Ed Fackler: NOVA Tennoji Honko AAM

A forum for discussing eikaiwa and teaching-related issues.
Forum rules
The basic forum rules are here :wink: . Refer to the BBCode Guide for information on using BBCode tags, plus this post about additional tags for embedding video.
In The Know
Cassandra
Cassandra

Ed Fackler: NOVA Tennoji Honko AAM

Unread post by In The Know » Fri Jun 10, 2016 3:35 am

If you ever taught in the Osaka area for NOVA in the 90's early 2000's you probably know the name Ed Fackler, a rather rotund fellow in his day. He got serious about weight loss and dropped about half his weight since leaving Japan for Illinois. Good for him. Losing weight is never easy, but for the truly obese (as he once was) it must be a true battle. I often wonder what happened to people from eikaiwa I knew. Life goes on, wherever you are and wherever you're from. Hollywood needs to put out a comedy (raunchy) about ESL with NOVA in Japan during the 80s, 90s hay day! Call it "Lost In Inebriation" or something. :chug: :cheers: :ack:

http://www.rodalewellness.com/weight-lo ... ed-fackler

senseiman
9 miles of bad road
9 miles of bad road

Re: Ed Fackler: NOVA Tennoji Honko AAM

Unread post by senseiman » Fri Jun 10, 2016 1:36 pm

Never met him or anything, but as an Eikaiwa teacher in the Kansai region in the early 2000s I do remember the name. Actually most likely I recognize it from discussions on here, was he a particularly unpopular (or popular) NOVA boss?

Either way, good for him on getting healthy.
祇園精舎の鐘の聲、諸行無常の響あり。娑羅雙樹の花の色、盛者必衰のことわりをあらはす。おごれる人も久しからず、唯春の夜の夢のごとし。たけき者も遂にほろびぬ、偏に風の前の塵に同じ。

In The Know
Cassandra
Cassandra

Unread post by In The Know » Fri Jun 10, 2016 9:58 pm

senseiman wrote:Never met him or anything, but as an Eikaiwa teacher in the Kansai region in the early 2000s I do remember the name. Actually most likely I recognize it from discussions on here, was he a particularly unpopular (or popular) NOVA boss?

Either way, good for him on getting healthy.
I was just a grunt in the trenches-- and wanting to keep it that way at NOVA-- so I only had a few brief encounters with Ed (Edo, as he was known). He held court at the NOVA Honko across from JR Tennouji. He was OK and seemed decent enough. I don't know what they paid him, but he generally worked 12-15 hour days I heard and usually 7 days a week. They really piled the shit on AAMs (Assistant Area Manager). I think every day was a succession of putting out brush fires and "containment" within the ranks. There was always something pressing to do except for taking time off. No, thanks. I did quite a bit of OT on my days off because they paid 1.5 the regular rate.

Yes, he was huge, but I see he did what a lot of people can't: lose a lot of weight. I could stand to lose 30 pounds but it's a struggle! :(

inflames
9 miles of bad road
9 miles of bad road

Unread post by inflames » Tue Jun 14, 2016 10:43 pm

Great for him. I lost 40 pounds in 9 months and it isn't easy to lose weight and keep it off (I lost it 10 years ago but a few pounds always come back, then I lose them, then they come back).

In The Know
Cassandra
Cassandra

Weight loss

Unread post by In The Know » Wed Jun 15, 2016 6:03 am

inflames wrote:Great for him. I lost 40 pounds in 9 months and it isn't easy to lose weight and keep it off (I lost it 10 years ago but a few pounds always come back, then I lose them, then they come back).
When I lived in Japan I didn't own a car, walked/biked everywhere, and ate healthier food and smaller portions of it. I quickly lost weight without even trying. Conversely, every time I moved back to America I immediately bought a car (a must have outside major cities), and got back on the fat ass, high calorie American diet. A 30-40 pound weight gain in three months is possible! :oops:

senseiman
9 miles of bad road
9 miles of bad road

Re: Weight loss

Unread post by senseiman » Wed Jun 15, 2016 12:38 pm

In The Know wrote:
inflames wrote:Great for him. I lost 40 pounds in 9 months and it isn't easy to lose weight and keep it off (I lost it 10 years ago but a few pounds always come back, then I lose them, then they come back).
When I lived in Japan I didn't own a car, walked/biked everywhere, and ate healthier food and smaller portions of it. I quickly lost weight without even trying. Conversely, every time I moved back to America I immediately bought a car (a must have outside major cities), and got back on the fat ass, high calorie American diet. A 30-40 pound weight gain in three months is possible! :oops:
Yeah, this is my experience too. I`m pretty much the only member of my family (my parents and sibling) who isn`t overweight and I attribute a lot of that to having spent most of my adult life living in Japan. In 13 years living here I`ve never owned a car and I definitely eat way better than I would if I lived in Canada. Its really noticeable when I`m at large family gatherings my wife, son and I are usually the only thin people in the room.

I`ve now lived here long enough that I`m actually shocked when I go back and see the lifestyle people have back home - eating huge amounts of red meat, downing giant bottles of soda like it was water, massive snack sizes, driving even short distances, spending hours sitting on comfy couches watching TV and stuffing junk food into your mouth etc etc. After about a week of that I feel physically ill and it usually takes me about a similar amount of time on returning to Japan to get back to normal.
祇園精舎の鐘の聲、諸行無常の響あり。娑羅雙樹の花の色、盛者必衰のことわりをあらはす。おごれる人も久しからず、唯春の夜の夢のごとし。たけき者も遂にほろびぬ、偏に風の前の塵に同じ。

In The Know
Cassandra
Cassandra

Unread post by In The Know » Wed Jun 15, 2016 10:15 pm

senseiman wrote:I`ve now lived here long enough that I`m actually shocked when I go back and see the lifestyle people have back home - eating huge amounts of red meat, downing giant bottles of soda like it was water, massive snack sizes, driving even short distances, spending hours sitting on comfy couches watching TV and stuffing junk food into your mouth etc etc.
That's it in a nutshell. Not only is there an obesity epidemic in America (over 40% considered obese), there is a CHILD obesity epidemic. When I was a young'n in school there was one fat kid who got picked on. Now no kid does because about 50% of the kids are overweight... it's the "new norm." It's sad that kids begin an unhealthy attitude toward food and exercise before they can wipe their own ass.

(I didn't mean to hijack this eikaiwa thread and turn it into a weight thread! :lol: You'd have to be working at it to gain weight in Japan, which I doubt few gaijin do after arriving.)

sirwanksalot
Masturbateur
Masturbateur

Unread post by sirwanksalot » Fri Jun 17, 2016 1:02 am

In The Know wrote: (I didn't mean to hijack this eikaiwa thread and turn it into a weight thread! :lol: You'd have to be working at it to gain weight in Japan, which I doubt few gaijin do after arriving.)
I'm at the opposite end. I always gain in Japan and lose back home. The food is better here plus better snacking options and plenty of convenience stores. . That being said I've lost about 30 pounds over the last year or so due to giving up on snacking and stopping at the convenience store whenever i felt the slightest rumble in my belly. I still cant get back to autofelating myself though.

MacGyver
Shockproof shit detector
Shockproof shit detector

Unread post by MacGyver » Wed Jun 22, 2016 8:57 am

sirwanksalot wrote:I'm at the opposite end. I always gain in Japan and lose back home. The food is better here plus better snacking options and plenty of convenience stores.
Me too but that's not the reason why. There's nothing to do here except eat and drink. You can't play a sport after work here like in Oz, whether it be a pick-up game or organized competition. I'd never seen the inside of a gym in Oz yet was skinny as. Came here and put on weight no matter how I try not to. Go home and without trying lose weight. Oh, and all the carbs they eat here doesn't help either. When I first came in '89 for a year as an exchange student, that was the first time in my life I'd ever put on weight. Seeing as I didn't drink and was as active as possible (clubs after school and so on) I put it down to all the carbs I ate. Just never eat so many carbs in Oz. And I've never really been a big soft drink drinker. The older I've gotten the less I drink, to the point now where I tell ppl if there ain't no booze in it, I don't drink it....
"Yous guys talk a lotta shit. I'm much more smarter than all a yous." - Samurai Jerk after being owned by the Let's Japan crew.

T.D.
Eikaiwa Hero
Eikaiwa Hero

Unread post by T.D. » Fri Jun 24, 2016 12:07 am

I think I was quite possibly in the best shape of my life in Japan. I had a car and a scooter but still did a ton of walking and bike riding everywhere. The food was the best I've ever had, but I ate smaller portions, even the snacks I ate less. In the states here I struggle to keep the damn weight off despite still eating quite well and not snaking really at all. Of course, cutting back on the good IPA's has helped quite a bit on the weight. Been lifting weight the past 6 months too now and finally getting into decent shape once again. Still could lose 10 lbs though.

allblacks

Unread post by allblacks » Fri Jun 24, 2016 4:02 pm

I met Edo a few times but spoke to him on the phone more than in person. (I worked for old nova from about Feb 2006 to March the following year.)

There used to be 10 to 15 pages of overtime going every week and I took as much as I could. A couple of times Edo would call and say I couldn't have any more. Then, maybe an hour later I'd get another call from him saying please go to xyz branch. Lol.

Edo and Chari (from the UK but adamantly Aussie) wanted me to be an AT but naaaah! Not for me.

Edo left just before I did. Last I heard he was back in the States.

In The Know
Cassandra
Cassandra

old NOVA overtime

Unread post by In The Know » Fri Jun 24, 2016 9:36 pm

allblacks wrote:There used to be 10 to 15 pages of overtime going every week and I took as much as I could. A couple of times Edo would call and say I couldn't have any more. Then, maybe an hour later I'd get another call from him saying please go to xyz branch.

Edo and Chari (from the UK but adamantly Aussie) wanted me to be an AT but naaaah! Not for me.
Each week I took one of my days off but usually worked my other day off as OT because it paid 1.5 times the lesson rate. You show up, you do "free con" for eight lessons, and then leave with 2-man for your effort. :lol: Beer money for a week. :cheers:

If I remember correctly, ATs only got an extra 1-man en each month for the drama (mostly from clueless, shitbird "teachers") and lots of extra paperwork. Like you, I said no to that. In my mind that "promotion" should have warranted 5-man.

RalphWiggum
LJ Oracle
LJ Oracle

Unread post by RalphWiggum » Sat Jun 25, 2016 2:18 am

Yeah, the promotion wasn't worth the money but it looked good on the CV when you got back home. That was why I took it, anyway.
Shit wank bollocks

T.D.
Eikaiwa Hero
Eikaiwa Hero

Unread post by T.D. » Fri Jul 01, 2016 4:37 am

I heard the same thing about being an AT and not making much more. Not worth the effort, but yeah, I suppose it helps the CV a bit in the end.