Is Eikaiwa dying in Japan?

A forum for discussing eikaiwa and teaching-related issues.
Forum rules
The basic forum rules are here :wink: . Refer to the BBCode Guide for information on using BBCode tags, plus this post about additional tags for embedding video.
Inakanosensei
Frustrated Realist
Frustrated Realist
Posts: 112
Joined: Thu Jun 09, 2011 8:30 pm

Re: Is Eikaiwa dying in Japan?

Unread post by Inakanosensei » Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:20 am

I hope the silence means LJ members are getting out of eikaiwa or their working conditions are getting better.

User avatar
angryboy
Busdriver
Busdriver
Posts: 2566
Joined: Fri Mar 19, 2004 2:55 pm
Location: Abroad enroute to Shopping

Re: Is Eikaiwa dying in Japan?

Unread post by angryboy » Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:56 am

Inakanosensei wrote:I hope the silence means LJ members are getting out of eikaiwa or their working conditions are getting better.
As for me,I`ve said and heard pretty much everything so anything I have to say is just axe grinding.
[quote="valve-bouncer"]Fuck me, I hope to christ you are a troll because the possibility of someone so mind-numbingly boring as you walking amongst us gives me the fear.[/quote]

User avatar
JD9
Eikaiwa Hero
Eikaiwa Hero
Posts: 516
Joined: Sun Aug 19, 2012 9:04 am
Location: Under the overpass.

Re: Is Eikaiwa dying in Japan?

Unread post by JD9 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:51 pm

browser wrote:Hmmm . . . . No Eikaiwa postings for more than a week. Things are very quiet.
Super Stickman Golf 2 was released on the 14th.
Every spare moment has been devoted to playing it and so I've got right off the radar here, FB etc. :mrgreen:
Only came back to check a PM.
SSG2 awaits!
Angryboy: [size=150][color=#FF0000]Fuck I`m drunk.Been nbice knowing you apck of cunts.[/color][/size]

User avatar
senseiman
9 miles of bad road
9 miles of bad road
Posts: 1868
Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2003 1:51 pm
Location: Japan again

Re: Is Eikaiwa dying in Japan?

Unread post by senseiman » Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:34 pm

It has been 8 years since I got out of Eikaiwa, probably the same for a lot older posters here. I agree with Angryboy`s observation, I did all my complaining about Eikaiwa long ago, anything more would just be unseemly. I tend to look back on my time in Eikaiwa with rose-tinted glasses now.

God, how time flies.
祇園精舎の鐘の聲、諸行無常の響あり。娑羅雙樹の花の色、盛者必衰のことわりをあらはす。おごれる人も久しからず、唯春の夜の夢のごとし。たけき者も遂にほろびぬ、偏に風の前の塵に同じ。

User avatar
ShonaiBen
Eikaiwa Hero
Eikaiwa Hero
Posts: 642
Joined: Sun Aug 03, 2003 5:33 pm
Location: on the floor

Re: Is Eikaiwa dying in Japan?

Unread post by ShonaiBen » Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:01 am

senseiman wrote:It has been 8 years since I got out of Eikaiwa, probably the same for a lot older posters here. I agree with Angryboy`s observation, I did all my complaining about Eikaiwa long ago, anything more would just be unseemly. I tend to look back on my time in Eikaiwa with rose-tinted glasses now.

God, how time flies.
........been out 13 years and yeah time does fly.......can't add much more for the same reasons as above.
Shit Sticks to the Wall.........

browser
Fresh & Minty
Fresh & Minty
Posts: 20
Joined: Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:26 pm

Re: Is Eikaiwa dying in Japan?

Unread post by browser » Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:13 am

Ten days now since anyone has posted on an Eikaiwa topic :roll:

Junken Master
Hopeless Drone
Hopeless Drone
Posts: 346
Joined: Mon Jun 01, 2009 9:41 am

Re: Is Eikaiwa dying in Japan?

Unread post by Junken Master » Tue Apr 16, 2013 6:28 pm

Maybe so many people have been fucked over so many times.... it's not news any more!! :-)

lordCONAN
Eikaiwa Hero
Eikaiwa Hero
Posts: 657
Joined: Wed Jan 26, 2005 8:45 am

Re: Is Eikaiwa dying in Japan?

Unread post by lordCONAN » Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:23 pm

I think it probably has a lot to do with social networks too. Before the rise of facebook and all that other shit, if you came to Japan it was unlikely you be able to easily contact your friends and family. Sure there's email, but that still kind of a pain. So people looked for other people in the same situation as them, seeking information about past experiences in Japan and so forth. These days, even when people leave all their friends and family behind they're still so connected via social networks that they don't actively seek out forums of expats bitching and moaning because they can't just bitch and moan straight to their friends and family with little hassle.

That said, I got out of eikaiwa 2 years ago and have got a full time job at a private high school, so I haven't been paying to much attention to the eikaiwa forums.

User avatar
Edogaijin
Eikaiwa Hero
Eikaiwa Hero
Posts: 800
Joined: Sun Aug 03, 2003 7:11 pm
Contact:

Re: Is Eikaiwa dying in Japan?

Unread post by Edogaijin » Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:05 pm

My little eikaiwa school has been going 13 years come Aug. Never took it seriously but keep being told by old retired guys lately that I'll probably get real busy now that the government is pushing English again. Time to drum up a TOEFL course or too in the advertising.

I'll believe is when I see it and am going to advertise shortly for the 1st time in about 8 years before August.... I'm trying to find a part time teacher to have on standby or even a partner... not many gaijin interested in working eikaiwa by the looks of things. I only teach my classes because all the profit goes directly to myself....

One of my ex students (brother and sister ) has asked me to start teaching them again...told the family I'm too busy...they even offered more money...told them I'm still too busy...
:clap:

Now that Geos seem to have disappeared...(are they gone?) and Nova...people are forgetting about those companies...
Shane is still kicking, Berlitz, Aeon...they must all be waiting for the new wave...

Will be a lack of teachers....= higher wages...could be a 2nd generation baby boom of eikaiwa about to kick off...

User avatar
senseiman
9 miles of bad road
9 miles of bad road
Posts: 1868
Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2003 1:51 pm
Location: Japan again

Re: Is Eikaiwa dying in Japan?

Unread post by senseiman » Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:17 pm

novawhiz wrote:Its certianly been in a long slow decline since about 2-3 years before Nova crashed and burned. I do kind of wonder if the local small operators have bounced back some but two years ago i went back to japan and it was so obvious the change since 2005. So maybe its at 50 % of what it used to be at the peak, when all sorts of crazy stuff was going on (wisdom 21) maybe its where it should be - under the radar.
A Wisdom 21 reference!! Haven`t seen one of those in years :cheers: Really brings back memories of the good old days.
祇園精舎の鐘の聲、諸行無常の響あり。娑羅雙樹の花の色、盛者必衰のことわりをあらはす。おごれる人も久しからず、唯春の夜の夢のごとし。たけき者も遂にほろびぬ、偏に風の前の塵に同じ。

inflames
9 miles of bad road
9 miles of bad road
Posts: 1514
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2007 12:08 am

Re: Is Eikaiwa dying in Japan?

Unread post by inflames » Sat Apr 27, 2013 1:52 am

senseiman wrote:
novawhiz wrote:Its certianly been in a long slow decline since about 2-3 years before Nova crashed and burned. I do kind of wonder if the local small operators have bounced back some but two years ago i went back to japan and it was so obvious the change since 2005. So maybe its at 50 % of what it used to be at the peak, when all sorts of crazy stuff was going on (wisdom 21) maybe its where it should be - under the radar.
A Wisdom 21 reference!! Haven`t seen one of those in years :cheers: Really brings back memories of the good old days.
I actually ran into that Darrell guy (the former owner) 2 or 3 years ago in Osaka at a bar.

AsahiSupaSpy
Eikaiwa Hero
Eikaiwa Hero
Posts: 580
Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2010 11:01 pm

Re: Is Eikaiwa dying in Japan?

Unread post by AsahiSupaSpy » Sat Apr 27, 2013 11:37 pm

Not Eikaiwa per say, but the JET programme is being re-beefed (is that a thing?) up.
I say, forget the recent graduates with no teaching experience who don't know shit about shit, and spend money on attracting qualified teachers preferably with Japanese ability.
Do NOT arrest this man.

User avatar
In The Know
Cassandra
Cassandra
Posts: 2207
Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2007 7:56 am
Location: International Departures, KIX
Contact:

You get what you pay for

Unread post by In The Know » Sun Apr 28, 2013 3:39 am

AsahiSupaSpy wrote:I say, forget the recent graduates with no teaching experience who don't know shit about shit, and spend money on attracting qualified teachers preferably with Japanese ability.
I agree with that. Trained teachers (they do exist) with a few years or more of real classroom experience would benefit the students while weeding out the boneheads that go to Japan to "teach" English yet are confused by it's/its, your/you're, then/than, and when to use "fewer" and when to use "less."

Now, the caveat: Japan, prepare to pay more than 200,000 en/month for a real teacher. I'm guessing Japanese teachers wouldn't teach for that. I remember years ago when I first arrived in Japan the minimum was 250,000 en/month (sometimes a little more). It has worked toward the lower end of the spectrum since the NOVA collapse in 2007 and 200,000 and 210,000 en is common.

If I were a school or company I would expect my English teacher to have, at minimum, an understanding of basic, everyday spoken Japanese. It's only natural. You're in Japan!

User avatar
BergKatse
Hopeless Drone
Hopeless Drone
Posts: 331
Joined: Mon Jul 25, 2011 2:22 pm
Location: Galactor HQ

Re: Is Eikaiwa dying in Japan?

Unread post by BergKatse » Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:32 pm

inflames wrote:
senseiman wrote:
novawhiz wrote:all sorts of crazy stuff was going on (wisdom 21) maybe its where it should be - under the radar.
A Wisdom 21 reference!! Haven`t seen one of those in years :cheers: Really brings back memories of the good old days.
I actually ran into that Darrell guy (the former owner) 2 or 3 years ago in Osaka at a bar.
Can someone enlighten me about this? I've seen a couple of mentions about Wisdom 21 on this board, but I always feel like I'm being left out of an in-joke. What is Wisdom 21 and who is Darrell?

steki47

Re: You get what you pay for

Unread post by steki47 » Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:38 am

In The Know wrote:Trained teachers (they do exist) with a few years or more of real classroom experience would benefit the students

Now, the caveat: Japan, prepare to pay more than 200,000 en/month for a real teacher.

I would expect my English teacher to have, at minimum, an understanding of basic, everyday spoken Japanese.
Sad to say, the above qualities are really asking too much from this industry. Companies will skip #1 and #3 because of #2. Bottom line.

User avatar
MacGyver
Shockproof shit detector
Shockproof shit detector
Posts: 4807
Joined: Fri Aug 08, 2003 12:22 pm
Location: In the Stargate

Re: You get what you pay for

Unread post by MacGyver » Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:41 pm

steki47 wrote:
In The Know wrote:Trained teachers (they do exist) with a few years or more of real classroom experience would benefit the students

Now, the caveat: Japan, prepare to pay more than 200,000 en/month for a real teacher.

I would expect my English teacher to have, at minimum, an understanding of basic, everyday spoken Japanese.
Sad to say, the above qualities are really asking too much from this industry. Companies will skip #1 and #3 because of #2. Bottom line.
I'd say from my experience that #3 is in fact a liability. The less Japanese you speak the better. They want teachers to speak only English at ALL times and if you know some Japanese you may use it, which is bad (apparently)...
"Yous guys talk a lotta shit. I'm much more smarter than all a yous." - Samurai Jerk after being owned by the Let's Japan crew.

User avatar
senseiman
9 miles of bad road
9 miles of bad road
Posts: 1868
Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2003 1:51 pm
Location: Japan again

Re: Is Eikaiwa dying in Japan?

Unread post by senseiman » Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:57 pm

BergKatse wrote: Can someone enlighten me about this? I've seen a couple of mentions about Wisdom 21 on this board, but I always feel like I'm being left out of an in-joke. What is Wisdom 21 and who is Darrell?
Wisdom 21 was a small Eikaiwa chain in Osaka back in the early 00s run by an American named Darrell. It was the subject of much mocking partly because of its advertising (using lots of deep-sounding thoughts from various philosophers but containing loads of obvious grammatical and spelling errors) and partly because of the personality of its owner, whose public persona was a tad egotistical and abrasive. I think it went bankrput years ago though.
祇園精舎の鐘の聲、諸行無常の響あり。娑羅雙樹の花の色、盛者必衰のことわりをあらはす。おごれる人も久しからず、唯春の夜の夢のごとし。たけき者も遂にほろびぬ、偏に風の前の塵に同じ。

steki47

Re: You get what you pay for

Unread post by steki47 » Thu May 02, 2013 8:53 am

MacGyver wrote:I'd say from my experience that #3 is in fact a liability. The less Japanese you speak the better. They want teachers to speak only English at ALL times and if you know some Japanese you may use it, which is bad (apparently)...
Mixed feelings on that. The paranoid side of me feels like They don't want us to speak their language. OTOH, I am paid to teach them English, so I should speak English. Besides, if JTEs could speak English reasonably well, there would be less reason to have ALTs in the first place.

User avatar
MacGyver
Shockproof shit detector
Shockproof shit detector
Posts: 4807
Joined: Fri Aug 08, 2003 12:22 pm
Location: In the Stargate

Re: You get what you pay for

Unread post by MacGyver » Thu May 02, 2013 11:14 am

steki47 wrote:I am paid to teach them English, so I should speak English.
Agreed but I would also argue that it is helpful to speak Japanese so you can convey your point to lower level students. Again, agreed that English should be spoken most of the time, if not all the time where possible, but being able to speak Japanese can be useful. Of course, the Japanese think that (in my experience at least and I openly admit I've never been an ALT) foreigners using Japanese is not helpful for students learning English. Look how well that has helped them over the years. But like anything I think there is a balance. Some Japanese is helpful but too much is also negative. If done correctly, it is helpful to students but like everything else in this country the Japanese take it to extremes.
"Yous guys talk a lotta shit. I'm much more smarter than all a yous." - Samurai Jerk after being owned by the Let's Japan crew.

User avatar
In The Know
Cassandra
Cassandra
Posts: 2207
Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2007 7:56 am
Location: International Departures, KIX
Contact:

Re: You get what you pay for

Unread post by In The Know » Thu May 02, 2013 11:51 pm

MacGyver wrote:...foreigners using Japanese is not helpful for students learning English. Look how well that has helped them over the years.
I would also add, in many cases, foreigners using English is not helpful for students learning English. :rope:

steki47

Re: You get what you pay for

Unread post by steki47 » Fri May 03, 2013 12:00 am

In The Know wrote:
MacGyver wrote:...foreigners using Japanese is not helpful for students learning English. Look how well that has helped them over the years.
I would also add, in many cases, foreigners using English is not helpful for students learning English. :rope:
Shit, Japanese studying English is not helpful for Japanese learning English...

User avatar
MacGyver
Shockproof shit detector
Shockproof shit detector
Posts: 4807
Joined: Fri Aug 08, 2003 12:22 pm
Location: In the Stargate

Re: You get what you pay for

Unread post by MacGyver » Fri May 03, 2013 12:03 am

steki47 wrote:
In The Know wrote:
MacGyver wrote:...foreigners using Japanese is not helpful for students learning English. Look how well that has helped them over the years.
I would also add, in many cases, foreigners using English is not helpful for students learning English. :rope:
Shit, Japanese studying English is not helpful for Japanese learning English...
:haha: :rotfl:
"Yous guys talk a lotta shit. I'm much more smarter than all a yous." - Samurai Jerk after being owned by the Let's Japan crew.

JCTokyoBound
Posts: 4
Joined: Sun Jul 28, 2013 10:53 pm

Re: Is Eikaiwa dying in Japan?

Unread post by JCTokyoBound » Mon Jul 29, 2013 2:24 am

I need a job early October! LOL! I want to move to Tokyo and live with my lovely Japanese girlfriend (you can hear the story here with the song that i wrote for her that won her heart) http://soundcloud.com/ashleycowan/best-of-friends hehe

Joking aside, its very interesting to read this all, I think I have been deluding myself a bit about strolling into a teaching English job after my Masters degree finishes in September. (I got to this excellent website from an AEON review that saved me from signing up) South Korea is definitely the place to go, good apartments and good wages (also I have a friend in China who has a lovely flat and is really enjoying it) of course for me it has to be Japan cos of girly.

I think its going to be tough for me and I may have to go via South Korea.

Love this website!

bostonaussie
Jaded Veteran
Jaded Veteran
Posts: 232
Joined: Fri Aug 08, 2003 12:06 am

Re: Is Eikaiwa dying in Japan?

Unread post by bostonaussie » Thu Aug 08, 2013 1:02 am

Can someone enlighten me about this? I've seen a couple of mentions about Wisdom 21 on this board, but I always feel like I'm being left out of an in-joke. What is Wisdom 21 and who is Darrell?[/quote]

Ah yep Wisdom 21 was a smaller chain school with its HQ in Shinsaibashi running from 1997-2007. Darrell Gartrell was the owner of the school. Being African-American, he had a strong African-American theme for things, and the school was kind of aimed at a more upmarket clientele. From time to time, Darrell would come out with some .... well... 'interesting' advertising. Don't know what hes doing know, but have heard a move back japan-side might be in the works.

User avatar
Futureal
Posts: 4
Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2014 12:08 pm

Re: Is Eikaiwa dying in Japan?

Unread post by Futureal » Sun Jun 01, 2014 12:32 pm

I believe the public has soured on the "McDonald's of ELT" image and now prefers learning from people with some roots here. There are 4 or 5 teacher-owned places near me and they all seem to be doing fine.

User avatar
Japandy
Eikaiwa Hero
Eikaiwa Hero
Posts: 607
Joined: Fri Sep 14, 2007 12:43 am

Re: Is Eikaiwa dying in Japan?

Unread post by Japandy » Mon Oct 10, 2016 3:57 am

I guess it must be. Moved on since leaving 7 years ago and glad I did it.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 2 guests