Rugby Union

A forum for sports talk.
Forum rules
The basic forum rules are here :wink: . Refer to the BBCode Guide for information on using BBCode tags, plus this post about additional tags for embedding video.
BergKatse
Hopeless Drone
Hopeless Drone

Re: Rugby Union

Unread post by BergKatse » Sun Nov 09, 2014 12:18 pm

Thoughts on last night's England vs. New Zealand game:
  • May's elusive pace in the early stages of last night's game showed that the All Blacks are just as vulnerable to sharp, incisive running as everyone else. Between that and the way England played when they won in 2012, as well as the way Ireland (last year), South Africa and Australia (this year) rattled them this year, they've shown how New Zealand can be beaten.
  • The All Blacks never seem to panic. If anything, it's the opposite: they get over-confident (e.g. when Dagg almost blew a try with a 3-on-1 overlap). But even those times are rare; they just seem so calm under pressure.
  • Prediction: The IRB will introduce new laws to restrict the influence on the game of repeated replays of something in the play that the officials have missed.

RalphWiggum
LJ Oracle
LJ Oracle

Unread post by RalphWiggum » Sun Nov 09, 2014 10:04 pm

BergKatse wrote:Thoughts on last night's England vs. New Zealand game:
  • May's elusive pace in the early stages of last night's game showed that the All Blacks are just as vulnerable to sharp, incisive running as everyone else. Between that and the way England played when they won in 2012, as well as the way Ireland (last year), South Africa and Australia (this year) rattled them this year, they've shown how New Zealand can be beaten.
  • The All Blacks never seem to panic. If anything, it's the opposite: they get over-confident (e.g. when Dagg almost blew a try with a 3-on-1 overlap). But even those times are rare; they just seem so calm under pressure.
  • Prediction: The IRB will introduce new laws to restrict the influence on the game of repeated replays of something in the play that the officials have missed.
England should have had the game wrapped up after 15 minutes - Jonny May should have passed inside to Farrell after the kick and chase, and Mike Brown fumbled that pass in the corner (of all people too - he's normally a safe pair of hands...). The All Black tries were soft - England's defence needs sorting out. Some dubious refereeing decisions too. The ABs are an amazing side though. They'll still be the team to beat next year.

On a related note, I have tickets for Japan vs Samoa at the RWC. It'll be the first match for Mrs Wiggum and the kids too. Should be fun!

BartenBotflyVB
Frustrated Realist
Frustrated Realist
Location: (i'm not barten, or Valve Bouncer, I'm just that botfly c**t)

Unread post by BartenBotflyVB » Thu Nov 27, 2014 11:17 am

BartenBotflyVB
Frustrated Realist
Frustrated Realist

Unread post by BartenBotflyVB » Sat Feb 28, 2015 8:32 pm

RalphWiggum
LJ Oracle
LJ Oracle

Unread post by RalphWiggum » Sun Mar 22, 2015 10:06 am

That cunt Steve Walsh has suddenly and mysteriously retired from refereeing "to pursue other business interests" mid-six nations and only six months before a world cup. Given that he loves to be the centre of attention and he's a notorious drunk I reckon there's more to this than meets the eye. What's the scoop?
Shit wank bollocks

jaydee333

Unread post by jaydee333 » Sun Apr 05, 2015 7:44 am

i'd love to know...

AsahiSupaSpy
Eikaiwa Hero
Eikaiwa Hero

Unread post by AsahiSupaSpy » Thu Apr 30, 2015 3:49 pm

Is J-sports the best way to watch the Rugby World Cup? I have never used them before. Will they cover ALL the games? Will they have commentary in English? Do I also have to get a bunch of other channels I don't want?

Missed the final Sevens event in Tokyo this year as my mother who had been visiting flew out on finals day. On the bright side, it means I have an excuse to visit Singapore and Hong Kong next year without the Mrs. Unless she wants to come with for the shopping or food or whatever. Either way, the biggest event at Hong Kong and the newest event at Singapore. Good times.

Anybody else here into sevens? Being pretty small and pretty slow, I played sevens rather than fifteens.
Do NOT arrest this man.

RalphWiggum
LJ Oracle
LJ Oracle

Unread post by RalphWiggum » Fri May 01, 2015 5:29 am

I'm sure you'll be able to find pirate streams of al the games in very high quality if you don't fancy paying. Alternatively, pay for a UK VPN and you should be able to watch them via the ITV website as they have the UK rights. I've got tickets for 3 of the games - a couple of the minor nations, but also Samoa v Japan which I reckon will be a good one. "Good" being used more in terms of spirit rather than ability, obvs!
Shit wank bollocks

AsahiSupaSpy
Eikaiwa Hero
Eikaiwa Hero

Unread post by AsahiSupaSpy » Fri May 01, 2015 3:33 pm

RalphWiggum wrote:I'm sure you'll be able to find pirate streams of al the games in very high quality if you don't fancy paying. Alternatively, pay for a UK VPN and you should be able to watch them via the ITV website as they have the UK rights. I've got tickets for 3 of the games - a couple of the minor nations, but also Samoa v Japan which I reckon will be a good one. "Good" being used more in terms of spirit rather than ability, obvs!
Thanks, I didn't think of using a VPN. Great idea.

I use pirate streams now, but I am not averse to paying. I just want the best bang for my buck.
Samoa and Japan should be a good game. Samoa has won more, but Japan has improved a lot under Jones, and Samoan rugby has been hurt by its management I think.
What other games are you going to? I find in World Cups that games between the lower teams are often much more exciting because they play to win, rather than play to not lose.
Do NOT arrest this man.

RalphWiggum
LJ Oracle
LJ Oracle

Unread post by RalphWiggum » Fri May 01, 2015 6:36 pm

Canada v Romania and Argentina v Namibia. They're both a 10 minute drive from my house and the tickets were cheap so I'd have been mad not to go. I think the Canada game will at least be a contest, and I seem to recall both sides liking a punch-up which would be nice. The Argies will wreck Namibia for sure, but the atmosphere should be great if nothing else. Can't wait for the Japan game though, especially since Mrs Wiggum gets super excited whenever Japan are competing in any sport, and the kids will be experiencing a live match for the first time. It's a race home afterwards to get back in time for the England v Aus match too!
Shit wank bollocks

MacGyver
Shockproof shit detector
Shockproof shit detector

Unread post by MacGyver » Fri May 01, 2015 7:09 pm

AsahiSupaSpy wrote:Is J-sports the best way to watch the Rugby World Cup? I have never used them before. Will they cover ALL the games? Will they have commentary in English? Do I also have to get a bunch of other channels I don't want?
A friend of mine had skyperfect and for the last WC subscribed to J sports. I had cable at the time and I think they showed the games on J-sports cable too. Not into rugby so didn't really watch; just remember a kiwi mate wanted to watch a game so he came over and I made buffalo wings. We were both happy. :wink: And yes I believe there was English commentary. If you don't have either cable or skyperfect, then you'd have to subscribe. Both have a basic package and you essentially buy channels in addition to the basic package. If I remember correctly, the movie channels and J-sports are the most expensive add-ons.

I watch cricket through pay sites on the net and they are all of a very high quality so I'm sure there must be something about. Better than fussing around with VPN although is isn't a terrible idea if you can't get anything else. Sorry, I know I haven't been very helpful but as I say I don't watch the ruggers so don't know any sites to recommend.
"Yous guys talk a lotta shit. I'm much more smarter than all a yous." - Samurai Jerk after being owned by the Let's Japan crew.

RalphWiggum
LJ Oracle
LJ Oracle

Unread post by RalphWiggum » Thu Nov 19, 2015 2:32 am

Jonah Lomu, dead at 40. Very sad indeed. I can't think of another player who changed a team sport so fundamentally...
Shit wank bollocks

RalphWiggum
LJ Oracle
LJ Oracle

Unread post by RalphWiggum » Thu Nov 26, 2015 6:35 pm

I'm going to hazard a guess that you're a spambot, but I hope to be proved wrong.
Shit wank bollocks

RalphWiggum
LJ Oracle
LJ Oracle

Unread post by RalphWiggum » Sat Nov 28, 2015 2:26 am

...and the spam link appears in the signature line. Must try harder.
Shit wank bollocks

AsahiSupaSpy
Eikaiwa Hero
Eikaiwa Hero

Unread post by AsahiSupaSpy » Fri Dec 04, 2015 3:06 pm

If you're in Japan, you can stream the Sevens free at

www.worldrugby.org/sevens-series/where-can-i-watch
Do NOT arrest this man.

BergKatse
Hopeless Drone
Hopeless Drone

Unread post by BergKatse » Sun Nov 06, 2016 10:33 am

Three years ago I wrote:
BergKatse wrote:Ireland... Ireland!... ARRRRRGH!

Oh man, so close!
Not this time! Great stuff! Ireland were easily the better team on the paddock today.

RalphWiggum
LJ Oracle
LJ Oracle

Unread post by RalphWiggum » Mon Nov 07, 2016 7:34 am

BergKatse wrote:Three years ago I wrote:
BergKatse wrote:Ireland... Ireland!... ARRRRRGH!

Oh man, so close!
Not this time! Great stuff! Ireland were easily the better team on the paddock today.
Great game. Thought they were going to blow it with ten minutes to go though. The return game in Ireland in a couple of weeks should be a cracker.
Shit wank bollocks

BartenBotflyVB
Frustrated Realist
Frustrated Realist

Unread post by BartenBotflyVB » Wed May 31, 2017 9:47 am

Official 2019 Rugby World Cup website already up:

http://japan2019rugbyworldcup.angelfire.com/

AsahiSupaSpy
Eikaiwa Hero
Eikaiwa Hero

Unread post by AsahiSupaSpy » Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:29 am

Thought on the Lions' series with New Zealand?
I'm going 2-1 to the All Blacks.
Do NOT arrest this man.

RalphWiggum
LJ Oracle
LJ Oracle

Unread post by RalphWiggum » Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:24 pm

Could go either way. Lions squad is strong this tour, and I think the ABs are more vulnerable than they've been in a few years. The weather could be a factor too - not forecast to be good this weekend which should favour the Lions pack. Can't wait for the tests!
Shit wank bollocks

BergKatse
Hopeless Drone
Hopeless Drone

Unread post by BergKatse » Sat Jun 24, 2017 11:11 pm

What a try! Silky running by Liam Williams. Highlight of a scintillating tussle. Can't wait for next week.

BartenBotflyVB
Frustrated Realist
Frustrated Realist

Unread post by BartenBotflyVB » Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:11 am

Try was all-time.

Funny how the test panned out, Lions with the scything counter attacks, NZ with the forward grunt, carving them up the middle and especially persisting with blindside forays that took the Lions rush D/much vaunted line speed out of the picture. If the Lions can't stop the AB pack, tests 2 & 3 could get medieval

RalphWiggum
LJ Oracle
LJ Oracle

Unread post by RalphWiggum » Sun Jun 25, 2017 6:30 pm

Cracking game, as Botfly said it was a strange reversal of roles with the Lions running the ball well but the forwards not firing at all. Unless they can reduce the penalty count, get the set pieces right and stop aimlessly kicking the ball away they'll lose the next two.
Shit wank bollocks

allblacks
Drop Kick Artist
Drop Kick Artist

Unread post by allblacks » Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:45 am

The first half was very interesting. Then in the second the Lions had a chance until the 15th minute. After that it was never really in doubt.
Donald Trump "You know what Uranium does? Lots of things, nuclear and like lots of things."

BergKatse
Hopeless Drone
Hopeless Drone

Unread post by BergKatse » Sat Jul 01, 2017 9:38 pm

This Lions series just keeps getting better. Fantastic set-up for next week's decider.
No doubt there will be endless debate on the impact of William Williams's red card on the result. Logic may say that the All Blacks would have won with 15 men, but instinct... well, didn't it just feel like the Lions' night from start to finish? I got the impression the Lions would have won even if Williams hadn't been sent off.

RalphWiggum
LJ Oracle
LJ Oracle

Unread post by RalphWiggum » Mon Jul 03, 2017 7:12 am

It was very even up to the point that SBW got sent off. That said the Lions did their level best to throw the game. You can't give away that many penalties and expect to win. Can't wait for Saturday though...
Shit wank bollocks

allblacks
Drop Kick Artist
Drop Kick Artist

Unread post by allblacks » Tue Jul 04, 2017 3:27 pm

A very good game. Dumb arse Williams deserves to be dropped and I hope he gets that as well.
Donald Trump "You know what Uranium does? Lots of things, nuclear and like lots of things."

RalphWiggum
LJ Oracle
LJ Oracle

Unread post by RalphWiggum » Tue Jul 04, 2017 4:33 pm

allblacks wrote:
Tue Jul 04, 2017 3:27 pm
A very good game. Dumb arse Williams deserves to be dropped and I hope he gets that as well.
He's banned for 4 weeks, no choice for the selectors to make.
Shit wank bollocks

AsahiSupaSpy
Eikaiwa Hero
Eikaiwa Hero

Unread post by AsahiSupaSpy » Tue Jul 04, 2017 6:16 pm

RalphWiggum said; "You can't give away that many penalties and expect to win."

You should have a player yellow carded if you give away 5 similar penalties in 5 minutes in your own 22. Garces gave a warning but he didn't follow through. I thought he performed well but did lack consistency.

Williams' red card was fully deserved. Vunipola also deserved a red card, as did O'Brien. NZ's hooker threw in a late shot that was missed. I'm not saying any of this changed the outcome of the match, the All Blacks looked bereft of ideas and let the Lions limit their usual game.

This Saturday should be a cracker, I just hope the shine won't be taken off by more cards, on either side.
Do NOT arrest this man.

RalphWiggum
LJ Oracle
LJ Oracle

Unread post by RalphWiggum » Wed Jul 05, 2017 5:33 pm

I thought the refereeing was very even handed. SBW had to go - even before the law changes that was red all the way. MV's was definitely a yellow but no more than that, and I haven't seen the SOB incident.

Edited to add - Just watched the SOB incident. Definitely a yellow - mitigation being Naholo was slipping / falling at the time of contact.
Shit wank bollocks