Gaba English Schools: WARNING FOR ALL!

A forum for discussing eikaiwa and teaching-related issues.
Forum rules
The basic forum rules are here :wink: . Refer to the BBCode Guide for information on using BBCode tags, plus this post about additional tags for embedding video.
Keleidoscope
Eikaiwa Hero
Eikaiwa Hero

Re: Gaba English Schools: WARNING FOR ALL!

Unread post by Keleidoscope » Sun Apr 27, 2008 9:07 pm

Despite the crappy pay and sometimes long hours with a lot of unpaid downtime, I still found the job much more enjoyable than Nova, and loved the flexibility. If the lesson rate was a little better, I'd say it would be a pretty good job.
Yes it's been a while :)

sex_sensei
Jaded Veteran
Jaded Veteran

still a better gig than NOVA

Unread post by sex_sensei » Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:21 am

Exactly, Kalaidascope. I've worked for both and, overall, I'm happy enough to stay at GABA for various reasons. Granted, it's unpaid, but the freedom to take off whenever you want-- for up to a month-- with no questions asked is great. AND... no kids classes, no baffling 'observations' from condescending, fresh-out-of-uni 'trainers' with no life or work experience to take you aside 'for a word'. At the very least, I'm treated like an intelligent adult at GABA. That has some real value to me. If you are any kind of a teacher at all with any personality, your lesson bookings increase over time to the point where you are 100% booked. Like anything else, if it works for you (as it does for me), great. If it doesn't, the individual should quit bitching and move on to another school that works for them. :wink:
Nobody gets out alive-- Jim Morrison

Tall Tall Tree
Cassandra
Cassandra

Re: still a better gig than NOVA

Unread post by Tall Tall Tree » Mon Apr 28, 2008 2:51 pm

Lamarr wrote:What's your opinion of Gaba charging 8,000 yen per lesson to students, but only paying @ 1,500 of that to the instructor? Does that bother you at all that the company is ripping the students off completely, pocketing 6,500 yen each time?
For what it's worth, at my current job doing web programming, my boss charges US$85 an hour for my work and gives me $14 of it.

sex_sensei
Jaded Veteran
Jaded Veteran

Re: still a better gig than NOVA

Unread post by sex_sensei » Tue Apr 29, 2008 9:47 am

Lamarr wrote:What's your opinion of Gaba charging 8,000 yen per lesson to students, but only paying @ 1,500 of that to the instructor? Does that bother you at all that the company is ripping the students off completely, pocketing 6,500 yen each time?
Umm, where do I begin? How about with a business primer. You write as though the owners/shareholders of GABA keep 6500 en PROFIT per lesson, conveniently overlooking the reality that they have massive operating costs such as building rent (not cheap in the areas they have branches), utilities, advertising, refurbishing each school with their nice woodwork, booths, Japanese staff salaries, impressive IT network upkeep that distinguishes them from other eikaiwa, etc.

GABA, financially, has been in a precarious position and always just above the profitable bottom line between failure and success. They are not making this a cash cow-- although they would like to. If you took the risk of opening a school wouldn't you? I would. That's capitalism at its finest, man. Furthermore, how did you feel about NOVA charging 4 students 2000 en for their group lesson (the same 8000 en) and paying the instructor 1250 en for 40 minutes? Your argument would apply to paying the bartender 500 en for the bottle of beer he paid 100 en for. It's outrageous! :beer: "Those bastards at 'Pig and Whistle' are ripping me off!" you scream. But they aren't. They have merely found a price point that the consumer is willing to pay, like GABA.

So much of what we buy in Japan is vastly overpriced and lacks 'value'. Don't even get me started on mobile phone service here. The consumer is fucked here wherever they go due to collusion, 'fees' and such. How about the minimum 200,000 en shaken for your 3-year-old like-new car?

japansmith

Unread post by japansmith » Tue Apr 29, 2008 9:55 pm

Lamarr wrote:
sex_sensei wrote:
Lamarr wrote:What's your opinion of Gaba charging 8,000 yen per lesson to students, ..................................speak for more than just me on here if I ask you to be more clear about what your role is at Gaba. Because at the moment you're looking somewhat fake.
You're a bit of a tool, aren't you lamarr? A bit like that dickhead on the word in the uk of the same name. He's making a relevant point whether you care for it or not. It does make sense, not because he may be the head of GABA (which he's/she's probably not) but because the points s/he make add up, unlike your completely unfocussed, madman-like ramble. If you want some cursory evidence on his post check out the GABA share-price history. It's not a rosy affair.
But you are entitled to your rambles, all lunatics need them occasionally, helps balance their 'other' personality, I think.

InTheColdLightOfDay
9 miles of bad road
9 miles of bad road

Unread post by InTheColdLightOfDay » Tue Apr 29, 2008 10:48 pm

japansmith wrote: You're a bit of a tool, aren't you lamarr? A bit like that dickhead on the word in the uk of the same name.
Crikey. That's going back a bit. The Word.
My mate saw Mark Lamarr in a pub in Edinburgh once and offered to buy him a drink. Lamarr told him to fuck off. Aaaah... we've never let him forget that one.
Sorry, what was this thread about again?
Each monkeys has different face. It's very difficult to distinguish monkey's face, like we can't memorize foreigner's face.

sex_sensei
Jaded Veteran
Jaded Veteran

Unread post by sex_sensei » Wed Apr 30, 2008 1:53 pm

Lamarr wrote:Well if that's not a blatant plug for Gaba then I don't know what is (apart from the fact that you forgot to qualify booths with "stylish"). Again, you're spouting the company line, making excuses for what is a blatant rip-off. You're obviously on here to try to protect the company and its image, in case its recruitment gets affected by negative comments.

And you've been trying to make out that you're just an "ordinary" teacher. I get the impression that there's more to it than that - you're not just an "ordinary" teacher, you have at least an additional role to that within the company.

I'm sure I speak for more than just me on here if I ask you to be more clear about what your role is at Gaba. Because at the moment you're looking somewhat fake.
'Blatant plug' for GABA? I offered a rational and well-founded response to your erroneous comments about GABA being a rip-off. You said nothing about the 8000 en NOVA/G.spot gets for its 40-minute lesson or the apt beer analogy I laid out. Why not?

Here is the situation: I'm a drone, A Belt, the lowest on the GABA pay scale. As of April 1 I make 1500 en/lesson. Now follow along here because here is where it gets confusing: I don't suggest that anyone go with GABA because of what I wrote or that they leave because of what you wrote. Everyone has to decide for themselves. I am infinitely happier at GABA than I was at NOVA and I sure as hell wouldn't get caught up in the shit ALT gigs through Interac or their ilk. If you can't follow simple logic and the nature of how profitable businesses work, you probably shouldn't be on a board like this. Apparently the challenge to your processing power is overwhelming.

Guy-Jean Dailleult
Fresh & Minty
Fresh & Minty

Unread post by Guy-Jean Dailleult » Wed Apr 30, 2008 6:35 pm

Sorry, but the beer analogy doesn't fly. Gaba is a middleman, like all middlemen they provide a service by bringing buyers and sellers together. People use the middleman's service because either a) buyers and sellers don't know how to find each other, or because b) they do know how but find it a hassle, and so it is easier and more effective to use the middleman's service. A bar however is not a middleman - it's purpose is not to bring buyers and sellers of beer together. Everybody knows where they can buy beer for the same price that the bar did, and that it is very easy to do. They go to the bar and happily pay the mark-up in price because they feel they get added enjoyment and value by drinking the beer in that bar. The only way the beer argument would make any sense would be if all Gaba students were informed of the wages teachers were being paid, and the price they would be willing to teach for if both sides were not using Gaba's middleman service. If they then chose to continue at Gaba because they felt Gaba provided added value that justified the added price, it would then be like the bar situation.
Basically it is the difference between one business being free to sell for whatever price they want (the bar), and a middleman (Gaba) taking advantage of it's position in the middle of the business arrangement to gouge the other two sides. But then that is probably what the middleman will always try to do if he can get away with it. And it looks like Gaba can, so they do.

Hollis Brown
Jaded Veteran
Jaded Veteran

Unread post by Hollis Brown » Wed Apr 30, 2008 10:59 pm

Have to agree with the comment above. Spot on.
"He actually has a layer of feathers growing on his face!! How is that humanly possible?! If you deep-fried a whole potato, then stuck a steel-wool pad on it and left it to rust, you'de have an uncanny miniature duplicate of Anders!"
Sir Fart Ass - Comedy gold

InTheColdLightOfDay
9 miles of bad road
9 miles of bad road

Unread post by InTheColdLightOfDay » Wed Apr 30, 2008 11:01 pm

So are we not talking about Mark Lamarr anymore?
Each monkeys has different face. It's very difficult to distinguish monkey's face, like we can't memorize foreigner's face.

sex_sensei
Jaded Veteran
Jaded Veteran

are we really even working?

Unread post by sex_sensei » Thu May 01, 2008 9:40 am

Lord Percy wrote:
Lamarr wrote:
What's your opinion of Gaba charging 8,000 yen per lesson to students, but only paying @ 1,500 of that to the instructor? Does that bother you at all that the company is ripping the students off completely, pocketing 6,500 yen each time?
Welcome to Berlitz, though they charge the student 8,500 yen per lesson, the instructor gets, yep 1,500 yen per lesson.
Welcome to NOVA or ____ (insert your preferred eikaiwa here), they charged 8000 en for the 'Man to Man' lesson whereby the lone student bought out the other three seats. GABA, Berlitz, etc. charge the 'going rate' and they pay the 'going rate. If you are a student and find 8000 en for 40 minutes offensive (I do and I teach at GABA)-- DON'T SIGN UP! If you're an instructor and find the 1500 en/lesson pay rate offensive and a rip-off-- DON'T TAKE THE POSITION! End of story.

Unless someone here can guide me to a sweet university gig that pays 400,000 en per month, I'll keep chatting with students for 1500 en for 40 minutes. It beats working my ass off at McDonalds for 850 en for a full hour. That puts it in perspective, I hope. We English teachers are a lazy lot, we're lucky they pay us at all for our 'work'. :wink:

Guy-Jean Dailleult
Fresh & Minty
Fresh & Minty

Unread post by Guy-Jean Dailleult » Thu May 01, 2008 1:39 pm

sex_sensei wrote:Unless someone here can guide me to a sweet university gig that pays 400,000 en per month, I'll keep chatting with students for 1500 en for 40 minutes. It beats working my ass off at McDonalds for 850 en for a full hour.
When I showed up in Japan in the mid-90's I met people who were here teaching English so they could get the money together to buy a house back in their home country. Regular job at an eikaiwa of around 25 hours a week, with a part-time job or two at a high school or college, and maybe a couple of privates. And they did it. Even knew a guy who bought an apartment block, and an old-timer who already had his house with what he had made in Japan during the bubble years.
Hey, I know those days are long ago, long gone and gone forever. And that the money was in large part made on the back of exorbitant prices and dodgy business practices. But I am having trouble getting my head around the difference between "teach English so you can buy a house" and "teach English so you don't have to work at McDonalds". Of course, sex_sensei is factually 100% correct -working at Gaba would be better than working at McDonalds. But wow, that is one amazing difference. Have things really sunk that low???

chimpsky
Hopeless Drone
Hopeless Drone

Unread post by chimpsky » Thu May 01, 2008 2:15 pm

Guy-Jean Dailleult wrote: When I showed up in Japan in the mid-90's I met people who were here teaching English so they could get the money together to buy a house back in their home country. Regular job at an eikaiwa of around 25 hours a week, with a part-time job or two at a high school or college, and maybe a couple of privates. And they did it. Even knew a guy who bought an apartment block, and an old-timer who already had his house with what he had made in Japan during the bubble years.
Hey, I know those days are long ago, long gone and gone forever. And that the money was in large part made on the back of exorbitant prices and dodgy business practices. But I am having trouble getting my head around the difference between "teach English so you can buy a house" and "teach English so you don't have to work at McDonalds". Of course, sex_sensei is factually 100% correct -working at Gaba would be better than working at McDonalds. But wow, that is one amazing difference. Have things really sunk that low???

Unfortunately that is the way of the eikaiwa market nowadays and with companies continually driving wages to the ground eikaiwa teaching (GABA et al.) is sometimes just a step above working at a fast-food company. However, I maybe one of the few people here on the board that fit under the mold of "teaching English to teach English" and I can tell you under that model it has landed me excellent opportunities that allow me to develop both as learner and teacher, while being compensated fairly reasonable for today's job market standards and at least above the average eikaiwa wages... teaching English in Japan has now become a marathon, those who can really gut it out and actually "teach to teach" will be rewarded quite well both intrinsically and extrinsically in the end. Those are my 2 cents..

Wage Slave
Shockproof shit detector
Shockproof shit detector

Unread post by Wage Slave » Thu May 01, 2008 2:33 pm

chimpsky wrote: Unfortunately that is the way of the eikaiwa market nowadays and with companies continually driving wages to the ground eikaiwa teaching (GABA et al.) is sometimes just a step above working at a fast-food company. However, I maybe one of the few people here on the board that fit under the mold of "teaching English to teach English" and I can tell you under that model it has landed me excellent opportunities that allow me to develop both as learner and teacher, while being compensated fairly reasonable for today's job market standards and at least above the average eikaiwa wages... teaching English in Japan has now become a marathon, those who can really gut it out and actually "teach to teach" will be rewarded quite well both intrinsically and extrinsically in the end. Those are my 2 cents..
I think English teaching everywhere is a bit like this. There are a lot of cowboy employers and a lot of people who teach English as a temporary expedient. If you are prepared to outlast and outstudy them then you can earn reasonable (but not amazing) money and get to meet an awful lot of really nice people. If you want to get into proper management (Not 90% of private language schools) then that is possible too and of course the financial rewards go up. Compared to what I see people doing to earn a living I am very happy with the choice I made.
Don't hesitate to spoil the ship for a ha'porth of tar. You'll get credit for saving the ha'penny and someone else will get the blame for losing the ship.

MacGyver
Shockproof shit detector
Shockproof shit detector

Unread post by MacGyver » Thu May 01, 2008 6:38 pm

Guy-Jean Dailleult wrote:Of course, sex_sensei is factually 100% correct -working at Gaba would be better than working at McDonalds. But wow, that is one amazing difference. Have things really sunk that low???
Really? I dunno. McDonalds has some benefits that GABA can't offer. The only area that GABA beats Macs is per hour wage, but even then, work hard and long, and you'd prolly make more at Macs than GABA! :P

I initially wrote that reply in jest but the more I think about it, the more it has merit. Honestly, eikaiwa has fallen so low that it is barely, if at all, above fast food joints.
"Yous guys talk a lotta shit. I'm much more smarter than all a yous." - Samurai Jerk after being owned by the Let's Japan crew.

sex_sensei
Jaded Veteran
Jaded Veteran

Unread post by sex_sensei » Fri May 02, 2008 8:38 am

MacGyver wrote:[I initially wrote that reply in jest but the more I think about it, the more it has merit. Honestly, eikaiwa has fallen so low that it is barely, if at all, above fast food joints.
Exactly. From day one I exposed the reality of the English school teacher in the last sentence or two of my signature line-- poor pay and working conditions, no job security, lack of status, etc. (you can read it below).

Like 90% of foreigners here, my Japanese ability is modest (many have none at all) and I don't read/write kanji. Ergo, our employment options are severely limited. So, we take what jobs/pay are out there and make do. We do it for whatever reason we have for staying in Japan. Sad, isn't it!

behan
Hopeless Drone
Hopeless Drone

Unread post by behan » Fri May 02, 2008 6:49 pm

I agree. Eikaiwa has gotten a lot worse. Now I am an ALT but the jobs I see posted on gaijinpot.com are getting worse and worse. Lower pay, less pay or no pay for school holidays, hourly pay instead of a salary, etc.

Guy-Jean Dailleult
Fresh & Minty
Fresh & Minty

Unread post by Guy-Jean Dailleult » Mon May 12, 2008 11:20 am

Lamarr wrote:To be honest, I think the eikaiwa salaries were over-inflated back in the bubble years. What we're seeing now is a realistic salary for what eikaiwa is, ie talking to people. There's no qualifications or skill needed for that. I'd pay maybe 1,000 yen for an unqualified, un-experienced Japanese so-called instructor to sit down and talk to for 40 minutes.
I think Lamarr is right with what he says. But the big question is can the eikaiwa business, and also the school / university dispatch business, survive if they are paying salaries that are realistic in terms of what the job actually is. And it doesn't matter if the drop in salaries is due to exploitation of the teaching staff or just a weakening in the demand for English (I think it is a combination of both myself). The problem is that we have already crossed the line where working as an English teacher in Japan, when you consider salaries, hours, work conditions, job security, etc. no longer makes much sense, unless maybe you have had a good job for a few years and they havn't gotten around to cutting your salary yet. But for newbies or people who need to find a new teaching job, forget it. You are better off staying, or if you can, going home (IMHO)! Now maybe there are enough English speakers here in Japan for non-financial reasons - like Japanophiles, Japanese language students, martial arts students, J-Girl junkies, or just otherwise stuck in Japan types - to staff the eikaiwa / dispatch businesses, I don't know. But it is a labor-intensive business and at a certain point the labor supply will dry up, it is just a question of where that point is. And then it won't matter if the salaries are realistic or not, the schools will have to chose between raising salaries or going under.

To use a probably stupid analogy, it all comes down to this. In the last few years, say since the start of the decade, the people who run the English teaching business in Japan seem to have gotten it into their heads that English teachers are monkeys who grow on trees. Now they may be monkeys, but they don't grow on trees and more importantly don't grow in this part of the jungle. Salaries and conditions used to reflect the fact that the monkeys had to be attracted to this part of the jungle (even though they were just monkeys). But then lots of monkeys showed up, and they forgot that fact. Thought they didn't have to bother keeping their part of the jungle in good condition because they had lots of monkeys to do their work for them. Cut down lots of trees etc. And then one day in the not so distant future they will wake up and realize that the monkeys are gone, moved on to other, better parts of the jungle, and no new monkeys are coming.

Hey, I said it was stupid, but that is how I see it.

InTheColdLightOfDay
9 miles of bad road
9 miles of bad road

Unread post by InTheColdLightOfDay » Mon May 12, 2008 1:21 pm

Monkeys are awesome.

S-B
Jaded Veteran
Jaded Veteran

Unread post by S-B » Mon May 12, 2008 5:04 pm

Guy-Jean Dailleult wrote:
Lamarr wrote:To use a probably stupid analogy, it all comes down to this. In the last few years, say since the start of the decade, the people who run the English teaching business in Japan seem to have gotten it into their heads that English teachers are monkeys who grow on trees. Now they may be monkeys, but they don't grow on trees and more importantly don't grow in this part of the jungle. Salaries and conditions used to reflect the fact that the monkeys had to be attracted to this part of the jungle (even though they were just monkeys). But then lots of monkeys showed up, and they forgot that fact. Thought they didn't have to bother keeping their part of the jungle in good condition because they had lots of monkeys to do their work for them. Cut down lots of trees etc. And then one day in the not so distant future they will wake up and realize that the monkeys are gone, moved on to other, better parts of the jungle, and no new monkeys are coming.

Hey, I said it was stupid, but that is how I see it.
I think that's an excellent analogy myself.

I'm curious though. Has this affected the salaries of people qualified in teaching at all? How have these dropped off?

My two cents:
I have met teachers who are qualified and shite, and unqualified and great. Thing is though, as an "unqualified" teacher I know my place is bottom pile, regardless of experience.

The one thing Eikaiwa did was show me how much I enjoyed trying to teach a class. I would never have considered getting into teaching if it wasn't for coming out to Japan, and if I go back in the future I'd definitely consider it as a career option.

For now, I know my place - and I do my best for my students (I don't work for an eikaiwa - it's only a small school). I suggest ideas to improve students English, but I never try to pretend that I know everything. I've gained a lot of experience thanks to some excellent hands-on training with qualified teachers, both English and Japanese, but until I get the credentials then I won't consider myself a real teacher. In public school, "sensei" is only honourary, and in my other schools I try to encourage my students not to call me that.

japansmith

Unread post by japansmith » Mon May 19, 2008 3:15 am

sex_sensei wrote:!
Hey, sex_sensei,

I stuck up for you saying that you weren't just an advertising guy for GABA spouting off about how great it is. Rereading your posts, while you don't really sell it per se, you certainly plug it as an option to consider (which is maybe correct, I don't know). Tell me, for what it's worth, what are the bad points for working at GABA. I never really hated NOVA (I wasn't near my AAM or BT so I didn't have any stress, I saw them about once a month) so admittedly, I couldn't easily go on about how bad NOVA was/is, but what're some things that you see at GABA and you think, "That's just wrong". Give me some negative vibes about GABA. Afterall, you are posting on the BIG, BAD GABA thread.

Help me win a discussion I'm currently having over you.

sex_sensei
Jaded Veteran
Jaded Veteran

Unread post by sex_sensei » Wed May 21, 2008 9:20 am

japansmith wrote:
Hey, sex_sensei,

I stuck up for you saying that you weren't just an advertising guy for GABA spouting off about how great it is. Rereading your posts, while you don't really sell it per se, you certainly plug it as an option to consider (which is maybe correct, I don't know). Tell me, for what it's worth, what are the bad points for working at GABA. I never really hated NOVA (I wasn't near my AAM or BT so I didn't have any stress, I saw them about once a month) so admittedly, I couldn't easily go on about how bad NOVA was/is, but what're some things that you see at GABA and you think, "That's just wrong". Give me some negative vibes about GABA. Afterall, you are posting on the BIG, BAD GABA thread.

Gladly. As I have said, I am just an A Belt teacher in the trenches. I had such a bad experience with NOVA (4 years there) that GABA, in comparison, is definitely a huge improvement. The negatives, then:

1. No paid vacation (although you can schedule yourself an unpaid vacation about any time, for any length).

2. No commuter pass compensation (however, mine is just 4200 en a month).

3. All training is unpaid and if you advance up the belt system to B, C, D levels you would be spending a lot of days in the classroom unpaid... ALTHOUGH... your per-lesson rate increases with each module. So, that's a trade-off. If you're planning to stick with GABA for a year or more it would be worth your while.

4. Periods where you don't have students are unpaid, so you could have gaps in your daily schedule. My schedule stays fairly booked so I personally can't complain about that too much.

That's about all the gripes I have. Again, eikaiwa is a tough gig these days and the jobs and salaries aren't what they were 10 years ago. I'm happy enough with what I have going with GABA so I'm staying for a while. Each person has to decide for themselves whether they are content.

allblacks

Unread post by allblacks » Wed May 21, 2008 1:00 pm

That's about all the gripes I have. Again, eikaiwa is a tough gig these days and the jobs and salaries aren't what they were 10 years ago. I'm happy enough with what I have going with GABA so I'm staying for a while. Each person has to decide for themselves whether they are content.
Ten years ago the pay wasnt much better! The "industry" had gone through a drought and many people I knew in Osaka were always complaining about how crap the scene was.

I think you meant 20 years ago.

japansmith

Unread post by japansmith » Wed May 21, 2008 3:18 pm

sex_sensei wrote:Gladly. As I have said, I am just an A Belt teacher in the trenches. I had such a bad experience with NOVA (4 years there) that GABA, in comparison, is definitely a huge improvement. The negatives, then:

1. No paid vacation (although you can schedule yourself an unpaid vacation about any time, for any length).

3. All training is unpaid and if you advance up the belt system to B, C, D levels you would be spending a lot of days in the classroom unpaid... ALTHOUGH... your per-lesson rate increases with each module. So, that's a trade-off. If you're planning to stick with GABA for a year or more it would be worth your while.

4. Periods where you don't have students are unpaid, so you could have gaps in your daily schedule. My schedule stays fairly booked so I personally can't complain about that too much.

Thanks you sexy sensei.
quod erat demonstrandum (although this has bugger all to do with mathmatics)

Japan wins every time. It's just a matter of ping pong balls in sand during an earthquake-like event, the force with which it pops up is unbelievable. Add to that Smithsonian babble and you have an unstoppable force within the eikaiwa industry. Japansmith, is s/he a god? Maybe, but J. clearly has gender issues....

Mogura
Porn Lord
Porn Lord

Unread post by Mogura » Mon May 26, 2008 5:21 pm

sex_sensei wrote:
japansmith wrote:
Hey, sex_sensei,

Gladly. As I have said, I am just an A Belt teacher in the trenches. I had such a bad experience with NOVA (4 years there) that GABA, in comparison, is definitely a huge improvement. The negatives, then:

sex_sensei,

Would you be interested in doing an objective write-up for Gaba in the GBU forum? I just created a new thread for them, so it would be nice to have a balanced opinion from someone...
Lick my troll, goosh... :bird:

chimpsky
Hopeless Drone
Hopeless Drone

Unread post by chimpsky » Wed Jun 04, 2008 9:39 pm

sex_sensei wrote:

do they reimburse you for regular travel expenses though? echoing Mog's sentiment it'd be great if you could do a write-up of GABA as you seem to have a fairly objective view of it

sex_sensei
Jaded Veteran
Jaded Veteran

my final word

Unread post by sex_sensei » Thu Jun 05, 2008 1:23 pm

chimpsky wrote:
sex_sensei wrote:

do they reimburse you for regular travel expenses though? echoing Mog's sentiment it'd be great if you could do a write-up of GABA as you seem to have a fairly objective view of it
No, they don't pay any travel expenses at all. Fortunately, as I said, mine are pretty low. I don't know about full-time GABA employees (salaried, both J-staff and gaijin), they may be reimbursed.

Everything I have already said about GABA in this thread's 5 pages is about all I have to say. In short, eikaiwa is a tough gig these days, pay is low and getting lower everywhere and competition for the truly good positions is fierce. GABA isn't great, it has it pluses and minuses, but I am fine with it. That said, I am still happier at GABA than at NOVA. I could not get out of that NOVA hell hole fast enough, even before it collapsed. On a scale of 1-10, with 10 being the best of all worlds, I would rate GABA about a 6. Others will see if differently-- higher and lower-- and that is fine with me.

generalunionone
Fresh & Minty
Fresh & Minty

Unread post by generalunionone » Mon Jun 09, 2008 5:12 pm

www.gaba.generalunion.org

GABA Teachers Win a Pay Increase!
Yen Sign 100-200yen per lesson increase GABA teachers have unionized and are seeing direct results. Shortly into negotiations the company announced an across the board increase of 100yen per lesson for teachers: an increase of over 6% for the lowest paid teachers. Belta teachers have received an increase of 200yen per lesson: an increase of 10% for many. Depending on the number of lessons taught, that is a monthly pay increase of 15,000 - 40,000yen per month.

Unionization has brought results!

That isn't the only change that unionization has brought. The company has also increased contract lengths from 4 to 6 months.

There is more to win!

Negotiations have now stalled over doing away with this absurd sub-contractor (itaku) system and winning the rights associated with employment. You are employees with GABA controlling your working life nd should have the benefits. By classifying you as sub-contractors (itaku) GABA is able to deny you the rights to paid annual leave, premium hourly rates, unemployment insurance, and health and pension benefits.

The union is preparing a campaign to win paid leave. Be part of it and contact the union to find out how you can apply for leave.

Email: gaba@generalunion.org or call 050-3618-3096

For union members: Download the leave application form.

GABA Teachers Lose Out:

* NO paid holidays
* NO unemployment insurance
* NO health and pension insurance
* NO overtime and premium rates
* NO guaranteed salary
* NO job security
* NO right to challenge unfair dismissals

What To Do

* Step 1 - Join the union now if you haven't already.
* Step 2 - Ask the union how to apply for your paid holidays.
* Step 3 - Start talking to your coworkers.
* Step 4 - As a group we demand the Labor Standards Office investigate Gaba.
* Step 5 - You, the teachers, help us decide our next level of action.

sex_sensei
Jaded Veteran
Jaded Veteran

per the above union membership drive

Unread post by sex_sensei » Mon Jun 09, 2008 11:22 pm

:eyes: OK, now that I've picked myself off the floor after laughing my ass off, I'll respond. I saw how effective the union was during the many years of NOVA's reign of terror. I further saw their emasculated efforts during the final weeks before bankruptcy. How about this: I join your union, I pay my fees then you pay 80% of my wages as all union teachers strike and refuse to teach until reasonable conditions are met. You know, like a real union does. In other words, you put your money where your mouth is. Oh, you're not a real union? I'm sorry.

I'm not a cheerleader for GABA as I know they have negatives that need to be addressed, but I wouldn't piss on this spineless 'union' if they were on fire. Give me a fuckin' break. :guns:

jon
Eikaiwa Hero
Eikaiwa Hero

Re: per the above union membership drive

Unread post by jon » Tue Jun 10, 2008 12:33 am

sex_sensei wrote::eyes: OK, now that I've picked myself off the floor after laughing my ass off, I'll respond. I saw how effective the union was during the many years of NOVA's reign of terror. I further saw their emasculated efforts during the final weeks before bankruptcy. How about this: I join your union, I pay my fees then you pay 80% of my wages as all union teachers strike and refuse to teach until reasonable conditions are met. You know, like a real union does. In other words, you put your money where your mouth is. Oh, you're not a real union? I'm sorry.

I'm not a cheerleader for GABA as I know they have negatives that need to be addressed, but I wouldn't piss on this spineless 'union' if they were on fire. Give me a fuckin' break. :guns:
This is what one could describe as a knee jerk reaction. I've seen a lot of them on this topic. As I have mentioned before, I think it has more to do with general negativitity towards collectivism than it has to do with the failings of unions per se; although I am sure that ex sensei himself is a regular contributor to a number of NGOs and commuty enterprises in his sphere of operations.