Rugby Union

A forum for sports talk.
Forum rules
The basic forum rules are here :wink: . Refer to the BBCode Guide for information on using BBCode tags, plus this post about additional tags for embedding video.
BergKatse
Hopeless Drone
Hopeless Drone

Re: Rugby Union

Unread post by BergKatse » Sat Oct 15, 2011 8:42 pm

Haha. I see Francois Pienaar is calling France the worst team at the World Cup. Perhaps a bit harsh, but they didn't exactly strike fear into the hearts of any antipodeans today, that's for sure.

Edited to ask: It's my understanding that refs have no discretionary authority regarding those flip tackles. I.e., they are required to send the offending tackler off and they can't say, for instance, "Well it more accidental than intentional so I'll just give him a yellow card and not a red." Can anyone confirm?

AsahiSupaSpy
Eikaiwa Hero
Eikaiwa Hero

Unread post by AsahiSupaSpy » Sat Oct 15, 2011 10:00 pm

France are somewhat undeserving finalists having lost two group games and only just (literally by a metre or so - final penalty attempt) beaten a side that had 14 players from the 16th minute in the semi but oh well, thats sports.

I read that the refs are supposed to start at a red card and work backwards for dangerous play type infringements. I agreed with the red, but for the sake of the occasion, and the style of tackler Warburton is and so forth (plus the fact that the ref is half French) it may have been a bit harsh. A yellow certainly would have sent a clear enough message.

As for the game itself? Just way too much kicking for my liking.
Do NOT arrest this man.

allblacks

Unread post by allblacks » Sun Oct 16, 2011 5:37 pm

Its starting. Hold onto your hats guys. Whatever way this goes I think my fingernails will be short for some time.

Wage Slave
Shockproof shit detector
Shockproof shit detector

Unread post by Wage Slave » Sun Oct 16, 2011 6:09 pm

Fabulous play from the All Blacks in the first 10 minutes or so.
Don't hesitate to spoil the ship for a ha'porth of tar. You'll get credit for saving the ha'penny and someone else will get the blame for losing the ship.

Wage Slave
Shockproof shit detector
Shockproof shit detector

Unread post by Wage Slave » Sun Oct 16, 2011 6:27 pm

This actually makes me feel a bit better. There is no way that Wales can hope to beat the ABs when they are like this.
Don't hesitate to spoil the ship for a ha'porth of tar. You'll get credit for saving the ha'penny and someone else will get the blame for losing the ship.

RalphWiggum
LJ Oracle
LJ Oracle

Unread post by RalphWiggum » Sun Oct 16, 2011 6:51 pm

It's the ABs game to lose now...
Shit wank bollocks

Wage Slave
Shockproof shit detector
Shockproof shit detector

Unread post by Wage Slave » Sun Oct 16, 2011 6:54 pm

True, but I really don't think they will this time. They are a beautiful side to watch even without Carter. The skills and pace are extraordinary.

RalphWiggum
LJ Oracle
LJ Oracle

Unread post by RalphWiggum » Sun Oct 16, 2011 8:01 pm

Well, unless France pull off an extraordinary performance in the final this tournament is over. You can't rule it out but given how dire they've been in every match so far I just can't see it happening...
Shit wank bollocks

BergKatse
Hopeless Drone
Hopeless Drone

Unread post by BergKatse » Sun Oct 16, 2011 9:41 pm

Wow, New Zealand are good. Scarily good :shock:

Watch out, France.

RalphWiggum
LJ Oracle
LJ Oracle

Unread post by RalphWiggum » Sun Oct 16, 2011 9:47 pm

BergKatse wrote:Wow, New Zealand are good. Scarily good :shock:
They're not though - they're just better than every other mediocre international side at the moment. This WC has been incredibly disappointing in terms of quality, and hasn't been helped by some of the worst refereeing I've ever seen in the game. Flowing rugby has been replaced by call after call by the refs, totally ruining the spectacle.
Shit wank bollocks

allblacks

Unread post by allblacks » Mon Oct 17, 2011 11:00 am

I watched the last play where Quade got shoved over the side line and the reality hit home. Now all the ABs have to do is beat a shithouse French team. We really clobbered them a couple of weeks ago and if the ABs play like they did last night. Not really losing a line out. Kicking game just BANG on target all night. And I dont mean the penalty or goal kicking but the territory kicks from their half. The ABs just about have it won. I said JUST ABOUT. Nothing is definite.

Israel Dagg you are incredible. Couldnt believe the stuff he was doing!

Wage Slave
Shockproof shit detector
Shockproof shit detector

Unread post by Wage Slave » Fri Oct 21, 2011 4:22 pm

Oh well. Now to try and beat Australia just for pride. Wales will need some luck but it can be done.

BergKatse
Hopeless Drone
Hopeless Drone

Unread post by BergKatse » Mon Oct 24, 2011 12:20 am

The final between New Zealand and France was a great game - tense from go to whoa.

I think France didn't receive the memo about them being easy-beats, 'cos they had the better of all the team stats: possession, territory, turn-overs, etc.

Good on the New Zealanders for withstanding that onslaught, though. Only just though.

RalphWiggum
LJ Oracle
LJ Oracle

Unread post by RalphWiggum » Mon Oct 24, 2011 2:07 am

Well done the the ABs. They did their level best to choke again but France just wouldn't let them. It was an exciting game only because the scores were so close - as a spectacle it was shite. Poor handling, poor decision making, poor kicking. Still, the best team of a poor tournament won so it was the right outcome at least. Roll on 2015 - I'll be at at least a couple of the games next time!
Shit wank bollocks

allblacks

Unread post by allblacks » Mon Oct 24, 2011 2:48 am

That was a terrible performance by the ABs. No one played very well at all. Barely we got up. But didnt deserve it.

AsahiSupaSpy
Eikaiwa Hero
Eikaiwa Hero

Unread post by AsahiSupaSpy » Mon Oct 24, 2011 12:12 pm

It wasn't pretty but it is a win and I will take it. France definitely outplayed New Zealand in the second half, Dussedoir (spelling apoligees) a deserving Man of the Match. Donald in his ill-fitting jersey the only kiwi to hold his nerve and secure the `win`
Congratulations to the All Blacks. It took you 24 bloody years but you got there in the end :cheers:
Do NOT arrest this man.

allblacks

Unread post by allblacks » Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:11 pm

This is disgusting! Fuck you Rougerie. I thought you were a good player. DIRTY BASTARD

AsahiSupaSpy
Eikaiwa Hero
Eikaiwa Hero

Unread post by AsahiSupaSpy » Thu Oct 27, 2011 2:33 pm

Disgusting indeed. Dirty fucking French fucker. Ban him for life.
Do NOT arrest this man.

allblacks

Unread post by allblacks » Thu Oct 27, 2011 2:53 pm

Life is a bit harsh. 12 months would be just about right.

AsahiSupaSpy
Eikaiwa Hero
Eikaiwa Hero

Unread post by AsahiSupaSpy » Thu Oct 27, 2011 4:29 pm

Yeah I s'pose. But the IRB did fine the frogs $5000 for stepping over the white line during the haka so anything is possible.
Do NOT arrest this man.

Wage Slave
Shockproof shit detector
Shockproof shit detector

Unread post by Wage Slave » Sun Feb 26, 2012 10:58 am

Oh Yes! Wales beat England at Twickenham to take the Triple Crown. A brilliant individual effort from Scott Williams clinches a very exciting game.

RalphWiggum
LJ Oracle
LJ Oracle

Unread post by RalphWiggum » Sun Feb 26, 2012 8:28 pm

Great game, criminal result though. A couple of poor refereeing decisions and bad substitutions cost England the game. I think we've got a potentially great team there though, given a couple of years to gel.
Shit wank bollocks

Touchstone
Hopeless Drone
Hopeless Drone

Unread post by Touchstone » Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:43 am

Great win for Scotland down in Australia today. 9-6 and their first win on Aussie soil since 1982. A bit of turnaround from finishing bottom of the Six Nations.
"There is in every village a torch - the teacher; and an extinguisher - the clergyman"

Victor Hugo

RalphWiggum
LJ Oracle
LJ Oracle

Unread post by RalphWiggum » Wed Jun 06, 2012 6:21 pm

Touchstone wrote:Great win for Scotland down in Australia today. 9-6 and their first win on Aussie soil since 1982. A bit of turnaround from finishing bottom of the Six Nations.
Delighted to see the jocks beating the convicts. I suspect the weather was the defining factor though - haven't seen a game played in conditions that bad for years - neither side played the right tactics though. In wind and rain like that just keep pumping garryowens when you have the wind to your back!
Shit wank bollocks

allblacks

Unread post by allblacks » Wed Jun 06, 2012 6:25 pm

Look forward to sitting down and watching this one to see what happened. Know the result of course.

Wage Slave
Shockproof shit detector
Shockproof shit detector

Unread post by Wage Slave » Wed Jun 06, 2012 7:40 pm

The way Scotland controlled the ball, powered up field and then monstered Australia's scrum right at the end was great to watch even for someone like me who normally doesn't appreciate brute power and disciplined forward play.

Examination_Hell
Eikaiwa Hero
Eikaiwa Hero

Unread post by Examination_Hell » Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:18 am

allblacks wrote:Look forward to sitting down and watching this one to see what happened. Know the result of course.

just seen this game myself.. (didn't know the score beforehand), ugh, typical, was expecting a win :D . We shouldn't have done any frigging kicking, just run and pass the bloody ball all game. weather didn't help anyone. I always hated playing rugby in weather like that. Not fun. >< :)
Wake up, school, club activities, piano lessons, juku, [s]nova,[/s] english school, challenge school, homework, sleep, wake up, school...

AsahiSupaSpy
Eikaiwa Hero
Eikaiwa Hero

Unread post by AsahiSupaSpy » Fri Jun 08, 2012 11:11 am

A gripe but it involves rugby.
So, I have the students writing their schedules out for me in English. One chap has written 'club' everyday. Fair enough, say I, these kids do have club everyday. The conversation proceeded as follows.

Me: 'Club everyday? Wow, what club are you in?'
Student: 'Rugby club'
Me: 'Really? Are you watching Pacific Nations?'
Student: ':?: '
Me:(in my head of course) 'So you spend 2 hours or more each day, everyday, at rugby club, but you are not aware that your national team is involved in a tournament, taking place in Japan, that they won last year?????'

Seriously, the shallowness of this culture astounds me sometimes. The image over the actual I call it.
Do NOT arrest this man.

Wage Slave
Shockproof shit detector
Shockproof shit detector

Unread post by Wage Slave » Sat Jun 09, 2012 6:34 pm

NZ looking better than ever against Ireland. What a superb team.

Anyone got any thoughts on Wales vs Aus?

Wage Slave
Shockproof shit detector
Shockproof shit detector

Unread post by Wage Slave » Sat Jun 09, 2012 8:48 pm

Wales not really in the first half. Lucky to be just the one try down.