Japanese Pro Baseball

A forum for sports talk.
Forum rules
The basic forum rules are here :wink: . Refer to the BBCode Guide for information on using BBCode tags, plus this post about additional tags for embedding video.

Japanese Pro Baseball

Unread postby bshabu » Sun Jul 06, 2008 11:54 pm

There doesn't look like there is a lot of interest in this forum for baseball, let alone Japanese Baseball. That being said, I thought I would ask anyway. Does anyone care? I do favor the Tigars. I became a fan when I was a student in Shiga. I have been following them ever since. It seems there are on fire this year. It seems the "Curse of Colonel Sanders" is nearing an end.
"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day." - Frank Sinatra
bshabu
Jaded Veteran
Jaded Veteran

Re: Japanese Pro Baseball

Unread postby MacGyver » Fri Jul 11, 2008 1:38 pm

I go to a couple of games every year and I kind of follow the Dragons. But I can't say I'm a big baseball fan. I'm so into cricket that every time I see a baseball game I can't help but think how inferior the game is in both skill and excitement to cricket that its really hard for me to watch a whole game on TV. Japanese baseball (to me) is just so predictable that there is rarely any excitement or tension. Just seems to me that there are far too many games and most games the players don't give a toss. Not that I blame them when they train and/play most of the year round and play 140-odd games. I think if the season was reduced to 50 to 70 games a year then it might make the players play harder and make the game a bit more exciting. Its hard to get excited about a win or down about a loss at the 40 game mark when there's another 100 to go!!! If you lose today who cares? Got heaps more games to make it up. But if you shortened the season, then it would mean every game had meaning.
"Yous guys talk a lotta shit. I'm much more smarter than all a yous." - Samurai Jerk after being owned by the Let's Japan crew.
MacGyver
Shockproof shit detector
Shockproof shit detector

Unread postby senseiman » Sun Jul 13, 2008 3:34 am

I'm a big fan, though I haven't been able to follow it since I left Japan 3 years ago. I was a huge Tigers fan, used to go to one or two games at Koshien every year. I also went to Orix Blue Waves games in Kobe when Ichiro played for them. Now of course both Ichiro and the Orix Blue Wave are gone!

I used to collect the baseball cards that came with Calbee chips too.

I'm heading to Kyushu this year and am looking forward to taking in some Hawks games while I'm there.
祇園精舎の鐘の聲、諸行無常の響あり。娑羅雙樹の花の色、盛者必衰のことわりをあらはす。おごれる人も久しからず、唯春の夜の夢のごとし。たけき者も遂にほろびぬ、偏に風の前の塵に同じ。
senseiman
9 miles of bad road
9 miles of bad road

Unread postby rsanberg » Fri Aug 01, 2008 5:13 pm

I am a bit odd as I love Baseball (both japanese and US major league) and I am Australian - go figure!
I am a massive fan of the Hiroshima Carp - who can not love a team that has an old Stadium, crap foreign players and always struggle to win games. Got to love the whole 'Underdog' thing.
But things are looking up - The Carp are getting a brand new stadium (due to come into use in time for next season).
I watched heaps of games during my 4 years in japan - used to love sitting in the right field stands with the crazy fans and watch the game. Used to buy a stack of beers from the combi and a bag of ice and drink to my hearts content. I even made another visit when i was back recently on holiday and saw the carp win over the the hated Giants.
I think the introduction of American managers has helped the game in japan - allows a different perspective and thinking on tactics and strategies.
I do think that the level is only Double or Triple A standard - any one agree / any comments?
rsanberg
Fresh & Minty
Fresh & Minty

Unread postby senseiman » Tue Aug 05, 2008 2:51 am

Hard to say about the level. Its definitely higher than Double A, but definitely lower than the Majors. Not sure if Triple A is an accurate description though, mainly because a lot of the star players in Japan are definitely major-league quality stars, whereas in Triple A and major league calibre players get called up to the big league team (as opposed to having to play 6 years before becoming elligible).
祇園精舎の鐘の聲、諸行無常の響あり。娑羅雙樹の花の色、盛者必衰のことわりをあらはす。おごれる人も久しからず、唯春の夜の夢のごとし。たけき者も遂にほろびぬ、偏に風の前の塵に同じ。
senseiman
9 miles of bad road
9 miles of bad road

Unread postby PanicInducingGaijin » Tue Aug 05, 2008 2:10 pm

I would say that it's between AAA and MLB in terms of overall level. Keep in mind that MLB pitching has dramatically worsened on average since expansion in the 1990s. Certainly the best pitchers in MLB are better than the best ones in NPB, but when you get deep into the rotation in teams like the Rangers or the Pirates, just about any pitcher regularly starting in Japan could do better. If you were to swap all the Hanshin pitchers (or even Yomiuri, for that matter) with the Rangers pitchers, the Rangers would be vastly improved, so NPB compares favorably in terms of pitching. With position players, by contrast, there are probably some people starting in Japan on the weaker teams that would be in AA in the US. In general, though, I think most NPB teams could beat most AAA teams.
A PanicInducingGwailo since 2009
PanicInducingGaijin
9 miles of bad road
9 miles of bad road

Unread postby AmishChief » Thu Aug 07, 2008 2:55 pm

I'm a fan of NPB if my avatar is any indication. There are a few reasons I like it.

#1: (By far the biggest reason) The atmosphere of games. Even the basement dwellers seem to have a dedicated fan base that is fairly loud during the games. A huge improvement over the MLB teams I grew up watching.
#2: Chunichi Dragons. They are a powerful team, and as an ultimate fairweather sports fan, they're hard *not* to like.
#3: Common ground topic with lots of people here. From my girlfriend's father to a majority of the boys I teach at my school, it's hard not to talk about something baseball related. NPB, Dragons, or otherwise.

The first game I went to was a Dragons vs. Tigers game, and I have to admit some of the stuff the Tigers fans did was a bit crazy. That being said, with their current run of luck, I wouldn't be surprised if they break the Colonel's Curse!
AmishChief
Hopeless Drone
Hopeless Drone

Unread postby senseiman » Fri Aug 08, 2008 7:16 am

The main thing I like about the Chunichi Dragons is that they were Tom Selleck's team in "Mr. Baseball", the single greatest motion picture ever made.

Come to think of it, thats the only thing I like about the Chunichi Dragons! :P
senseiman
9 miles of bad road
9 miles of bad road

Unread postby AmishChief » Fri Aug 08, 2008 11:39 am

senseiman wrote:The main thing I like about the Chunichi Dragons is that they were Tom Selleck's team in "Mr. Baseball", the single greatest motion picture ever made.

Come to think of it, thats the only thing I like about the Chunichi Dragons! :P

You lived in Himeji, I'll let that slide ;)

Tigers fans have spirit and are loyal, I'll give them that. However, the only time I've actually seen garbage thrown on the field during a game was thanks to Tigers fans.
AmishChief
Hopeless Drone
Hopeless Drone

Return to Sports