ATTN FORMER NOVA TEACHERS

A forum for discussing eikaiwa and teaching-related issues.
Forum rules
The basic forum rules are here :wink: . Refer to the BBCode Guide for information on using BBCode tags, plus this post about additional tags for embedding video.
allblacks
Drop Kick Artist
Drop Kick Artist

ATTN FORMER NOVA TEACHERS

Unread post by allblacks » Thu Aug 19, 2010 2:02 pm

I have it on excellent authority from a VERY reliable source that, and I quote:
All ex nova employees who received part of their unpaid wages after the bankruptcy (most of you should have received 80% of what was owed to you). The trustees are in the process of organizing a further payment of part of the remaining unpaid amount. If you have changed your address since the last payment you will need to contact the trustees and inform them.
ABs
Donald Trump "You know what Uranium does? Lots of things, nuclear and like lots of things."

InTheColdLightOfDay
9 miles of bad road
9 miles of bad road

Re: ATTN FORMER NOVA TEACHERS

Unread post by InTheColdLightOfDay » Thu Aug 19, 2010 6:03 pm

No offence to you ABs, but I don't see how this can be true.
My understanding was that the money already received was through a government-based initiative that's aim is to help employees of all small to mid size companies should they go bankrupt. They offer 80% of income that the employees didn't receive. Given that instructors who were employed by Nova at the time of the bankruptcy have already received that 80% payment, I don't see where this additional payment could be coming from.
Nova, as it was, doesn't exist anymore and I doubt Saruhashi would be paying out of his own pocket.
Unless the trustees have somehow managed to make enough money picking through the wreckage of Nova 1.0 that they've been able to pay off all other outstanding debts and still have enough left over to give to the instructors.
I'd love to be wrong, though.
Each monkeys has different face. It's very difficult to distinguish monkey's face, like we can't memorize foreigner's face.

allblacks
Drop Kick Artist
Drop Kick Artist

Unread post by allblacks » Thu Aug 19, 2010 6:41 pm

http://www.nova.ne.jp/index-trustee.html

There is nothing about it on the Nova website that was for announcements. The thing is though, my source is VERY close to the pulse. I dont want to out him here though. I hope you guys get atleast a bit more back if you can. ABs
Donald Trump "You know what Uranium does? Lots of things, nuclear and like lots of things."

inflames
9 miles of bad road
9 miles of bad road

Unread post by inflames » Thu Aug 19, 2010 6:47 pm

InTheColdLightOfDay wrote: Unless the trustees have somehow managed to make enough money picking through the wreckage of Nova 1.0 that they've been able to pay off all other outstanding debts and still have enough left over to give to the instructors.
I'd love to be wrong, though.
The catch is that there are rules for paying off debtors when a company goes bankrupt. In Japan, employees owed wages are very high at the top of that list. All of the former employees got a letter in 2008 describing Nova and the bankruptcy. IIRC, employees were second after the government (note: this doesn't apply if something is used as collateral. In that case, the amount of the lien must be paid off first, then the normal rules apply). I'd like to be wrong about it as well. In addition, there's nothing about this on the webpage.

MrX
Eikaiwa Lifer
Eikaiwa Lifer

Unread post by MrX » Thu Aug 19, 2010 11:22 pm

An email was sent round NOVA branches yesterday stating that ex-employees should be getting part of their unpaid wages.
"I believe what I said yesterday. I don't know what I said, but I know what I think, and, well, I assume it's what I said."

In The Know
Cassandra
Cassandra

Unread post by In The Know » Thu Aug 19, 2010 11:30 pm

MrX wrote:An email was sent round NOVA branches yesterday stating that ex-employees should be getting part of their unpaid wages.
:huh: That makes no sense. What good is sending *any* communications to branches regarding EX-TEACHERS.... going back three years? They aren't at the branches to be told about it anyway. And current teachers were: A) hired after the bankruptcy, or, B) don't give a shit what NOVA is doing for ex-teachers.
My blog of mocking satire which targets Kim Jong-un and his evil regime: https://reedakted.blogspot.com

Bernie Kropp
Fresh & Minty
Fresh & Minty

Unread post by Bernie Kropp » Thu Aug 19, 2010 11:41 pm

Says here we can only get 80% back. Go to page 5.

http://www.rofuku.go.jp/kinrosyashien/p ... nglish.pdf
#search='Replacement Payment System for Unpaid Wages'

emerald
Fresh & Minty
Fresh & Minty

Unread post by emerald » Thu Aug 19, 2010 11:50 pm

Hey all,
I'm a newbie and limited in what I can post. Shawn, can you contact me please?

ex_sensei
Eikaiwa Hero
Eikaiwa Hero

Unread post by ex_sensei » Fri Aug 20, 2010 1:07 am

I've heard of this too and just faxed off my information to them.
[i]Ex_Sensei has left GCOM, and is now working for the competition.[/i]

inflames
9 miles of bad road
9 miles of bad road

Unread post by inflames » Fri Aug 20, 2010 1:12 am

Does anyone have any idea how much this is supposed to be or any other details? (FWIW I'm going to fax them by Monday).

ex_sensei
Eikaiwa Hero
Eikaiwa Hero

Unread post by ex_sensei » Fri Aug 20, 2010 1:36 am

The remaining 20%? Can someone verify this?
[i]Ex_Sensei has left GCOM, and is now working for the competition.[/i]

inflames
9 miles of bad road
9 miles of bad road

Unread post by inflames » Fri Aug 20, 2010 1:39 am

ex_sensei wrote:The remaining 20%? Can someone verify this?
My guess is that the remaining 20% is the maximum we can get back (as anything more than that would go to the government insurance program).

I'm expecting it to be a percentage between 0 and 20, being on the low end.

Bernie Kropp
Fresh & Minty
Fresh & Minty

Unread post by Bernie Kropp » Fri Aug 20, 2010 2:11 am

The Trustees must have found more money to cover the rest of the outstanding labor claim of approximately 6 billion yen. Go to page 8, Future schedule.
http://www.nova.ne.jp/pdf/account-en080 ... ch='Report on the state of assets'

Winermute
Fresh & Minty
Fresh & Minty

Unread post by Winermute » Fri Aug 20, 2010 2:16 am

Can anyone post the fax number for the Trustee's Office? I'm not sure if I still have there details. I have moved so they would have my old address, if it's true it couldn't come at a better time.

Pancho
Fresh & Minty
Fresh & Minty

Unread post by Pancho » Fri Aug 20, 2010 10:15 am

06 6360 6766 is the fax no, probably need to add your instructor number as well as your new address.
No, that isn't me, you're thinking of Ex-sensei

Shawn
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: At Mitch & Murray, holding on to the good leads and preparing sets of steak knives

Unread post by Shawn » Fri Aug 20, 2010 10:56 am

A reader sent me this memo:

allblacks
Drop Kick Artist
Drop Kick Artist

Unread post by allblacks » Fri Aug 20, 2010 3:59 pm

Well done Shawn. Now the word is out there!

RandyDickson
Eikaiwa Hero
Eikaiwa Hero

Unread post by RandyDickson » Fri Aug 20, 2010 5:06 pm

thanks for the info guys! :clap:
[i]Life is but a walking shadow, a poor player that struts and frets his hour upon the stage and then is heard no more. It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.[/i][center][/center]

Kuronama
Eikaiwa Hero
Eikaiwa Hero

Unread post by Kuronama » Fri Aug 20, 2010 11:53 pm

Shawn, ABs and whoever else was involved in getting this info out: you guys are awesome! thanks a million :cheers:

steki47

Unread post by steki47 » Sun Aug 22, 2010 12:19 pm

PaisleyLove wrote: Let the humorous speculation begin; I'm guessing that they sold the remaining Diplomat books to be used as cat litter.
Maybe they sold the furniture from Monkeybridge's fuckpad!

Winermute
Fresh & Minty
Fresh & Minty

Unread post by Winermute » Tue Aug 31, 2010 10:39 am

Sent my details off last night - go to be in it to win it!

spoof
Enthusiastic Newbie
Enthusiastic Newbie

Unread post by spoof » Wed Sep 01, 2010 11:43 am

My details have also been sent. Has any date been set on when a decision will be made? Thanks to the guys who alerted us of this?

InTheColdLightOfDay
9 miles of bad road
9 miles of bad road

Unread post by InTheColdLightOfDay » Sat Sep 11, 2010 1:41 pm

Langslave, I'm in the same situation, but I don't think you need to worry. The third point in the fax that was sent from the trustees to all (neo)Nova branches states
People who have not changed addresses do not need to contact the Office of the Trustees.
I don't think any money will be getting distributed in the immediate future. The process is bound to take a bit of time. Still, whenever it comes, it'll be a nice little bonus.
Each monkeys has different face. It's very difficult to distinguish monkey's face, like we can't memorize foreigner's face.

Pancho
Fresh & Minty
Fresh & Minty

Unread post by Pancho » Sat Oct 02, 2010 2:05 am

Mmmmmm seems to be taking a while, maybe Xmas?

allblacks
Drop Kick Artist
Drop Kick Artist

Unread post by allblacks » Sun Oct 03, 2010 3:08 pm

Let me say that it has been great having the old Nova crew around again. Im talking about the people who joined LJ around the time Nova was going under. Dont know where you lot usually go but hope you stick around/drop in occasionally. ABs

InTheColdLightOfDay
9 miles of bad road
9 miles of bad road

Unread post by InTheColdLightOfDay » Mon Oct 04, 2010 11:51 am

PaisleyLove wrote:There are those out there who think that we're always going to get the shaft because we're gaijin, and that we wouldn't get unemployment benefits or our back pay back in 2007-2008. Well, we never got screwed by the trustees, only by NOVA.
Exactly. I lost track of the number of comments and complaints I heard, while we were waiting for the original backpay, from people that seemed to believe that the trustees "owed" them something and were somehow responsible for their situation.
NOVA (more specifically Saruhashi and his cronies) owed us, not the trustees, not the Japanese government and not Japan in general. That point seemed to pass more than a few people by.

steki47

Unread post by steki47 » Tue Oct 05, 2010 12:04 am

allblacks wrote:Let me say that it has been great having the old Nova crew around again. Im talking about the people who joined LJ around the time Nova was going under. Dont know where you lot usually go but hope you stick around/drop in occasionally. ABs
I was one of those. I came in late 2007 to watch the ship sink. Been here ever since. Great site!

allblacks
Drop Kick Artist
Drop Kick Artist

Unread post by allblacks » Tue Oct 05, 2010 7:20 am

Yeah I thought you were. Lots of posts in the End of Nova thread. That is a great read. Especially when it all went down. I think LJ had the drop on all the news outlets because of one poster here.

Pancho
Fresh & Minty
Fresh & Minty

Unread post by Pancho » Wed Oct 06, 2010 12:24 pm

Ex-sensei is still around, see him from time to time. I joined at the melt down time but spend most of my time on motorbike forums (gaijinriders).

allblacks
Drop Kick Artist
Drop Kick Artist

Unread post by allblacks » Wed Oct 06, 2010 1:52 pm

Aha! Another of ye brethren! I went through the old end of Nova thread the other day just for fun. We all pulled together really well.