Curling

A forum for sports talk.
Forum rules
The basic forum rules are here :wink: . Refer to the BBCode Guide for information on using BBCode tags, plus this post about additional tags for embedding video.

Curling

Unread postby Big Shane » Tue Jul 15, 2008 5:57 pm

Anyone else here enjoy watching Curling? I love it.

I really got into it during the Winter Olympics in 2006. Unfortunately there has been no coverage of any curling tournaments or matches since the frenzy surrounding the Japanese womens team in Turin. It was awesome to see Ayumi Onodera throw the last skip and lead her team to a credible 7th place. I really enjoy watching the teams discussing their strategies before they let the skip go especially during high pressure situations

Can someone tell me where I can see some live tournaments in Japan this winter or if any TV channels will be showing any matches?

I really need my curling fix otherwise I may have to seek out and begin to appreciate another equally enthralling sport with more media coverage such as Marathon running which seems to be shown most Sundays on free-to-air TV.

Cheers,

BS
I enjoy plasticine related activities.
Big Shane
Frustrated Realist
Frustrated Realist

Re: Curling

Unread postby Stick-Swinging Incident » Tue Jul 15, 2008 10:15 pm

Well you're gonna have to wait a few months for the bonspiels to fire up.
But, if you don't care about the team and only want to see Curling... TSN ALSO has it streamed and on demand... SO.. if you got a curling itch... head on over to TSN.CA.

BTW might be fun to watch but its better to play it... had it as an elective in HS (it was that or square dancing... goddamn redneck canadian schools!!! :omfg:)
§
Stick-Swinging Incident
9 miles of bad road
9 miles of bad road

Unread postby chimpsky » Wed Jul 16, 2008 4:29 pm

yeah definitely much more fun to play then watch... man i can't believe you actually had an elective for curling, stick... that's friggin sweet!! my high school was filled with 80% guyanese, jamaicans, and indians but we still headed a team in which the only caucasian guy with a curling pedigree was the skip, needless to say we didn't fair to well... hella fun though beats housecleaning that's fer sure! :D
chimpsky
Hopeless Drone
Hopeless Drone

Unread postby Stick-Swinging Incident » Wed Jul 16, 2008 10:54 pm

I heard somewhere (dunno if its an urban myth) that Curling is one of the most dangerous sports, as in a lot of people die while playing.

The fact that its -5 or more inside on the sheets and slippery as bejesus (hip replacement anyone) and as well most people are well over 50 playing it... I can see the point.
Hell I was winded sweeping the whole way down the sheet, we used to start 3/4s the way down just cause we were lazy... hell its HS. 8)

Now mind you our school had a 6 weeks set aside for football (american style). But the PTA Nixed it, cause its DANGEROUS. So we dropped the pads, and played 2 hand to ground speedball. (exactly the same rules as CFL football with no field goals 8) We only had punts.

THAT was fun! But hint, NEVER wear basketball shoes trying to play wide reciever. Yeah, as a Full back they might help but as a wide reciever its like you have ankle weights on. Oddly enough tennis shoes worked so well.

Ah I miss drop-in style sports. When it gets organized, it gets political and all that crap but just playing and you go with whoevers on the team... thats fun.
Now if I could half my age I might be up for PLAYING the sports these days heheh.
§
Stick-Swinging Incident
9 miles of bad road
9 miles of bad road

Unread postby Shawn » Wed Jul 16, 2008 11:37 pm

Stick-Swinging Incident wrote:I heard somewhere (dunno if its an urban myth) that Curling is one of the most dangerous sports, as in a lot of people die while playing.

The fact that its -5 or more inside on the sheets and slippery as bejesus (hip replacement anyone) and as well most people are well over 50 playing it... I can see the point.
Hell I was winded sweeping the whole way down the sheet, we used to start 3/4s the way down just cause we were lazy... hell its HS. 8)

You forget to add throwing heavy rocks around. :wink: I've only curled a few times, but I liked it. Hell of a fun sport. 8)

Get involved with the Eikaiwa Wiki

RSS Feeds: Blog :: Blog comments :: Forums
Shawn
Site Admin
Site Admin

Location: At Mitch & Murray, holding on to the good leads and preparing sets of steak knives

Unread postby Stick-Swinging Incident » Thu Jul 17, 2008 1:49 am

Seriously, who doesn't like the idea of firing a 20 KG stone zipping down the ice to crash into 3 or 4 OTHER 20kg stones.... REPEATEDLY!!!

:twisted:
§
Stick-Swinging Incident
9 miles of bad road
9 miles of bad road

Unread postby Big Shane » Thu Jul 17, 2008 10:17 pm

Stick-Swinging Incident wrote:Seriously, who doesn't like the idea of firing a 20 KG stone zipping down the ice to crash into 3 or 4 OTHER 20kg stones.... REPEATEDLY!!!

I just love the way they all take it so seriously as they prepare to release the skip --- and the tension is unbearable as they are furiously scrubbing the ice to force the skip forward those extra few millimetres for a win!!
Big Shane
Frustrated Realist
Frustrated Realist

Unread postby Stick-Swinging Incident » Fri Jul 18, 2008 2:28 am

I dunno, my PE teacher swore he could bring a rock another 20 feet down the ice if its T-line weight, just by brushing. Dunno if thats true or not, but thats a hell of a lot of brushing if you ask me...
But its not really how deep it goes (AVOID THE PUNS>>> AVOID THE PUNS) its how quickly or slowly you curl it... ie sweeping it keeps it from digging in and curling... but letting it bite as they say, causes it to swing... and once it does, its going to keep going you can't it back after that, like watching your car slip out of gear and go down the hill at 10 Kms an hour... its not fast but you KNOW its gonna hurt when it stops.

I dunno, its not as easy as it may look... but it is fun.
§
Stick-Swinging Incident
9 miles of bad road
9 miles of bad road

Curling more popular than Baseball??

Unread postby Big Shane » Fri Jul 18, 2008 6:14 pm

Well according to the thread view counts it seems Curling is much more popular than Japanese Pro Baseball amongst LJers!!
Big Shane
Frustrated Realist
Frustrated Realist

Unread postby Stick-Swinging Incident » Fri Jul 18, 2008 6:48 pm

I think Curling is one of those guilty pleasures...

If younger people played it (say Junior level) and the attire was on par with say Figure Skating, I think the popularity would BOOM, into the realm of Figure skating or syncro swimming. Cause we know why they are popular. Hell I think both of them rank higher than hockey in the US for number of TV viewers...
§
Stick-Swinging Incident
9 miles of bad road
9 miles of bad road

Unread postby Big Shane » Fri Jul 18, 2008 11:11 pm

Stick-Swinging Incident wrote:I think Curling is one of those guilty pleasures...

You mean like pulling on a pair of frilly nickers after a bad day at work?? :)
Big Shane
Frustrated Realist
Frustrated Realist

Unread postby Stick-Swinging Incident » Sat Jul 19, 2008 2:06 am

Big Shane wrote:
Stick-Swinging Incident wrote:I think Curling is one of those guilty pleasures...

You mean like pulling on a pair of frilly nickers after a bad day at work?? :)

Tad too much information... and slightly not related to Curling, now if you had a broom in hand... it'd be kosher!

What else is there to say about Curling... er there was at least one movie about it, Men with Brooms... good Canadian flick with Leslie Neilson... Don't rent it, but if its on, have a boo, if nothing else its a good look at winter in the Canadian sticks!
§
Stick-Swinging Incident
9 miles of bad road
9 miles of bad road

Unread postby Big Shane » Sat Jul 19, 2008 3:30 am

Stick-Swinging Incident wrote:Tad too much information... and slightly not related to Curling, now if you had a broom in hand... it'd be kosher!

What else is there to say about Curling... er there was at least one movie about it, Men with Brooms... good Canadian flick with Leslie Neilson... Don't rent it, but if its on, have a boo, if nothing else its a good look at winter in the Canadian sticks!

I definitely prefer the Japanese Curling movie "Simsons".

"Simsons is a Japanese teenage curling movie that's sure to bring both laughs and tears! Kazuko joins the curling team to get closer to the boy of her dreams, Masato. With a wacky cast of supporting characters, Kazuko works her way through practice to push her team to the Hokkaido National Tournament!"
Big Shane
Frustrated Realist
Frustrated Realist

Unread postby Julio Midnight » Fri Aug 22, 2008 11:55 pm

Some of those 8-story game centers have a curling rink, but they never flood the ice so you gotta throw like a muther.
Julio Midnight
Enthusiastic Newbie
Enthusiastic Newbie

Unread postby Stick-Swinging Incident » Sat Aug 23, 2008 11:38 am

I would assume that curling sheets, like hockey rings, increase in frequency the more north you go.
Japan has a world class curling team (womens at least, not sure about the mens) so I would assume that they have enough sheets to build up a fairly large talent base... Then again, maybe not.

Maybe I'll plan my trips home for christmas and try curling again :eyes:

Say, Anybody know where Big Shane went? 40 posts a day for awhile then runs out of things to correct us on. Darn, missed that old Mug o' his.
Maybe we can drop into a Gyudon shop at 3 am after a bender and see him.
Won't be hard to find him, he is probably the only gaijin working there, EVER, and we all know what he really looks like right? :roll:
§
Stick-Swinging Incident
9 miles of bad road
9 miles of bad road

Unread postby Wage Slave » Sat Aug 23, 2008 12:17 pm

Stick-Swinging Incident wrote:Say, Anybody know where Big Shane went? 40 posts a day for awhile then runs out of things to correct us on. Darn, missed that old Mug o' his.
Maybe we can drop into a Gyudon shop at 3 am after a bender and see him.
Won't be hard to find him, he is probably the only gaijin working there, EVER, and we all know what he really looks like right? :roll:

Maybe too busy can collecting. Summer is probably the peak season. He is right that there is money in it. My father in law, who is an old farmer type, has started doing it now. He doesn't go around collecting but everyone that he knows and in the family now hoards their cans and takes them to his place when we visit. :D

Last time I took cans to our rubbish collection facility there was a Brazilian couple there with a K truck collecting them all and saying arigato with even worse pronunciation than me to all and sundry.
Don't hesitate to spoil the ship for a ha'porth of tar. You'll get credit for saving the ha'penny and someone else will get the blame for losing the ship.
Wage Slave
Shockproof shit detector
Shockproof shit detector

Return to Sports