newbie questions

A forum for discussing eikaiwa and teaching-related issues.
Forum rules
The basic forum rules are here :wink: . Refer to the BBCode Guide for information on using BBCode tags, plus this post about additional tags for embedding video.
sccjapan
Enthusiastic Newbie
Enthusiastic Newbie

Unread post by sccjapan » Tue Oct 25, 2005 2:22 pm

Last edited by sccjapan on Thu Nov 10, 2005 2:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

sos
Siren of Sensuality

Unread post by sos » Tue Oct 25, 2005 2:51 pm

Bigger cities have more facilities so they are more schools, as well as other things you can try (other than teaching).

Small cities, the rent is cheaper, but there are less opportunities. Few schools, etc.

If you want to try to get a job here..........it depends. Not many school seems to sponsor for Japan-hire who don't have experience. If you came over with NOVA or AEON and switched to another school, the other school doesn't have to sponsor the visa until yours expire. Doing the paperwork is a bitch so some schools try to hire people with only a valid visa (I work at such a school). Renewal aren't that much paperwork but.......

If you are both Canadian, try for the working holiday. You can work PT under the visa. Many schools are looking for part timers.

In terms of the accent of your boyfriend, I wouldn't worry too much about it. I had a friend who had a thick NZ accent and there were schools that would take him and schools that loved his accent. Everything is either a strike for or against you.....depending on how you look at it.

Good luck!!

nigerian_nampa
LJ Sharpshooter
LJ Sharpshooter

Unread post by nigerian_nampa » Wed Oct 26, 2005 2:20 am

sos wrote:In terms of the accent of your boyfriend, I wouldn't worry too much about it. I had a friend who had a thick NZ accent and there were schools that would take him and schools that loved his accent. Everything is either a strike for or against you.....depending on how you look at it.

But a Kiwi accent is still a native accent. If his first language is French, I don't think he could fool anybody for long.

There are some schools that do hire non-native speakers to teach English, but that's very hit and miss. Some schools (like Nova's multimedia center and some of their bigger downtown branches) do have teachers of French and some other languages (an Italian Nova teacher lives in my building, and my old neighbour was an Argentinian Nova teacher). I don't know how competitive the application process is for those positions, though.

About being an interracial couple, I don't think you'll have any problems. You may get a few double takes and hear some snickers and giggles, but the only mild hostility I've ever faced has been on nightclub dancefloors (when Japanese guys try to cockblock and "rescue" a girl from me...not knowing that she's with me). Sure, there's some racist thinking behind that, but Japanese people are passive and confrontation is normally mild and easy to finish. You'd have a MUCH worse time in Korea, where open hostility and Korean guys trying to start fights with foreigners "stealing" their women is much more common. And if you defend yourself and win the fight, you go to jail. There were even street protests in Seoul because some foreign guys were talking on an internet forum similar to this one about where to meet girls in Korea. What a bunch of :poo:.

Tall Tall Tree
Cassandra
Cassandra

Re: newbie questions

Unread post by Tall Tall Tree » Wed Oct 26, 2005 3:26 am

korineu wrote:I've tried applying to AEON and the JET program, but I've heard it's easier to just look for a job once you get to Japan... can anybody comment on that?

Unless you've got a bundle full of cash to burn through while you're jobless in Japan, I wouldn't recommend it. Getting confirmed for a gig before you make the expense of the move is much safer.

Yes, your hubby might have some trouble getting picked up for a gig if his accent is too thick, but as others have said some schools do teach French as well so that might be a possibility in bigger cities. As for you, an ethnic Chinese from Australia was in my training group at ECC, so companies (or, at least, ECC in my area) don't seem to have a racial bais in hiring. As long as you speak clearly, you actually probably have better odds getting a gig teaching English than he does. Can't tell you about social discrimination, though.

sccjapan
Enthusiastic Newbie
Enthusiastic Newbie

Unread post by sccjapan » Wed Oct 26, 2005 3:35 am

Last edited by sccjapan on Thu Nov 10, 2005 2:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

kunikun
Yummy Mummy
Yummy Mummy

Unread post by kunikun » Wed Oct 26, 2005 12:06 pm

Although I wouldnt touch it with a stick, GABA hires non-native speakers. Theres a much better company in Saitama called SAIEI that hires non-natives too - Swedes, Russians - they have to tell the students they're from Canada!

:rotfl:

Gorilla Jones
Enthusiastic Newbie
Enthusiastic Newbie
Location: Outside the convenience store, next to the vending machine

Unread post by Gorilla Jones » Wed Oct 26, 2005 1:28 pm

kunikun wrote:Although I wouldnt touch it with a stick, GABA hires non-native speakers. Theres a much better company in Saitama called SAIEI that hires non-natives too - Swedes, Russians - they have to tell the students they're from Canada!

I knew a Russian girl who did the same thing in China. She was also supposed to say she was from Canada. I guess Canada has become the default home for all unclasifiable accents...!

(Her English was about level 3 by NOVA standards.)

sos
Siren of Sensuality

Unread post by sos » Wed Oct 26, 2005 2:59 pm

the reason I wrote in about working holiday is there is a guy here from Holland, and he picks up many pt gigs. Because the schools don't have to sponsor him, his accent isn't so much of a problem.

will write more but must teach now!!

sos
Siren of Sensuality

Unread post by sos » Wed Oct 26, 2005 4:51 pm

sccjapan wrote:korineu, don't get me wrong...I wasn't trying to say your ethnicities will play a role in you getting hired (I only mention this because other posters keep bringing this up) but making a move ANYWHERE is tough for one person...and while having someone along is great, what happens if it doesn't work, you know? Worst case scenario: You both move to Japan and then you split up. He's right around a ton of girls that are definitely HIS type (based off your racial background) and you are stuck in Japan until the end of your contract OR you have $ on hand to book it back to the US or Canada. Are you the one who wants to go or is he? What if one person wants to leave and the other doesn't? You have a lot of questions taht need to be addressed before you should really make that move.

The race thing isn't a big deal nowadays in my opinion...BUT moving across the world with a girlfriend/boyfriend is not a decision that shouldn't be made just because it might be "fun"...

I'm sure you'll figure it all out, but's that my two cents :)

I know couples that came here together.
Some stayed together and got married after their "Japan adventure" and others broke up.
I don't know if it is better or worse to come here as a couple but........it is lonely coming to a foreign country when you don't know anyone. Having a friend with you does make it better.

If you and your loved one do end up breaking up while here....I think it would have happened sooner or later. Japan doesn't make people break up, only individuals have the power of doing so.

sos
Siren of Sensuality

Unread post by sos » Wed Oct 26, 2005 4:55 pm

Albright wrote:
korineu wrote:I've tried applying to AEON and the JET program, but I've heard it's easier to just look for a job once you get to Japan... can anybody comment on that?

Unless you've got a bundle full of cash to burn through while you're jobless in Japan, I wouldn't recommend it. Getting confirmed for a gig before you make the expense of the move is much safer.

Though it is easy to pick up work when you are here, the days of eikaiwa hiring anyone is over. If possible, line up interviews before you come here. Depending on the season, I see 3 or 4 applicants air dropping resumes through the city, but there are no openings.

Research and check out places or you may end up at schools that will literally screw you over (they know how desperate you are if you are applying there).

Depending on where you want to go, there may be many or no jobs available there. Especially if you are looking at the countryside.....there are few schools there, mostly at the major chains, only 1 or 2 foreign teachers (usually hired from overseas).

sccjapan
Enthusiastic Newbie
Enthusiastic Newbie

Unread post by sccjapan » Thu Oct 27, 2005 12:17 am

Last edited by sccjapan on Thu Nov 10, 2005 2:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

amerikajin274
9 miles of bad road
9 miles of bad road

Unread post by amerikajin274 » Thu Oct 27, 2005 2:05 am

I advise against looking for work here unless you've got the financial resources to hang for a while. And that being the case, you have to ask if it's really worth it if you're gonna blow so much cash in the first place.

Though it is easy to pick up work when you are here, the days of eikaiwa hiring anyone is over.

Sad, but true.

However, I think it's all about the networking. Most of us who've been here a while already know quite a few people elsewhere. I would rather not have to go through the stress of looking for a new job unless I'm ready to do it, but if for some reason I got tossed tomorrow, I have a network to fall back on. I feel reasonably confident I'd get a job within a week or two. The tough part now is that first job, but once you've got it, you can build a network, and you're pretty much set. People come and go all the time, it's just a matter of knowing the jobs are available before they get posted in the local rag, at which point 10-20 people are competing for 1 or 2 jobs - and because you're fresh off the boat, and without a visa, that in all likelihood means you'll be last on their list. That's why I definitely do NOT recommend flying over here to find a job unless a person either a) has connections, or b) has enough money to last 4-8 weeks, and maybe longer when you consider that the first paycheck may not kick in for a full month after that.

If possible, line up interviews before you come here. Depending on the season, I see 3 or 4 applicants air dropping resumes through the city, but there are no openings.

Exactly.

Also, about your boyfriend, as NN said, I think it could unfortunately be a problem. He's not a native English speaker, so that cuts the field down a bit. And further still, most French students want their teachers to come from France, not Quebec. You might luck out and find some places that offer some flexibility.

If you give it some time, it can work, but you've got a few extra hoops to jump through.
Don't misunderestimate me.

____NIKU_________________

Unread post by ____NIKU_________________ » Thu Oct 27, 2005 10:12 am

Ah, yes. The greatest thing about working for Geos was the 2 weeks in Vancouver while I was waiting for my visa to come through. Heaven. It was more than worth the whole year of teaching English.

sos
Siren of Sensuality

Unread post by sos » Thu Oct 27, 2005 3:21 pm

trust me get the working holiday visa.
It is easier finding PT work.
With many schools now having to pay Shakai Hoken and all
the major schools don't want to increase their FT staff.

Plus with working holiday, you aren't just limited to teaching.
You can try other jobs as well and you don't have to worry about
a school sponsoring, tying you down.

Another site to look into is Gaijin Pot. There are jobs listings
and such so you can see what types of jobs, the pay etc are.

Good luck!!

JojoBizarro
Fresh & Minty
Fresh & Minty

Re:

Unread post by JojoBizarro » Tue May 17, 2016 8:07 am

kunikun wrote:Although I wouldnt touch it with a stick, GABA hires non-native speakers. Theres a much better company in Saitama called SAIEI that hires non-natives too - Swedes, Russians - they have to tell the students they're from Canada!

Not that much better, unfortunately. They’re firing me in violation of the Labor Contract Law, and they’ve been power-harassing me in retaliation for taking my case to the LSO.
When you teach for Nova, you’re automatically to blame for everything. When the Sun swells into a red giant in five billion years, they’ll blame you for that too.

allblacks

Unread post by allblacks » Tue May 17, 2016 11:42 pm

This thread is over ten years old. Start a new one if you need to discuss that. Thank you.

RalphWiggum
LJ Oracle
LJ Oracle

Unread post by RalphWiggum » Wed May 18, 2016 6:07 am

Necrobumping a ten year old thread IS pretty odd. Especially one where the original comment was deleted! I wonder what prompted it?
Shit wank bollocks

BergKatse
Hopeless Drone
Hopeless Drone

Unread post by BergKatse » Wed May 18, 2016 1:17 pm

RalphWiggum wrote:Necrobumping
Hahaha! That's my new word for the day!