Give me a cricket tidbit!

A forum for sports talk.
Forum rules
The basic forum rules are here :wink: . Refer to the BBCode Guide for information on using BBCode tags, plus this post about additional tags for embedding video.
MacGyver
Shockproof shit detector
Shockproof shit detector

Re: Give me a cricket tidbit!

Unread post by MacGyver » Wed Nov 12, 2014 10:40 am

BergKatse wrote:And, is it just me, or are they pretty damn good these days?
Nah, not really. They playing in "home" conditions. Most teams don't travel well these days so you get these one-sided series. Plus the pitches they are using over there heavily favor the team who wins the toss. Not to say I think Oz would have won anyway (someone didn't tell them that the pitches turn over there. They should've asked me. I could've told them) but I do think the games would have been much closer. And don't forget the Pakis got touched up recently in Sri Lanka.

wilde_oscar
9 miles of bad road
9 miles of bad road

Unread post by wilde_oscar » Fri Nov 14, 2014 9:43 am

Good on Pakistan for getting some big wins in home (sorta) conditions; the just flogged NZ by 200+ runs. They are probably the most erratic side going in international cricket, sometimes they’re world beaters and sometimes they collapse in a whimpering heap. How many of these collapses were prompted by brown envelope informal incentive payments we’ll probably never know. It’s worth noting that Younis Khan (53.98) is currently averaging slightly more than Tendulkar (53.78); not all of these runs were accrued on friendly pitches.. .

Australia seems to be struggling to work out how to play slower decks and just can’t seem to learn from experience. Glen Maxwell just doesn’t seem the have the temperament or the nous to play test match cricket. I would not agree with Warnie who rates Clarke the best captain in the world at the moment. Hard to say who’d hold that honour, but Misbah Ul-Haq is doing pretty well.

There really doesn’t seem to be any team able to dominate international test cricket for any significant length of time these days. SA is on top of the rankings, but just lost at home to Australia so their crown is hardly secure. I suggest that they’re there not because they play effective rather than world-beating cricket and their opponents are consistent only in their inconsistency.

England got done at home not too long ago and India are renowned for not being able to travel, which seems to be the main home-team strategy for this summers’ test series in Australia. Sri Lanka look okay on their days while the Windies seem to be more bogged down in administrative disputes than trying to regain the glory days of the eighties. For what it’s worth Bangladesh may usurp Zimbabwe in second last place.

The other day I was in one of the local sports store chains and saw the World Cup supporter gear they had for sale. The shirts are either the current issue polyester ones or the cotton ‘retro’ ones. As you’d expect, plenty of Australian kit but the rest was an interesting mix Windies, England, Pakistan, Scotland, Ireland, Zimbabwe, Pakistan and India with a few NZ shirts. Not sure how it will all sell. The guy at the counter said they’d already sold a few Windies shirts (the local games are Zimbabwe vs Windies and Bangladesh vs ‘qualifier’) and thought there was a fair chance they’d sell out of most of their gear.

MacGyver
Shockproof shit detector
Shockproof shit detector

Unread post by MacGyver » Wed Nov 26, 2014 11:14 am

Phil Hughes ay. Well, shit. Poor bastard. Seems to be one of those freak occurrences that happens in cricket/sport in general.

angryboy
Busdriver
Busdriver

Unread post by angryboy » Wed Nov 26, 2014 6:40 pm

MacGyver wrote:Phil Hughes ay. Well, shit. Poor bastard. Seems to be one of those freak occurrences that happens in cricket/sport in general.

Latest reports are that it is touch and go.
A reporter said the crack echoed around the ground.

MacGyver
Shockproof shit detector
Shockproof shit detector

Unread post by MacGyver » Wed Nov 26, 2014 9:31 pm

Yeah still in an induced coma it seems. From what I've read, the next day or two are crucial. No word on his prognosis but as you say angry I think at this point it appears to be life and death so they'll know more once (if) he gets out of the woods.

wilde_oscar
9 miles of bad road
9 miles of bad road

Unread post by wilde_oscar » Thu Nov 27, 2014 3:13 pm

Sad news.

Phil Hughes has died without regaining consciousness.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/australia/c ... 03649.html

MacGyver
Shockproof shit detector
Shockproof shit detector

Unread post by MacGyver » Thu Nov 27, 2014 3:16 pm

FFS. :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

The last time I cried this much was when Hooksey was killed.

RIP Phil

RalphWiggum
LJ Oracle
LJ Oracle

Unread post by RalphWiggum » Thu Nov 27, 2014 6:06 pm

That is awful news.

angryboy
Busdriver
Busdriver

Unread post by angryboy » Thu Nov 27, 2014 10:07 pm

Terrible. Not much else I can think of to say.

Wage Slave
Shockproof shit detector
Shockproof shit detector

Unread post by Wage Slave » Thu Nov 27, 2014 11:35 pm

What to say? A dreadful shame and end to a promising career. RIP.

RalphWiggum
LJ Oracle
LJ Oracle

Unread post by RalphWiggum » Fri Nov 28, 2014 1:22 am

Sean Abbott must be devastated. Absolutely not his fault, all part of the game and the risks you take to play. Still, it's a potential career-ender for him and he deserves a lot of sympathy and support.

angryboy
Busdriver
Busdriver

Unread post by angryboy » Fri Nov 28, 2014 1:29 pm

RalphWiggum wrote:Sean Abbott must be devastated. Absolutely not his fault, all part of the game and the risks you take to play. Still, it's a potential career-ender for him and he deserves a lot of sympathy and support.
Second that. It was a case of every unforseeable event all taking place.
The ball, not that short, took off from the pitch and rose unexpectedly
causing him to mistime his shot,one inch over and the helmet might have
saved him, hit him right in the sweet spot of an artery in his neck.
According to the news there are only about 100 cases of this exact injury
and only one cricketer to suffer it.
Gotta really feel for Abbott. When I was about 14 I couldn't bowl a bouncer
if my life depended on it yet one day in the nets I sent one down that was pretty
full yet it passed the batsmen one millimeter in front of his nose so it could have
been anyone .
I hope the bloke can come back from this and play on.

angryboy
Busdriver
Busdriver

Unread post by angryboy » Sun Nov 30, 2014 12:36 pm

And another one. Nowhere near as high a profile but still tragic.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/cricket/isr ... ket%20ball

angryboy
Busdriver
Busdriver

Unread post by angryboy » Sat Dec 13, 2014 6:54 pm

Not a fan of Lyon (Lyons? Not even sure of his name!) but gotta give him credit.
He took us to victory!

wilde_oscar
9 miles of bad road
9 miles of bad road

Unread post by wilde_oscar » Mon Dec 15, 2014 11:46 am

Good test by all accounts. Thanks to work, playing cricket and Little Oscar sabotaging the TV I didn't see a ball of it.

There are some good clips on youtube of Dave Warner sledging the Indian bowlers following his dismissal being overturned. Good to have a player with a bit of agro (and talent) willing to give it back.

Clarke is out, maybe for good and Smith has been anointed captain, one assumes on an ongoing basis.

MacGyver
Shockproof shit detector
Shockproof shit detector

Unread post by MacGyver » Mon Dec 15, 2014 12:09 pm

wilde_oscar wrote:There are some good clips on youtube of Dave Warner sledging the Indian bowlers following his dismissal being overturned.
Aaron gave him a send-off. Something you should never do, especially when you've been called for a no-ball and the batsman is recalled! :rotfl:

As for Smith as captain, personally I think they should have given the job to Haddin cause I think Clarke will be back but maybe the selectors think it is a good idea to give Smith experience with Haddin and other older heads around to give him advice so when Clarke does retire he can step into the role with some experience.

angryboy
Busdriver
Busdriver

Unread post by angryboy » Sat Dec 27, 2014 1:40 pm

How bloody good is Steve Smith recently?He just doesn`t know how to make a bad score.

MacGyver
Shockproof shit detector
Shockproof shit detector

Unread post by MacGyver » Sat Dec 27, 2014 2:07 pm

Yeah he's on fire. But then the Indians have been very poor so I guess that's not hard. Even Watto got a 50!

wilde_oscar
9 miles of bad road
9 miles of bad road

Unread post by wilde_oscar » Mon Feb 02, 2015 3:31 pm

The tri-series is over with Australia flogging an outgunned England and India even failing to qualify. Bailey might be shown the door while Faulkner is injured, hopefully not seriously as he is a great asset to the team.

In other news Boom Boom Afridi scores a 29 ball 67 and Pakistan still lose by 7 wickets.

BergKatse
Hopeless Drone
Hopeless Drone

Unread post by BergKatse » Tue Feb 03, 2015 6:00 pm

So, the usual suspects for the ODI world cup, then? By which I mean, South Africa and Australia?

MacGyver
Shockproof shit detector
Shockproof shit detector

Unread post by MacGyver » Tue Feb 03, 2015 6:12 pm

BergKatse wrote:So, the usual suspects for the ODI world cup, then? By which I mean, South Africa and Australia?
And NZ as the possible surprise packet. You'd expect them to get to at least the semi, seeing as they are playing some good cricket and are at home. With tournament play, if they get to the semi and have 2 very good games (or their opponents conversely are not so good on the day) then they could win the damn thing. Australia are favored to win it (by everyone except Martin Crowe, who reckons it will be a SA/NZ final :huh: ) so the pressure is on them so they may falter. Plus Clarke is not a certainty and Faulkner looks to have injured himself. Maxi, Watto, and the other middle order after Smith are flakey, and the selectors seem determined to keep selecting the walking wicket that is George Bailey, so they are by no means a lock however. And SA are most definitely good enough to knock them over, especially, if their quicks, Amla, and ABs have a day out.

So for mine the winner is no certainty but you'd expect the games for the most part to go the way of form. The Windies *might* get knocked over by Ireland but other than that, I don't think it's going to be an exciting WC in terms of results/upsets.

BergKatse
Hopeless Drone
Hopeless Drone

Unread post by BergKatse » Tue Feb 03, 2015 10:45 pm

Yeah, I was thinking about NZ. They've had a terrific run since late last year in tests and ODIs. Okay, it hasn't been against the greatest of oppositions, but they've definitely played themselves into confidence. It'll be good to see an up-and-coming NZ play the truly strong teams... should be compelling viewing.

I must express disappointment, though. It's a shame to see England, India, and the West Indies in such disarray. Really, they are mainstays of cricket and it's not right that they are so weak.

MacGyver
Shockproof shit detector
Shockproof shit detector

Unread post by MacGyver » Wed Feb 04, 2015 9:27 am

BergKatse wrote:I must express disappointment, though. It's a shame to see England, India, and the West Indies in such disarray. Really, they are mainstays of cricket and it's not right that they are so weak.
The Windies, yeah for sure. I grew up watching the great Windies sides of the 80s and one of my all time favorite players to this day is Viv, (and to a lesser extent Marshall, Holding, Garner, and Roger Harper; shit the more I think about it the more I could go on), so like you say it is a damn shame. As for England, as an ex-player said recently (Mark Butcher I think) the poms have never been good at ODI cricket. And India have never really been that good away from home. That seems to be amplifying now that they are the world power and pretty much get whatever they want and so don't really see the need to be good when they aren't playing in front of their home crowds.

And as you say while the kiwis have been playing some good cricket, the opposition hasn't been great so should be interesting to see how they go as the tournament progresses and they start playing the better sides. Who knows; maybe they are overrated and they'll get knocked over in the quarters, which would be a huge shock to Martin Crowe. Apparently he's not a cricket writer but a NZ cheerleader!

wilde_oscar
9 miles of bad road
9 miles of bad road

Unread post by wilde_oscar » Wed Feb 04, 2015 1:18 pm

BergKatse wrote:Yeah, I was thinking about NZ. They've had a terrific run since late last year in tests and ODIs. Okay, it hasn't been against the greatest of oppositions, but they've definitely played themselves into confidence. It'll be good to see an up-and-coming NZ play the truly strong teams... should be compelling viewing.

I must express disappointment, though. It's a shame to see England, India, and the West Indies in such disarray. Really, they are mainstays of cricket and it's not right that they are so weak.
I think this year the Black Caps move from 'wild cards' to genuine contenders.

India, believe it or not as well as being defending champions are the #2 ranked team in the world at the moment while England are #5 positions - both ratings belied by current form. From what I can tell, a lot of the trouble with West Indian cricket is caused by the administrative side rather than playing ability. I'd like to see them doing well again, but given their ongoing difficulties and revival is a medium-term prospect at best.

Thinking about it, Sri Lanka will be another team to watch; they have the most experienced players and if their attack gets just a little more effective they'll be able to push, and possibly defeat, any side in the competition.

BergKatse
Hopeless Drone
Hopeless Drone

Unread post by BergKatse » Mon Feb 16, 2015 4:08 pm

Wow... well done Ireland!

MacGyver
Shockproof shit detector
Shockproof shit detector

Unread post by MacGyver » Mon Feb 16, 2015 4:34 pm

MacGyver wrote: The Windies *might* get knocked over by Ireland
BergKatse wrote:Wow... well done Ireland!
Yes congrats indeed but apologies if I'm not surprised. :P

BergKatse
Hopeless Drone
Hopeless Drone

Unread post by BergKatse » Fri Feb 20, 2015 7:45 pm

Wow, that was some fine bowling by Southee today. England had no hope.

MacGyver
Shockproof shit detector
Shockproof shit detector

Unread post by MacGyver » Fri Feb 20, 2015 7:58 pm

BergKatse wrote:Wow, that was some fine bowling by Southee today. England had no hope.
I would've said some good bowling combined with some very ordinary batting. The poms were a rabble. Seriously if I were a pom I'd be very pissed right about now.

RalphWiggum
LJ Oracle
LJ Oracle

Unread post by RalphWiggum » Sat Feb 21, 2015 1:45 am

I haven't seen the highlights yet but by all accounts they were shocking. Finn went for almost 50 off 2 overs, for fuck's sake!

MacGyver
Shockproof shit detector
Shockproof shit detector

Unread post by MacGyver » Sat Feb 21, 2015 9:33 am

RalphWiggum wrote:I haven't seen the highlights yet but by all accounts they were shocking. Finn went for almost 50 off 2 overs, for fuck's sake!
Yep he basically kept bowling the same ball. As the comms said, he was just putting it there. There was nothing on it and he wasn't really trying to do anything with it, be it through the air, off the pitch, or speed of delivery. Anderson got zero swing but strangely bowled from the opposite end as Southee. I've never rated Anderson but for a player who has played as much as him, that is bizarre. Of course, Morgan may have told him to bowl from that end, but nonetheless he is proving to be a very inept captain indeed. I generally like to put the boot in when the poms fail but I take no joy from watching that lose. And I feel sorry for the spectators who went all that way and paid all that money for that tripe. They deserve more from the players than that. If the players aren't interested, they should pack up and go home. And they certainly didn't look interested in a fight at any stage yesterday. Honestly, Southee bowled well, but he wasn't that good; it was swinging out of his hand and not particularly late. As comms said, three wickets fell to good balls, the rest were shit shots. Morgan got caught on the boundary ffs! Must've been most of the overs to go when he went!