Rugby Union

A forum for sports talk.
Forum rules
The basic forum rules are here :wink: . Refer to the BBCode Guide for information on using BBCode tags, plus this post about additional tags for embedding video.
Wage Slave
Shockproof shit detector
Shockproof shit detector

Rugby Union

Unread post by Wage Slave » Tue Jun 17, 2008 8:35 pm

So Wales weren't able to give SA too much trouble at home. At least the second game was reasonably contested. Nothing on now until September. Any news from the other teams?

In the meantime here's a nice little complimation of Shane Williams demonstrating the dark arts of swerve, sidestep, acceleration, change of pace, general slipperyness and remarkable footballing skills.

http://nz.youtube.com/watch?v=61MISYZHT_s
Don't hesitate to spoil the ship for a ha'porth of tar. You'll get credit for saving the ha'penny and someone else will get the blame for losing the ship.

wilde_oscar
9 miles of bad road
9 miles of bad road

Re: Rugby Union

Unread post by wilde_oscar » Wed Jun 18, 2008 8:52 am

The Wallbies beat Ireland 18-12 in Melbourne.

They play France on the 26th in Sydney which should be a tough match.
Never try to teach a pig to sing - it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

allblacks

Unread post by allblacks » Wed Jun 18, 2008 2:04 pm

Good thread

Japan beat Tonga! I was so impressed. Granted there were shitloads of whities in the team though.

Examination_Hell
Eikaiwa Hero
Eikaiwa Hero

Unread post by Examination_Hell » Thu Jun 19, 2008 12:07 am

A win is a win for Australia, though we did take the foot off the accelerator in the second half a little bit.
Looking forward to France.
Wake up, school, club activities, piano lessons, juku, [s]nova,[/s] english school, challenge school, homework, sleep, wake up, school...

wilde_oscar
9 miles of bad road
9 miles of bad road

Unread post by wilde_oscar » Thu Jun 19, 2008 10:12 am

allblacks wrote:Good thread

Japan beat Tonga! I was so impressed. Granted there were shitloads of whities in the team though.
Was that in Japan? If so, did you go?

Wage Slave
Shockproof shit detector
Shockproof shit detector

Unread post by Wage Slave » Mon Nov 10, 2008 9:28 pm

So SA 20, Wales 15 at Cardiff Arms Park. Competitive but still lacking that polish needed to make the other side pay for their defensive errors. Good to see Wale's defence working properly now as the backs always have the potential to win good position and score tries. Still a ways to travel but a very different team to the last World Cup.

Noticed the All Blacks beat Oz in another pretty tight low scorer. Any comments on that result or others?
Don't hesitate to spoil the ship for a ha'porth of tar. You'll get credit for saving the ha'penny and someone else will get the blame for losing the ship.

RalphWiggum
LJ Oracle
LJ Oracle

Unread post by RalphWiggum » Mon Nov 10, 2008 10:01 pm

Wales looked better than I expected. When you take into account the fact that they brought Hook on and the first time he got his hands on the ball he threw an appalling interception it really could have gone either way. I fucking hate Wales as a rugby nation but came away with a grudging respect for them after the game.

I watched some of Scotland - NZ and as expected the jocks were outclassed by a second string all blacks side.

England - Pacific Islanders. Well, given that the Islanders only had a couple of practices together before the tour I thought they did OK. Some of the new England talent was impressive, and Cipriani is still a potential danger to either side whenever he gets possession :roll: I'm sure he'll be a fantastic player when he matures a bit. It'll be interesting to see how they perform against sterner opposition over the next month or so. I think we'll narrowly beat (fingers crossed!) the aussies and SA but I think we may get a hiding from NZ...
Shit wank bollocks

wilde_oscar
9 miles of bad road
9 miles of bad road

Unread post by wilde_oscar » Tue Nov 11, 2008 2:34 pm

RalphWiggum wrote: I think we'll narrowly beat (fingers crossed!) the aussies and SA but I think we may get a hiding from NZ...
Seeing how Australia struggled against Italy the margin may be wider then you expect... :cry:

Wage Slave
Shockproof shit detector
Shockproof shit detector

Unread post by Wage Slave » Sat Nov 15, 2008 1:23 pm

So Wales 34 Canada 13. Not good enough at all and Hook injured in the process. Depression settles on the valleys.

Looking forward to England vs Australia later today. Since people have been so rude about Wales, here's hoping the Aussies teach them a lesson in using your backs to score attractive tries instead of relying on your forwards, penalties and brute force.

Wage Slave
Shockproof shit detector
Shockproof shit detector

Unread post by Wage Slave » Sun Nov 16, 2008 10:42 am

Australia 28, England 14. Nice one Australia :wnw: An awful lot of points from the boot though. England beaten at their own game I suppose.

Are they the lemmings?
Eikaiwa Hero
Eikaiwa Hero

Unread post by Are they the lemmings? » Sun Nov 16, 2008 2:29 pm

I don't understand: Why would you willingly infringe and give away penalties within Matt Giteau's kicking range?

RalphWiggum
LJ Oracle
LJ Oracle

Unread post by RalphWiggum » Sun Nov 16, 2008 9:01 pm

Are they the lemmings? wrote:I don't understand: Why would you willingly infringe and give away penalties within Matt Giteau's kicking range?
That's the big question, isn't it? 21 points given away in penalties??? Johnson needs to take this team by the scruff of the neck and instill some discipline into it. There were positives to take away - defensively England looked OK, Cipriani showed some moments of great skill (coupled with others of extremely poor judgement - going for a drop goal after 6-7 minutes of consistent pressure inside the Aus 22? Inexperience showing, I'm afraid) but the lack of discipline cost them the game.

As for "being rude about Wales", I though I was quite restrained, to be honest!
Shit wank bollocks

Wage Slave
Shockproof shit detector
Shockproof shit detector

Unread post by Wage Slave » Mon Nov 17, 2008 12:28 pm

If that's restrained I'm not looking forward to hearing what you say when Wales have a bad day! :)

So, a feast of rugby on Saturday. NZ vs Wales and England vs SA. I haven't been able to watch much but would think Wales will be pretty satisfied if they can hold NZ to within about 15 points. A good result would be a game of rugby not dominated by forwards and kicking with Wales getting 2 tries to NZ's 4. You never know, but realistically if that happens, Wales won't feel too bad. From what little I have managed to see I still think the All Blacks are the strongest team unless that strange thing happens again.

As for England. There seems to be a direct inverse relationship between how confident England are going into a game and how well they perform on the day. If they are not predicting an almost certain win then I think it could be a pretty close but dull game and could go either way. So, England supporters how do you assess your chances?

Are they the lemmings?
Eikaiwa Hero
Eikaiwa Hero

Unread post by Are they the lemmings? » Mon Nov 17, 2008 12:42 pm

RalphWiggum wrote:Cipriani showed some moments of [...] extremely poor judgement - going for a drop goal after 6-7 minutes of consistent pressure inside the Aus 22?
That was hilarious. I felt sorry for him--a brain explosion in front of a full house (?) at Twickenham! I'm sure he got a bollocking from Martin Johnson for it as well. I'd say Robbie Deans was rubbing his hands with glee at that mistake because his coaching style is geared towards exactly that: maintaining pressure on the opposition (or resisting pressure from them) until they lose their nerve and do something rash.

Elsewhere, wasn't Ma'a Nonu in rare form for the All Blacks? To my (strictly armchair-based, amateur) mind, he's always been a rather one-dimensional player limited to running up the middle. Even when the ball was being distributed out among the backs, the opposition could be confident that once Nonu got it, the ball would go no wider and he would run at them to set up another ruck or maul. But against Ireland, he showed a wide-ranging game. Passing and running for gaps in equal measure to his usual bash, bash, bash up the middle. At one stage he made a spectacular fend that made... err, I forget... either O'Driscoll or O'Gara look foolish.

Good to see "old man" Brad Thorn in barnstorming form, too.

allblacks

Unread post by allblacks » Mon Nov 17, 2008 3:26 pm

If connections were made properly we would have seen a much bigger scoreline but Im starting to sound like the negative cunts in NZ so I will stop that right now. Glad to see Rockokoko back! :cheers:

Ive missed a lot of games of late...

RalphWiggum
LJ Oracle
LJ Oracle

Unread post by RalphWiggum » Mon Nov 17, 2008 7:26 pm

Wage Slave wrote:If that's restrained I'm not looking forward to hearing what you say when Wales have a bad day! :)
Yeah, there's a lot of joyous swearing and strutting when Wales do badly in the Wiggum house. I've written about why on here before I think - I hate them for similar reasons to why the other home nations hate England in the football. Wales seem to have this opinion that they have a god-given right to be good at rugby, when in actual fact they've done very little since the glory days of the 70s. And they have a stupid language and fuck sheep, which goes without saying obviously... :D

Wage Slave wrote:As for England. There seems to be a direct inverse relationship between how confident England are going into a game and how well they perform on the day. If they are not predicting an almost certain win then I think it could be a pretty close but dull game and could go either way. So, England supporters how do you assess your chances?
This goes back to why everyone hates England. Overconfidence etc. The press had pretty much decided we were going to destroy Aus at the scrum. In reality almost the opposite happened. I'd be a happy man if the press would just fuck off prior to any sporting event involving the national teams as they seem to put the kiss of death on them. As for this weekend, well I think it'll be close again, dominated by territorial kicking (which seems to have come to the fore again after being much reduced by law changes 15 years or so ago) and penalties, unless we sort the discipline problems out. If hadn't given 21 points away in pens to the aussies I think last weekend would have been a different kettle of fish entirely.
Shit wank bollocks

Wage Slave
Shockproof shit detector
Shockproof shit detector

Unread post by Wage Slave » Mon Nov 17, 2008 11:43 pm

OK a few stats re Wales Vs England and the claim of English superiority since the 70s:

From 1980 to 2008
Total Games 33
Won by England 18
Won by Wales 15

Hmm. Yes, honours to England but not by much. If you want to see what dominance looks like have a look at the results against the All Blacks :oops:

All Games (1881 to 2008)
Total Games 117
Won by England 53
Won by Wales 52
Drawn 12

You don't get much more even than that. Yes rugby matters in Wales, probably more than in England. On the other hand England has a much larger population and a lot more more resources to throw at rugby.

I would still claim that Wales at least tries to play exciting running rugby whilst England tend to favour forward discipline/power to control the game and rely more on the boot for their territory and points. They do this very well indeed at times and good luck to them but it doesn't make for great rugby to watch.

Are they the lemmings?
Eikaiwa Hero
Eikaiwa Hero

Unread post by Are they the lemmings? » Tue Nov 18, 2008 12:27 am

RalphWiggum wrote:[...] the glory days of the 70s.
Oh, but weren't they good, tho? Good enough to inspire my parents to name me after one of the Welsh stars of that era*, and no-one in my family is Welsh or has any connection with Wales whatsoever.

*Sorry. No names. Want to keep personal information off the internet.

RalphWiggum
LJ Oracle
LJ Oracle

Unread post by RalphWiggum » Tue Nov 18, 2008 1:02 am

Are they the lemmings? wrote:
Oh, but weren't they good, tho? [/size]
Yes they were, there's no denying that. It's a different game these days though, and for all the moaning that England don't play attractive running rugby I'd rather have them grind out wins in the forwards than lose!
Shit wank bollocks

Wage Slave
Shockproof shit detector
Shockproof shit detector

Unread post by Wage Slave » Tue Nov 18, 2008 1:18 pm

Are they the lemmings? wrote:
Oh, but weren't they good, tho? Good enough to inspire my parents to name me after one of the Welsh stars of that era*, and no-one in my family is Welsh or has any connection with Wales whatsoever.

*Sorry. No names. Want to keep personal information off the internet.
Nice story. Looking at the stats, actually Wales weren't completely dominant, but they really had some star players who were a joy to watch. You've got me intrigued now:

Gareth? Edward? Phil? Bennet? Barry? John? JPR? William? This is near sacrilegious in South Wales, but I think that Phil Bennet was actually a better flyhalf than Barry John if you consider just how well he played with Gareth Edwards and how many times he produced a try from nothing when it was really needed. Just didn't quite have the elegance and glamour that Barry John had - so I'm going to guess Barry :-)

Wage Slave
Shockproof shit detector
Shockproof shit detector

Unread post by Wage Slave » Sun Nov 23, 2008 2:41 am

Whoops. England 6 - South Africa 42. 5 tries to none. Painful lesson. Scotland looking better and better and Argentina looking like they could beat England. :)

Wales await their fate.

Are they the lemmings?
Eikaiwa Hero
Eikaiwa Hero

Unread post by Are they the lemmings? » Sun Nov 23, 2008 8:27 pm

Wage Slave wrote:Whoops. England 6 - South Africa 42. 5 tries to none. Painful lesson.
If it wasn't for the green jerseys of South Africa instead of Australia's gold, I'd have sworn that I was watching the same game. Cringe-inducing mistakes from Cipriani and England giving away penalties through ill discipline... talk about deja vu. Johnson must have been :bang:ing.

Peter Bills makes an interesting point here about how the insular nature of European rugby is ultimately weakening it.

Edit: Here, too, the same writer says "the Nortern Hemisphere has been staring at its navel, content with the view".
Last edited by Are they the lemmings? on Mon Nov 24, 2008 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

InTheColdLightOfDay
9 miles of bad road
9 miles of bad road

Unread post by InTheColdLightOfDay » Mon Nov 24, 2008 12:23 am

Take that, Canada!!
Each monkeys has different face. It's very difficult to distinguish monkey's face, like we can't memorize foreigner's face.

Wage Slave
Shockproof shit detector
Shockproof shit detector

Unread post by Wage Slave » Sun Nov 30, 2008 11:15 am

Shane Williams:

Wales 21 Australia 18. Wales finally get the win they have been threatening. Very close result, two tries each and only a penalty in it but a win is a win. A pretty good game to watch from all accounts too.

New Zealand 32 England 6. Oh dear, 3 tries to none and another flood of penalties.

SamhainP8
Dronus japonica
Dronus japonica

Unread post by SamhainP8 » Sun Nov 30, 2008 11:49 am

Rugby Schedule 2008
Here
"Do you know how a falcon is trained, my dear? Her eyes are sewn shut. Blinded temporarily, she suffers the whims of her God patiently, until her will is submerged and she learns to serve - as your God taught and blinded you with crosses."

RalphWiggum
LJ Oracle
LJ Oracle

Unread post by RalphWiggum » Mon Dec 01, 2008 2:46 am

Wage Slave wrote:
New Zealand 32 England 6. Oh dear, 3 tries to none and another flood of penalties.
Oh dear indeed. Although Alain Rolland really is an officious little wanker. For every one of the yellow cards to England there were equally dodgy plays from the All Blacks that went unpunished. That said we never really looked like scoring. The new backs lack pace, strength and creativity. Back to the drawing boad, Mr Johnson...
Shit wank bollocks

Wage Slave
Shockproof shit detector
Shockproof shit detector

Unread post by Wage Slave » Sat Feb 07, 2009 1:08 pm

Happy days again. The 6 Nations starts today. England should have a reasonably safe warmer against Italy at home. Wales have to take on Scotland at Murrayfield. Welsh hopes are pretty high at the moment but I am a bit nervous of this one. Scotland played very well back in December and they pose a real danger.

Ireland are at home against France. I suppose you have to fancy France for that but I wouldn't rule Ireland out either. Could be an excellent match.

Wage Slave
Shockproof shit detector
Shockproof shit detector

Unread post by Wage Slave » Fri Feb 13, 2009 9:04 pm

Seems like all the other rugby fans are either not involved or are English so have suddenly stopped talking about it. All that talk last year about Wales being the best of a very poor standard of play seems to have been forgotten.

Anyways, there is a game tomorrow. England vs Wales in Cardiff. Wales are not at full strength as Gavin Henson is definitely out through injury and Shane Williams (peace be upon him) is 50/50 with an ankle injury picked up last week against Scotland.

England can still pose a half credible threat. They will probably dominate the lineouts - they will need them though because they don't seem to have an attack worth the name. It's not over until it is etc, but this time we do fancy our chances.

Welcome to Cardiff, England. Hope you are looking forward to the game as much as we are.

RalphWiggum
LJ Oracle
LJ Oracle

Unread post by RalphWiggum » Fri Feb 13, 2009 9:17 pm

Gone quiet? Well, you can call it that if you like but I simply wasn't around to see the games - I was visiting Japan! Haven't seen the highlights either so can't comment on the standards, other than to say the results went the way I'd have expected.

Needless to say I'm excited about the game on Saturday. Sounds like you're already making your excuses though... :eyes:
Shit wank bollocks

Are they the lemmings?
Eikaiwa Hero
Eikaiwa Hero

A plea to rugby players

Unread post by Are they the lemmings? » Fri Jul 03, 2009 10:53 pm

Dear rugby players:

If you are carrying the ball when the whistle is blown and the ref awards a scrum, line-out, free-kick, penalty, 22m drop-out or any other restart against your team, please don't try and prevent the opposition players from getting the ball off you by hiding it, transferring it to your other hand, lying on it or throwing it away. You look like a petty fuckwit (or, worse, a cheat)--especially when you get all indignant after two or three opposition players forcefully remove you from the ball (which is usually the case, rather than the other way around).

You don't have to go out of your way to give the ball to your foe; just put it on the ground and get back into position for the restart. Don't worry about quick restarts, several members of your team have already assumed the Fake Injury Position (down on one knee) and the ref has already called time off.