Anniversary of Nova Collapse approaching...

A forum for discussing eikaiwa and teaching-related issues.
Forum rules
The basic forum rules are here :wink: . Refer to the BBCode Guide for information on using BBCode tags, plus this post about additional tags for embedding video.
allblacks

Anniversary of Nova Collapse approaching...

Unread post by allblacks » Fri Sep 06, 2013 12:22 am

Its been quite a long time since the shit hit the fan at Nova. Perhaps a reunion is in order? How is everyone doing now? Drop us a line at LJ and let us know your doings!

Allblacks

JD9
Eikaiwa Hero
Eikaiwa Hero

Re: Anniversary of Nova Collapse approaching...

Unread post by JD9 » Fri Sep 06, 2013 12:43 am

Yeah shit, what's it been 6 years right?
Still running my own school with +80 students, almost all of which take lessons at my joint. That means I mostly sit around in my undies playing video games until about 3pm mon-sat. Doing it really tough and making some decent coin considering how few hours I actually work in the process! :chug:
Angryboy: [size=150][color=#FF0000]Fuck I`m drunk.Been nbice knowing you apck of cunts.[/color][/size]

steki47

Unread post by steki47 » Fri Sep 06, 2013 8:28 am

Good for you!

I think a lot of Novaites were fairly complacent working there and the collapse put a fire under our asses to do something different and hopefully better. At the time I was angry but have since done much better for myself in many ways. Happy to have moved on.

Japandy
Eikaiwa Hero
Eikaiwa Hero

Unread post by Japandy » Sat Sep 07, 2013 6:39 am

Looks like they have just changed the name back to Nova again.

http://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2013/0 ... ool-chain/

Zola
Fresh & Minty
Fresh & Minty

Unread post by Zola » Thu Sep 19, 2013 5:02 pm

I was there for the fall. At the time it sucked balls. It put a massive spanner in the works of the plans that I had. But looking back I think it was a useful experience. Funny how nostalgia works. I sometimes miss the place. Or maybe the people I worked with.

Edogaijin
Eikaiwa Hero
Eikaiwa Hero

Unread post by Edogaijin » Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:26 pm

Japandy wrote:Looks like they have just changed the name back to Nova again.

http://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2013/0 ... ool-chain/
Nova Holdings said it currently operates 336 schools with some 66,000 students. = Average of 196 students per school????

Oooops... :cheers:
Last edited by Edogaijin on Fri Sep 20, 2013 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RalphWiggum
LJ Oracle
LJ Oracle

Unread post by RalphWiggum » Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:46 pm

Edogaijin wrote:Nova Holdings said it currently operates 336 schools with some 66,000 students. = Average of 1833.33 students per school????

Most high schools in Japan don't have that many students.... High schools are huge... How do they fit and rotate 1833 through a tiny eki-mae shit box every week?
Hundreds of kids at ten or so per hour, 5 adults per class these days I think so if they manage to keep a school with 8 classrooms filled for 8 hours a day that's 400 students per day or 2800 per week. Now of course they don't fill each class each day but you can see how they could get close to the figures you're talking about. Back when I was there I was in a medium sized school with 14 teachers working most days and we had thousands of students on the books.
Shit wank bollocks

MacGyver
Shockproof shit detector
Shockproof shit detector

Unread post by MacGyver » Fri Sep 20, 2013 10:47 am

RalphWiggum wrote:
Edogaijin wrote:Nova Holdings said it currently operates 336 schools with some 66,000 students. = Average of 1833.33 students per school????

Most high schools in Japan don't have that many students.... High schools are huge... How do they fit and rotate 1833 through a tiny eki-mae shit box every week?
Hundreds of kids at ten or so per hour, 5 adults per class these days I think so if they manage to keep a school with 8 classrooms filled for 8 hours a day that's 400 students per day or 2800 per week. Now of course they don't fill each class each day but you can see how they could get close to the figures you're talking about. Back when I was there I was in a medium sized school with 14 teachers working most days and we had thousands of students on the books.
And wasn't that actually one of the problems? That is, they had so many students on the books that even though many would only be occasional students, a lot of students had trouble booking classes at their preferred time cause they were always full?
"Yous guys talk a lotta shit. I'm much more smarter than all a yous." - Samurai Jerk after being owned by the Let's Japan crew.

RalphWiggum
LJ Oracle
LJ Oracle

Unread post by RalphWiggum » Fri Sep 20, 2013 4:49 pm

MacGyver wrote:
RalphWiggum wrote:

And wasn't that actually one of the problems? That is, they had so many students on the books that even though many would only be occasional students, a lot of students had trouble booking classes at their preferred time cause they were always full?
Yeah, the business model seemed to need more students on the books than it was possible to book lessons for in order to turn a profit. In my experience it was always possible to book lessons outside peak times (so weekday daytimes, basically) but in the evenings and at weekends we were booked solid.
Shit wank bollocks

InTheColdLightOfDay
9 miles of bad road
9 miles of bad road

Unread post by InTheColdLightOfDay » Fri Sep 20, 2013 7:11 pm

RalphWiggum wrote:

Or there's also the fact that 66,000 students in 336 schools actually works out at just under 200 students per school, rather than 1833...
Each monkeys has different face. It's very difficult to distinguish monkey's face, like we can't memorize foreigner's face.

JD9
Eikaiwa Hero
Eikaiwa Hero

Unread post by JD9 » Fri Sep 20, 2013 8:22 pm

InTheColdLightOfDay wrote:Or there's also the fact that 66,000 students in 336 schools actually works out at just under 200 students per school, rather than 1833...
:haha: :clap:
Angryboy: [size=150][color=#FF0000]Fuck I`m drunk.Been nbice knowing you apck of cunts.[/color][/size]

Wage Slave
Shockproof shit detector
Shockproof shit detector

Unread post by Wage Slave » Fri Sep 20, 2013 8:25 pm

Yeah :), there is that too. 196 students per school is, of course, the correct figure. None of us were very quick to notice that little arithmetic error eh?
Don't hesitate to spoil the ship for a ha'porth of tar. You'll get credit for saving the ha'penny and someone else will get the blame for losing the ship.

sirwanksalot
Masturbateur
Masturbateur

Unread post by sirwanksalot » Sat Sep 21, 2013 12:03 am

Wage Slave wrote:Yeah :), there is that too. 196 students per school is, of course, the correct figure. None of us were very quick to notice that little arithmetic error eh?
Fucking English teachers...

RalphWiggum
LJ Oracle
LJ Oracle

Unread post by RalphWiggum » Sat Sep 21, 2013 1:58 am

FUCK YOU, MATHEMATICS.
Shit wank bollocks

MacGyver
Shockproof shit detector
Shockproof shit detector

Unread post by MacGyver » Sat Sep 21, 2013 3:50 pm

Wage Slave wrote:None of us were very quick to notice that little arithmetic error eh?

or at least about said arithmetic error....
"Yous guys talk a lotta shit. I'm much more smarter than all a yous." - Samurai Jerk after being owned by the Let's Japan crew.

Inakanosensei
Frustrated Realist
Frustrated Realist

Unread post by Inakanosensei » Sun Sep 22, 2013 6:59 am

JD9 wrote:Yeah shit, what's it been 6 years right?
Still running my own school with +80 students, almost all of which take lessons at my joint. That means I mostly sit around in my undies playing video games until about 3pm mon-sat. Doing it really tough and making some decent coin considering how few hours I actually work in the process! :chug:
That is awesome. I have to admit I am jealous. I tried going on my own for a while but never got enough students together to make the break. Plus, I had to travel all over the place. When I think back about the hourly rate I was getting at Nova and other places, I feel sad. Well, somebody had to pay for all that advertising, office rental space, Monkey Bridge's salary, etc.
Zola wrote:I was there for the fall. At the time it sucked balls. It put a massive spanner in the works of the plans that I had. But looking back I think it was a useful experience. Funny how nostalgia works. I sometimes miss the place. Or maybe the people I worked with.
I worked for Nova for an embarassingly long time. My only pathetic defense was that I lived nearby and they let me have a Monday-through-Friday-all-early-shifts schedule that made it possible me for have a family life. I am glad I got another job safely before the fall, but I would have loved to have been there to see it from the inside. Of course, not getting paid would have really, really sucked.

RalphWiggum
LJ Oracle
LJ Oracle

Unread post by RalphWiggum » Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:18 am

Inakanosensei wrote:I worked for Nova for an embarassingly long time. My only pathetic defense was that I lived nearby and they let me have a Monday-through-Friday-all-early-shifts schedule that made it possible me for have a family life. I am glad I got another job safely before the fall, but I would have loved to have been there to see it from the inside. Of course, not getting paid would have really, really sucked.
Nothing embarrassing about it. If you were in there early enough the money was fantastic for what it was - I knew people who'd been at Nova for 10+ years when the end finally came who were pulling around 5 million yen a year for just turning up and doing the lessons. Until about 18 months before the fall there was no real indication that the bottom was going to fall out of it all. If you aren't madly ambitious then 5m is doing OK, so why would you think about changing?
Shit wank bollocks