Rugby Union

A forum for sports talk.
Forum rules
The basic forum rules are here :wink: . Refer to the BBCode Guide for information on using BBCode tags, plus this post about additional tags for embedding video.
AsahiSupaSpy
Eikaiwa Hero
Eikaiwa Hero

Re: Rugby Union

Unread post by AsahiSupaSpy » Thu Sep 22, 2011 3:10 pm

Excellent points well made :thumbsup:

Pity the Brave Blossoms didn`t bring their game with them last night. Had they faced the Kingdom of Tonga the way they did the All Blacks and especially the Frogs it might have been a very different story, particularly with the Tongans being reduced to 14, twice. Alridge couldn`t have hit water if he had fallen out of a boat, and the rest of them seemed to be dropping the ball and giving it away like it was going out of fashion. Was it 13 or 14 handling errors by the end? Something like that anyways. Exciting game in parts. It should be an interesting match between Japan and Canada.

Tonight, South Africa take on the might of Namibia. If you like to see tries being scored you may want to watch this one. But if, like me, you invariably root for the underdog it might not be such a healthy match to watch. Hopefully Namibia will surprise me.
Do NOT arrest this man.

allblacks

Unread post by allblacks » Tue Sep 27, 2011 4:52 pm

Yep and Arlidge or whatever his fucking name is missed the drop goal that could have gotten the first win in 20 years.

Fuck it all to hell!

Ive supported the Japan team since the 99 world cup. I remember in 2003 when the referee fucked up and cost them the game. It kind of happened again today down on the Canadian 22. They were off their feet and no penalty was given. They say this when the Allblacks lose at world cups but 4 MORE YEARS!

DAMMIT

AsahiSupaSpy
Eikaiwa Hero
Eikaiwa Hero

Unread post by AsahiSupaSpy » Wed Sep 28, 2011 10:48 am

Exciting game though, wasn`t it?

Japan kind of gave it away in the second half although full credit to the Canucks for keeping their heads and crawling back for the tie. van der Merve and McKenzie both made awesome runs and Monro (no 10?) nailed a difficult kick under pressure, despite having missed one from in front of the posts earlier.

As for the AllBlacks, I am getting that sinking feeling again. They played awesome against France so now of course everybody is talking about them getting into the finals, the press is going on about how undefeatable they are and how they can do no wrong and how comprehensive their game is yada yada. It is all a little too familiar. Look forward to them going down to the weakest team they could possibly face in the second half of their quarter or semi. Oh I hope to god I am wrong.
Do NOT arrest this man.

allblacks

Unread post by allblacks » Wed Sep 28, 2011 1:59 pm

AsahiSupaSpy wrote:Exciting game though, wasn`t it?

Japan kind of gave it away in the second half although full credit to the Canucks for keeping their heads and crawling back for the tie. van der Merve and McKenzie both made awesome runs and Monro (no 10?) nailed a difficult kick under pressure, despite having missed one from in front of the posts earlier.

As for the AllBlacks, I am getting that sinking feeling again. They played awesome against France so now of course everybody is talking about them getting into the finals, the press is going on about how undefeatable they are and how they can do no wrong and how comprehensive their game is yada yada. It is all a little too familiar. Look forward to them going down to the weakest team they could possibly face in the second half of their quarter or semi. Oh I hope to god I am wrong.
Last time one of the headlines in the herald was how the Allblacks would bleed for NZ. (http://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/ar ... d=10460991)

Yeah and then they lost to France.

Where we are going it will only take one loss to sink it right? Thats my understanding.

Wage Slave
Shockproof shit detector
Shockproof shit detector

Unread post by Wage Slave » Sun Oct 02, 2011 10:41 am

Carter has a serious groin injury contracted during training. Very very sad news:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/rugby_u ... 135350.stm
Don't hesitate to spoil the ship for a ha'porth of tar. You'll get credit for saving the ha'penny and someone else will get the blame for losing the ship.

allblacks

Unread post by allblacks » Mon Oct 03, 2011 2:36 pm

Dont know what to say about Carter. He had a similar thing last time. Needless to say his Allblacks career will continue but the world cups are probably over for him. In 4 years he will be 33 or something. Wont be around I think.

Moving on to the quarters.

Unfortunately I think NZ will not beat Argentina. That is my prediction. Prove me wrong Allblacks! Piri Weepu should do all the kicking from now on. The other guy they brought in was crap.

France will beat England. They need to send a message about themselves. England is out of form and deserve to go home. Ireland will beat Wales. The other night they were great. Playing well and will not disappoint fans. South Africa are too old. Aussies will beat them 30-15. Next time develop your squad better.

BergKatse
Hopeless Drone
Hopeless Drone

Unread post by BergKatse » Mon Oct 03, 2011 4:44 pm

I hope Argentina put up a fight but New Zealand look frighteningly good, Carter's injury notwithstanding. I fear Argentina will be given such a beating they'll cry for their mummies.

HOWEVER! I'm really looking forward to seeing how they'll perform in the next world cup because there'll be an Argentine team in the Super Rugby competition starting next year. Four years of that on top of the experience many of their players already get in the European leagues should make them a very strong team... in theory, anyway.

Wage Slave
Shockproof shit detector
Shockproof shit detector

Unread post by Wage Slave » Mon Oct 03, 2011 11:08 pm

C'mon ABs, Argentina will get well and truly stuffed by New Zealand. France will either continue to implode or suddenly decide to play absolutely brilliantly and beat England in style. You just never know with that lot. The betting is on continued implosion but who knows. If they play like they did the other day, then England will beat them even though they looked pretty clueless most of the time against Scotland. Wales are a bit like France these days - you never know which Wales is going to be on the pitch. They are building a good run so I think they could give Ireland a very good run for their money. Too close to call that one. Oz vs SA - Oz have not been all that convincing so far. I think SA might well take them reasonably comfortably.
Don't hesitate to spoil the ship for a ha'porth of tar. You'll get credit for saving the ha'penny and someone else will get the blame for losing the ship.

RalphWiggum
LJ Oracle
LJ Oracle

Unread post by RalphWiggum » Mon Oct 03, 2011 11:55 pm

No-one has stood out as better than everyone else yet. Going into the knockout phase there isn't a team left in there (with the exception of maybe Argentina) that isn't capable of winning it. I think it'll be an Ireland v NZ final.
Shit wank bollocks

AsahiSupaSpy
Eikaiwa Hero
Eikaiwa Hero

Unread post by AsahiSupaSpy » Tue Oct 04, 2011 3:11 pm

allblacks wrote:Unfortunately I think NZ will not beat Argentina.
Any other day, any other game, all New Zealanders would say the All Blacks will smash Argentina, but because we are in the knockout stages of a World Cup...totally different story. Agree with Weepu to replace Carter. More rounded and experienced than...I am gonna say Slade, but not sure of the name.

England`s 10 man rugby will beat France`s 15.

South Africa has just looked better than Australia all tournament and my money is on them, but you never know with the Aussies, they are always able to turn it on at the big events.

Ireland v Wales? Really have no idea, but don`t really care. I loved both countries when I was there.

Gun to my head, Wales v South Africa final.
Do NOT arrest this man.

allblacks

Unread post by allblacks » Tue Oct 04, 2011 3:30 pm

That was right. Slade I thought too.

Anyway, I hate myself for saying that but without Dan Carter we are in the shit. Dont care if Richie McJaws (lol) plays or not.

Even if we do manage to beat them the next opponent will be Aussie or the Boks. I just dont think we can get past either of them without DC. Then after that if we make it an even more in form team?

I guess Im just very critical of the ABs after their 24 years or something in the wilderness. The constant fuck ups. The moaning afterwards. The accusations of food poisoning.

I will say this though. Failing this time in NZ would really be a kick in the balls for NZ rugby.

AsahiSupaSpy
Eikaiwa Hero
Eikaiwa Hero

Unread post by AsahiSupaSpy » Tue Oct 04, 2011 5:26 pm

Especially with the NZRFU saying they may not be able to send the All Blacks to the 2015 World Cup, due to money issues or whatever bullshit.

And with three more big games to win, against in- form teams, in a World Cup, without Carter, and McCaw with a bad foot?

Nah, fuck it. Go the All Blacks!!!
Do NOT arrest this man.

allblacks

Unread post by allblacks » Wed Oct 05, 2011 2:27 pm

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/union ... 1l7cd.html
The Sydney Morning Herald is reporting from the tournament without official accreditation. Fairfax Media, publisher of the Herald, baulked at signing accreditation documents which would have left each in a worse commercial position than if they covered the tournament outside official channels. The IRB demanded publishers not put ads next to clips of the tournament, despite copyright law in Australia allowing it.
For fucks sake! Tell them to piss off! Freedom of the press and the publics right to know! Fuck off IRB!

allblacks

Unread post by allblacks » Fri Oct 07, 2011 7:50 am

Even more injuries in the ABs camp. Im getting even more skepticaler! lol.

Ok so I will come clean. I hope we do well. But I really dislike Graham Henry and the way he does things. In terms of opponents, I hope the Boks lose. Aussie is a worthy opponent. Then maybe we beat Ireland as someone else said in the final. That would be good.

Examination_Hell
Eikaiwa Hero
Eikaiwa Hero

Unread post by Examination_Hell » Fri Oct 07, 2011 10:13 am

allblacks wrote:I hope the Boks lose. Aussie is a worthy opponent.
Would that then be like the 2003 semi finals? Hmm :-)
Wake up, school, club activities, piano lessons, juku, [s]nova,[/s] english school, challenge school, homework, sleep, wake up, school...

allblacks

Unread post by allblacks » Sat Oct 08, 2011 5:05 pm

Wales wins.

Does anyone else get annoyed at the constant barrage of crap music at the stadiums in NZ? WHY WHY WHY DELILA? Fuck off will ya? We dont want to hear that shit. And goddam it why are we stuck with the same stupid ads between games? Im trying to ignore it but SHHHHHIIIIIITTTT!

Wage Slave
Shockproof shit detector
Shockproof shit detector

Unread post by Wage Slave » Sat Oct 08, 2011 5:30 pm

The Welsh fans are probably guilty on the Why? Why? Why? Delia front. It's our meme - don't ask me why. Something to do with Tom Jones, Shirley Bassey, Tiger Bay and all that.

Anyway. Great performance, and most certainly on a roll now. Hope you are all happy, cos I most certainly am. :cheers:

BergKatse
Hopeless Drone
Hopeless Drone

Unread post by BergKatse » Mon Oct 10, 2011 10:00 am

Argentina continue to impress me. They deserve their top-8 spot in world rankings. Like I said above, I can't wait to see how they go in the next RWC after four years of Super rugby as well as their European experience.

allblacks

Unread post by allblacks » Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:48 pm

Yes. And they almost had us. Seriously I thought we would lose after that first half. Shithouse ABs performance.

BergKatse
Hopeless Drone
Hopeless Drone

Unread post by BergKatse » Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:57 am

allblacks wrote:Yes. And they almost had us. Seriously I thought we would lose after that first half. Shithouse ABs performance.
Really? You thought that was bad? That's a little harsh. I thought they did really well. Their first real challenge in the RWC, the first match where they had to change their game plan and just bide their time, soak up the big hits, take the few penalties on offer and wait until opportunities came. I thought they did just that. Now they play Australia and it's back to the fast-paced stuff again.

Speaking of Australia, wow, what a game. Pocock, Genia and O'Connor were fantastic, but if Quade Cooper plays like that again next week, they Australians might not be so lucky.

And if I might be permitted to waffle on for a bit, I don't buy in to all this "north vs south" hoopla regarding the semifinals. If it was someone like England and Scotland playing the SANZAR teams, then maybe. But Wales and France have never really played the stoic, 10-man game that people associate with the northern hemisphere. To my eye, Wales have always favoured the running game unlike their neighbours, and France are... well, France.

So it's a dream semifinal set-up if you ask me. Okay, the teams will probably be a bit more careful than usual now that they're in the do-or-die phase of the tournament, but they're all teams that favour attacking by using muscle to get forward momentum then giving the ball to the quick men.

allblacks

Unread post by allblacks » Tue Oct 11, 2011 1:04 pm

Cry baby South Africans and whinging poms. Cant say Im too surprised. Especially with the SA v Aus game. SA should have gone for goal so many times. They thought they were being smart. It was a sudden death thing and they go for tries? Even the minnows would have taken the three points. Jeez!

And France just outplayed England. They are just not the side that won in 2003 at all.

RalphWiggum
LJ Oracle
LJ Oracle

Unread post by RalphWiggum » Tue Oct 11, 2011 4:50 pm

allblacks wrote:Cry baby South Africans and whinging poms. Cant say Im too surprised. Especially with the SA v Aus game. SA should have gone for goal so many times. They thought they were being smart. It was a sudden death thing and they go for tries? Even the minnows would have taken the three points. Jeez!

And France just outplayed England. They are just not the side that won in 2003 at all.
Whinging poms? Where? We were shite all tournament. Definitely didn't deserve to progress, and I haven't heard anyone say otherwise.
Shit wank bollocks

allblacks

Unread post by allblacks » Tue Oct 11, 2011 5:20 pm

If the ABs had lost it would be me complaining. Dont you worry. I even think I did somewhere here last time. lol

allblacks

Unread post by allblacks » Fri Oct 14, 2011 4:50 pm

Dear NZ NATIONAL RUGBY TEAM

Please dont let the country down again like you did in 1999, 2003, 2007 etc. We really need a win and I promise I will be a good boy if you do flog the Aussies. Extra bonus points if you smash Quade Cooper. He is a little bugger.

angryboy
Busdriver
Busdriver

Unread post by angryboy » Fri Oct 14, 2011 5:44 pm

allblacks wrote:Dear NZ NATIONAL RUGBY TEAM

Please dont let the country down again like you did in 1999, 2003, 2007 etc. We really need a win and I promise I will be a good boy if you do flog the Aussies. Extra bonus points if you smash Quade Cooper. He is a little bugger.
And a win by the Aussies will put them atop the world rankings.Something
your average Kiwi just can`t stomach!!
Roll on Aussie!
[quote="valve-bouncer"]Fuck me, I hope to christ you are a troll because the possibility of someone so mind-numbingly boring as you walking amongst us gives me the fear.[/quote]

Wage Slave
Shockproof shit detector
Shockproof shit detector

Unread post by Wage Slave » Fri Oct 14, 2011 9:22 pm

Right. I'll probably regret this, cup rugby being what it is, but .......

Wales played really well last weekend to beat Ireland. All they have to do is repeat that and it will be good enough to roll France over. Even if they have a bit of bad luck they should win and progress to the final. France remain a team that can amaze on the day though so nothing is guaranteed.

I don't actually think the past is a good guide to the future in this case. Australia have been patchy and NZ have been consistently very good. I don't think that NZ are going to lose this match and if things pan out badly for Australia, they could lose pretty heavily. So NZ through to the final unless the psychology intervenes again.

If that all happens then It's difficult to see Wales as anything but the underdog in the final. They will need to play right at the top of their game and have some significant luck to win. It's not impossible but it isn't the most likely outcome either.

Exciting and unfamiliar stuff for Wales after so long off the pace. Even if they lose against France, it has been a stirring performance and one that promises much more in the future.

AsahiSupaSpy
Eikaiwa Hero
Eikaiwa Hero

Unread post by AsahiSupaSpy » Sat Oct 15, 2011 10:10 am

France had their one half per world cup of excellent rugby against England last weekend, and the in-form Wales should be able to outrun them despite having lost Priestland to a shoulder injury.

Australia hasn't won at Eden Park in the last 12 meetings, New Zealand has never beaten Australia in a World Cup but guess each game should be taken on its own merits. The Aussie back line could possibly be a tad underpowered depending on Beale and McCabes fitness but the key match up looks to be Pocock v McCaw at 7. Don't know much about Cruden so I am going to give Cooper the nod at no. 10.

Picking a Wales v New Zealand final but in saying that, was only 50% right at quarter finals time

Go All Blacks
Do NOT arrest this man.

BergKatse
Hopeless Drone
Hopeless Drone

Unread post by BergKatse » Sat Oct 15, 2011 7:55 pm

Well, based on the evidence of the Wales-France semifinal, whoever wins the other semifinal will be odds-on to win the final. France were awful.

RalphWiggum
LJ Oracle
LJ Oracle

Unread post by RalphWiggum » Sat Oct 15, 2011 8:13 pm

I'm no fan of Wales as I've said before, but I'm gutted for them today. Alain Rolland ruins ANOTHER WC game...
Shit wank bollocks

Wage Slave
Shockproof shit detector
Shockproof shit detector

Unread post by Wage Slave » Sat Oct 15, 2011 8:27 pm

I just despair. How did Wales lose that? And yes it was a crap game too.