Westgate

A forum for discussing eikaiwa and teaching-related issues.
Forum rules
The basic forum rules are here :wink: . Refer to the BBCode Guide for information on using BBCode tags, plus this post about additional tags for embedding video.
curleysfries

Westgate

Unread post by curleysfries » Sat Mar 29, 2014 9:04 am

Anyone got any info on Westgate?

Anything would be helpful, thanks.

wilde_oscar
9 miles of bad road
9 miles of bad road

Re: Westgate

Unread post by wilde_oscar » Mon May 26, 2014 11:44 am

Didn't the guy who ran it die or something reccently?

Or was that Westboro?

Pretty sure it was Westsomething.
Never try to teach a pig to sing - it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

RalphWiggum
LJ Oracle
LJ Oracle

Unread post by RalphWiggum » Mon May 26, 2014 6:09 pm

A friend worked for them years ago. As I recall they're OK if you want a short term job but I don't think they offer contracts longer than 6 months. The working day was longer than most eikaiwas, but staff were teaching uni students only so no kids, if that's your thing. Using their accommodation was mandatory and it was a Leopalace or similar which was pretty grim. Still, not a bad deal.
Shit wank bollocks

Junken Master
Hopeless Drone
Hopeless Drone

Unread post by Junken Master » Tue May 27, 2014 7:44 pm

Pretty much second what Ralph has said.

Used to know a few guys working for Westgate. They seemed generally quite happy. Enjoyed teaching University aged students. (The majority of high school students in Japan tend to be burned out due to the pressures of studying, and not so motivated for English on the whole)

It suited them because they just wanted to come over for a term or two, get a taster of Japan before going back to their countries / continuing with their travelling etc.

Agree that apartments are definitely pretty small though. Boxes almost. Depends if you've come straight out of student accommodation then it might be OK. If you've owned anywhere or rented a half decent place privately then you'd be in for a shock.

Now I'm back permanently in the UK who knows - something like Westgate might be of use just to do a 3 month temporary stint one day. Get a little bit of cash in and spend some time with the nephews on my days off.