Give me a cricket tidbit!

A forum for sports talk.
Forum rules
The basic forum rules are here :wink: . Refer to the BBCode Guide for information on using BBCode tags, plus this post about additional tags for embedding video.
angryboy
Busdriver
Busdriver

Re: Give me a cricket tidbit!

Unread post by angryboy » Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:49 am

I was a bit slow checking the scores on that one but FARK ME!
All out for 47 then an innings defeat inside 3 days! :pee:
[quote="valve-bouncer"]Fuck me, I hope to christ you are a troll because the possibility of someone so mind-numbingly boring as you walking amongst us gives me the fear.[/quote]

BergKatse
Hopeless Drone
Hopeless Drone

Unread post by BergKatse » Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:37 pm

WTF is up with New Zealand these days? Are they really that bad?

MacGyver
Shockproof shit detector
Shockproof shit detector

Unread post by MacGyver » Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:46 am

BergKatse wrote:WTF is up with New Zealand these days? Are they really that bad?
Yes and no. They are but only cause of the in-fighting/politics at board level. Some of their best players, Ross Taylor most notably, are having a "rest" from test cricket at the minute.
"Yous guys talk a lotta shit. I'm much more smarter than all a yous." - Samurai Jerk after being owned by the Let's Japan crew.

wilde_oscar
9 miles of bad road
9 miles of bad road

Unread post by wilde_oscar » Fri Jul 12, 2013 1:29 pm

98! I sat up and watched every ball of it. Of course after the collapse I expected to see England bat in the next 15 minutes but after it got going I couldn't tear myself away.

Looks like someone in the Aussie camp knows how to bat (and Hughes and Smith too to be fair to them), but a shame it has to be the #11 debutante who leads the way.

Anyone else watch it?
Last edited by wilde_oscar on Fri Jul 12, 2013 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Never try to teach a pig to sing - it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

angryboy
Busdriver
Busdriver

Unread post by angryboy » Fri Jul 12, 2013 1:50 pm

I'm guessing that is a typo, caught on 98- bad luck to the young guy. I really wanted to see a ton from him.
As in previous games a tailender showed up the top order. All kudos to him though. He batted beautifully.
Looking forward to good game (if the batting doesn't fold like a cheap suit).
[quote="valve-bouncer"]Fuck me, I hope to christ you are a troll because the possibility of someone so mind-numbingly boring as you walking amongst us gives me the fear.[/quote]

wilde_oscar
9 miles of bad road
9 miles of bad road

Unread post by wilde_oscar » Fri Jul 12, 2013 4:56 pm

angryboy wrote:I'm guessing that is a typo, caught on 98- bad luck to the young guy. I really wanted to see a ton from him.
As in previous games a tailender showed up the top order. All kudos to him though. He batted beautifully.
Looking forward to good game (if the batting doesn't fold like a cheap suit).
Yes, I wrote a bit about Hughes but submitted before checking it.

Nevermind. :oops:

Looking forward to it tonight.

Hopefully England will set around 200 for the win. I hope Agar picks up a few wickets as well.

Prediction - Australian batting to collapse again with maybe Siddle hitting the winning runs after an against-the-odds stand with Hughes.

Either that or England bat on for a day an a half and bundle a sheepish Australia out for very little.

Or a draw.

Heck, I really don't know how this is going to play out. Good, isn't it?

Wage Slave
Shockproof shit detector
Shockproof shit detector

Unread post by Wage Slave » Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:57 pm

Very good cricket - you have to love The Ashes. England 160 odd for 4 so still anyone's game but Australia edging it - unless, ........Pitch could become a monster tomorrow.

I saw the debutant's innings as well yesterday. Delightful to watch and sincere congratulations, even if he should have been out cheaply really. That was a dreadful decision.
Don't hesitate to spoil the ship for a ha'porth of tar. You'll get credit for saving the ha'penny and someone else will get the blame for losing the ship.

RalphWiggum
LJ Oracle
LJ Oracle

Unread post by RalphWiggum » Sat Jul 13, 2013 1:58 am

I had tickets for day 5, then booked flights for Japan without checking the dates. Guess when I'm flying out... :roll:

Still, at this rate there may not be a day 5 at all!!!

That 98 was pretty spectacular. Agricultural at times but still, a great way for a young lad to start his Ashes career. And people say test cricket is boring!
Shit wank bollocks

Wage Slave
Shockproof shit detector
Shockproof shit detector

Unread post by Wage Slave » Sat Jul 13, 2013 2:10 pm

Fun and games :willnilly: . Broad was certainly out but Australians outraged because a batsman didn't walk? C'mon, pull the other one. So now now it's Agar on the one hand and Broad on the other. I doubt Broad will make it as expensive as Agar did. The Trott decision was far less clear cut - but dubious to say the least. Australia haven't got that much to complain about and if they hadn't wasted their reviews they could have avoided it. Did you hear Sir Geoffrey's reaction?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p01cnth3

I normally dislike the man but :rotfl:

Anyway, out or not at that stage Broad and Bell had already turned the balance of the game. England should be in control now unless Australia's batting improves considerably and/or England's bowling falls to pieces. And Swann should be a handful on this pitch in the last innings.
Don't hesitate to spoil the ship for a ha'porth of tar. You'll get credit for saving the ha'penny and someone else will get the blame for losing the ship.

RalphWiggum
LJ Oracle
LJ Oracle

Unread post by RalphWiggum » Sat Jul 13, 2013 9:10 pm

Wage Slave wrote:Fun and games :willnilly: . Broad was certainly out but Australians outraged because a batsman didn't walk? C'mon, pull the other one. So now now it's Agar on the one hand and Broad on the other. I doubt Broad will make it as expensive as Agar did. The Trott decision was far less clear cut - but dubious to say the least. Australia haven't got that much to complain about and if they hadn't wasted their reviews they could have avoided it. Did you hear Sir Geoffrey's reaction?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p01cnth3

I normally dislike the man but :rotfl:

Anyway, out or not at that stage Broad and Bell had already turned the balance of the game. England should be in control now unless Australia's batting improves considerably and/or England's bowling falls to pieces. And Swann should be a handful on this pitch in the last innings.
Australians outraged at a batsman not walking? :rotfl: nopity:
Shit wank bollocks

wilde_oscar
9 miles of bad road
9 miles of bad road

Unread post by wilde_oscar » Sat Jul 13, 2013 10:16 pm

Lunch on day four. Good to see the England tail rolled up reasonably quickly and no wickets down before lunch.

Still a fair bit to do but it would be great to see a wicketless session or two for Australia to get within easy reach.

The pitch looks to be pretty fair, have to see what it does if and when Swan get on and starts landing it.

It really is there for whichever team stands up. Terrific stuff.

Not sure why you describe Agar's innings as 'a bit agricultural', Ralph. I watched every ball and he looked pretty composed and had very good shot selection. He was, of course, the beneficiary of some pretty poor bowling, particularly from Finn, early on in his innings and used this to score quickly and get his eye in pretty well.

I suggest that not walking on a stumping (reviewed by the tv umpire) and not walking from Broad's catch-not-catch are not really comparable. If the TV umpire can't decide if he's out it's drawing a pretty long bow to expect a batsman (who is not in a position to adjudge whether or not his foot is behind the line when the wicket is broken) to walk and compare that to guy who knew he was the beneficiary of a howler.

Anyway, that's professional sports for you; take whatever you can because if you don't the other guy will.

One final question, who are worse the Australian commentators on Channel 9 or the English ones on Sky sports. There's not much in it...

RalphWiggum
LJ Oracle
LJ Oracle

Unread post by RalphWiggum » Sat Jul 13, 2013 11:32 pm

wilde_oscar wrote:Lunch on day four. Good to see the England tail rolled up reasonably quickly and no wickets down before lunch.

Still a fair bit to do but it would be great to see a wicketless session or two for Australia to get within easy reach.

The pitch looks to be pretty fair, have to see what it does if and when Swan get on and starts landing it.

It really is there for whichever team stands up. Terrific stuff.

Not sure why you describe Agar's innings as 'a bit agricultural', Ralph. I watched every ball and he looked pretty composed and had very good shot selection. He was, of course, the beneficiary of some pretty poor bowling, particularly from Finn, early on in his innings and used this to score quickly and get his eye in pretty well.

I suggest that not walking on a stumping (reviewed by the tv umpire) and not walking from Broad's catch-not-catch are not really comparable. If the TV umpire can't decide if he's out it's drawing a pretty long bow to expect a batsman (who is not in a position to adjudge whether or not his foot is behind the line when the wicket is broken) to walk and compare that to guy who knew he was the beneficiary of a howler.

Anyway, that's professional sports for you; take whatever you can because if you don't the other guy will.

One final question, who are worse the Australian commentators on Channel 9 or the English ones on Sky sports. There's not much in it...
Wasn't comparing the stumping with Broad's non-dismissal, and wasn't suggesting that he should have walked for the stumping. It was an awful decision from the 3rd umpire, but the batsman couldn't be expected to know for sure if the stumping was legit or not. My point is that not walking has been an Australian tactic for years, and it's nice to see the reaction when the boot's on the other foot.

Haven't heard the Channel 9 commentary. Sky are awful though - Test Match Special all the way for me!
Shit wank bollocks

Wage Slave
Shockproof shit detector
Shockproof shit detector

Unread post by Wage Slave » Sun Jul 14, 2013 2:11 am

wilde_oscar wrote: I suggest that not walking on a stumping (reviewed by the tv umpire) and not walking from Broad's catch-not-catch are not really comparable. If the TV umpire can't decide if he's out it's drawing a pretty long bow to expect a batsman (who is not in a position to adjudge whether or not his foot is behind the line when the wicket is broken) to walk and compare that to guy who knew he was the beneficiary of a howler.
And you would be right - I meant that bad decisions in this match had affected both teams rather than just one.

You were right about the pitch - Swann isn't getting anything much from it and Anderson didn't really fire either. I thought Swam would get more from the rough than he is. Some good concentration from Australia and finally some tight bowling from England. A still anybody's game - Excellent game of cricket.

wilde_oscar
9 miles of bad road
9 miles of bad road

Unread post by wilde_oscar » Sun Jul 14, 2013 9:22 pm

RalphWiggum wrote:My point is that not walking has been an Australian tactic for years, and it's nice to see the reaction when the boot's on the other foot.
The way you guys go on it's like you think that non-walking/sledging/whatever that's 'not cricket' originated with Australia, and probably the Australian team that dominated for so many years once the West Indies faded.

Not so! English cricket has a long and glorious(?) history of similar or worse behaviour going back at least as far as WG Grace (who was a notorious non walker, sledger - called 'chaffing in those days apparently - and an out-and-out cheat).

One bright point is that no Australian team ever based their game plan on attempting to injure the opposition.

Finally, the last great act of non-walking was, of course, from Adam Gilchrist (in a game by no means unimportant, at a stage where surrendering his wicket was by no means inconsequential). I do not need to remind you that Gilchrist was an ... Australian.

Anyway, back to the matter at hand, it looks like Australian middle order are continuing to underperform and that will probably be the difference.

Agar and Starc have departed and it's up to Siddle and Haddin to find 91 more runs....

I hope they can do it (of course) but wouldn't bet the farm, or even a tiny portion of it, on Australia for the win.

That said, it's been a magnificent test and hopefully has set up a great back-to-back series. England have it over Australia in their batting line-up while the bowlers are probably reasonably comparable.

wilde_oscar
9 miles of bad road
9 miles of bad road

Unread post by wilde_oscar » Sun Jul 14, 2013 10:40 pm

Lunch - who would have though it would get this close?

20 to win (19 to draw) or one wicket. 45 minutes of anticipation....

wilde_oscar
9 miles of bad road
9 miles of bad road

Unread post by wilde_oscar » Sun Jul 14, 2013 11:25 pm

There we go. What a shit way to end a thriller with a line call from a video umpire on a referral.

Very deflating and, while to a certain extent in its spirit, not doing justice to the match.

Wage Slave
Shockproof shit detector
Shockproof shit detector

Unread post by Wage Slave » Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:18 am

Wonderful game of cricket - Is it 2005 all over again? I hope so. All credit to Australia for fighting so hard right to the end. Test cricket when it's like this is the greatest sport in the world without a shadow and both teams were brilliant.

I don't agree it was a deflating way to end the game - It was the right way. He WAS out. He snicked it and was given out, on review, fair and square. That's what the technology is for and it has been a huge boon to the game. Since we agree that a lot of players from all sides are not going to walk unless they are given out, we need it.

BergKatse
Hopeless Drone
Hopeless Drone

Unread post by BergKatse » Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:45 am

Aleem Dar is probably glad that game's over.

wilde_oscar
9 miles of bad road
9 miles of bad road

Unread post by wilde_oscar » Mon Jul 15, 2013 3:36 pm

Wage Slave wrote:Wonderful game of cricket - Is it 2005 all over again? I hope so. All credit to Australia for fighting so hard right to the end. Test cricket when it's like this is the greatest sport in the world without a shadow and both teams were brilliant.
Agreed. Except for the outcome, of course. 8)
Wage Slave wrote:I don't agree it was a deflating way to end the game - It was the right way. He WAS out. He snicked it and was given out, on review, fair and square. That's what the technology is for and it has been a huge boon to the game. Since we agree that a lot of players from all sides are not going to walk unless they are given out, we need it.
Disagree, it was the correct way for the game to end but not really right given the way it was playing out.

The technology is good and I'm all for it. Should there be more referrals? Well, I imagine if there were then they would be called into play all the time. On this occasion the way the DRS is structured suited England as they used their reviews better rather than Australia who squandered their reviews and didn't have them available when a patently wrong decision needed correction. Yet another thing for a captain to worry about. Remember how Haddin (was it?) asked for a referral and then checked himself because he thought he was checking for a caught behind and only after he initiated the referral did he think to ask if it was for LBW? This sort-of implies more work needs to be done on this.

I guess whatever is done the professionals will find a way to 'game' it to their advantage.

Anyway, that's done and dusted.

England looked an okay unit with probably the only real weak link being Finn. It can't have helped his confidence to have been yanked after haemorrhaging runs for two overs and then grassing that very hard chance after losing sight and letting an easy boundary through. The Sherminator showed how to bat in the prevailing conditions and, to their credit, some of the Australians learnt from him in their second innings. If Anderson is injured it will be interesting to see if anyone else is capable of stepping up.

Now that the openers have realised that they're not Hayden and Langer the main point of concern is the Australian middle order who are passengers more often than not; having the 10th wicket as the most productive is both wonderful to watch and worrying. I like Ed Cowan, but I wonder if he'll be on the roster if he doesn't get his act together next test. A winning Australia could carry an out-of-sorts Tubb in the Windies, but not sure if a losing Australia has room for a brittle skipper who isn't getting runs. He probably has a lot more 'credits' in reserve not the least because if they drop Clarke the who'll step up?

Other than that, the Aussie bowling is reasonably solid with everyone contributing something - even Watson while wicketless was miserly.

Let's see how we go when it starts again at the end of the week.

This is shaping up to be a pretty good series.

RalphWiggum
LJ Oracle
LJ Oracle

Unread post by RalphWiggum » Sun Jul 28, 2013 12:49 am

No mention of the second test? I haven't seen any of it as I'm in Japan at the moment. Sounded like a slaughter though. Which is nice.
Shit wank bollocks

angryboy
Busdriver
Busdriver

Unread post by angryboy » Sun Jul 28, 2013 8:54 am

From my POV it`s not worth mentioning.Woeful,woeful,woeful.

wilde_oscar
9 miles of bad road
9 miles of bad road

Unread post by wilde_oscar » Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:53 pm

angryboy wrote:From my POV it`s not worth mentioning.Woeful,woeful,woeful.
I stopped watching when Rogers got out to a park cricket quality ball with a l,ess-than-park cricket quality shot.

Enjoy it, Ralph. We had our laughs when England was in a similar position.

angryboy
Busdriver
Busdriver

Unread post by angryboy » Tue Jul 30, 2013 4:12 pm

wilde_oscar wrote:
:agree:

And in the same way,I couldn`t find a Brit who liked/gave a toss about cricket back then.

bostonaussie
Jaded Veteran
Jaded Veteran

Unread post by bostonaussie » Wed Jul 31, 2013 12:30 am

angryboy wrote:
wilde_oscar wrote:
:agree:

And in the same way,I couldn`t find a Brit who liked/gave a toss about cricket back then.

Agreed. Its pretty fucking grim at the minute.

angryboy
Busdriver
Busdriver

Unread post by angryboy » Fri Aug 02, 2013 12:00 am

DAFAQ is the point of the DRS????? Stevie Wonder could have seen that was not out!!

wilde_oscar
9 miles of bad road
9 miles of bad road

Unread post by wilde_oscar » Tue Aug 06, 2013 11:28 am

Well, in the end it didn't really matter. A shame as it would have been good for the Ashes to still be a 'live' series but the rain put paid to that.

Good signs of improvement from Australia so hopefully the next two matches will be worth watching.

As for the DRS, it sems to create as many problems as it solves. Review of both how and if it is used is in order. Wo knows, maybe India got it right to refuse to use it.

Wage Slave
Shockproof shit detector
Shockproof shit detector

Unread post by Wage Slave » Tue Aug 06, 2013 11:54 am

Yes, Australia definitely outplayed England in that game and they walk away with the bragging rights. A victory would have kept the series alive but there is still plenty to play for and I'm certainly looking forward to the next game.

I can't agree regarding DRS. So there may have been one or two iffy decisions even with it. Remember the old days? There were iffy decisions all over the place. It isn't perfect and it still requires human judgement but the judgements are better quality with it than without it and that's what counts. And it counts a lot - Bad decisions can and do swing matches and no-one wants that.

Over time the technology will improve as will the interpretation of the results. The baby and the bathwater methinks.

Wage Slave
Shockproof shit detector
Shockproof shit detector

Unread post by Wage Slave » Tue Aug 13, 2013 12:45 pm

Well, Broad does the business for England to win the fourth test. A pretty gripping game that Australia could have won had they had a bit more depth. England has a real problem with their top order and Australia appears to have one with their middle order. It would have been easy to panic with Australia at 2 for 168 - the fact that they didn't and then finished the job off in ruthless fashion is encouraging.

Some great examples of why DRS means better decisions and a better game. Rogers surviving a bad but wholly forgivable decision twice is a perfect example. OK, the how needs to be refined but but the case for why is surely proven.

RalphWiggum
LJ Oracle
LJ Oracle

Unread post by RalphWiggum » Wed Aug 14, 2013 2:13 am

Good to see that there's always at least one member of the England bowling attack who can be relied on to prop up the others when they have an off game. Also good to see that the Aussies have no backbone whatsoever. Seriously, watching them snatch defeat from the jaws of victory is like watching England in the 1990s. I fucking love it. There are commentators and journalists over here bemoaning the lack of a contest. Maybe I'll think like that in a few years time, but I'm not sure walloping Australia will ever get boring.
Shit wank bollocks

wilde_oscar
9 miles of bad road
9 miles of bad road

Unread post by wilde_oscar » Wed Aug 14, 2013 11:34 am

Graceful in victory I see.