What's happened to Eikaiwa?

A forum for discussing eikaiwa and teaching-related issues.
Forum rules
The basic forum rules are here :wink: . Refer to the BBCode Guide for information on using BBCode tags, plus this post about additional tags for embedding video.
scanman
Enthusiastic Newbie
Enthusiastic Newbie

What's happened to Eikaiwa?

Unread post by scanman » Sat Jan 18, 2014 10:46 am

What's happened to Eikaiwa? No messages regarding teaching Engrish in Japan so far this year. Seems to have hit rock bottom. Is the industry on its knees or has everyone just lost interest?

JD9
Eikaiwa Hero
Eikaiwa Hero

Re: What's happened to Eikaiwa?

Unread post by JD9 » Sun Jan 26, 2014 1:29 pm

We're are old fucks now who've said everything there is to say and who no longer give a fuck for better or worse.
Angryboy: [size=150][color=#FF0000]Fuck I`m drunk.Been nbice knowing you apck of cunts.[/color][/size]

angryboy
Busdriver
Busdriver

Unread post by angryboy » Sun Jan 26, 2014 11:08 pm

JD9 wrote:We're are old fucks now who've said everything there is to say and who no longer give a fuck for better or worse.
[quote="valve-bouncer"]Fuck me, I hope to christ you are a troll because the possibility of someone so mind-numbingly boring as you walking amongst us gives me the fear.[/quote]

scanman
Enthusiastic Newbie
Enthusiastic Newbie

Unread post by scanman » Thu Jan 30, 2014 1:48 pm

I guess the replies, or the lack of replies have given the answer. People are now not interested in English language schools , conditions; etc. anymore.

sirwanksalot
Masturbateur
Masturbateur

Unread post by sirwanksalot » Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:27 pm

scanman wrote:I guess the replies, or the lack of replies have given the answer. People are now not interested in English language schools , conditions; etc. anymore.

I can't think of a user here that currently works for a big 4 school. We are all old has-beens that used them as a stepping stone for something of greater or lesser value. Now for the last time, show us your tits!

lordCONAN
Eikaiwa Hero
Eikaiwa Hero

Unread post by lordCONAN » Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:18 pm

And I'm pretty sure I've said it here before, with the advent of social media, people don't see a need to go a vent to random people on a forum, because they can just vent to their family and friends quickly and easily, and that gets them "likes" and whatever the upvote thing on twitter and instagram are.

RalphWiggum
LJ Oracle
LJ Oracle

Unread post by RalphWiggum » Thu Jan 30, 2014 11:08 pm

Sadly I think the original point of LJ has long since become obsolete. Since the big chains went to the wall and the number of teachers dropped so dramatically there's not the base of people with the same shared experience to drive a forum like this. Back in the mid 2000s when this place was jumping there were loads of us all doing the same thing with the same gripes to share.

I wonder how many gaijin eikaiwa teachers there are in Japan these days. Nova employed 6000 or so at its peak, as I recall - GEOS was probably 1000 or so again I'd have thought. Bet there's nowhere near those numbers today.

Edited to add: No tits for you, you've already seen my arse.
Shit wank bollocks

senseiman
9 miles of bad road
9 miles of bad road

Unread post by senseiman » Fri Jan 31, 2014 12:05 am

Pretty much what everyone said above.

I actually think there are still a lot of English teachers in Japan, albeit less so than before NOVA and then GEOS went bankrupt. I think the lack of chatter has a bit more to do with forums like this in general being less important than they once were. Seems like all the boards I used to post on 10 years ago when I was still in Eikaiwa - LJ, Gaijinpot, ELT News, Jref, ESL Cafe - are either completely gone or barely have anyone posting anymore.

Seriously though, is anyone here actually still in Eikaiwa?
祇園精舎の鐘の聲、諸行無常の響あり。娑羅雙樹の花の色、盛者必衰のことわりをあらはす。おごれる人も久しからず、唯春の夜の夢のごとし。たけき者も遂にほろびぬ、偏に風の前の塵に同じ。

angryboy
Busdriver
Busdriver

Unread post by angryboy » Fri Jan 31, 2014 12:28 am

scanman wrote:I guess the replies, or the lack of replies have given the answer. People are now not interested in English language schools , conditions; etc. anymore.
Those in the biz still are interested in it but it has all been said before.
No use flogging a dead horse.
[quote="valve-bouncer"]Fuck me, I hope to christ you are a troll because the possibility of someone so mind-numbingly boring as you walking amongst us gives me the fear.[/quote]

RalphWiggum
LJ Oracle
LJ Oracle

Unread post by RalphWiggum » Fri Jan 31, 2014 1:55 am

angryboy wrote:
Those in the biz still are interested in it but it has all been said before.
No use flogging a dead horse.
Now this I don't agree with at all - people LOVE to flog a dead horse, and surely any newbs heading out to teach in Japan are still bursting with questions when they land the job. There's nothing quite like asking a real life (well, on a forum anyway) person what you want to know rather than trawling through other peoples' posts. It's far more personal and engaging. So where are they asking?
Shit wank bollocks

scanman
Enthusiastic Newbie
Enthusiastic Newbie

Unread post by scanman » Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:43 am

'No use flogging a dead horse.' Yes, I guess you are right. The rumbunptious Eikaiwa horses seem to have been put down some time ago. Now there are only a few old nags roaming the fields.

angryboy
Busdriver
Busdriver

Unread post by angryboy » Thu Feb 20, 2014 12:30 pm

scanman wrote:Now there are only a few old nags roaming the fields.
I prefer gracefully aging stallions put out to stud :wink:

Kawasako
Enthusiastic Newbie
Enthusiastic Newbie

Unread post by Kawasako » Sat Mar 01, 2014 11:21 pm

Still living, the Eikawa scene. Just too busy to come here.

sirwanksalot
Masturbateur
Masturbateur

Unread post by sirwanksalot » Wed May 21, 2014 10:13 pm

Langslave wrote:Though I may get shat on, I'm still in it. It's all I was qualified for. To be honest I've never been interested in any kind of career really, climbing any sort of corporate ladder dis-interests me in the extreme. Work is a means to an end for me, I'd be happy not to have to work ( c'mon Loto...) but bills must be paid so here I sits.
I'm kind in the same boat except the other work I'm qualified to do is life shortening and pays even less.

RalphWiggum
LJ Oracle
LJ Oracle

Unread post by RalphWiggum » Thu May 22, 2014 5:31 am

Langslave wrote:Though I may get shat on, I'm still in it. It's all I was qualified for. To be honest I've never been interested in any kind of career really, climbing any sort of corporate ladder dis-interests me in the extreme. Work is a means to an end for me, I'd be happy not to have to work ( c'mon Loto...) but bills must be paid so here I sits.
No shame in working eikaiwa. I like the job I have now, but if I could do eikaiwa for the same money and job security I'd go back in a shot.
Shit wank bollocks

Junken Master
Hopeless Drone
Hopeless Drone

Unread post by Junken Master » Thu May 29, 2014 3:18 am

Might as well post this here.

Was looking through the local classifieds the other day, and I found this gem.... a Juku position going in Japan. Looks like pretty much the same shit but different day.

General company introduction

CoCo Juku is the newly established Japan-wide English School chain started by Nichii Gakkan Company. Nichii Gakkan is a leading Japanese company in the nursing and medical assistant fields, in addition to education. We take pride in our 16,000+ employees and strive to create a great environment to work and grow.

"We take pride in our 16,000+ employees" lol. Just more meat for the grinder and chuck em out after years up.

In 2012, we have opened over 70 CoCo Juku school branches and are looking to expand even further. Nichii Gakkan Corp is looking for professional and enthusiastic English Instructors for our recently established and rapidly expanding Coco Juku English schools. Open positions in locations nationwide.

Job description
Nichii Gakkan Corp is looking for professional and enthusiastic English Instructors for our recently established and rapidly expanding Coco Juku English schools. Open positions in locations nationwide.

Main duties and responsibilities:

- Teach students following the company`s curriculum and teaching methodology effectively, offering attractive lessons for students
- Evaluate students properly
- Complete and update daily teaching records
- Counsel students about contract renewals and future courses
- Attend the required meetings, seminars and other activities
- Be loyal and cooperative to the employer

"Be loyal and cooperative to the employer" This one's a real gem. Just gives the company a license to shit all over you.

Benefits

Salary: Full-time native English teachers: JPY 250,000 - 265,000/month
- Visa Sponsorship
- Transportation fees provided
- Contract renewal bonus
- Shakai Hoken (Employee Health Insurance)
- Unemployment Insurance
- Union membership and representation
- Consecutive working hours (no split shifts)
- Accommodation assistance provided (depends on location)
"Salary: Full-time native English teachers: JPY 250,000 - 265,000/month This was interesting. Can still get the 250,000 on occasion and not all jobs are going at a blanket 220,000

Work hours
Between 7am and 10pm (total 40 hours of working hours a week)
Days off: According to company regulations

Althought it says no split shifts above, who the fuck wants to get up for a morning lesson 7.00am. And if that's 40 actual teaching hours, and not any prep time... well, good luck!!!....!

*This position is for a one year contract. **

*This position is for a one year contract. ** Excellent job security, yet again!

Work start day: Will depend on the location

Person requirements

Requirements:

- Fluent English
- Bachelor's degree or higher from an English speaking country (required for visa sponsorship)
- Be able to work for a minimum of one year
- TESOL, TEFL, or CELTA experience (at least 120 hours) or equivalent certificate is favorable
- Teaching experience and/or instructor training experience is favorable

Prospective candidates:

- Have an interest in Japanese culture and working with Japanese people (to learn how to do what you are told)
- Have excellent communication skills and are eager to learn new things (to learn how to get fucked over)
- Are patient, friendly and flexible (work all hours under the sun)
- Are careful and thoughtful (not to insult anyone over 40 years old)
- Are team players and proactively support others (wipe the bosses arse)
- Are active and enthusiastic (repeat: wipe the bosses arse)
- People with English teaching experience will have a strong advantage (in getting another 15,000 YEN a year?)

Company information

CoCo Juku is the newly established Japan-wide English School chain started by Nichii Gakkan Company. In 2012, we have opened over 70 CoCo Juku school branches and are looking to expand even further. Nichii Gakkan Corp is looking for professional and enthusiastic English Instructors for our recently established and rapidly expanding Coco Juku English schools. Open positions in locations nationwide.

Nichii Gakkan Company is a leading company in the nursing and medical assistant fields in addition to education. We take pride in our 16,000+ employees and strive to create a great environment to work and grow. Upon joining Nichii Gakkan as an employee, you will also become a member of the Nichii Gakkan trade union, which will give you a voice in the company through union representation.

Being a newly established school, teaching at CoCo Juku offers excellent opportunities of advancement for talented and motivated candidates. We look forward to hearing from you.

OMG this company really is full of itself, isn't it.

I'll have a quick think about it - OK, I'll pass...

Junken Master
Hopeless Drone
Hopeless Drone

Unread post by Junken Master » Fri May 30, 2014 5:42 pm

Oh no, I feel bad making those comments now!

Just thought it might be fun to bastardise one of these adverts!

ArthurGrole
Fresh & Minty
Fresh & Minty

Unread post by ArthurGrole » Sat Apr 04, 2015 8:01 am

scanman wrote:What's happened to Eikaiwa? No messages regarding teaching Engrish in Japan so far this year. Seems to have hit rock bottom. Is the industry on its knees or has everyone just lost interest?
I think NOVA and GEOS were generating a lot of discussion. NOVA had lots of foreign instructors ten years ago, now they just don't. GEOS is just gone. No one ever says much about AEON, ECC, Berlitz or CoCo Juku, oddly enough.
The interesting fact about the Arab is that he can go for a whole year on one grain of rice… No, that’s the mosquito. I get those muddled up because they’re next door to each other in the dictionary: mosquito and mosques.

scanman
Enthusiastic Newbie
Enthusiastic Newbie

Unread post by scanman » Sat Apr 04, 2015 1:47 pm

Yes, the times have changed since the days of bountiful language schools and teaching jobs. :(

ArthurGrole
Fresh & Minty
Fresh & Minty

Unread post by ArthurGrole » Tue Apr 07, 2015 12:26 am

scanman wrote:Yes, the times have changed since the days of bountiful language schools and teaching jobs. :(
All the places I know of have only one or two native English speakers working at them. It used to be pretty much the standard for a small NOVA branch to have at least four. I think a lot of things really started to change when the government got stricter about enrolling teachers in Shakai-Hoken. Ever since then the eikaiwa chains have been desperate to keep costs down by keeping teachers on "part-time" contracts (an old NOVA dodge) or just hiring less people to work full-time.
The interesting fact about the Arab is that he can go for a whole year on one grain of rice… No, that’s the mosquito. I get those muddled up because they’re next door to each other in the dictionary: mosquito and mosques.

scanman
Enthusiastic Newbie
Enthusiastic Newbie

Unread post by scanman » Sat Jun 20, 2015 6:52 pm

Wow! no one has posted on here for over two months. What's going on?

RalphWiggum
LJ Oracle
LJ Oracle

Unread post by RalphWiggum » Sat Jun 20, 2015 11:34 pm

I don't think anyone works in eikaiwa any more!
Shit wank bollocks

scanman
Enthusiastic Newbie
Enthusiastic Newbie

Unread post by scanman » Sun Jun 21, 2015 12:53 pm

So, what's the gossip?

Edogaijin
Eikaiwa Hero
Eikaiwa Hero

Unread post by Edogaijin » Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:47 pm

I've seen a lot of adults doing online skype lessons with Filipinos for as low as 200 to 500 yen an hour. My best adult class is paying 10,000 for 90 minutes so hope they all don't go IT on me and download skype. Still lots of people not net savvy. I've still got my little school which is 15 years old now. Not many students as I'm busy doing other things as well and can't really cope with more or want to hire an extra teacher. A few schools have closed down near me lately. One school closing at the end of July about 5km from my school yet 10 of those students are willing to travel to my school. All elementary school. So it's dying yet I'm not too fussed. The more schools that close the better as far as I'm concerned. 2 other companies not related to eikaiwa owe me 4 months salary and 6 months salary. So, I'm happy to have my eggs in a few baskets and hope these 2 companies don't go bankrupt. They are paying later and later...My main job though is stable and pays 2 weeks in advance with pension and health insurance. That job alone is enough to live on. Trying to come up with some ideas for the Olympics....

senseiman
9 miles of bad road
9 miles of bad road

Unread post by senseiman » Mon Jun 22, 2015 10:22 am

Edogaijin wrote:I've seen a lot of adults doing online skype lessons with Filipinos for as low as 200 to 500 yen an hour. My best adult class is paying 10,000 for 90 minutes so hope they all don't go IT on me and download skype. Still lots of people not net savvy. I've still got my little school which is 15 years old now. Not many students as I'm busy doing other things as well and can't really cope with more or want to hire an extra teacher. A few schools have closed down near me lately. One school closing at the end of July about 5km from my school yet 10 of those students are willing to travel to my school. All elementary school. So it's dying yet I'm not too fussed. The more schools that close the better as far as I'm concerned. 2 other companies not related to eikaiwa owe me 4 months salary and 6 months salary. So, I'm happy to have my eggs in a few baskets and hope these 2 companies don't go bankrupt. They are paying later and later...My main job though is stable and pays 2 weeks in advance with pension and health insurance. That job alone is enough to live on. Trying to come up with some ideas for the Olympics....
Sounds like a pretty good set up you have going. When I was teaching out of my apartment back in the day I remember new schools seemed to be popping up and disappearing pretty quickly. Seems like it is the nature of the business - small schools are almost always centered around one person and when he/she decides to move it pulls the plug on the whole school.

Do you think Skype lessons are a seriuos threat to the Eikaiwa business? Seems to me they would mainly appeal to a fairly narrow niche market of budget minded people solely doing it for practice. I would think that kids lessons and lessons from people doing it as a hobby/looking for a social activity would be immune to that kind of competition and that must represent a sizeable majority of the market.
祇園精舎の鐘の聲、諸行無常の響あり。娑羅雙樹の花の色、盛者必衰のことわりをあらはす。おごれる人も久しからず、唯春の夜の夢のごとし。たけき者も遂にほろびぬ、偏に風の前の塵に同じ。

Edogaijin
Eikaiwa Hero
Eikaiwa Hero

Unread post by Edogaijin » Mon Jun 22, 2015 11:41 pm

I agree with what you're saying. I've picked up 2 kids that were doing skype lessons via the U.K. The guy teaching them had a school down the road from my school for 13 years until 2013.
According to the mother he has a lot of kids doing the lessons online.

But like you said...she prefers in person, so I got them. She also said it was very cheap... So, I don't know how he does it.
I have a feeling though it's all hype and will die down soon.

I know a lot of adults doing the Filipino Skype lessons cheaply in their own time when ever they feel like having a lesson.
I'm never going to drop my prices. I'm busy enough. Would like to have all my classes and more being taught by a drone but I don't have the patience to trust anyone with my students and I'm sure most of them only want me to teach them. It is tiring though.

I also know of 2 old schools who are trying to sell online packages with Filipino online teachers. One school I used to work at and they had 30 eikaiwas running in jukus about 20 years, now they only offer online. They only have 3 or 4 jukus left as well. Too easy for kids to get into good high schools these days so a lot of jukus have died off as well....

As they die off though it just makes those that are left more profitable. I'm working on a book with my son for the Olympics and how Japanese should converse and help foreigners during the Olympics. Hopefully it will get done and not just another idea of mine I didn't complete...

Always willing to try different things. eikaiwa helps pay my son's college fees... 3 more years out of 5 to go with that...
Last edited by Edogaijin on Tue Jun 23, 2015 9:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

ArthurGrole
Fresh & Minty
Fresh & Minty

Unread post by ArthurGrole » Tue Jun 23, 2015 12:23 am

RalphWiggum wrote:I don't think anyone works in eikaiwa any more!
There certainly aren't as many eikaiwa teachers around as there used to be - I just don't think the operators want to keep paying lots of foreigners semi-respectable salaries and half their Shakai Hoken. I doubt people in Japan are as keen on spending money on ekaiwa classes as they once were, and I can't see that changing if the economy doesn't pick up.

senseiman
9 miles of bad road
9 miles of bad road

Unread post by senseiman » Thu Jun 25, 2015 2:13 pm

Edogaijin wrote:
As they die off though it just makes those that are left more profitable. I'm working on a book with my son for the Olympics and how Japanese should converse and help foreigners during the Olympics. Hopefully it will get done and not just another idea of mine I didn't complete...

Always willing to try different things. eikaiwa helps pay my son's college fees... 3 more years out of 5 to go with that...
Sounds interesting, good luck with the book!

Its also interesting that the field of competition is being weeded out like that. I often wondered back in the day how the market could possibly support so many, concern about the future of the market was one of the main reasons I got out of Eikaiwa (a little over a decade ago now....). Glad to hear that people with good schools can still make a go of it though!

Edogaijin
Eikaiwa Hero
Eikaiwa Hero

Unread post by Edogaijin » Tue Jun 30, 2015 10:22 pm

2 new students yesterday, 7 today...one more coming next week.... boom boom....

inflames
9 miles of bad road
9 miles of bad road

Unread post by inflames » Tue Jun 30, 2015 11:05 pm

The value proposition has gotten a lot harder with skype lessons now - Nova and ECC offer skype lessons with some place overseas, and I assume they're ridiculously cheap (I know the ECC lessons are as the ads are on the train).

A lot of people have stopped with the lessons because they are quite expensive, and the other people actually want something from them.