Harassers exploit Gaba’s ‘man-to-man’ lesson format

A forum for discussing eikaiwa and teaching-related issues.
Forum rules
The basic forum rules are here :wink: . Refer to the BBCode Guide for information on using BBCode tags, plus this post about additional tags for embedding video.
MonkeyMagic
Hopeless Drone
Hopeless Drone

Harassers exploit Gaba’s ‘man-to-man’ lesson format

Unread post by MonkeyMagic » Tue Jun 17, 2014 7:52 pm

The first sign that Olivia’s Gaba lesson would be anything but ordinary came when her student insisted during the warmup that he didn’t like wearing clothes.
http://www.japantimes.co.jp/community/2 ... 6ANKZIazCT
"In the worlds before Monkey, primal chaos reigned."

bmore
Enthusiastic Newbie
Enthusiastic Newbie

Re: Harassers exploit Gaba’s ‘man-to-man’ lesson format

Unread post by bmore » Wed Jun 18, 2014 1:51 pm

I honestly have no idea why anyone would work at GABA. I mean, big eikaiwa, whether it's Nova or Aeon, is bad, but GABA has to be the worst. 1,500 yen per class? To earn 240000 a month you have to teach roughly 40 classes a week? No transportation costs? And on top of that you have to deal with sexual harassment? I hate to blame the victims in this case, but Jesus, work somewhere else. What an awful company.

MonkeyMagic
Hopeless Drone
Hopeless Drone

Unread post by MonkeyMagic » Wed Jun 18, 2014 4:17 pm

Everything that you mentioned bmore certainly doesn't endear me to the 'company'.

senseiman
9 miles of bad road
9 miles of bad road

Unread post by senseiman » Thu Jun 19, 2014 9:44 pm

That sounds pretty awful, everyone working for Gaba has my sympathy. Its a disgrace that the company would let this sort of thing go on like that.

I am sure that everyone working at GABA knows how awful it is and wishes they could work elsewhere, but my impression is that the Eikaiwa market isn`t exactly booming these days so its not suprising that people get stuck with that kind of job.
祇園精舎の鐘の聲、諸行無常の響あり。娑羅雙樹の花の色、盛者必衰のことわりをあらはす。おごれる人も久しからず、唯春の夜の夢のごとし。たけき者も遂にほろびぬ、偏に風の前の塵に同じ。

bmore
Enthusiastic Newbie
Enthusiastic Newbie

Unread post by bmore » Fri Jun 20, 2014 11:05 am

The eikaiwa market may not be "booming", but there are plenty of opportunities out there, all of them, I suspect, better than Gaba.

[quoteKspace (ケイスペース)
求人ID
勤務地
東京都
掲載日
2014年6月17日
業種
教育 / 講師
職種
子供教育、幼稚園、保育園教諭
雇用形態
正社員 / 中途・役職なし
給料
月給 40万円
相談可
応募条件
英語: 母国語レベル
ビザのスポンサーが可能
説明
Kspace is currently searching for teachers to join our expanding team of educators. Qualified and experienced teachers preferred. Must be able to handle large and small groups of children and be sensitive to the evolving needs of young learners as well as the dedication and respect required to help foster an international school community.

Enthusiasm for children, dedication to education, a respectable and courteous manner, as well as an open personality for sharing and learning natural talents are all quality traits that Kspace is looking for.

We are a thriving International School located in the heart of Shirokanedai. Our team is assembled of some of the brightest and most dedicated teachers in Tokyo and we are looking for a great team player who also can independently allow their natural teaching talents to shine through on a daily basis.

Please direct all resume to principal@kspacetokyo.org
][/quote]
Don't know if this a good place or a bad place, but the salary alone is much better than GABA.
Part-time English Instructor at culture center in Shinagawa area
会社
Berkeley House Language Center (バークレーハウス語学センター)
求人ID
勤務地
東京都 several
掲載日
2014年6月13日
業種
教育 / 講師
職種
英語講師、英会話インストラクター
雇用形態
パート・アルバイト / 中途・役職なし
給料
時給 3,000円
応募条件
英語: 母国語レベル
現在日本在住の方に限ります
説明
Berkeley House Language Center is hiring a Part-time English instructor for a culture center course in Nishi-ooi.

Starting date: July 10th, 2014
Schedule: 19:00-20:30 on Thursday (or Tuesday)
Class type: Group; Conversational practice
Transportation expenses: reimbursed

Requirements:
- More than 3 years' teaching experiece
- Reliable/Outgoing character
- TEFL/TESOL/CELTA

Misc:
- There are four terms in one year; April to June, July to Sept, Oct to Dec, and Jan to March. Each term has 10 sessions. The next term starts on July 10th.
- Teachers are required to continue for one year at least.

Note:
Only successful candidates will be contacted.
Short demonstration lesson will be asked to do in the interview.
Only a part time position, but the hourly wage is twice what GABA pays.

https://jobs.gaijinpot.com/job/index/la ... C%E7%B4%A2

Just have a look at this link. I think just about every job pays more than GABA, and I suspect most of these places will have the decency to shell out transportation costs. I'm sorry, but I stand by my original comment: I can't understand why anyone would work for GABA.

In The Know
Cassandra
Cassandra

Unread post by In The Know » Sat Jun 21, 2014 12:00 am

bmore wrote: 月給 40万円
You'd need to pay me 40-man/month to babysit the brats (most who don't want to be in "English class" in their free time) while mom shops or plays pachinko. Yes, I'm that jaded.
Only a part time position, but the hourly wage is twice what GABA pays.

https://jobs.gaijinpot.com/job/index/la ... C%E7%B4%A2

I'm sorry, but I stand by my original comment: I can't understand why anyone would work for GABA.
I don't think that anyone *wants* to but if you need to pay rent and eat and this is the best who will hire you... you take it. Agreed, GABA is a sweatshop with zero upside.

angryboy
Busdriver
Busdriver

Unread post by angryboy » Sat Jun 21, 2014 10:32 am

senseiman wrote: I am sure that everyone working at GABA knows how awful it is and wishes they could work elsewhere, but my impression is that the Eikaiwa market isn`t exactly booming these days so its not suprising that people get stuck with that kind of job.
I can`t see it that way.I think they are idiots for staying there.Ok, so they want to stay in Japan and I get that but
what is worse , packing it in and going home for a while (no one says you can`t come back via other avenues) or
staying in such a demeaning stressful environment?
[quote="valve-bouncer"]Fuck me, I hope to christ you are a troll because the possibility of someone so mind-numbingly boring as you walking amongst us gives me the fear.[/quote]

inflames
9 miles of bad road
9 miles of bad road

Unread post by inflames » Sat Jun 21, 2014 5:38 pm

This is an article in the JT, which hardly qualifies as professional journalism.

I don't doubt that there are some instances of sexual harassment (as there are in any company - just ask any woman and she'll tell you stories), but this article makes it sound as though Gaba is blatantly ignoring the problem.

FWIW people who have been at Gaba a while can get a ton of money.

MonkeyMagic
Hopeless Drone
Hopeless Drone

Unread post by MonkeyMagic » Sun Jun 22, 2014 12:41 am

inflames wrote:This is an article in the JT, which hardly qualifies as professional journalism.
It wasn't written by a journalist per se, but by this man:
James McCrostie is a full-time university lecturer and part-time writer. He writes mainly about labor issues related to the English-teaching industry.

bmore
Enthusiastic Newbie
Enthusiastic Newbie

Unread post by bmore » Mon Jun 23, 2014 2:15 pm

I will say one good thing I have heard about GABA is that they hire Aussies and other working holiday folks, some of whom haven't graduated from uni. Do other eikaiwa schools do that?

I suppose if you are a good teacher and have been there for a while, you can make some decent money, but that place just seems tough, even by eikaiwa standards. The teachers are shokutaku, so they have no job security, they get no transportation costs, they have to dress extremely conservatively (only black suits, from what I've heard), and one or two negative reviews can lead to a salary cut or even a non-renewal of their contracts. Good teachers should just steal as many students as they can and charge 4,000 or 5,000 yen an hour to do private lessons, which is a huge pay bump for them and a discount for the students, who I guarantee are paying more per hour to GABA. When I left eikaiwa three years ago, I poached a handful of students and I still do private lessons on the side. It's not bad money for me, it's cheaper for the students, and, because we're doing it in a rather informal manner, they don't have to worry about cancellation fees, signup fees, or the furikae system, all of which are some of the worst aspects of big eikaiwa. I'm not a communist, but the idea of GABA charging 8,000 yen per hour (I don't know how much it is, but I suspect it's in this neighborhood-feel free to correct me if I'm wrong) and the teacher only getting 1,500 yen or even 2,500 yen sounds like naked exploitation to me.

inflames
9 miles of bad road
9 miles of bad road

Unread post by inflames » Tue Jun 24, 2014 1:27 am

When I was at Gaba, we had a few (3 or so, IIRC) who would always be filled with students - one of them hadn't, for some reason I still don't understand, belted up (one of the others was D1 or whatever the highest was and the third was in the middle). I know the one with the highest belt is still there and makes a ton (40 lessons a week at whatever the rate is now). They used to have lesson incentives as well - you got a bonus for the number of lessons you taught (so if you taught something like more than 160 lessons in a month, you'd get an extra 50k or so).

In The Know
Cassandra
Cassandra

Unread post by In The Know » Wed Jun 25, 2014 10:02 pm

Lamarr wrote:... to reach those top salaries, you'd have to slug it out and stick at it for a while.
Having taught there for a year (it was OK at best), to rise through the ranks that pay you more per lesson you have to sit through days of GABA training classes and then take a written test. All this training is at zero pay. You do it on your own time, completely unpaid. These days of training are staggered throughout several sessions. GABA's business model: Mandatory training to advance through the ranks but we don't give you a single yen to do it. WTF?!

bmore
Enthusiastic Newbie
Enthusiastic Newbie

Unread post by bmore » Thu Jun 26, 2014 1:07 am

I'm just curious-and maybe we should start a separate thread for this?-
for those of you who worked at big eikaiwa, where did you do time?
I did a year and a half at Aeon, before moving onto small-scale eikaiwa,
and now my current job (not eikaiwa, thank God).

inflames
9 miles of bad road
9 miles of bad road

Unread post by inflames » Fri Jun 27, 2014 1:39 am

In The Know wrote:
Lamarr wrote:... to reach those top salaries, you'd have to slug it out and stick at it for a while.
Having taught there for a year (it was OK at best), to rise through the ranks that pay you more per lesson you have to sit through days of GABA training classes and then take a written test. All this training is at zero pay. You do it on your own time, completely unpaid. These days of training are staggered throughout several sessions. GABA's business model: Mandatory training to advance through the ranks but we don't give you a single yen to do it. WTF?!
To be fair, Gaba's extra training wasn't corporate brainwashing BS (the initial and mandatory follow-up were though).