Give me a cricket tidbit!

A forum for sports talk.
Forum rules
The basic forum rules are here :wink: . Refer to the BBCode Guide for information on using BBCode tags, plus this post about additional tags for embedding video.

Re: Give me a cricket tidbit!

Unread postby Wage Slave » Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:24 pm

RalphWiggum wrote:
MacGyver wrote:So Brett Lee just announced his retirement. No doubt the time had come for sure but I'll be sad to see him go. Great player and by all accounts great bloke too. Still have a pair of his cricket shoes his manager gave me years ago....

So that leaves the Aussies with approximately no talented players... :mrgreen:

Now now. It's very bad form to gloat - even if they did endlessly when the boot was on the other foot.
Don't hesitate to spoil the ship for a ha'porth of tar. You'll get credit for saving the ha'penny and someone else will get the blame for losing the ship.
Wage Slave
Shockproof shit detector
Shockproof shit detector

Unread postby RalphWiggum » Sat Jul 14, 2012 12:13 am

Wage Slave wrote:
RalphWiggum wrote:
MacGyver wrote:So Brett Lee just announced his retirement. No doubt the time had come for sure but I'll be sad to see him go. Great player and by all accounts great bloke too. Still have a pair of his cricket shoes his manager gave me years ago....

So that leaves the Aussies with approximately no talented players... :mrgreen:

Now now. It's very bad form to gloat - even if they did endlessly when the boot was on the other foot.

Bad form my arse. All four of the one dayers that went ahead were easy wins for England, and had it not been for the washout we'd be the top ranked team in all forms of the game. If there were ever a time to gloat it's now.
Shit wank bollocks
RalphWiggum
LJ Oracle
LJ Oracle

Unread postby Wage Slave » Sat Jul 14, 2012 12:27 am

RalphWiggum wrote:Bad form my arse. All four of the one dayers that went ahead were easy wins for England, and had it not been for the washout we'd be the top ranked team in all forms of the game. If there were ever a time to gloat it's now.

:lol: That's all true :lol:
Don't hesitate to spoil the ship for a ha'porth of tar. You'll get credit for saving the ha'penny and someone else will get the blame for losing the ship.
Wage Slave
Shockproof shit detector
Shockproof shit detector

Unread postby MacGyver » Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:12 pm

Wage Slave wrote:
RalphWiggum wrote:Bad form my arse. All four of the one dayers that went ahead were easy wins for England, and had it not been for the washout we'd be the top ranked team in all forms of the game. If there were ever a time to gloat it's now.

:lol: That's all true :lol:

Yes its true the time to gloat is now and you might as well now cause it won't last long. You've already proven how poor away from home you are and a couple of series away are coming up. Altho the Saffers might take #1 test ranking away from you before that. And the short form rankings are meaningless unless you win the WCs. You were shit last WC50 and somehow won the last WC20 but let's see how you go this time around.

As for the Boucher incident, the man himself is claiming the ball hit him, not the bail. Altho there's a pic on cricinfo with what appears to be the bail hitting him.

Edited to add: I just had a thought I had never considered in regards to the keeper not lidding up. Up until last year (and only when playing for Japan) I never wore a lid when batting. Mostly cause they were just coming out when I was about 16 (certainly at the grade level) and most players didn't wear them. I gave it a short crack in the nets and never liked it and never tried again. The only reason why I wear one now playing for Japan is cause the bowlers we face at tournaments are rather sharp and I'm not used to that speed now cause there are very few bowlers that I'd label quick in Japan. Plus getting a bit older my reaction times have surely slowed down. Yet I know a lot of peeps here that wear them without thought. Some cause they feel frightened without them and others cause they are concerned about a top edge to the face. And this is the same at international level. All batsmen wear them and you are accused of being disrespectful if you don't! Yet few keepers automatically stick on a lid when they stand up. Cause I don't when batting nor keeping, I hadn't thought much about it. But it occurred to me why would keepers automatically lid up when they bat and not when they stand up to keep? Interestingly you have more power over getting out of the way of the ball (with the exception of a top edge) than you do when you keep. And I've always been more wary of a ball in the face when keeping than when batting....
"Yous guys talk a lotta shit. I'm much more smarter than all a yous." - Samurai Jerk after being owned by the Let's Japan crew.
MacGyver
Shockproof shit detector
Shockproof shit detector

Unread postby RalphWiggum » Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:59 pm

We'll have to see how much of that ends up being true. The thing is though, we're fucking streets ahead of Australia and that's the most important thing.
Shit wank bollocks
RalphWiggum
LJ Oracle
LJ Oracle

Unread postby MacGyver » Thu Aug 23, 2012 1:02 pm

RalphWiggum wrote:We'll have to see how much of that ends up being true.

This thread has become conspicuously quiet recently.... Yeah I was wrong in that you lost top spot before even going to India. The slide down the rankings has begun I'd suggest. Spoiler alert: Your blokes are shit at playing spin. And yes so are the Aussies to be fair. I only state the obvious because the pommy journos and fans seemed to be surprised by this fact when they got humped in the middle east and Sri Lanka. I'd suggest India in India will be a tougher task that SL in SL or Pakistan in the middle east....

RalphWiggum wrote: The thing is though, we're fucking streets ahead of Australia and that's the most important thing.

For your sake I hope your cricketers don't have this attitude. Although their recent form suggests that they do.....And according to the rankings, no you're not. You're only one point in front and if we beat the Saffers in the summer we're back on top....

In other news, there's a show called Howzat! being shown in Oz at the minute. Gonna see if I can download it but in the meantime I saw this article.
http://wwos.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=8520662

Former Australia cricketer Gary Cosier has risked the ire of fans across the country after claiming the legendary Sir Donald Bradman was loathed by many players.

Cosier, who played 18 Tests for Australia, was thrown back into the public spotlight this week after being portrayed as a World Series Cricket outcast in Channel Nine’s hit TV series Howzat.

He believes dislike for 'The Don' was one of the main reasons that Australia’s top cricketers chose to sign up for Kerry Packer’s famous cricket revolution.

"The thing that hasn't been written before is that during the 1977 Centenary Test at our pre-match gathering, Rod Marsh and a few other players were just so harsh on Bradman," Cosier told The Courier-Mail.

"We were there to play against the Poms the next day and Sir Donald got as big a serve as any of the Englishmen did - probably a lot more.

"There was an intense, I don't know if hatred is the right word, but dislike (for Bradman).

"Plenty of the players were carrying on about Bradman and saying they couldn't stand him. As long as Bradman was alive, they thought he kind of ran Australian cricket, and they didn't like that."

While Cosier was not offered a breakaway contract like most of his teammates at the time, he has dismissed suggestions he is bitter.

He says his portrayal in Howzat! is consistent with what occurred.

Sir Donald Bradman, who died in 2001, is arguably cricket’s most revered figure and widely regarded as the greatest batsman of all time.

After 52 Test matches, he finished with a batting average of 99.94, before serving as an administrator, selector and writer for three decades.

Anyone who knows anything about cricket knows that he wasn't liked by many that played with him or dealt with him. Not exactly a revelation.... :hohum:
"Yous guys talk a lotta shit. I'm much more smarter than all a yous." - Samurai Jerk after being owned by the Let's Japan crew.
MacGyver
Shockproof shit detector
Shockproof shit detector

Unread postby MacGyver » Thu Aug 23, 2012 1:31 pm

As for Pietersen, the guy is a dickhead and deserved to be dumped. Team is greater than any one man. And this sort of attitude is nothing new. People have always said that when he left Natal there was more to it than what Pietersen said (the quota system) and its pretty obvious that what they meant by that is that they didn't have any time for him cause of his attitude. He's also run afoul of at least one pommy county side as well.

Interesting what a difference one week makes as well. Last week the Switch Hit guys were saying "Its not entirely Kevin's fault" and somewhat defending him. This week they were destroying him.... Was also funny to hear George Dobell backtrack on comments he made about Philander... :rotfl:
MacGyver
Shockproof shit detector
Shockproof shit detector

Unread postby RalphWiggum » Fri Aug 24, 2012 10:39 pm

MacGyver wrote:As for Pietersen, the guy is a dickhead and deserved to be dumped. Team is greater than any one man. And this sort of attitude is nothing new. People have always said that when he left Natal there was more to it than what Pietersen said (the quota system) and its pretty obvious that what they meant by that is that they didn't have any time for him cause of his attitude. He's also run afoul of at least one pommy county side as well.

Interesting what a difference one week makes as well. Last week the Switch Hit guys were saying "Its not entirely Kevin's fault" and somewhat defending him. This week they were destroying him.... Was also funny to hear George Dobell backtrack on comments he made about Philander... :rotfl:

Conspicuously quiet? Well, I've been conspicuously on holiday for the past week which explains that. Also, nowhere near as conspicuously quiet as you went for months after the ashes. But I digress... :eyes:

Yep, disappointing series for sure, though it was a lot closer than the results suggest. The first test was a disaster and a real eye-opener. We got a right humping and deserved to - Amla was on fire and we had no answer to him. The second test could have gone either way and ended with the draw, and the only thing seperating the sides in the final test was two dropped catches. It's the results that count though and as I said, disappointing.

We'll still ruin the convicts next summer though!
Shit wank bollocks
RalphWiggum
LJ Oracle
LJ Oracle

Unread postby Edogaijin » Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:33 pm

watched Howzat last night...except for the bad acting it was incredibly enjoyable.
Edogaijin
Eikaiwa Hero
Eikaiwa Hero

Unread postby MacGyver » Wed Aug 29, 2012 1:03 pm

Edogaijin wrote:watched Howzat last night...except for the bad acting it was incredibly enjoyable.

LOL I thought the Packer character/actor was good. And the scenes of the actors playing cricket.... :rotfl: but yeah me too. I thought it was very enjoyable and interesting. I know Packer was overweight and had health issues for much of his latter life, having a few heart attacks and then eventually dying of those health issues at 68, but to show him eating in virtually every second scene was over the top. Even if he did eat a lot/all the time, no need to show it that much. Didn't really see the point of it.

Also liked how it portrayed Chappelli as an abrasive character, even falling foul of Tony Greig, who by all accounts is a really lovely man. And by all accounts, Chappelli *is* an abrasive character although its that abrasiveness, that forthrightness that makes him such a good commentator and analyst of the game.
MacGyver
Shockproof shit detector
Shockproof shit detector

Unread postby angryboy » Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:08 am

Never get sick of watching Warner do this!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-rk6aXY ... r_embedded
valve-bouncer wrote:Fuck me, I hope to christ you are a troll because the possibility of someone so mind-numbingly boring as you walking amongst us gives me the fear.
angryboy
Busdriver
Busdriver

Unread postby angryboy » Sun Oct 21, 2012 8:01 pm

Tony Greig in a small spot of bother.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/england/con ... 87398.html
valve-bouncer wrote:Fuck me, I hope to christ you are a troll because the possibility of someone so mind-numbingly boring as you walking amongst us gives me the fear.
angryboy
Busdriver
Busdriver

Unread postby angryboy » Sat Nov 10, 2012 9:25 am

Aus getting their pants pulled down by the Saffers.
As usual, the bowling is flat,uninspiring and no bite.They are saying the pitch isn`t helping
but wait till we bat.I predict Steyn and co. will rip through them.
A convincing win for SAF coming up.

Just checked, it`s pissing down.Could save us.
angryboy
Busdriver
Busdriver

Unread postby wilde_oscar » Mon Nov 12, 2012 1:09 pm

angryboy wrote:Aus getting their pants pulled down by the Saffers.
As usual, the bowling is flat,uninspiring and no bite.They are saying the pitch isn`t helping

Cowan just got his ton. Clarke is pretty close, but the three that were out were out quick and out cheap - they'd fit right in with the team I play for!

With a whole day lost to rain, barring major collapses, it looks to be heading towards a draw.
Never try to teach a pig to sing - it wastes your time and annoys the pig.
wilde_oscar
Eikaiwa Hero
Eikaiwa Hero

Unread postby BergKatse » Mon Nov 12, 2012 5:42 pm

Michael Clarke! It's quite a feat for a guy who averages in the late 40s after 80-something tests to raise his average by 1.75 in a single innings. His average before Australia's innings was 48.77. He's finished the day on 218 n.o. with an average of 50.52. Not bad.
BergKatse
Jaded Veteran
Jaded Veteran

Unread postby MacGyver » Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:37 pm

Pity about day 2 getting washed out. Would have been a cracking contest otherwise. Was gonna say after day 1 that there were shades of Eng vs. SA first test and even after day 4 it does mirror that contest, although with SA as Eng, and Aus as SA. GABBA deck is obviously a road though so hard going for the bowlers. No doubt SA are ruing leaving Tahir out....
MacGyver
Shockproof shit detector
Shockproof shit detector

Unread postby angryboy » Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:42 pm

:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:
angryboy
Busdriver
Busdriver

Unread postby MacGyver » Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:13 pm

angryboy wrote:

:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

Haha don't worry mate. I had a couple of poms giving me shit the other night at the end of day 3. Ooooops. Was having an email exchange with one of them last night on an unrelated topic and at the end of it I mentioned the score and suggested he may have spoke too soon. Not surprisingly, no reply. :lol:

Although I would imagine that Perth will be a different story and with the Saffer quicks, you'd think they'd be favourites to win it.
MacGyver
Shockproof shit detector
Shockproof shit detector

Unread postby MacGyver » Tue Nov 13, 2012 4:28 pm

And that's the end of that. Pity about the second day. Could well have been an exciting finish.

Looking forward to watching the Saffer quicks on the Perth deck (although I probably won't get to actually see any of the match itself unfortunately). Can't imagine that test will be a draw and there could be some real fireworks. I'd back the Saffers to win but we also have a fairly decent pack of quicks so you never know.
MacGyver
Shockproof shit detector
Shockproof shit detector

Unread postby MacGyver » Tue Nov 13, 2012 5:20 pm

Oooops. Next test is in Adelaide, not Perth apparently.... :doh:
MacGyver
Shockproof shit detector
Shockproof shit detector

Unread postby BergKatse » Wed Nov 14, 2012 4:41 pm

No matter how many times you see footage of these guys, it's still thrilling. What bloody menaces!
BergKatse
Jaded Veteran
Jaded Veteran

Unread postby MacGyver » Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:41 pm

Pity the game is so in favour of batsmen now though. Nothing to fear these days with all the protective gear they wear and the pitches are so flat and covered. Not to mention bat technology now.
MacGyver
Shockproof shit detector
Shockproof shit detector

Unread postby Wage Slave » Fri Nov 16, 2012 8:20 pm

I had kind of forgotten but Thompson really did have the ultimate slingy action didn't he. He almost paused with the ball way way down and across near the ground before his full body swivelled and powered the ball on its way.
Wage Slave
Shockproof shit detector
Shockproof shit detector

Unread postby angryboy » Fri Nov 16, 2012 8:33 pm

Wage Slave wrote:I had kind of forgotten but Thompson really did have the ultimate slingy action didn't he. He almost paused with the ball way way down and across near the ground before his full body swivelled and powered the ball on its way.

Any batsman that faced Thommo say he was the fastest and the most consistently fast.I reckon
with that action he only had one speed.
I have heard it said that a lot say he is by far the fastest ever as a lot of the times he wasn`t clocked
yet they swear he was bowling faster than his (then) record time. That and someone else reckoned that
these days the ball is clocked as it leaves the bowlers hand but back then it was clocked as it reached
the batsman.I can`t say this is true either was but does anyone know?
angryboy
Busdriver
Busdriver

Unread postby angryboy » Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:12 pm

Stumbled on these just now.A bit old and a lot of them are pretty pissweak but a few pissers among them.
Couldn`t be rooted taking out the shit ones.

Q. What is the height of optimism?
A. An English batsmen putting on sunscreen.
Q. What would Glenn McGrath be if he was English?
A. An all-rounder.
Q. What is the main function of the England coach?
A. To transport the team from the hotel to the ground.
Q. Why is Darren Gough the unluckiest bowler on tour?
A. Because he was born in England.
Q. What's the English version of a hat-trick?
A. Three runs in three balls.
Q. Why don't English fielders need pre-tour travel injections?
A. Because they never catch anything.
Q. What's the English version of LBW?
A. Lost, Beaten, Walloped.
Q. What do you call a Englishman with 100 runs against his name?
A. A bowler.
Q. Who has the easiest job in the England touring party?
A. The guy who removes the red ball marks from the bats.
Q. What advantage do Nasser Hussain, Mark Ramprakash, Dean Headley, Alex Tudor and Graham Hick have over the rest of their team mates?
A. At least they can say they're not really English.
Q. What does "Ashes" stand for?
A. Another Sad Horrific English Series.
Q. What do English batsmen and drug addicts have in common?
A. Both spend most of their time wondering where their next score will come from.
Q. Why are English batsmen looking forward to the new millennium?
A. So they can at least say they passed a century.
Q. Who spent the most time at the crease of anyone in the English world cup squad?
A. The lady who ironed the cricket whites.
Q. Why are English cricketers more clever than Houdini?
A. Because they can get out without even trying.
Q. What does Gough put in his hands to make sure the next ball almost always takes a wicket?
A. A bat.
Q. What is the difference between Cinderella and Graeme Hick?
A. Cinderella made it to the ball.
Q. What's the most proficient form of footwork displayed by the England midfielders?
A. The walk back to the dressing room.
Q. What do the England cricket team and Paula Yates have in common?
A. They've both been fucked by the Aussies, but Paula brought the ashes home.
angryboy
Busdriver
Busdriver

Unread postby angryboy » Thu Nov 22, 2012 1:31 pm

Clark and Warner gorging on pies!
angryboy
Busdriver
Busdriver

Unread postby MacGyver » Thu Nov 22, 2012 2:22 pm

angryboy wrote:Clark and Warner gorging on pies!

Early and outrageous prediction: a draw. Unless it takes spin and has uneven bounce (as per the curator's comments) its such a road and they have such a good batting attack and we don't have a recognized spinner, I can't see any other outcome. Unless we collapse in our second dig.

In other news, can someone please show Ponting the door? Thanks for your service mate but its time to leave...
MacGyver
Shockproof shit detector
Shockproof shit detector

Unread postby BergKatse » Thu Nov 22, 2012 4:03 pm

Bloody hell! Clarke has just hit Morkel for 20 in an over! Insane!
BergKatse
Jaded Veteran
Jaded Veteran

Unread postby MacGyver » Thu Nov 22, 2012 5:04 pm

BergKatse wrote:Bloody hell! Clarke has just hit Morkel for 20 in an over! Insane!

About to make history with another double....He's on 199 as I type this....
MacGyver
Shockproof shit detector
Shockproof shit detector

Unread postby BergKatse » Thu Nov 22, 2012 5:08 pm

MacGyver wrote:
BergKatse wrote:Bloody hell! Clarke has just hit Morkel for 20 in an over! Insane!

About to make history with another double....He's on 199 as I type this....

Not only is he now the only guy in history to score four double centuries in a year, Hussey brought up his 100 with a six the very next ball. In-bloody-credible.
BergKatse
Jaded Veteran
Jaded Veteran

PreviousNext

Return to Sports