Teaching Business English

A forum for discussing eikaiwa and teaching-related issues.
Forum rules
The basic forum rules are here :wink: . Refer to the BBCode Guide for information on using BBCode tags, plus this post about additional tags for embedding video.
Serena

Teaching Business English

Unread post by Serena » Mon Apr 07, 2014 1:31 pm

Hi Everyone,

I have a bit over two years of corporate experience in a financial/insurance setting in Canada after graduating with a business related degree, and I would like to take what will essentially be a gap year living in Japan. I also have an online TEFL certificate. I've been considering eikaiwa work as opposed to Jet/alt as I'd like to experience living in a city and preferably interact with adults over children. Considering I have corporate experience, I've been considering trying out for business english positions, however haven't been able to find much information about them.

My question is whether there are also large chain schools for business english specifically, as there are for regular eikaiwa such as ECC, GEOS, etc. Where can I find postings for these positions, and do they also hire from abroad? Any specific companies to target/avoid? Also, are the requirements for such positions stricter than regular eikaiwa? For those of you that have experience working at both types of teaching jobs, are there any major differences between the two and pros/cons that I should be wary of?

Also, I'm not sure whether it will make a difference, but I know that appearance/presentation is very important in Japan, and I am a female in my early 20s that is often mistaken for looking even younger. Even if I attempt to present myself professionally, will I be taken seriously, or is it a futile effort? Do business english jobs usually go to more mature looking men?

Thanks!