dribbling outside the box

A forum for sports talk.
Forum rules
The basic forum rules are here :wink: . Refer to the BBCode Guide for information on using BBCode tags, plus this post about additional tags for embedding video.

Re: dribbling outside the box

Unread postby RalphWiggum » Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:52 pm

No place for that kind of shit in the modern workplace. Lots of reaction in the UK has been about "thought police" and the "PC mafia". Well, you're free to say or think whatever you like but as these clowns have found out, you can't do it on company time any more.
Shit wank bollocks
RalphWiggum
LJ Oracle
LJ Oracle

Unread postby HagiwaraMai » Thu Jan 27, 2011 11:15 pm

RalphWiggum wrote:No place for that kind of shit in the modern workplace. Lots of reaction in the UK has been about "thought police" and the "PC mafia". Well, you're free to say or think whatever you like but as these clowns have found out, you can't do it on company time any more.
Added to which, the whole "Thought Police/PC Mafia" talk is pure garbage. I could understand it if only the second and third of the 3 videos had been were released, as they were just a bit rude but nothing that is anyone else's business when you don't know the relationships of the people involved, but the first one was genuine sexism. If the comment had been "There's a black guy/chinese guy/homosexual running the line today, what do they know about the offside rule" there would never have been any debate about what they deserved and they would probably have got death threats and their houses picketed.
HagiwaraMai
Jaded Veteran
Jaded Veteran

Unread postby InTheColdLightOfDay » Tue Feb 01, 2011 3:02 pm

As lacking in self-awareness as Keys' "Do me a favour, love" comment was, the Sun might well have apparently outdone him.
In covering the deposition, The Sun also sank to new, bearably believable levels of hypocrisy, with a front page that featured a picture of Sian Massey in a short skirt (stolen from her Facebook page) alongside a snapshot of the disgraced duo with the headline 'Get 'em off'. The most overtly sexist way to demand a sacking over sexism you will ever see.

I know it's the Sun, but still.

Anyway, bit of a mental end to the transfer window, eh?
So much for Abramovich insisting that Chelsea become self-sufficent.
And Liverpool's new front 2 might not be the kind of people you'd want to introduce to your Mum, but they're capable of scoring a goal or 2.

Rangers have taken Diouf on loan from Blackburn, so I'd imagine most neutrals would now be pulling for Celtic to win the league.
Maybe should have signed a centre-back to help out with that, though.

Oh, and Man United - Crawley Town in the 5th round of the FA Cup. Madness!
Each monkeys has different face. It's very difficult to distinguish monkey's face, like we can't memorize foreigner's face.
InTheColdLightOfDay
9 miles of bad road
9 miles of bad road

Unread postby katamari » Tue Feb 01, 2011 6:51 pm

yer not wrong about the CB...

diouf is gonna get it in the neck at EVERY scottish ground. what kind of grown man spits in a childs face?
How do I get out of this chickenshit outfit?
katamari
Eikaiwa Hero
Eikaiwa Hero

Unread postby InTheColdLightOfDay » Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:45 pm

I don't get the media's obsession with how long it's been since Arsenal won a trophy.
It's not THAT long.
Longer than Birmingham, though...
Each monkeys has different face. It's very difficult to distinguish monkey's face, like we can't memorize foreigner's face.
InTheColdLightOfDay
9 miles of bad road
9 miles of bad road

Unread postby Touchstone » Sat Jan 14, 2012 8:27 am

Been a bit quiet on this thread recently. My predictions for the footy:

Premier League Champions: Man City - can't see them throwing it away
FA Cup: Everton - I can but dream
League Cup: Liverpool - should get passed City now and only Cardiff/Palace to beat
SPL - Celtic: should just about beat Rangers to the title
EURO 2012: Germany - lots of exciting young players developing nicely. Can't see Spain making it three in a row.
European Cup: Barcelona - though Madrid will be a lot closer this year

More interesting will be how FIFA's new fair play rules change the football landscape and how the bigs boys will get round them....which they almost certainly will.
"There is in every village a torch - the teacher; and an extinguisher - the clergyman"

Victor Hugo
Touchstone
Hopeless Drone
Hopeless Drone

Unread postby BergKatse » Sat Jan 14, 2012 1:55 pm

'Fraid I'm not a football follower, so this is all a bit apropos of nothing...

My wife recently bought me a tie. It's a red one. "Look at the cute little devils on it," she said. "They've got little pitchforks."

It's a Manchester United tie.

I feel a bit weird wearing the tie precisely because I don't give a damn about association football one way or the other but I know everyone who likes soccer who sees me wearing it will automatically assume I am a Manchester United fan. Depending on their point of view, that will make me either a good guy or a dick.
BergKatse
Jaded Veteran
Jaded Veteran

Unread postby RalphWiggum » Sat Jan 14, 2012 11:07 pm

BergKatse wrote:'Fraid I'm not a football follower, so this is all a bit apropos of nothing...

My wife recently bought me a tie. It's a red one. "Look at the cute little devils on it," she said. "They've got little pitchforks."

It's a Manchester United tie.

I feel a bit weird wearing the tie precisely because I don't give a damn about association football one way or the other but I know everyone who likes soccer who sees me wearing it will automatically assume I am a Manchester United fan. Depending on their point of view, that will make me either a good guy or a dick.

It makes you a dick. Even Man Utd fans accept they're dicks.
Shit wank bollocks
RalphWiggum
LJ Oracle
LJ Oracle

Unread postby katamari » Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:09 pm

bump

Glasgow Rangers.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHA.

o my poor sides.
How do I get out of this chickenshit outfit?
katamari
Eikaiwa Hero
Eikaiwa Hero

Unread postby Touchstone » Fri Aug 31, 2012 11:05 pm

You wouldn't be a Celtic fan, would you? ;) Scottish Third Division sides must be rubbing their hands with glee at the prospect of two visits from Rangers. I don't think Rangers will be the last British team to suffer such a fate either. I can see a few clubs South of the border getting the financial spanking of their life. QPR next?

katamari wrote:bump

Glasgow Rangers.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHA.

o my poor sides.
"There is in every village a torch - the teacher; and an extinguisher - the clergyman"

Victor Hugo
Touchstone
Hopeless Drone
Hopeless Drone

Unread postby RalphWiggum » Sat Sep 01, 2012 3:24 am

Touchstone wrote:You wouldn't be a Celtic fan, would you? ;) Scottish Third Division sides must be rubbing their hands with glee at the prospect of two visits from Rangers. I don't think Rangers will be the last British team to suffer such a fate either. I can see a few clubs South of the border getting the financial spanking of their life. QPR next?

Only if you don't count Portsmouth who are already as fucked as fucked can be...
Shit wank bollocks
RalphWiggum
LJ Oracle
LJ Oracle

Unread postby Touchstone » Sat Sep 01, 2012 5:56 pm

Yeah, forgot about Portsmouth. There does seem to be a small bit of sunshine on the horizon for them though. A group of supporters have set up a trust and have put a bid in. The only other bid has come from a former owner, Chanrai, who basically wants to asset strip what's left to get back money he's owed. Supporter-owned trusts or co-ops are the only way forward for footy I think. The money men are destroying it like they do everything else.

Victor Hugo
Touchstone
Hopeless Drone
Hopeless Drone

Previous

Return to Sports