ATTN FORMER NOVA TEACHERS

A forum for discussing eikaiwa and teaching-related issues.
Forum rules
The basic forum rules are here :wink: . Refer to the BBCode Guide for information on using BBCode tags, plus this post about additional tags for embedding video.
ex_sensei
Eikaiwa Hero
Eikaiwa Hero

Re: ATTN FORMER NOVA TEACHERS

Unread post by ex_sensei » Thu Oct 07, 2010 12:25 am

Pancho wrote:Ex-sensei is still around, see him from time to time. I joined at the melt down time but spend most of my time on motorbike forums (gaijinriders).
Do we know one another? :wink:
[i]Ex_Sensei has left GCOM, and is now working for the competition.[/i]

allblacks
Drop Kick Artist
Drop Kick Artist

Unread post by allblacks » Thu Oct 07, 2010 12:38 am

aha. There he is. The guy who broke the news of Saru's demise. What do you say and what do you know?
Donald Trump "You know what Uranium does? Lots of things, nuclear and like lots of things."

ex_sensei
Eikaiwa Hero
Eikaiwa Hero

Unread post by ex_sensei » Fri Oct 08, 2010 12:34 am

Working like a dog, but still in Japan. I'm out of the NOVA loop.
[i]Ex_Sensei has left GCOM, and is now working for the competition.[/i]

Stick-Swinging Incident
9 miles of bad road
9 miles of bad road

Unread post by Stick-Swinging Incident » Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:56 am

Yup, tons of us still around.
I just don't have much time these days and the computer is not a very willing participant. Been enjoying a new hobby, well two of em, making and drinking illicit beverages. (Was LJ that got me on the road to AA, I'd like to thank em ')

Gotta go, got some stuff bubbling away in the other room... dark and potent with a dash of blackstrap mollassus
[i][size=150][color=#4040FF] §[/color][/size][/i]

allblacks
Drop Kick Artist
Drop Kick Artist

Unread post by allblacks » Mon Oct 11, 2010 6:05 pm

You shouldnt be looking here for the info. They should be contacting you and you should be posting that you got the money. ABs
Donald Trump "You know what Uranium does? Lots of things, nuclear and like lots of things."

allblacks
Drop Kick Artist
Drop Kick Artist

Unread post by allblacks » Tue Oct 12, 2010 10:25 am

Actually if you read the thread you will see that the original notice came from someone high up in Nova Gcon. I cant reveal my source but this guy knows whats going on there. I was merely conveying what was posted on facebook to the masses.

inflames
9 miles of bad road
9 miles of bad road

Unread post by inflames » Sat Oct 16, 2010 2:47 pm

I got the mail today. It's 20% of what we're scheduled to get (the remaining amount, so 20% of 20% which is 4%), with the possibility of getting more later. No date was given, although they asked everyone to return the documents by November 10th.

allblacks
Drop Kick Artist
Drop Kick Artist

Unread post by allblacks » Sun Oct 17, 2010 10:28 am

Oh you mean the 500 yen coins that were either taped or glued to the wall? Jesus Nova was generous. I wasnt working there when it happened but also know some that were.

steki47

Unread post by steki47 » Sun Oct 17, 2010 1:24 pm

inflames wrote:I got the mail today. It's 20% of what we're scheduled to get (the remaining amount, so 20% of 20% which is 4%), with the possibility of getting more later. No date was given, although they asked everyone to return the documents by November 10th.
Strange, I didn't get a letter. Check on Monday.

Ziggy
Disillusioned Cynic
Disillusioned Cynic

Unread post by Ziggy » Mon Oct 18, 2010 9:30 am

Langslave wrote:I didnt get mine yet either...20% of 20% isnt going to be very much by my reckoning either. Maybe 40,000 tops for me if my maths is good. Still, yes, better than the 500 yen. I tried to give mine back to the manager but she wouldnt take it :moon:
I do believe it`s the full 20% and not 20% of 20%.
So little is our loss,
So little is thy gain!

-John Milton

Bernie Kropp
Fresh & Minty
Fresh & Minty

Unread post by Bernie Kropp » Mon Oct 18, 2010 4:10 pm

This is a little complicated for me. I am definitely getting 'the first proportional repayment' which is 20% of my remaining 'claim on the estate'. In other words, I'm getting 20% of the remaining 20% I never got back from the first time.

It says:

#1 ...we are in the situation that we cannot make the repayments in full for the "claims on the estate"*...

#2 Also, the operations to convert assets into cash are almost completed and we do not expect to be able to convert any further large amount of assets. However, currently there are still some ongoing legal actions which we filed in order to recover assets, so it will still be a long time before all the legal proceedings are finalized and the conversion of assets is completed.

#4 In this first proportional repayment, we are planning to repay the equivalent of 20 percent of your current claim on the estate...as of December 16th, 2010.

The trustee site needs to be updated.
http://www.nova.ne.jp/index-trustee.html

bakadevi

Unread post by bakadevi » Mon Oct 18, 2010 6:32 pm

I scanned the letters I got, minus my bank transfer thing, so you can see what they look like.

Hope that's helpful.

steki47

Unread post by steki47 » Mon Oct 18, 2010 9:18 pm

Got the letter today! "First proportional payment" will be Y82,000! Cool!

steki47

Unread post by steki47 » Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:00 am

PaisleyLove wrote: On a lighter note, I'm starting to think I'm in the wrong line of work. These trustees have been employed for three years off of just one bankruptcy. In this current economic climate, it seems like the safest career. :?
Working at a mortuary would seem like stable work; people ain't gonna stop dying anytime soon.

sparty
Fresh & Minty
Fresh & Minty

Unread post by sparty » Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:46 am

I got my info too and have noticed that the amount coming to instructors is quite wide ranged. From some receiving less than ¥20,000 to
more than ¥100,000.. . I don't think there was a 5 times difference in salaries at the time of closure and we all got 80 percent of what was owed.Plus this is 20% of what was owed. Im getting a bit more than ¥40,000 which is about what I figured. Where does everybody else stand in this regard?. Were the computatations
done accurately.?

bakadevi

Unread post by bakadevi » Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:10 am

I think people are posting the top number, instead of the bottom number. #1 - 161,000(total amount of my claim) #2 - 32,000(what they're sending me)
So, people are just masturbating to the larger number.

steki47

Unread post by steki47 » Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:39 am

sparty wrote:I got my info too and have noticed that the amount coming to instructors is quite wide ranged. From some receiving less than ¥20,000 to
more than ¥100,000.. . I don't think there was a 5 times difference in salaries at the time of closure and we all got 80 percent of what was owed.Plus this is 20% of what was owed. Im getting a bit more than ¥40,000 which is about what I figured. Where does everybody else stand in this regard?. Were the computatations
done accurately.?
Didn't some people quit in the middle of the crash? That would reduce their claim a bit.

Kawasako
Enthusiastic Newbie
Enthusiastic Newbie

Unread post by Kawasako » Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:48 am

I got my letter yesterday, looks like 130 000 yen for me.... But of course only 20% to start with... Merry Xmas!

sparty
Fresh & Minty
Fresh & Minty

Unread post by sparty » Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:57 am

I was there they whole time and the others I was with are all getting roughly the same. I think you lucked out Steki 47. Congrats!

iwanttomakeitwork
Fresh & Minty
Fresh & Minty

Unread post by iwanttomakeitwork » Tue Oct 19, 2010 12:34 pm

Mine is:
132,000/27,000

JordanPearson

Unread post by JordanPearson » Tue Oct 19, 2010 5:45 pm

Perhaps the amount of your repayment will depend on your salary (obviously) but also how long you were employed by the "filed for bankruptcy protection Nova corporation"??
Most people resigned their position with Nova and signed up with GComm at that meeting they broadcast over the TV's in November 2007. We had the option to go to work immediately, or take a Y150,000 "layover" payment ot whatever.
I was going home, so I never resigned with the bankrupt Nova, so I was technically still an employee entitled to a monthly wage.
The December 16th repayment figure for me is Y92,000
and the other figure is Y458,000...

steki47

Unread post by steki47 » Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:02 pm

JordanPearson wrote:Perhaps the amount of your repayment will depend on your salary (obviously) but also how long you were employed by the "filed for bankruptcy protection Nova corporation"??
Most people resigned their position with Nova and signed up with GComm at that meeting they broadcast over the TV's in November 2007. We had the option to go to work immediately, or take a Y150,000 "layover" payment ot whatever.
I was going home, so I never resigned with the bankrupt Nova, so I was technically still an employee entitled to a monthly wage.
The December 16th repayment figure for me is Y92,000
and the other figure is Y458,000...
Similar with me. I never actually resigned or signed up with G-Com. Also, my salary was a bit higher. 5th contract, BT allowance.

My numbers are: 410k/82k.

SamhainP8
Dronus japonica
Dronus japonica

Unread post by SamhainP8 » Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:16 pm

I got WAY more than I should have on the first run so I'll be happy for them to not find me.
"Do you know how a falcon is trained, my dear? Her eyes are sewn shut. Blinded temporarily, she suffers the whims of her God patiently, until her will is submerged and she learns to serve - as your God taught and blinded you with crosses."

akane20
Disillusioned Cynic
Disillusioned Cynic

Unread post by akane20 » Tue Oct 19, 2010 10:18 pm

Did anyone fax their change of address and if so, how long did it take to receive your paperwork?

allblacks
Drop Kick Artist
Drop Kick Artist

Unread post by allblacks » Tue Oct 19, 2010 11:03 pm

Looks like the good news continues here for the ex-Nova peeps. Very happy for you all. ABs

iwanttomakeitwork
Fresh & Minty
Fresh & Minty

Unread post by iwanttomakeitwork » Wed Oct 20, 2010 12:50 pm

So it appears that those who chose option"B" (or was it "A") -accepted the 150,000 only to not be rehired are getting a larger chunk.

GOOD!!!!!!! You all deserve it after you were shafted like that!!

toiletbrush
Enthusiastic Newbie
Enthusiastic Newbie

Unread post by toiletbrush » Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:41 pm

Does anyone know what the deal is if you're no longer in Japan?

I see the letter refers to the likelihood of potential beneficaries no longer being at the same address. However, it doesn't seem to address the issue of them no longer being in the country. There must be plenty of people to whom that applies.

Appreciate any useful info anyone has.

AsahiSupaSpy
Eikaiwa Hero
Eikaiwa Hero

Unread post by AsahiSupaSpy » Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:49 pm

Hey ABs, Shawn et al
Thanks so much for getting all this information on to these pages. If not for you guys all of this would have just passed me by as I have moved a couple of times since the last payout.

I thought the first lump of money would have been the end of it..."Hey guys, here's some cash, now get a new job or get the fcuk out!" but it seems that Christmas may come twice this year.

Cheers LJers.
Do NOT arrest this man.

InTheColdLightOfDay
9 miles of bad road
9 miles of bad road

Unread post by InTheColdLightOfDay » Thu Oct 21, 2010 12:18 am

toiletbrush wrote:Does anyone know what the deal is if you're no longer in Japan?

I see the letter refers to the likelihood of potential beneficaries no longer being at the same address. However, it doesn't seem to address the issue of them no longer being in the country. There must be plenty of people to whom that applies.

Appreciate any useful info anyone has.
It doesn't make any difference if you've moved to a new address within Japan or a new address outside of Japan. Either way, get in touch with the trustees by fax or letter and tell them your new address. The form they send out includes a space for overseas remittance.
Each monkeys has different face. It's very difficult to distinguish monkey's face, like we can't memorize foreigner's face.

Various32

Unread post by Various32 » Thu Oct 21, 2010 6:30 am

Can anyone help me out? I tried faxing an inquiry letter to them from the States. I tried faxing 011-81-06-6360-6766 but it is not going through. Anyone help please?!?!