem to think it's closer to 150K yen but I could be wrong. I can't say I've thought too much about it. It is what it is, we need a car, so we pay it. And we can't afford to replace our car every few years (well, we can, but it's such a bad invest we'd lose money hand over foot and I don't see the point). Ours is coming up on 9 years this year so we've got about 15 months left of shaken before it it hits the dreaded 10 and we need to do it again, and annually from that point. Not sure what we'll do. Although I've got my eye on a Lexus hatchback (CT200 or something) so wouldn't mind getting a fairly new second hand one of those. Other than that, I can't say I pay much attention to cars so not sure what is out there. No doubt we'll get another hybrid again though cause they are just so good on the gas.
Why do you think you have to do shaken every year after ten years? I have a car over 10 years old - I have to get it done every two years. Look here if you still insist.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motor-veh ... al_periods

Like most things in Japan you can pay a lot for something or you can do some shopping around and get it much cheaper or you can do it yourself and get it cheaper still. A Prius of any age should cost far less than that:

Don't hesitate to spoil the ship for a ha'porth of tar. You'll get credit for saving the ha'penny and someone else will get the blame for losing the ship.

MacGyver
Shockproof shit detector
Shockproof shit detector

Unread post by MacGyver » Fri Jul 08, 2016 3:12 pm

Wage Slave wrote:Why do you think you have to do shaken every year after ten years? I have a car over 10 years old - I have to get it done every two years. Look here if you still insist.
Heh, I thought it was annually after 10 years. I guess not. Like I say wife does it so I don't pay too much attention to it.
Wage Slave wrote:Like most things in Japan you can pay a lot for something or you can do some shopping around and get it much cheaper or you can do it yourself and get it cheaper still. A Prius of any age should cost far less than that:
Will check once the wife gets home as to exact amount, but FIL used to work for Toyota so out of respect to him, we get it done where he gets it done (the Toyota dealership). Same with buying cars. Wife doesn't want to get anything other than a Toyota cause of FIL and she knows everyone at the dealership, so....

Wage Slave
Shockproof shit detector
Shockproof shit detector

Unread post by Wage Slave » Fri Jul 08, 2016 3:24 pm

MacGyver wrote: Will check once the wife gets home as to exact amount, but FIL used to work for Toyota so out of respect to him, we get it done where he gets it done (the Toyota dealership). Same with buying cars. Wife doesn't want to get anything other than a Toyota cause of FIL and she knows everyone at the dealership, so....
And that's of course fine but it's an expensive way of doing it. I never trouble the dealer except to take the car for recalls or to buy spare parts. There is no government inspired financial obstacle to running an old car in Japan - quite the reverse. It's just people here have been persuaded by the motor trade that a car with 50,000km is all but worn out. A lot have also been persuaded you have to change the oil every six months even though the makers say every 12 months. A lot more are successfully upsold a pile of unnecessary work to be done at Shaken time. Brake cleaning, new spark plugs, new fluids etc.

But it's all voluntary and they don't keep it up for long once you make it clear you aren't going to fall for it.

In The Know
Cassandra
Cassandra

J-car reliability

Unread post by In The Know » Fri Jul 08, 2016 10:27 pm

Wage Slave wrote:It's just people here have been persuaded by the motor trade that a car with 50,000km is all but worn out.
So true. I have a 2005 Honda CR-V with 170,000 miles/240,000 km that will not die! Oil changes and the odd replacement part here and there (that I have always done myself). Seriously, the Honda 2.4 liter engine in it will go to 500,000 km without worries. No rust on the outside, interior is still practically new. I prefer Mazda, but nearly anything Japanese is great. I also have a 2004 MX-5 Miata that still drives and looks like new.

One thing though, unlike in America, you don't see any rusty, junk beaters with bad brakes in Japan. The shaken system weeds those rolling wrecks-waiting-to-happen out of the roadway, which is good.

allblacks
Drop Kick Artist
Drop Kick Artist

Unread post by allblacks » Sat Jul 09, 2016 3:36 pm

Apparently once a car hits 18 years old in Japan you must do shaken every year. That would put most people off wouldn't it.
Donald Trump "You know what Uranium does? Lots of things, nuclear and like lots of things."

Wage Slave
Shockproof shit detector
Shockproof shit detector

Unread post by Wage Slave » Sat Jul 09, 2016 5:09 pm

allblacks wrote:Apparently once a car hits 18 years old in Japan you must do shaken every year. That would put most people off wouldn't it.
First I've heard of it - Do you have a link? 18 years is pushing it a bit for repairs - Honda, for example, keep a full range of spares for 15. And by then most people would have put quite a few kilometres on a car. But, there are routine tales of J cars in the states getting well past 200k miles.

I think it depends If the car is still running well and if you actually like it. If so, then why not? My Honda is at about 14 years and 100k. I'm in no hurry to replace it and have no plans - it's dirt cheap motoring. We will see, but the most likely thing to kill it off would be the air-conditioning failing or something like that. If that happens the cost of the repair would be better invested in another car with about 50k on it.

By the way, there is a higher rate of car tax applied to older cars. That was introduced a couple of years ago on cars over, I think, 12 years old. In my case that was an extra 10,000 a year. No at all welcome but far from a dealbreaker given the other savings.

sirwanksalot
Masturbateur
Masturbateur

Unread post by sirwanksalot » Mon Jul 11, 2016 2:18 pm

oops
Last edited by sirwanksalot on Mon Jul 11, 2016 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sirwanksalot
Masturbateur
Masturbateur

Unread post by sirwanksalot » Mon Jul 11, 2016 2:19 pm

Wage Slave wrote:
I think it depends If the car is still running well and if you actually like it. If so, then why not? My Honda is at about 14 years and 100k. I'm in no hurry to replace it and have no plans - it's dirt cheap motoring. We will see, but the most likely thing to kill it off would be the air-conditioning failing or something like that. If that happens the cost of the repair would be better invested in another car with about 50k on it.

By the way, there is a higher rate of car tax applied to older cars. That was introduced a couple of years ago on cars over, I think, 12 years old. In my case that was an extra 10,000 a year. No at all welcome but far from a dealbreaker given the other savings.
I have a 17 year old Hiace with 297000 on the odometer that has a broken AC. I think it's about time to buy a newish car. Butt I love my Hiace.

MacGyver
Shockproof shit detector
Shockproof shit detector

Unread post by MacGyver » Mon Jul 11, 2016 2:54 pm

allblacks wrote:Apparently once a car hits 18 years old in Japan you must do shaken every year. That would put most people off wouldn't it.
Perhaps that's where I got the idea of every year after 10. Only out by 8 years...
Wage Slave wrote:18 years is pushing it a bit for repairs - Honda, for example, keep a full range of spares for 15. And by then most people would have put quite a few kilometres on a car. But, there are routine tales of J cars in the states getting well past 200k miles.
In Oz also. My uncle said he got several hundred thousand out of his car many years ago (he did say a number but I can't recall) as he lived 400 kms from Perth in the country but visited once a week as his kids were going to private school in the big smoke. Of course what work, if any his car had done though to keep it on the road I have no idea. Not sure what make or model it was either. Anyway, point is Oz being such a big country no doubt many country folk are putting big numbers on their ODOs.

Wage Slave wrote:I think it depends If the car is still running well and if you actually like it. If so, then why not? My Honda is at about 14 years and 100k. I'm in no hurry to replace it and have no plans - it's dirt cheap motoring.
To be honest, as much as I am keen on the Lexus I mentioned, I'm happy to keep our Prius for as long as possible. We don't drive it that much and it runs well so until we can no longer run it or it makes financial sense to replace it, no doubt we'll keep it. Cars are such a bad investment I wouldn't have one at all if I didn't need it.

allblacks
Drop Kick Artist
Drop Kick Artist

Unread post by allblacks » Tue Jul 12, 2016 12:25 am

Well guys all your parts needs can be satisfied on yahoo auctions Japan. It's amazing what they have on there.

Have you tried to regas that air conditioning unit Wanks? The gas in a can it's cheap. If it leaks out and stops working pretty obvious conclusion. But you could source a air con unit and just replace that also.
Donald Trump "You know what Uranium does? Lots of things, nuclear and like lots of things."

sirwanksalot
Masturbateur
Masturbateur

Unread post by sirwanksalot » Wed Jul 13, 2016 11:21 am

allblacks wrote:Well guys all your parts needs can be satisfied on yahoo auctions Japan. It's amazing what they have on there.

Have you tried to regas that air conditioning unit Wanks? The gas in a can it's cheap. If it leaks out and stops working pretty obvious conclusion. But you could source a air con unit and just replace that also.
Got plenty of gas in it. It's the compressor that's bad.

allblacks
Drop Kick Artist
Drop Kick Artist

Unread post by allblacks » Mon Aug 22, 2016 7:20 am

Right... So it's almost shaken time and I need to make a choice.

Even though I love my Subaru I have wanted a Mazda Axela turbo for years. One has come up at my local dealer for a reasonable price and very low kms. 27000 to be precise.

I'll be test driving and viewing it in two weeks. Can't wait.

Edogaijin
Eikaiwa Hero
Eikaiwa Hero

Unread post by Edogaijin » Mon Aug 22, 2016 4:42 pm

My shaken is due next month. Quoted a little over ¥160000. Forester 2007 model. 152,000km. I bought it new and am thinking of getting a new one but still have 2 years of college fees to go with my son. The timing belt will be due around 200,000km... Love my car but the mileage is not great with the amount of driving I do.
10km per litre...average.
Already have a long 'short' list of what I'm interested in.......Will have 2 years to figure it out.
Didn't like the look of the Prius but this year's model looks good.
The Hybrid Subaru XV 2016 model still haven't released the mileage...I don't think it will be very good...

I really love driving a 4WD, but not sure if I need it. Anytime I drive anything but a Subaru it feels like I'm driving a toy...

allblacks
Drop Kick Artist
Drop Kick Artist

Unread post by allblacks » Tue Aug 23, 2016 6:58 pm

They are probably taking the piss. You could do the shaken yourself for cheaper I reckon. The problem with that is taking the time to do it.

Is it Autobacs mate?

Edogaijin
Eikaiwa Hero
Eikaiwa Hero

Unread post by Edogaijin » Wed Aug 24, 2016 12:51 am

I've had all my shaken with the Subaru dealer, plus I can't be arsed doing it myself either. Tax included in that price of ¥55000. Would rather spend my time watching grass grow or something else I should be doing.
They also have a pretty good maintenance program...every six months that is more trustworthy than the local garage.

allblacks
Drop Kick Artist
Drop Kick Artist

Unread post by allblacks » Wed Sep 07, 2016 9:26 am

Well I decided to keep my Legacy rather than buying a new car.

Shaken due next month so I went down to Autobacs and got a estimate on it. They came back with 135000 yen.

It's a bit too much in my opinion. They want 26000 in their fee plus other work charges and document fees.

Booked my inspection for the 20th. I'll just risk the repairs that Autobacs claimed needed doing. Minor stuff only. We'll see.

allblacks
Drop Kick Artist
Drop Kick Artist

Unread post by allblacks » Tue Sep 20, 2016 9:59 pm

Got back from the vehicle test today. Long story short, they passed my car as it was without any issues at all.

Total cost for my car was 57000 all inclusive. I saved the 80000 or so and can use that for minor maintenance stuff and kids stuff.

The Typhoon wss a blessing in disguise as basically no one was there until eleven a.m.

Edogaijin
Eikaiwa Hero
Eikaiwa Hero

Unread post by Edogaijin » Sat Nov 12, 2016 10:58 pm

Any of you using those new fangled driver recorders?

My old radar detector died last week and I thought I'd replace it with something similar. After visiting Yellow Hat and Autobacs I see technology has gone nuts and there are all these nerd loving gadgets.

I'm now interested in installing a camera and a radar drive recorder with it plugged into the OBD port under my steering wheel.

Quite overwhelmed with the choices and trying to get everything I want without spending 30000 or more....

Comtec look great but have seen some bad reviews.
Yupiteru look a bit plain but have some good reviews...

Then there are the camera options...

Anyway..... anybody got any advice?

I drive a lot and it is close to getting a speeding ticket time soon based on averages...plus a few extra gadgets in the car may make the drives a tiny bit more interesting.

This has my attention...
https://www.amazon.co.jp/%E3%80%90%E3%8 ... comtec+802

The GPS radar though won't help me much when they set up those random roadside rat traps....

Have there been laws put in place banning those kinds of detectors?

blah blah...

allblacks
Drop Kick Artist
Drop Kick Artist

Unread post by allblacks » Sun Nov 13, 2016 4:34 pm

Radar stuff? No idea. I've got a drive cam hooked into my nav system. Chucked a 32gb SD card that records every trip.

Comtec stuff is fairly good quality. I'd buy it as well.

allblacks
Drop Kick Artist
Drop Kick Artist

Unread post by allblacks » Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:29 pm

I've been slowly fixing up my Subaru the last few years. Lots of fun doing that indeed.

Have been thinking about getting a second car for the wife to use. Might buy a dented up job and fix it myself and give it to her as a present. Parts are really easy to get on yahoo and cheap too. Got some time after golden week to kill as well. YouTube is absolutely indispensable for repairs. Just brilliant.

allblacks
Drop Kick Artist
Drop Kick Artist

Unread post by allblacks » Thu May 11, 2017 9:20 pm

Bought this little Daihatsu Tanto today for the wife. She's undecided yet. Getting it tomorrow probably.
Attachments
20170511_201839.jpg

allblacks
Drop Kick Artist
Drop Kick Artist

Unread post by allblacks » Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:07 am

Well it is time for me to upgrade my car situation. I was hoping to do this next year or something but a really nice 2015 Subaru Levorg (new Legacy) came along and I cant resist! Got a 5 year unlimited KM warranty with it too.

Check it out.