11 Years Since I left Eikaiwa - Holy Shit

A forum for discussing eikaiwa and teaching-related issues.
Forum rules
The basic forum rules are here :wink: . Refer to the BBCode Guide for information on using BBCode tags, plus this post about additional tags for embedding video.
Edogaijin
Eikaiwa Hero
Eikaiwa Hero

Re: 11 Years Since I left Eikaiwa - Holy Shit

Unread post by Edogaijin » Mon Oct 06, 2014 9:53 am

5 new students last week...new location seems to be a winner...all word of mouth.
A school I used to be in competition with...(same street) closed down last year and put all it's classes/lessons online.... picked up 2 of their students as well...

bmore
Enthusiastic Newbie
Enthusiastic Newbie

Unread post by bmore » Tue Oct 07, 2014 2:29 pm

Personally, I don’t think teaching English is such a bad racket, if you do it on your own terms. I got out of eikaiwa a few years ago, and on my way out, I poached about four students and started teaching them privately on the side. Through introductions from these students and from other people I’ve met, I’m doing eight lessons a week now on the side, and it brings in about 12 man or so a month, all tax free and under the table. Working at Nova or one of the big schools is a terrible racket. Making only 1,000 yen per hour is unbelievable. The people working at these schools, if they have confidence in their abilities, should steal the students as quickly as possible and teach them privately on the side, where they can charge 4,000 or even 5,000 yen an hour. I honestly don’t know what the benefit of working at one of these schools is.

angryboy
Busdriver
Busdriver

Unread post by angryboy » Tue Oct 07, 2014 11:49 pm

bmore wrote: I honestly don’t know what the benefit of working at one of these schools is.
There are none.I can`t even begin to try to understand why anyone with a visa would still be there.
A part time gig in an eikaiwa pays 2,000 at the lower end up to 3,500 (at least in my neck of the woods)
.A couple of these gigs and a few pvts and you are making a decent wage for not many hours.throw in a
few good to well paying gigs and you are making more for less work.
Declare a believable amount , not too much , to keep your taxes,health insurance etc. down and pocket the
rest.
I don`t look down on anyone in any job but only a moron would continue to allow themself to be reamed for
so many years.

AsahiSupaSpy
Eikaiwa Hero
Eikaiwa Hero

Unread post by AsahiSupaSpy » Thu Oct 09, 2014 11:36 am

angryboy wrote:I don`t look down on anyone in any job but only a moron would continue to allow themself to be reamed for
so many years.
So you you don't look down on anyone in any job, but people who have jobs with poorer conditions than yours are morons? Gotcha.

People stay in jobs for various reasons and what suits one person may not suit another. I understand what you are saying, I have a friend still at Neo-Nova who I really wish would leave and find somewhere different. However it is actually a good fit for him in his current situation and he does enjoy it for the most part. I don't think he can be called a moron for that.

angryboy
Busdriver
Busdriver

Unread post by angryboy » Thu Oct 09, 2014 12:33 pm

AsahiSupaSpy wrote:
angryboy wrote:I don`t look down on anyone in any job but only a moron would continue to allow themself to be reamed for
so many years.
Not quite what I meant. If a person chooses to be a career checkout operator more power to them.
If a person chooses eikaiwa the same. If a person is in a shitty job,getting used , abused and
arsefucked on a daily basis for shit money and they have the means to get out but they don`t
I don`t look down on them because of the job they do but I do think they are an idiot for
choosing to stay.

AsahiSupaSpy
Eikaiwa Hero
Eikaiwa Hero

Unread post by AsahiSupaSpy » Thu Oct 09, 2014 1:51 pm

Fair enough. I read your comment as 'anyone still working at Eikaiwa is a moron' which I thought was a little unfair.

angryboy
Busdriver
Busdriver

Unread post by angryboy » Thu Oct 09, 2014 2:43 pm

AsahiSupaSpy wrote:Fair enough. I read your comment as 'anyone still working at Eikaiwa is a moron' which I thought was a little unfair.
I'm still in eikaiwa,most of my closest friends are too and we ,some more or less than others,
are making a fist of it whether it be money wise, results or job satisfaction.
I once knew a guy in eikaiwa whose wife was often bedridden so for him to leave his shitty job
would have been a risk as he didn't have the luxury of a few months grace to build up pvts and
PT gigs . He had his reasons for staying and I respected him immensely for it.

bmore
Enthusiastic Newbie
Enthusiastic Newbie

Unread post by bmore » Fri Oct 10, 2014 6:04 pm

I’m the same. I don’t look down on anyone for staying in Eikaiwa. Everyone makes his own choices, to each his own, and all that, but what I can’t understand is staying at one of the big schools. I mean, if you’re fresh of the boat and have never lived in Japan, I can understand it, as the big schools set you up with an apartment and do everything you need to get a visa (at least they did when I was at big eikaiwa). But if you’ve lived in Japan and have done the eikaiwa thing for a while, it’s really easy (I think) to go independent, make more money, and have more free time. Do any of you guys still work at one of the big schools? What are your reasons for staying there?

Japandy
Eikaiwa Hero
Eikaiwa Hero

Unread post by Japandy » Tue Oct 14, 2014 6:10 am

Hope the industry picks up soon but not sure it will if ever.

scanman
Enthusiastic Newbie
Enthusiastic Newbie

Unread post by scanman » Thu Oct 16, 2014 1:23 pm

Japandy wrote:Hope the industry picks up soon but not sure it will if ever.
Yes, it looks like the glory days are over .