Give me a cricket tidbit!

A forum for sports talk.
Forum rules
The basic forum rules are here :wink: . Refer to the BBCode Guide for information on using BBCode tags, plus this post about additional tags for embedding video.

Give me a cricket tidbit!

Unread postby Are they the lemmings? » Sat May 24, 2008 12:47 am

I have a confession to make: I'm a cricket tragic.

I can't help it; I just love the game (the proper, five-day version, that is). I need my fix. Please help me out. Tell me a cricket fact. Anything. I don't care what it is. It could be something like, "Q: Who was Andrew Hilditch, the Australian opener who, at the Gabba in 1985, got out the same way in both innings, playing the same shot (hook) to the same ball (short-pitched, rising, heading down leg) from the same bowler (Hadlee) and being caught by the same fielder (Chatfield), related to? A: Bobby Simpson."

As I write this, rain has stopped play in a test being played in England. Gee, there's a surprise. :roll:
Are they the lemmings?
Eikaiwa Hero
Eikaiwa Hero

Re: Give me a cricket tidbit!

Unread postby wilde_oscar » Mon May 26, 2008 1:21 pm

Not sure if this is what you're after, but...

Greg Matthews has never officialy retired.

A mate of mine who used to work for the Sydney Uni Sports Union said that Greg told him (several times) that he was still available for selection.

Apparently Greg still takes five wicket hauls for Uni every now and then...
Never try to teach a pig to sing - it wastes your time and annoys the pig.
wilde_oscar
Eikaiwa Hero
Eikaiwa Hero

Unread postby Are they the lemmings? » Mon May 26, 2008 3:15 pm

wilde_oscar wrote:Greg Matthews has never officialy retired.
Apparently Greg still takes five wicket hauls for Uni every now and then...

It's that full head of oh-so-natural hair that's giving him the vitality to carry on :D

That is exactly the kind of tidbit I was after, BTW. Thanks.

Anyone else have a cricket factoid? Doesn't have to be new or scintillating. I just want to read about cricket.

I once owned (won, actually) a Gunn & Moore bat signed by... someone (I forget now). I left it in my father's car one day, and it went missing. We suspected the paper boy, but had no proof. We decided to take a gamble and accuse him. We left a note the next morning saying that if he returned it, nothing more would be said, but that if he didn't, we'd call the police.

It was back the next morning :wink:
Are they the lemmings?
Eikaiwa Hero
Eikaiwa Hero

Unread postby Wage Slave » Tue May 27, 2008 9:33 pm

OK, I hope this isn't too trivial.

Which member of the 1999 Scotland World Cup team had previously represented Queensland at under 12 level?
Don't hesitate to spoil the ship for a ha'porth of tar. You'll get credit for saving the ha'penny and someone else will get the blame for losing the ship.
Wage Slave
Shockproof shit detector
Shockproof shit detector

Unread postby Touchstone » Wed May 28, 2008 10:31 am

Was it Gavin Hamilton [who made a pair for England in his only test match] or James Brinkley?
"There is in every village a torch - the teacher; and an extinguisher - the clergyman"

Victor Hugo
Touchstone
Hopeless Drone
Hopeless Drone

Unread postby Wage Slave » Wed May 28, 2008 7:17 pm

Nope. It was Alec Davies. Born in Pakistan, Primary school in Brisbane, Secondary school in Wales and married in Scotland. England had a surplus of very good wicketkeeper/batsmen at that time. :(
Don't hesitate to spoil the ship for a ha'porth of tar. You'll get credit for saving the ha'penny and someone else will get the blame for losing the ship.
Wage Slave
Shockproof shit detector
Shockproof shit detector

Unread postby Are they the lemmings? » Thu May 29, 2008 1:34 am

I miss the dulcet tones of Henry Blofeld. Not so much cricket commentary as seagull and airplane commentary with a few observations on the cricket thrown in. :lol:
Are they the lemmings?
Eikaiwa Hero
Eikaiwa Hero

Unread postby Wage Slave » Thu May 29, 2008 2:12 pm

Are they the lemmings? wrote:I miss the dulcet tones of Henry Blofeld. Not so much cricket commentary as seagull and airplane commentary with a few observations on the cricket thrown in. :lol:

Seconded - brilliant. I miss Richie Benaud, since his retirement, too. His commentary during the 2005 Ashes series was amazing. No one can come close to him for authority, impartiality, balance, accuracy and yet also express passion for both the game and "his" team's cause. A real gentleman.
Wage Slave
Shockproof shit detector
Shockproof shit detector

Unread postby Are they the lemmings? » Thu May 29, 2008 4:15 pm

I wrote:I miss the dulcet tones of Henry Blofeld. Not so much cricket commentary as seagull and airplane commentary with a few observations on the cricket thrown in. :lol:
And Wage Slave wrote:Seconded - brilliant.
This is quite a good spoof of the whole Blofeld-esque ignoring-the-cricket-and-ruminating-on-the-lovely-English-summer-day style of commentary.

Meanwhile, Wage Slave also wrote:Richie Benaud
Now that was some quality commentary. I've only had a few opportunities to hear the new batch of Australian comments men (you know, the former players now behind the mic. I think it's people like Michael Slater... not sure), and they can be very funny, but Benaud was in a class of his own.

Anyway, on with the cricket musings...

If you have a whole day to spare, I recommend watching all of the "greatest catches" videos on YouTube. There is an endless supply of them, and some of the catches are just outrageous. Paul Collingwood is especially freakish.

The best catch I've ever seen live (i.e., at the ground) was by former West Indies keeper Jeff Dujon. Leaping high and to his left, he took a one-handed leg-side catch, and then I seem to remember he had the wherewithal to make an acrobatic landing that still seemed rather graceful. In reality it was probably just ooof! onto the ground, but in my mind's eye, it is rather dignified.
Are they the lemmings?
Eikaiwa Hero
Eikaiwa Hero

Unread postby wilde_oscar » Fri May 30, 2008 1:02 pm

When I was a very young boy my father took me to an Australia vs. Windies test at the SCG. We were sitting in the front of the Brewongle Stand and after a day of watching Australia getting thumped all over the shop by the superlative Windies batting line-up (this was a while ago) I saw John Dyson (now, almost ironicaly, Windies coach) take that magic diving outfield catch.

Happy memories.
Never try to teach a pig to sing - it wastes your time and annoys the pig.
wilde_oscar
Eikaiwa Hero
Eikaiwa Hero

Unread postby allblacks » Fri May 30, 2008 1:14 pm

My grandfather still holds the record for scoring in club cricket around Collaroy on the North Shore of Sydney. His nickname was "Wacker"
"So the clutch is called a clutch and the accelerator is called something stupid?" Holly interrupted, "Why didn't they just call the clutch a squeezer?"

http://27bslash6.com/arguments.html
allblacks
Drop Kick Artist
Drop Kick Artist

Unread postby MacGyver » Tue Jun 03, 2008 5:21 pm

I played district cricket with the first Australian player to be done for performance enhancing drugs. Who was he?

A guy I met recently who was out on tour with the Melbourne Cricket Club told me a story about a guy I currently play cricket with here:
My mate was fielding at gully in a firsts match when Dean Jones (after retiring from int. duties) strolls to the crease. He didn't bother taking guard and was swinging wildly like the proverbial dunny door. My mate quite rightly starts sledging him. After a little while of this Deano gets tired of it and decides he's going to get serious. He takes guard and then proceeds to hit 150 not out! Goes to show there are certain players you just don't sledge!

Just returned from the WCL division 5 tournament in Jersey. At the closing function Sir Geoffry Boycott was on hand to present player of the tournament but I didn't bother meeting him as I didn't want to be bored shitless! Peter Kirsten on the other hand is a damn good bloke and very down to earth.

One of my sets of cricket shoes were once owned by Brett Lee given to me by Neil Maxwell.

One of the greatest regrets of my life was not meeting Dennis Lillee (one of my cricket idols) when he came to Tokyo last year. I was told that he might be at Paddy Foley's in Roppongi on a certain day (after the charity function he was here to attend) but as I figured he might not show I decided to give it a miss. It turns out that he was there after all! The funny thing is that even though I am from Perth and my first district club was DKs old club, I have still yet to meet him!!!
"Yous guys talk a lotta shit. I'm much more smarter than all a yous." - Samurai Jerk after being owned by the Let's Japan crew.
MacGyver
Shockproof shit detector
Shockproof shit detector

Unread postby allblacks » Tue Jun 03, 2008 7:17 pm

I went to see AUSSIE v KIWI at Eden Park a few years ago. Brett Lee was out fielding near the ASB stand and some people were giving him heaps. He didnt say a word to them. His turn to bowl came and he went in hard. Knocked NZ out that day. When he came back after taking three wickets or so, he just gave the spectators a look like "you guys have no clue."

I enjoyed Eden Park games. Specially when NZ was winning. Never to be repeated feat that. Cant believe we beat Aussie and took that trophie from em.
"So the clutch is called a clutch and the accelerator is called something stupid?" Holly interrupted, "Why didn't they just call the clutch a squeezer?"

allblacks
Drop Kick Artist
Drop Kick Artist

Unread postby Are they the lemmings? » Fri Jun 06, 2008 12:24 am

Thanks for all those tidbits, lads.

Today's tidbit is this.

Watching live test cricket coverage as I write :mrgreen:
Are they the lemmings?
Eikaiwa Hero
Eikaiwa Hero

Unread postby MacGyver » Fri Jun 06, 2008 10:19 am

Are they the lemmings? wrote:Watching live test cricket coverage as I write :mrgreen:

Nice. One thing I enjoyed while in the UK recently was watching cricket on the box! I was spoilt. Both Eng vs NZ and Aus vs WI were being played at the same time so there was overlap. And Sky Sport played a copious amount of Eng vs NZ highlights which was nice.

BTW, does no one know who the first Australian to get done for performance enhancing drugs is??? Incidentally, I have the same DOB as he does. :wink:
"Yous guys talk a lotta shit. I'm much more smarter than all a yous." - Samurai Jerk after being owned by the Let's Japan crew.
MacGyver
Shockproof shit detector
Shockproof shit detector

Unread postby allblacks » Sat Jun 07, 2008 11:09 am

the P2p TV stuff never works for me on my pc. Its a real tease! FUCK!

allblacks
Drop Kick Artist
Drop Kick Artist

Unread postby Are they the lemmings? » Sat Jun 07, 2008 4:45 pm

allblacks wrote:the P2p TV stuff never works for me on my pc. Its a real tease! FUCK!

I'm new to it, actually. I was aware of it, but I was turned off by the fact that some of the broadcasts require you to install software. Anyway, I gave it a try and it worked.

With the cricket, the broadcaster that I chose (there are several choices) doesn't require you to install special software; you just need Flash ver. 9.

You should have seen james Anderson bowling yesterday, bloke. It was a master class in swing bowling. The delivery to Redmond in the first over was unplayable. I think cricinfo.com said "[Redmond] couldn't have played that if he'd been told it was coming".

Anyway, I'm on a high now because I get to watch cricket on TV :mrgreen:

On a separate matter: ABs, I've just sent you a PM.
Are they the lemmings?
Eikaiwa Hero
Eikaiwa Hero

Unread postby MacGyver » Mon Jun 09, 2008 10:38 am

Are they the lemmings? wrote:You should have seen james Anderson bowling yesterday, bloke. It was a master class in swing bowling. The delivery to Redmond in the first over was unplayable. I think cricinfo.com said "[Redmond] couldn't have played that if he'd been told it was coming".

Jimmy Anderson is overrated. He's a net bowler at best. As Thommo would prolly say, he gets batsmen in. Its a sad day for English cricket when a bloke like Jimmy Anderson is opening the bowling. As for Redmond, he'd prolly struggle to play 1st grade cricket in Oz, let alone first class (Like Geraint Jones, who was Qld's 3rd choice keeper & England's current keeper is another Aussie). Chris Broad's son on the other hand is an up and coming talent. I love his quote about his old man "Dad tried to tell me how to bowl but I told him, 'Dad you were a batsman. What do you know about bowling?'" :lol:
MacGyver
Shockproof shit detector
Shockproof shit detector

Unread postby Are they the lemmings? » Thu Dec 18, 2008 3:44 pm

This thread needs bumping.

Today's cricket tidbit:

Cricinfo has a blog by New Zealand bowler Iain O'Brien. Actually, the site has a few blogs, but this is the only one I have found by an actual player. He updates it quite often during the season, including on game days when play has finished. His spelling and punctuation is atrocious, but the blog itself is quite interesting.
Are they the lemmings?
Eikaiwa Hero
Eikaiwa Hero

Unread postby Are they the lemmings? » Mon Feb 02, 2009 1:09 pm

Geez, the Australians looked poor yesterday, didn't they. And there's some controversy over Clarke's/Haddin's dismissal of some new kid called Broom.

Well ,whadaya know? It's on YouTube already.

For the past couple of months or so, though, it's been a thrill to watch the South Africans. They're in top form; Amla, Duminy and the rest... unstoppable. Amla should win some kind of award for that beard, too.
ImageImage
Are they the lemmings?
Eikaiwa Hero
Eikaiwa Hero

Unread postby MacGyver » Mon Feb 02, 2009 1:19 pm

Are they the lemmings? wrote:Geez, the Australians looked poor yesterday, didn't they. And there's some controversy over Clarke's/Haddin's dismissal of some new kid called Broom.

Well ,whadaya know? It's on YouTube already.

Yeah no shit. Its the Kiwis! Even when they win, they bleat long and loud about any decision that goes against them!

I can tell you that as a keeper who has played some decent cricket, I can tell you that he would have had some doubt as to whether his gloves hit the stumps or not, but to say he cheated (as the Kiwis are) is going too far. In fact its comparable to McCullum's catch off Mr. Cricket's bro. A better point would be to suggest that the square leg ump. was to blame for it. He's obviously either switched off or not looking where he should be looking. He should have referred it. But then the umpiring overall y'day was quite poor. Even the third ump screwed up!
MacGyver
Shockproof shit detector
Shockproof shit detector

Unread postby Are they the lemmings? » Mon Feb 02, 2009 2:35 pm

MacGyver wrote:Its the Kiwis! Even when they win, they bleat long and loud about any decision that goes against them!

Oh, but MacGyver! Don't you realise? It's the underarm incident all over again! :rotfl:

Ha, just kidding. But your post did dredge up memories of watching the England play NZ in England... umm, last year? There was a controversial decision where... ah, bugger it. it's too long to describe; just watch it for yourself.

Anyway, I think Ian Smith was commentating and he was apoplectic, immediately making references to the underarm thing.
Are they the lemmings?
Eikaiwa Hero
Eikaiwa Hero

Unread postby MacGyver » Mon Feb 02, 2009 3:19 pm

Are they the lemmings? wrote:
MacGyver wrote:Its the Kiwis! Even when they win, they bleat long and loud about any decision that goes against them!

Oh, but MacGyver! Don't you realise? It's the underarm incident all over again! :rotfl:

LOL no that irony isn't lost on me! :thumbsup:

Are they the lemmings? wrote:Ha, just kidding. But your post did dredge up memories of watching the England play NZ in England... umm, last year? There was a controversial decision where... ah, bugger it. it's too long to describe; just watch it for yourself. Anyway, I think Ian Smith was commentating and he was apoplectic, immediately making references to the underarm thing.

The Kiwi was defo out, no 2 ways about it. The only argument to be made was whether the dismissal was in the spirit of the game. Personally I don't have a problem with Collingwood not withdrawing the appeal. Interestingly I was involved in a similar situation a few years ago, colliding with another player while running between the wickets. I stayed down for a minute (cause it farken hurt!) but when I finally did get up I started heading for the shed cause I had assumed I had been run out and no other thought entered my head. It wasn't until someone on the fielding side realised that I was walking off did they call me back saying I wasn't out. Actually that perplexed me more than had I been given out!
MacGyver
Shockproof shit detector
Shockproof shit detector

Unread postby allblacks » Mon Feb 02, 2009 4:59 pm

Just cos you were ready to bend over...

To borrow an expression: "It's just not cricket..."

That wasnt on purpose. The collision part. But if you did that when I played cricket in primary school you were branded a so-and-so.

allblacks
Drop Kick Artist
Drop Kick Artist

Unread postby MacGyver » Mon Feb 02, 2009 5:03 pm

allblacks wrote:That wasnt on purpose. The collision part. But if you did that when I played cricket in primary school you were branded a so-and-so.

Cricket has changed in the 40 years since you last played it mate. :wink:
MacGyver
Shockproof shit detector
Shockproof shit detector

Unread postby Wage Slave » Mon Feb 02, 2009 5:29 pm

MacGyver wrote:
allblacks wrote:That wasnt on purpose. The collision part. But if you did that when I played cricket in primary school you were branded a so-and-so.

Cricket has changed in the 40 years since you last played it mate. :wink:

Ain't that the truth and more's the pity. I can understand how the Sumo establishment feel at the moment. Once it's gone, you will never get it back.
Wage Slave
Shockproof shit detector
Shockproof shit detector

Unread postby MacGyver » Mon Feb 02, 2009 5:42 pm

Wage Slave wrote:Ain't that the truth and more's the pity. I can understand how the Sumo establishment feel at the moment. Once it's gone, you will never get it back.

That's the way most things go once they become professional and money is up for grabs. Let's face it. In most people's work places, if by claiming that something is one's idea when it isn't and by doing so one gets a $50K bonus, who wouldn't? Add to that the pressure to perform/win, and its not surprising at all.
MacGyver
Shockproof shit detector
Shockproof shit detector

Unread postby Are they the lemmings? » Mon Feb 02, 2009 9:29 pm

MacGyver wrote:
Are they the lemmings? wrote:Ha, just kidding. But your post did dredge up memories of watching the England play NZ in England... umm, last year? There was a controversial decision where... ah, bugger it. it's too long to describe; just watch it for yourself. Anyway, I think Ian Smith was commentating and he was apoplectic, immediately making references to the underarm thing.

The Kiwi was defo out, no 2 ways about it. The only argument to be made was whether the dismissal was in the spirit of the game. Personally I don't have a problem with Collingwood not withdrawing the appeal.

Sure, whether it was in/out, cricket/not-cricket, sporting/dastardly is another debate, but it I felt Smith was wrong in trying to compare it to something as outrageous as bowling underarm.

As I see it, the villainy of Trevor Chappell's infamous last delivery was that it was chickening out of competition, whereas the whole Sidebottom/Elliott/Collingwood incident arose out of competition itself--no-one was deliberately trying to stop the opposition from competing.

Surely it's no coincidence that bowling underarm was immediately outlawed in the wake of that match but there's no law saying the batsman can't be run out if he goes down injured outside the crease after colliding with an opposing player.

Are they the lemmings?
Eikaiwa Hero
Eikaiwa Hero

Unread postby MacGyver » Tue Feb 03, 2009 12:39 pm

Are they the lemmings? wrote:Surely it's no coincidence that bowling underarm was immediately outlawed in the wake of that match but there's no law saying the batsman can't be run out if he goes down injured outside the crease after colliding with an opposing player.

Actually there is. It just depends on your interpretation of the law. In this case, contact had been deemed to be accidental although most cricketers would argue the batsman has right of way so the bowler should have gotten out of the way. Kiwis, being the soft touches that they are, would of course argue the batsman wasn't out.

The underarm incident, while certainly not within the spirit of the game, was as you say not illegal when they did it. The fact that it was made illegal immediately after the game only goes to show that there was a loop hole in the rules, which the administrators failed to close earlier. Its certainly not the first, nor will it be the last, time that something happened on the sporting field that should have been illegal that wasn't, and was subsequently made illegal. What amazes me is that the underarm incident was almost 30 yrs ago but every time you meet a Kiwi they mention it! :huh: :roll:
MacGyver
Shockproof shit detector
Shockproof shit detector

Unread postby Are they the lemmings? » Tue Feb 03, 2009 2:34 pm

Today's cricket tidbit.
Are they the lemmings?
Eikaiwa Hero
Eikaiwa Hero

Next

Return to Sports