The End of G.com Thread

A forum for discussing eikaiwa and teaching-related issues.
Forum rules
The basic forum rules are here :wink: . Refer to the BBCode Guide for information on using BBCode tags, plus this post about additional tags for embedding video.
In The Know
Cassandra
Cassandra

Re: The End of G.com Thread

Unread post by In The Know » Sat Feb 21, 2009 10:17 pm

InTheColdLightOfDay wrote:They may just end up dramatically downsizing.
Under that scenario I ask, rhetorically: would students who saw their nearest/ neighborhood G.Con branch close have merit in suing for refunds? As a student who was sold on NOVA's assurance of 'close, local convenience of a school near your home', if they 'dramatically downsized' and I had to spend (round-trip) 90 minutes and 1200 yen on train fare to get to the nearest branch, I would be hot! Not that G.Com would care but...

InTheColdLightOfDay
9 miles of bad road
9 miles of bad road

Unread post by InTheColdLightOfDay » Sat Feb 21, 2009 10:43 pm

In The Know wrote: would students who saw their nearest/ neighborhood G.Con branch close have merit in suing for refunds?
From what I gather, students now buy much smaller packages of tickets. So many tickets per month seems to be the norm. So any refund would be minimal at best.
In The Know wrote:if they 'dramatically downsized' and I had to spend (round-trip) 90 minutes and 1200 yen on train fare to get to the nearest branch, I would be hot!
From what I've heard students travelling 90 minutes 1 WAY is not exactly a rarity at some branches.
Seriously, what's the appeal??
In The Know wrote: Not that G.Com would care but...
Exactly.
Each monkeys has different face. It's very difficult to distinguish monkey's face, like we can't memorize foreigner's face.

RandyDickson
Eikaiwa Hero
Eikaiwa Hero

Unread post by RandyDickson » Thu Feb 26, 2009 10:40 am

Almost a year ago today, I remember reading this on Let's Japan. (page 1 of this thread
Ex_sensei wrote:
In a private e-mail to each Japanese Area Manager, Inayoshi has threatened to shut-down NOVA if a profit isn't shown by the NOVA division by the end of March 2008.
One year later, and with the end of the financial year approaching, I wonder how things are looking. Any more threats of closure?
Even with pay cuts, school relocations etc, I can't see it being in the black yet...
[i]Life is but a walking shadow, a poor player that struts and frets his hour upon the stage and then is heard no more. It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.[/i][center][/center]

vadarfone
Enthusiastic Newbie
Enthusiastic Newbie

Unread post by vadarfone » Thu Feb 26, 2009 9:03 pm

exUsagiCoalMiner wrote:Ditto, but on the MMC computers. I always got in trouble for having all my comments done within 5 minutes of the start bell ringing.
Haha, I worked in Nova years back, and on a Sunday when it was just a Aussie chick and myself, we used to get in early, and fill out all the comments in all of the files for the whole day before we started. Then we would just waltz into lessons, talk to the people for a bit and drink genki drinks until we were done.

Heady days, I can tell you! Haha.

Namekuji
Fresh & Minty
Fresh & Minty

Unread post by Namekuji » Thu Feb 26, 2009 9:55 pm

AAHH! Love yer work Vadarfone!! A few years back in the Novas of sunny sunny Shikoku, we Loved our Pre lesson comment writing too. One of our super kiwi eikiwa heros had his 'No Comment Sundays' too. (ie, its sunday, No comment, No record,...Im not doing anything today, but going into the booth, entertainting the folks and myself, and thats Sunday). (Great to see the staff running out and hassling us for a comment on our 10min smoko).. I always loved giving Level Up slips for 'No Shows'....surprising how many times they were seconded. :D ...Do they still have those now??? Anyway,, if they do, hand em out! Sail them as paper airplanes above the cubicles, make a voice game out of it (...oops wrong thread perhaps)...if they are valued so much (comments, level-up slips, Level status)...surely a game could be made of this. GO LJ! YALL ROCK!
a drink needs me, I don't.

vadarfone
Enthusiastic Newbie
Enthusiastic Newbie

Unread post by vadarfone » Thu Feb 26, 2009 10:40 pm

:)

SamhainP8
Dronus japonica
Dronus japonica

Unread post by SamhainP8 » Thu Feb 26, 2009 10:55 pm

RandyDickson wrote:One year later, and with the end of the financial year approaching, I wonder how things are looking. Any more threats of closure?
Took this on a recent trip to Hiroshima:

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

"Do you know how a falcon is trained, my dear? Her eyes are sewn shut. Blinded temporarily, she suffers the whims of her God patiently, until her will is submerged and she learns to serve - as your God taught and blinded you with crosses."

inflames
9 miles of bad road
9 miles of bad road

Unread post by inflames » Fri Feb 27, 2009 12:34 am

SamhainP8 wrote:
RandyDickson wrote:One year later, and with the end of the financial year approaching, I wonder how things are looking. Any more threats of closure?

There`s still one in Umeda and one in Tennoji.

I will say that I found it pretty ironic that Inayoshi was in some newspaper saying the old NOVAs were too big and they right sized everything (most of that I can see, but not all of them). Of course, this was around the time of ECC Umeda`s relocation into the 24th floor of the Hankyu Grand Building (the former location of NOVA Umeda Honko).

MrX
Eikaiwa Lifer
Eikaiwa Lifer

Unread post by MrX » Mon Mar 16, 2009 8:47 am

inflames wrote:
SamhainP8 wrote:

There`s still one in Umeda and one in Tennoji.

I will say that I found it pretty ironic that Inayoshi was in some newspaper saying the old NOVAs were too big and they right sized everything (most of that I can see, but not all of them). Of course, this was around the time of ECC Umeda`s relocation into the 24th floor of the Hankyu Grand Building (the former location of NOVA Umeda Honko).
Right size everything? No they certainly did not. I've heard of some schools that have been losing piles of money on rent for property that's just far too big. These are places that got opened up when G.com took over.
"I believe what I said yesterday. I don't know what I said, but I know what I think, and, well, I assume it's what I said."

jon
Eikaiwa Hero
Eikaiwa Hero

Unread post by jon » Tue Aug 04, 2009 12:49 pm

Yes. If the group as whole, as well as the boss man personally, have been evading taxes that means they must be making some money. On that basis, should the shit hit the fan, they would probably get taken over. However, whether any new ownership group would want to continue with the eikaiwa side of it is certainly a deep unknown.