BEGUNTO is on Strike

A forum for discussing eikaiwa and teaching-related issues.
Forum rules
The basic forum rules are here :wink: . Refer to the BBCode Guide for information on using BBCode tags, plus this post about additional tags for embedding video.
jamesjoyce1904
Fresh & Minty
Fresh & Minty

BEGUNTO is on Strike

Unread post by jamesjoyce1904 » Sun Oct 26, 2008 12:38 pm

Berlitz General Union Tokyo has been striking for the first base pay increase in 16 years and a bonus. 129 union members demonstrated in support of the Berlitz employees' unprecedented campaign at Benesse, the parent company on Friday October 24. This campaign is the biggest strike campaign in the history of the Eikawa industry in Japan.

All Berlitz Employees. Join the Union Join the Strike!

http://www.berlitzuniontokyo.org/

Check out the Suburban Achievers Anthem at:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=LE29f5I5LA4

Tall Tall Tree
Cassandra
Cassandra

Re: BEGUNTO is on Strike

Unread post by Tall Tall Tree » Sun Oct 26, 2008 5:18 pm

jamesjoyce1904 wrote:129 union members demonstrated in support of the Berlitz employees' unprecedented campaign at Benesse, the parent company on Friday October 24.
One hundred twenty-nine? In one eikaiwa union for one school franchise in one city?

Pics or it didn't happen. Even with pics, please reasonably prove they're all Tokyoites, members of the Berlitz union, and currently employed by Berlitz.

Level3
9 miles of bad road
9 miles of bad road

Unread post by Level3 » Sun Oct 26, 2008 8:47 pm

Read again, 129 union members doesn't actually mean 129 teachers, I bet.
But rather 129 members of an affiliated general union who just happened to have nothing to do that day.

Am I getting it right?

I'm gonna make a wild prediction that this is a very, well...DUMB time to be demanding
salary increases. Unless it's a strategy to try to prevent salary cuts.

Though I do support unionization if it's run well [which is why most people DIDN'T support the useless Nova union]
and done to help people getting fucked out of basic employment rights, in this case just because they're foreigners.
"Facts all come with points of view. Facts don't do what I want them to." - Talking Heads

quato
Jaded Veteran
Jaded Veteran

Unread post by quato » Sun Oct 26, 2008 9:44 pm

The president went around to a lot of branches a couple weeks ago and basically said he wasn't going to give into union demands. :( I'm not sure what he said exactly because I wasn't there for any of the meetings but I heard that he hinted that financial damage from the strikes would be less than from giving in to the demands in the long run (it's been more than 6 months of striking already)

Shawn
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: At Mitch & Murray, holding on to the good leads and preparing sets of steak knives

Unread post by Shawn » Sun Oct 26, 2008 10:58 pm

Required reading if you haven't read it already.
The Japan Times wrote:As union representative for Berlitz General Union Tokyo (Begunto), let me set the record straight.

Despite scabs, naysayers and second-guessing pundits in the English-language media, Berlitz teachers are making history. With more than 100 teachers striking at dozens of schools around the Kanto region for over six months, the industrial action at Berlitz is now the largest sustained strike in Japan's language school history.

Begunto demands a 4.6 percent base pay hike and a one-off bonus of one month's salary. Berlitz Japan has not raised teachers' base pay for 16 years. Three years ago, the language school lowered starting pay by over 10 percent per lesson, a cut only partially mitigated by a performance-based raise this year.

These demands are carried over from last year and are the two key demands of Begunto's 2008 "shunto."

Shunto is the traditional labor offensive that unions around the country wage each spring. It literally means "spring battle." In Japan, even labor disputes invoke seasonal change.

Although management's two proposals have thus far fallen short of Begunto's demands, members are showing extraordinary energy and commitment to building momentum in the strike until the demands are met. Two language centers that have had particularly effective walkouts are the powerful Akasaka and Ikebukuro "shops." More than half of all Berlitz schools in Kanto have participated in the strike.

jamesjoyce1904
Fresh & Minty
Fresh & Minty

Unread post by jamesjoyce1904 » Sun Oct 26, 2008 11:14 pm

Tall Tall Tree wrote:
jamesjoyce1904 wrote:129 union members demonstrated in support of the Berlitz employees' unprecedented campaign at Benesse, the parent company on Friday October 24.
One hundred twenty-nine? In one eikaiwa union for one school franchise in one city?

Pics or it didn't happen. Even with pics, please reasonably prove they're all Tokyoites, members of the Berlitz union, and currently employed by Berlitz.
PIctures and videos of this event will be forthcoming on the BEGUNTO website "Tall Tree" as soon as we can get them ready, probably later this week. We are intensifying our campaign and these things take a bit of time. Thanks for your interest.

jamesjoyce1904
Fresh & Minty
Fresh & Minty

Unread post by jamesjoyce1904 » Sun Oct 26, 2008 11:18 pm

jamesjoyce1904 wrote:
Tall Tall Tree wrote:

PIctures and videos of this event will be forthcoming on the BEGUNTO website "Tall Tree" as soon as we can get them ready, probably later this week. We are intensifying our campaign and these things take a bit of time. Thanks for your interest.
Actually pictures are already up along with a detailed account for you perusal on our website:

http://www.berlitzuniontokyo.org/?q=node/67#attachments

jamesjoyce1904
Fresh & Minty
Fresh & Minty

Unread post by jamesjoyce1904 » Sun Oct 26, 2008 11:29 pm

Level3 wrote:Read again, 129 union members doesn't actually mean 129 teachers, I bet.
But rather 129 members of an affiliated general union who just happened to have nothing to do that day.

Am I getting it right?

I'm gonna make a wild prediction that this is a very, well...DUMB time to be demanding
salary increases. Unless it's a strategy to try to prevent salary cuts.

Though I do support unionization if it's run well [which is why most people DIDN'T support the useless Nova union]
and done to help people getting fucked out of basic employment rights, in this case just because they're foreigners.
I can't speak for everyone but I struck to go there, and many folks did, as well as spending a bit of dosh considering that Tama Plaza is not exactly the most conveniently located place in the Tokyo area. I don't know if you noticed the weather on Friday, but it rained quite heavily intermittently at the demonstration. I for one can guarantee you that there were other places I would like to have been. So why did we do it you may ask? Because it is what circumstances have compelled us to do in order to attain results, not because it is ‘fun’. We are prepared to continue to do that and more to achieve a satisfactory result. Berlitz is and has been doing very well financially in spite of recent economic concerns. Inflation is cutting into people’s incomes and starting wages are down while tuition costs have gone up. These are some of the circumstances that have compelled people to make these kinds of sacrifices.

Haterade
Frustrated Realist
Frustrated Realist

Unread post by Haterade » Mon Oct 27, 2008 1:41 am

quato wrote:The president went around to a lot of branches a couple weeks ago and basically said he wasn't going to give into union demands. :( I'm not sure what he said exactly because I wasn't there for any of the meetings but I heard that he hinted that financial damage from the strikes would be less than from giving in to the demands in the long run (it's been more than 6 months of striking already)
Link please...
"The Worlds is Square" - FF VI

Tall Tall Tree
Cassandra
Cassandra

Unread post by Tall Tall Tree » Mon Oct 27, 2008 2:23 am

jamesjoyce1904 wrote:Actually pictures are already up along with a detailed account for you perusal on our website:

http://www.berlitzuniontokyo.org/?q=node/67#attachments
Okay. That post makes it more clear you were supported by general parent and sibling unions, and ones out of the area.

jamesjoyce1904
Fresh & Minty
Fresh & Minty

Unread post by jamesjoyce1904 » Mon Oct 27, 2008 9:45 am

Haterade wrote:
quato wrote:The president went around to a lot of branches a couple weeks ago and basically said he wasn't going to give into union demands. :( I'm not sure what he said exactly because I wasn't there for any of the meetings but I heard that he hinted that financial damage from the strikes would be less than from giving in to the demands in the long run (it's been more than 6 months of striking already)
Link please...
Guy, you can't make a link to the president going around to the language centers visiting with the teachers and staff basically to try and diffuse the strike. All I can tell you is if you know a Berlitz teacher somewhere ask. They will tell you it happened. He went at least to the LCs where there were a lot of union members and some of the others I can't say whether he visited every one. Obviously Berlitz didn't invite the media to this event.

GeorgeEikaiwa
Fresh & Minty
Fresh & Minty

Interesting threads on Berlitz here.

Unread post by GeorgeEikaiwa » Mon Oct 27, 2008 4:07 pm

I enjoyed reading some of the threads on here. Both the threads about the Berlitz and the Benesse demo as well as the thread started about how training works at Berlitz were pretty interesting. I thought I was the only one that thought the way training worked was crazy. It has changed a few times as far as I know. Berlitz was actually trying to sell the training to other companies at one point. I think they gave up on that now. Anyways, the point is that it has always been unpaid and continues to be. By the time you are crowned a Berlitz teacher, you have worked 40 - 80 hours for free depending on the type of training you went through. Right now I do believe it is 40 regardless of contract but I could be wrong. There is a union which is nice to know you will have some backing once you finish training so the chances you did it all for nothing will be minimized.

Edogaijin
Eikaiwa Hero
Eikaiwa Hero

Re: Berlitz Scabs On Strike

Unread post by Edogaijin » Mon Oct 27, 2008 7:02 pm

Aren't the scabs the ones who work instead of strike?
Or do they have scabs on their penises?
[url=http://www.japanichiban.com].....?.....[/url]

quato
Jaded Veteran
Jaded Veteran

Re: Interesting threads on Berlitz here.

Unread post by quato » Mon Oct 27, 2008 11:24 pm

When I asked them why it was unpaid (the transportation as well) they countered with- Think of it as free, not unpaid! :chug:

jamesjoyce1904
Fresh & Minty
Fresh & Minty

Unread post by jamesjoyce1904 » Mon Oct 27, 2008 11:43 pm

scoobycando wrote:Edo gaijin,

Thanks for reading the post and your interest/ or lack of ? in this situation. The above post was meant as a satirical insult to the aforementioned "scabs", albeit not perhaps the most informative. For the past 6 months my union has tried to negotiate with management so that they can keep some promises that were made sometime ago. All was for not and unfortunately strikes have occurred at various locations in the kanto/kansai areas. progress has been hindered with some variable degree of difficulty due to the spineless people above. For a more visual explanation please visit Youtube and search berlitz begunto union. Cheers
It is really funny when they complain about having to put down their playing cards and teach isn't it?

jamesjoyce1904
Fresh & Minty
Fresh & Minty

Re: Interesting threads on Berlitz here.

Unread post by jamesjoyce1904 » Mon Oct 27, 2008 11:47 pm

quato wrote:When I asked them why it was unpaid (the transportation as well) they countered with- Think of it as free, not unpaid! :chug:
:lol:

The thief couldn't have said it better could he? "It ain't stealing, I am just relieving you from worrying about to do with your money."

jamesjoyce1904
Fresh & Minty
Fresh & Minty

Bringing Berlitz Labor Strife To An End

Unread post by jamesjoyce1904 » Mon Oct 27, 2008 11:58 pm

The quickest way to bring the labor strife at Berlitz to an end is to expand the strike participation, already over 100 union members have struck. The President said to some members that it was cheaper for them to spend money on countermeasures than to settle. So the solution is simple, make it cost more. Berlitz when faced with such situations has always made the smart business choice so let's make it clear cut for them.

All Berlitz Employees join in and we can bring this dispute to a successful conclusion, it is good for you and in the long run it will be good for the company too. A company with happy employees will outperform others. The fact that this is the largest sustained action in the history of the Eikawa industry and shows no signs of abating indicates that it has legs for the long haul.

Larger numbers of participants will shorten the campaign and do less damage to all sides. Join BEGUNTO! Join the Strike! Now is the time.

Shawn
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: At Mitch & Murray, holding on to the good leads and preparing sets of steak knives

Unread post by Shawn » Tue Oct 28, 2008 11:28 am

Might as well throw this in, too. Not everybody is happy with the union.
One of the reasons I enjoy teaching at my English school is because of the stress-free environment. But that relaxed feeling has recently changed. This has occurred not because of the students, the management, the company or the location. Surprisingly, the dissent among instructors is due to the new teachers union, which has created a hostile workplace. And as if erecting barriers between coworkers isn’t enough, the union is damaging the entire English-teaching profession here in Japan.

I know that, having read this far, many union members are already screaming with outrage, and I imagine that this article will generate quite a lot of hate mail. But I hope that some of you will continue reading, listen to what I have to say, and consider the truth in it.

I don’t doubt that union members are trying to do good, but recent tactics and the results they are achieving are far from positive. I’m talking about bullying, protecting incompetent workers, and other actions that cause bad reputations for English schools and teachers alike.

medway garage
Frustrated Realist
Frustrated Realist

Unread post by medway garage » Tue Oct 28, 2008 12:02 pm

I`d take that with a pinch of salt,it`s from `Metropolis` who`ve recently been union bashing,probably pure fiction.
I do have a bit of critisism of NAMBU though,i spoke to Louis Carlet about my situation [see Kitty Club thread] and was
told I could not join as I had already been dismissed,although it says on their website you can join if you pay the entire
years subs ? But to give him his due he did offer to meet up to give advice and to talk about joining,I turned this down
as what good is it to join a union that refuses to represent you ?
I have now joined Freeter union [http://freeter-union.org/union/] who are very good but only have one staff member
who speaks English,but already i`m very impressed with their progress.When I joined Freeter they were very surprised
that I had been turned down by NAMBU.Good luck to all you guys at Berlitz though.

Tall Tall Tree
Cassandra
Cassandra

Unread post by Tall Tall Tree » Tue Oct 28, 2008 1:07 pm

So are all eikaiwa union members gaping assholes, or just the ones that post here?

allblacks
Drop Kick Artist
Drop Kick Artist

Unread post by allblacks » Tue Oct 28, 2008 6:00 pm

Flame war coming? :rotfl:
Donald Trump "You know what Uranium does? Lots of things, nuclear and like lots of things."

indoctrin8

Unread post by indoctrin8 » Tue Oct 28, 2008 6:11 pm

hope so. i got the pringles in.

finderskeepers

Unread post by finderskeepers » Tue Oct 28, 2008 6:54 pm

Scooby,
Has it occurred to you that these "scabs" have a family and also are in need of some support. Try
walking a mile in another ones shoes.

Stick-Swinging Incident
9 miles of bad road
9 miles of bad road

Unread post by Stick-Swinging Incident » Tue Oct 28, 2008 9:02 pm

Nah he's a self righteous troll. (are there worse kinds? Probably are but I tend not to read posts by em.)

Lets see, first post, starts slamming everyone working at Berlitz as brown nosing scabs... (No generalizations here at all mind you.)
Then decides that he is going to start pointing fingers and flinging :poo:

Go back to the Union bucko, they'll protect your job for you, cause lord knows, without em, you'd sure as hell lose it. :rotfl:
[i][size=150][color=#4040FF] §[/color][/size][/i]

strongbad
Eikaiwa Lifer
Eikaiwa Lifer

Unread post by strongbad » Tue Oct 28, 2008 9:52 pm

I thought he might be Tomorokunobita whatsis face for a bit, but his/her/its M.O. was to send really really insulting PMs.

ole scoobycando here is happy enough with it all out in the open. Das some mai-tee fine trollin.

Stick-Swinging Incident
9 miles of bad road
9 miles of bad road

Unread post by Stick-Swinging Incident » Tue Oct 28, 2008 11:11 pm

Alright! Dick swinger, now thats cool! Least its big enough to swing, shame you can't say the same.

Love the fact that you pretend that you read the other forums... more likely you read the "Posts by users".

Pause... should I bother feeding this troll? hmmm... nah... he's not worth my time. He's got nothing... is nothing...

Back to your obscure socialist rantings... quote me some Marx!!! Love that shit! :haha:

Robo bigfoot
Fresh & Minty
Fresh & Minty

Unread post by Robo bigfoot » Tue Oct 28, 2008 11:17 pm

scoobycando wrote:dick-swinger,
Noticed on some earlier post that you brew your own beer. It must be hard for a struggling ex-nova teacher to find enough change under the pillow to buy a real beer ! Lord knows 220Yen is tough to come by these days. Perhaps if you had a union to support you, that bathroom distillery could just be a distant dream! But hey, sounds like your living the good life! To sound off on your last incompetent post would be like criticizing a child's drawing for not understanding perspective. From English teacher to bootlegger -A fairytale in the making .
I don't understand this post(troll?). By mocking home brewing you're more or less insulting hobby farming, self reliance, and the concept of thrift all at once. How are any of these bad things?

Stick-Swinging Incident
9 miles of bad road
9 miles of bad road

Unread post by Stick-Swinging Incident » Tue Oct 28, 2008 11:24 pm

Maybe he has tasted some of my hooch! :rotfl:

I definately do the home brew for the cheapness, seeing as how it cost just about 300 yen a 633 ml bottle... Its a STEAL... not including the time and energy...

Couldn't be for the taste or anything. Nah, as an Ex drone all I need is alcohol and plenty of it, HIGH TEST! Guarenteed to get your eyesight back in 3 days.

Think he's gonna go bully some elementary school kids soon...

Stick-Swinging Incident
9 miles of bad road
9 miles of bad road

Unread post by Stick-Swinging Incident » Tue Oct 28, 2008 11:43 pm

scoobycando wrote:Dick-swinger,
Halloween isn't for another few days so please stop scaring reader with your gag-inducing post. I know impressing the gals by flashing your learners permit isn't working for you nowadays but neither are these rants of an obsolete farm plow like yourself. Remember to take off your helmet once the car is parked!

Dear reader... (yes the ONE who might be scared by my gag inducing POST... again, singular)
Don't read, you might gag.

To the rest of you lot, read on... but take your motion sickness pills just in case.

So scoobs... you got anything related to ANYTHING or are you a bot with some preprogrammed crap that you spit out. Since your post has NOTHING to do with what I posted, I'm thinking the latter...

Mind you, if you ARE looking up put downs on the net, go to a different site, those ones are lame, mind you, might be the only ones you get when you read em so... go with what you know I guess.

So anyways, whats your story Scooby... you got one or you just a troll with no bridge to hide under these days?
Berlitz shit can your ass or something? Get tossed out of the girls bathroom because you only dress like a girl? Whats your damage?

(oh and please DO continue to post, I find the lameness quite refreshing...)

GeorgeEikaiwa
Fresh & Minty
Fresh & Minty

Unread post by GeorgeEikaiwa » Tue Oct 28, 2008 11:49 pm

Scoobycando, you sure have alot of good one liners! You seem to be annoyed by all the standbys around Berlitz these days and I don't blame you. It is pretty annoying for me too. I guess some people just have nothing better to do then sit in an office all day waiting to cover strikes. The funny thing is, those same people think they are going to be moving up to management.