The End of G.com Thread

A forum for discussing eikaiwa and teaching-related issues.
Forum rules
The basic forum rules are here :wink: . Refer to the BBCode Guide for information on using BBCode tags, plus this post about additional tags for embedding video.
strongbad
Eikaiwa Lifer
Eikaiwa Lifer

Re: The End of G.com Thread

Unread post by strongbad » Tue Oct 28, 2008 1:11 pm

A friend still at the G-Spot tells me that Christmas is going to be unpaid holidays. Scrooge lives on in eikaiwa, apparently.

Anyone confirm this?

The Black Knight
Fresh & Minty
Fresh & Minty

Unread post by The Black Knight » Wed Oct 29, 2008 12:11 am

Wouldn't fucking suprise me.

If they tried to pull that one off only the truly truly desperate would come back after Christmas surely??

Mind you if they've stayed with it for so long until now I guess they'll just continue to take it up the shitter even more.

Japandy
Eikaiwa Hero
Eikaiwa Hero

Unread post by Japandy » Thu Oct 30, 2008 10:43 pm

I take the PH situation is true by the lack of responses. Sympathies to those still unfortunate to be there. Are they making money yet?

SNAFU
Asshat
Asshat

End of Year Holidays

Unread post by SNAFU » Fri Oct 31, 2008 7:54 am

A friend of mine who works at G.com/Nova told me the following regarding end of year holidays at G.com/Nova.

There will be no days off for Christmas. Business as usual, like most companies in Japan.

G.com/Nova will close at the end of the year from the 30th December to the 4th January. Six days.

'A' type instructors: Three of those six days will be paid. The other three can be taken as unpaid, shift-swapped or taken as paid holidays in the usual way.

'B' type instructors: The six days can be taken as paid holidays in the usual way or shift-swapped.

sex_sensei
Jaded Veteran
Jaded Veteran

Re: End of Year Holidays

Unread post by sex_sensei » Fri Oct 31, 2008 11:25 am

SNAFU wrote:
There will be no days off for Christmas. Business as usual, like most companies in Japan.

G.com/Nova will close at the end of the year from the 30th December to the 4th January. Six days....
:bdh: My sympathy for those still there. I almost feel like getting hired at G.Spot and staying for a couple weeks just to look around and see how NOT to run a company. From what I've seen since they took over, they took a mismanaged company and made things worse in all respects. So many times on these threads I've read comments like, "In retrospect, I guess the old NOVA wasn't so bad."

Assuming you go back to Oz, the U.K., America, etc., with one day travel time each way, that would leave you with four days at home under this Stalinist holiday scheme-- AND you can't leave until after Christmas. Clearly, the Japanese management doesn't have a lot of cultural understanding. Imagine a foreign company here telling its Japanese workers, "Oh, we're working January 1. Why do you ask?" :bird: you, G.Comm!
Nobody gets out alive-- Jim Morrison

SNAFU
Asshat
Asshat

Holiday entitlements

Unread post by SNAFU » Fri Oct 31, 2008 1:06 pm

It's possible, I believe, to use your annual paid holidays to take Christmas day off. Of course you can use your annual paid holidays to take Japanese Public Holdays off too. Although, if you are new to G.com/Nova, you will probably only receieve 10 paid holidays a year. So, you will not have enough annual holidays to cover all the public holidays you are not given by G.com/Nova. Also, for many, holidays do not kick-in until you have worked the first six months of your annual contract, which is renewed every year. So, there is always a period of six months where you have no holiday entitlements, unless you have carried some over from your previous contract.

allblacks

Unread post by allblacks » Sat Nov 01, 2008 7:25 pm

I was just reading the blog. Apparently some G com instructors have not been returned their degrees. Is this true? Anyone got more info?

Kuronama
Eikaiwa Hero
Eikaiwa Hero

Unread post by Kuronama » Mon Nov 03, 2008 8:04 pm

SNAFU wrote:A friend of mine who works at G.com/Nova told me the following regarding end of year holidays at G.com/Nova.

G.com/Nova will close at the end of the year from the 30th December to the 4th January. Six days.

'A' type instructors: Three of those six days will be paid. The other three can be taken as unpaid, shift-swapped or taken as paid holidays in the usual way.

'B' type instructors: The six days can be taken as paid holidays in the usual way or shift-swapped.

I can confirm this... Fax came through today. Its for real! This company is seriously fuckin TIGHT ASS! But this really doesnt surprise me, to be honest..

SamhainP8
Dronus japonica
Dronus japonica

Unread post by SamhainP8 » Tue Nov 04, 2008 8:01 am

Kuronama wrote:
SNAFU wrote:A friend of mine who works at G.com/Nova told me the following regarding end of year holidays at G.com/Nova.

'B' type instructors: The six days can be taken as paid holidays in the usual way or shift-swapped

I can confirm this... Fax came through today. Its for real! This company is seriously fuckin TIGHT ASS! But this really doesnt surprise me, to be honest..
How do you shift swap those 6 days with someone when the place is closed?????
"Do you know how a falcon is trained, my dear? Her eyes are sewn shut. Blinded temporarily, she suffers the whims of her God patiently, until her will is submerged and she learns to serve - as your God taught and blinded you with crosses."

Stick-Swinging Incident
9 miles of bad road
9 miles of bad road

Unread post by Stick-Swinging Incident » Tue Nov 04, 2008 9:46 am

Probably self swaps, you work 3 of your days off in the future, or before.

Basically if you want to keep your salary, you work extra. (and seeing as how its a short month, those deductions will be larger than a usual month.)

Good luck GCom-ers!
[i][size=150][color=#4040FF] §[/color][/size][/i]

fine-print
Enthusiastic Newbie
Enthusiastic Newbie

Unread post by fine-print » Tue Nov 04, 2008 3:47 pm

SamhainP8 wrote:
Kuronama wrote:

'B' type instructors: The six days can be taken as paid holidays in the usual way or shift-swapped

How do you shift swap those 6 days with someone when the place is closed?????
This is totally against there own contract. I.e. type A contract employees' salaries are based on the number of lessons they are scheduled to teach in a given month. With being closed for 6 days over the new year break, the type A instructors can't possibly be scheduled to work, they are simply scheduled to work for fewer lessons in Dec and Jan. They should still receive their full salary. If this wasn't the case, salaries would be different for each month based on the number of days worked. Anyone still at G.education should really take them to task over this before it's too late. The contract should be clear evidence enough. They may change the contract for the future but with the intellectual prowess they have displayed to date, I doubt anyone has had the forethought to alter the current contracts.

SNAFU
Asshat
Asshat

Computerized student files

Unread post by SNAFU » Tue Nov 04, 2008 11:35 pm

Nova/G.com are going to replace the present paper filing (files) system with a computerized system. Student lesson mark-off sheets, comment sheets and profiles will be kept on a computer bank which instructors can call-up on computers in the branches. This will provide more space and a cleaner, leaner working environment. It will also allow students to book a lesson at any branch.

quato
Jaded Veteran
Jaded Veteran

Unread post by quato » Wed Nov 05, 2008 12:05 am

Will the computers be in each classroom like at Gabba? Or will there be 20 teachers in the teachers' room fighting over an old 486 PC with a monochrome screen.

yoshifumi tanaka
Jaded Veteran
Jaded Veteran

Unread post by yoshifumi tanaka » Wed Nov 05, 2008 12:41 am

quato wrote:Will the computers be in each classroom like at Gabba? Or will there be 20 teachers in the teachers' room fighting over an old 486 PC with a monochrome screen.
and as Instructors are supposed to finish everything in the 2 mins after the bell, those computers are gonna have to work damn fast.
If it works it sounds good, but it sounds expensive for a very few number of students that would take advantage of it, especially in the boondocks.

Examination_Hell
Eikaiwa Hero
Eikaiwa Hero

Unread post by Examination_Hell » Wed Nov 05, 2008 1:27 am

quato wrote:Will the computers be in each classroom like at Gabba? Or will there be 20 teachers in the teachers' room fighting over an old 486 PC with a monochrome screen.
nah, most likely they'll lease the old cash registers that maccas has and just replace the "large fries" button with "needs adverb practice" or some such shite. :?: :huh:
Wake up, school, club activities, piano lessons, juku, [s]nova,[/s] english school, challenge school, homework, sleep, wake up, school...

SamhainP8
Dronus japonica
Dronus japonica

Unread post by SamhainP8 » Wed Nov 05, 2008 7:54 am

There goes the ability to fill out the files during the class, be out the door before the bell stops and do the mad dash from Apita-Minami to Doutoku station and catch the 9:04pm train etc. That help shift was always the highlight of my week and I didn’t miss the early train once. :thumbsup:
"Do you know how a falcon is trained, my dear? Her eyes are sewn shut. Blinded temporarily, she suffers the whims of her God patiently, until her will is submerged and she learns to serve - as your God taught and blinded you with crosses."

SNAFU
Asshat
Asshat

G.Com/Nova expects

Unread post by SNAFU » Wed Nov 05, 2008 1:25 pm

G.com/Nova expects their foreign staff to be responsible and act like their Japanese counterparts. If this means inputting information into a computer in non-working time, then so be it. If you want to understand G.com/Nova just take a look at how the Japanese staff work and are treated by G.com/Nova.

Japandy
Eikaiwa Hero
Eikaiwa Hero

Unread post by Japandy » Wed Nov 05, 2008 1:51 pm

Propaganda. As you or anyone else well knows the vast majority of people employed by Nova want to leave as soon as they finish and I highly doubt they will be happy about having to stay back, even if for only 5 minutes. HTs, Trainers, ATs, everyone that I worked with couldn't wait to get the hell out of there and I doubt it's changed.

Examination_Hell
Eikaiwa Hero
Eikaiwa Hero

Unread post by Examination_Hell » Wed Nov 05, 2008 10:22 pm

Langslave wrote:Ahh filling out in class, I used to have most of mine done in the first 10 minutes while they were introducing. Most of their good/bad points were immediately obvious and rarely changed in the body of the lesson.
haha - and once you got to know your students you could fill them out in the teacher's room before the lesson even begins. :)
Wake up, school, club activities, piano lessons, juku, [s]nova,[/s] english school, challenge school, homework, sleep, wake up, school...

quato
Jaded Veteran
Jaded Veteran

Unread post by quato » Wed Nov 05, 2008 11:54 pm

Examination_Hell wrote:
Langslave wrote:Ahh filling out in class, I used to have most of mine done in the first 10 minutes while they were introducing. Most of their good/bad points were immediately obvious and rarely changed in the body of the lesson.
haha - and once you got to know your students you could fill them out in the teacher's room before the lesson even begins. :)
I got called out once because I wrote some really detailed comments for the student and forgot to cross them out when the student no-showed! :haha: I did the same with level-up slips.

exUsagiCoalMiner
Cassandra
Cassandra
Location: In the concrete jungle known as "the Kitchen of Japan"....

Unread post by exUsagiCoalMiner » Thu Nov 06, 2008 12:54 am

quato wrote:
Examination_Hell wrote:
I got called out once because I wrote some really detailed comments for the student and forgot to cross them out when the student no-showed! :haha: I did the same with level-up slips.
Ditto, but on the MMC computers. I always got in trouble for having all my comments done within 5 minutes of the start bell ringing.
"But it's got sharp, pointy teeth!"

exUsagiCoalMiner
Cassandra
Cassandra

Unread post by exUsagiCoalMiner » Thu Dec 18, 2008 12:03 am

Was that a spam attack or intentional?
I opened the links but couldn't be bothered to read them. A quick scan of them looks like they were all bashing the russians...

Stick-Swinging Incident
9 miles of bad road
9 miles of bad road

Unread post by Stick-Swinging Incident » Thu Dec 18, 2008 12:52 am

Seems he's hit a few of the other threads, SPAM attack.
[i][size=150][color=#4040FF] §[/color][/size][/i]

exUsagiCoalMiner
Cassandra
Cassandra

Unread post by exUsagiCoalMiner » Thu Dec 18, 2008 1:00 am

And he joined today, made 8 posts and pissed off. Yeah, SPAM attack.

Prince percy
Fresh & Minty
Fresh & Minty

Unread post by Prince percy » Sun Dec 21, 2008 2:55 am

So, over 1 year on and they are still there.

Guess I get to go back and make my signature out of your own words. :haha:

exUsagiCoalMiner
Cassandra
Cassandra

Unread post by exUsagiCoalMiner » Sat Feb 21, 2009 12:02 am

We have another spam attack? Got a notification of a new post, but nothing here...

RandyDickson
Eikaiwa Hero
Eikaiwa Hero

Unread post by RandyDickson » Sat Feb 21, 2009 8:27 pm

Cool, I'll join you over here ExUsagiCoalMiner.
When do people think that G.Com's demise will be?
[i]Life is but a walking shadow, a poor player that struts and frets his hour upon the stage and then is heard no more. It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.[/i][center][/center]

exUsagiCoalMiner
Cassandra
Cassandra

Unread post by exUsagiCoalMiner » Sat Feb 21, 2009 8:47 pm

RandyDickson wrote:When do people think that G.Com's demise will be?
I still think the sooner, the better! But, depending on the economy, I'd give 'em maybe 18 months tops.

RandyDickson
Eikaiwa Hero
Eikaiwa Hero

Unread post by RandyDickson » Sat Feb 21, 2009 8:54 pm

From all the changes I've read bout, I think
they'll be lucky to see the year out.
[i]Life is but a walking shadow, a poor player that struts and frets his hour upon the stage and then is heard no more. It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.[/i][center][/center]

InTheColdLightOfDay
9 miles of bad road
9 miles of bad road

Unread post by InTheColdLightOfDay » Sat Feb 21, 2009 10:02 pm

I dunno. They've blindly pumped so much money into it already, I can't see them just pulling out any time soon.
IF they go, it's going to be long, drawn-out and painful.
They may just end up dramatically downsizing.
Each monkeys has different face. It's very difficult to distinguish monkey's face, like we can't memorize foreigner's face.